• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Allegiant Air and "60 Minutes"

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
"A seven-month "60 Minutes" investigation into Allegiant Air, the Las Vegas-based ultra-low-cost carrier, found more than 100 serious incidents involving mechanical issues. "

"Between Jan. 1, 2016 and the end of Oct. 2017, "60 Minutes" found more than 100 serious mechanical incidents, including mid-air engine failures, smoke and fumes in the cabin, rapid descents, flight control malfunctions, hydraulic leaks and aborted takeoffs."

more info:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-60-minutes-defensive-2018-04-16/

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't fly Allegiant at any price.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I don't fly low cost carriers but any time I see 60 minutes, I have to consider the source.

60 minutes hasn't had any credibility in years.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Trust me, this one is pretty accurate.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Even scarier is the lack of concrete action by the FAA.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Even more scarier'r is the fact that they continue to hire FAA employees and continue to avoid fines and action.

Two the incidents that occurred were 'crashes' that were avoided by the crew with great responses.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was one scary 60 Minutes segment.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Wow! We were thinking of flying them from Vegas to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore. I knew they are a budget airline, but didn’t realize the extent of their safety issues. We will have to explore other alternatives.

Best regards.

Mike

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They came into our town a couple years ago. We thought that having scheduled service to Las Vegas would be useful, as otherwise, all we had (and still do) is Delta to SLC 3-4 flights a day. Turned out, all Allegiant wanted to sell was air/hotel packages. Outbound flights to Vegas on Friday evening, and a return flight on Monday. No chance of using them to make a connection to anywhere. They lasted a few months and quietly folded their tent. It wasn't a safety issue, but one of convenience.

Jim

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I just flew Allegiant last month and will fly them again. I flew Spirit last month too and will be flying Spirit again this weekend. I also use Frontier. Last year Delta made it off my do not fly list after 16 years but only because I didn't have another option for that trip. I've flown Jet Blue, Delta, United, Southwest, Air Tran, American, Continental and probably other major airlines I'm forgetting and have noticed things I wondered about on them too. I question the FAA more than the airlines.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The FAA representative should have never been hired. He was scarier than the Airlines many infractions.How can someone that weeak be in such a position????

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Never flown them and never will. Last time I mentioned that on TUG, I was somewhat disparaged for stating that. I followed that airline for quite a while and I've not changed my opinion that the savings aren’t worth the risk. The chance of a total catastrophe might be low but being stranded or worse because of maintenance problems is certainly higher than other airlines. Having 40+ years in the airplane business, I’d rather go Greyhound than Allegiant.

The FAA is equally culpable here. I’ve no problem with their change in approach to regulating but when problems like this show up, it DEMANDS immediate and strong action, not just a nanny nanny boo boo letter.

Cheers

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
No chance of using them to make a connection to anywhere.

I don't believe they offer connecting flights anywhere anyway. If you want to "connect", you have to buy two or more individual segments which means you would have to pay twice for luggage/carry-on.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Just an observation....

My concerns are not based on the 60 minutes show....but they did a nice job to point out the problems.
This is MUCH deeper than some 'media outlet' choosing a topic of the day for sensational headlines.
IMNSHO, this is an endemic problem with the airline.

Hopefully--for the passengers and employees--this will tighten things up and fix some of the issues without hurting pax or putting all the employees out on the street.

Tamino

Reaction score
The NTSB is an agency with safety as a priority and one in which I have the greatest respect. Not so with the FAA. Promotion of air carriers and airlines in general is their mandate, not safety. The FAA only acts when deaths occur.

There are a number of airlines which I will not fly no matter the ticket price: Spirit, Allegiant, and Ryan Air.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
While it is true that most of their problems have been with older MD-80 Series Airframes and the JT8D Engines, I have great confidence that the slipshod maintenance practices will eventually result in similar results on their newer Airbus Equipment unless the FAA wakes up.

Cheers

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chance of a total catastrophe might be low but being stranded or worse because of maintenance problems is certainly higher than other airlines.
This gets at the reason I do not fly Allegiant. They only have a few flights each week to the destinations I have in mind, and they don't have interline agreements. So, if for some reason your flight is cancelled, it will be a very long time before you get where you are going if you aren't wiling to buy another ticket at last-minute fares yourself. Spirit is better in terms of frequency, but also will not write you over to anyone else.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't fly low cost carriers but any time I see 60 minutes, I have to consider the source.

60 minutes hasn't had any credibility in years.

I have no interest in defending 60 Minutes (and I'm not sure that Allegiant even operates in my geographic area at all), but I watched the subject piece last night and have to ask --- do you actually doubt the veracity of passenger eyewitnesses, video recordings or statistics and reports provided (even if only belatedly and reluctantly) directly from Allegiant itself in response to FOIA requests? With all the damning hard facts and evidence, what's not credible to you in this matter? :shrug:

I would never set foot on an Allegiant aircraft. Cutting costs and staying low budget by skirting critical aircraft maintenance and repairs on (old to begin with) aircraft is (IMnsHO) indefensible and just flat out frightening as a company practice.

The weakness of (and ongoing inaction by) the FAA is of course another matter entirely. :ponder:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Didn't the pilots union write a letter a few years ago regarding concern of the maintenance of the aircraft by Allegiant?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I have no interest in defending 60 Minutes (and I'm not sure that Allegiant even operates in my geographic area at all), but I watched the subject piece last night and have to ask --- do you actually doubt the veracity of passenger eyewitnesses, video recordings or statistics and reports provided (even if only belatedly and reluctantly) directly from Allegiant itself in response to FOIA requests? With all the damning hard facts and evidence, what's not credible to you in this matter? :shrug:

I would never set foot on an Allegiant aircraft. Saving money and staying low budget in part by skirting critical aircraft maintenance and repairs on old aircraft is (IMnsHO) just flat out frightening as a company practice.

The weakness of (and ongoing inaction by) the FAA is of course another matter entirely. :ponder:

I won’t fly any low cost carrier. They have to shave costs somehow.

I think the Tampa Tribune or some paper in the area did an expose on Allegiant. I still won’t watch 60 minutes. They blew all credibility in the Audi “unintended acceleration” days.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My biggest problem with the low cost carriers is that when ever there is any type of issue, you probably won’t get there on time, if at all. At this point in my life, I’ll pay a little more to get there.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
My biggest problem with the low cost carriers is that when ever there is any type of issue, you probably won’t get there on time, if at all. At this point in my life, I’ll pay a little more to get there.

You’re right. A bunch of Sun Country passengers just got stranded in Los Cabos.

Years ago a bunch of friends planned a trip to Maui. They all flew Rich air. I flew United. Rich air went bankrupt a day before we were heading home. I had no problems as it was in the pre-beating era.