• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VAC/ILG shareholder activism speculation [THREAD CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't understand. ILG would remain in control ("Such a deal could also allow ILG CEO Craig Nash to lead the combined company"). The Diamond leadership would be out (hurray, hurray), and Diamond would be under the Vistana umbrella. What am I missing?

I think the fear is the stench associated with Diamond is so strong that it would infect ILG/Vistana. As a former Diamond owner myself, I can understand the concern.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't understand. ILG would remain in control ("Such a deal could also allow ILG CEO Craig Nash to lead the combined company"). The Diamond leadership would be out (hurray, hurray), and Diamond would be under the Vistana umbrella. What am I missing?
Diamond would be under the ownership of ILG, not necessarily Vistana. Think Hyatt and Vistana. They are both owned by ILG but Vistana doesn't own Hyatt and Hyatt doesn't own Vistana.

BigMac

Reaction score
Looks like ILG wants to get tacky inferior diamond resorts as a poisoned pill to thwart any VAC takeover.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond would be under the ownership of ILG, not necessarily Vistana. Think Hyatt and Vistana. They are both owned by ILG but Vistana doesn't own Hyatt and Hyatt doesn't own Vistana.

Ok, but this clarification doesn't answer my question. Why do some TUGers think the StarOption system would be endangered by a ILG/DRI merger? ILG's management will remain in charge of the combined organization.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ok, but this clarification doesn't answer my question. Why do some TUGers think the StarOption system would be endangered by a ILG/DRI merger? ILG's management will remain in charge of the combined organization.
It really wouldn't. ILG acquiring Hyatt and Wyndham acquiring Worldmark and Shell really didn't change their systems. The offers some extra perks to cross over, but the underlying systems never changed. I doubt Diamond would really have any impact on the VSN StarOption system.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It really wouldn't. ILG acquiring Hyatt and Wyndham acquiring Worldmark and Shell really didn't change their systems. The offers some extra perks to cross over, but the underlying systems never changed. I doubt Diamond would really have any impact on the VSN StarOption system.
There will always be more differences, also called money grab. Wyndham is tightening the screws on Worldmark, with guest certificatte fees beyond one booking per X points etc... there used to be no restrictions/no fees, slow transfers, and enticing owners to give the proxy to Wyndham through sweepstakes so that they can change the owner-friendly rules of Worldmark. I feel more uneasy with Vistana ownership under ILG, starting with the new guest certificate fees and also slow transfers. Not sure what else is coming down the line.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like ILG wants to get tacky inferior diamond resorts as a poisoned pill to thwart any VAC takeover.

Automobile companies market different product lines to differ market segments -- Toyota and Lexus; Chevrolet and Cadillac. Could ILG market Hyatt and Vistana to the high end market and Diamond to the mid level market?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am trying to figure out why Marriott would want ILG, which includes the exchange company as well. How big of a player does Marriott want to be in the timeshare industry. I thought the timeshares were managed by a completely different entity than Marriott hotels? This is baffling. But if Marriott did acquire ILG, would we see more Residence Inn accommodations as exchanges? I saw a few weeks about a year ago showing as II exchanges at the Residence Inn in Anaheim but couldn't fit the dates into my schedule.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out why Marriott would want ILG, which includes the exchange company as well. How big of a player does Marriott want to be in the timeshare industry. I thought the timeshares were managed by a completely different entity than Marriott hotels? This is baffling. But if Marriott did acquire ILG, would we see more Residence Inn accommodations as exchanges? I saw a few weeks about a year ago showing as II exchanges at the Residence Inn in Anaheim but couldn't fit the dates into my schedule.

Marriott timeshares are managed by a completely different entity from Marriott hotels. They are separate business and no, you won't see Residence Inn accommodations as exchanges. Was the Residence Inn an exchange or a getaway? I cannot imagine Residence Inn being available as an exchange at all.

I think what Marriott will gain is the ability to control more of the premium timeshare brands and maybe "save" from payments to II for MVC DC members, but I think these payments are small potatoes and cannot be the main reason for the merger. What they will do with it, only time will tell. My biggest fear is that they will do something like Wyndham where developer-bought timeshare has access to Shell and Worldmark inventory at 10 months. Frankly speaking, we really love Marriott timeshare resorts and do not like competition from other systems into Marriott's inventory pool. I hope they will be kept separate. Our good friends who own a ton of Vistana, all developer bought, are hoping that the merger means that they will have access to the Marriott timeshare system. :) :eek:

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Residence Inn in Anaheim was offered as an exchange. I posted the sighting back then.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sighting:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...d-never-have-seen-residence-inn-in-ii.245475/
And when I did my search, I saw a lot of people posted about Residence Inn being in Getaways on II, as you suggested. Interesting.
Got it. I did a search and found it too, back in Aug 2016. I have also seen some last minute stuff that are available in both Getaways and Exchange at resorts that were never available as Exchanges. Maybe II can make exception for crossovers, and splits the revenue between the hotel and II.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of questions.

The article says “merger”.

Who is acquiring who? Will it be a blended corporation like Marriott and SPG?

It will probably take years to complete. (Think AA and US Air).

If IT has trouble with the current system it seems a nightmare in the making.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very curious who would come out on top-- Marriott or ILG. ILG is worth about a half B-billion more than Marriott at the moment.
Lots of change coming--- Marriott vacations and Marriott Rewards (Is gold really gold anymore???).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If IT has trouble with the current system it seems a nightmare in the making.

Now that I have spent enough time on the MVC system, the Vistana one is way superior. With the Vistana system, you know which bucket of points that you are using to book, when you cancel and rebook are all done real time.

Last edited:

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
Looks like Wall Street is liking the idea of an acquisition - both ILG and VAC up 7% and 6%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I like this acquisition -- mostly because I was terrified that Apollo Global Management (the private equity firm that currently runs DRI) would be the purchaser. Under Apollo's plan, DRI was to run the expanded ILG which could wreak havoc on Marriott and Vistana owners' rights.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like this acquisition -- mostly because I was terrified that Apollo Global Management (the private equity firm that currently runs DRI) would be the purchaser.
I know! I would have to sell everything I own in Vistana (formerly Starwood).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I like this acquisition -- mostly because I was terrified that Apollo Global Management (the private equity firm that currently runs DRI) would be the purchaser. Under Apollo's plan, DRI was to run the expanded ILG which could wreak havoc on Marriott and Vistana owners' rights.
I think you mean Hyatt instead of Marriott, since ILG doesn't own Marriott (at least not yet). Apollo would just be in it for the money. If ILG were to be acquired by Apollo, chances are that they would be willing to spin off Vistana and just sell them to Marriott for a hefty price tag.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The company that might merge with ILG is NOT the Marriott International, Inc. hotel company (MAR). The merger would be between ILG and Marriott Vacations Worldwide (VAC), the company that owns and manages Marriott Vacation Club.

I think the appeal is combining the Marriott Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, and Sheraton Vacation Club under the same corporate umbrella. All three of those brands are now owned by MAR, so after a merger, VAC would control all the Marriott-owned timeshare brands. Who knows, they might even sell or spin-off the exchange business after a merger.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having been through several mergers myself, the only people who benefit are the bankers, lawyers, and executives. Customers, employers and shareholders typically get hosed. I have not yet observed a merger for which the combined company is better for customers after the merger. Be careful what you wish for.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Having been through several mergers myself, the only people who benefit are the bankers, lawyers, and executives. Customers, employers and shareholders typically get hosed. I have not yet observed a merger for which the combined company is better for customers after the merger. Be careful what you wish for.

What I wish for is no changes at all.

What I fear is a predatory private equity firm having any control over my timeshare life.

Status
Not open for further replies.