• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting your points for a Disney Cruise

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I ran across a website that will rent your points out and then use that money to get you on a Member Cruise. You won’t have to pay the $95 exchange fee and you can use non-developer, non-DVC, purchased points bought after March 1, 2011.

I’m not positive how they do it unless they us set you up with a member who books the cruise for cash in your name and their membership. But why would the owner do that? Are they paid $$.. I’m at a loss but maybe I’m missing something very obvious.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I ran across a website that will rent your points out and then use that money to get you on a Member Cruise. You won’t have to pay the $95 exchange fee and you can use non-developer, non-DVC, purchased points bought after March 1, 2011.

I’m not positive how they do it unless they us set you up with a member who books the cruise for cash in your name and their membership. But why would the owner do that? Are they paid $$.. I’m at a loss but maybe I’m missing something very obvious.
It's basically a rental in both directions. Just compare to renting and paying cash on your own, while I haven't compared, I suspect it's still cheaper just to rent out and book elsewhere for the cruise. You have more control and less aggravation overall.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My interest is solely the Member Cruise. That’s the only Disney cruise I care about. How can I rent my points to get on the Member Cruise if I bought post 2011? I don’t want to list the website but they used the term “cruise swap”

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My interest is solely the Member Cruise. That’s the only Disney cruise I care about. How can I rent my points to get on the Member Cruise if I bought post 2011? I don’t want to list the website but they used the term “cruise swap”

OH NEVER MIND.. THIS POINT SWAP IS NOT FOR THE MEMBER CRUISE! IT'S FOR ANY OTHER DISNEY CRUISE.:doh:I KNEW IT! I'M AN IDIOT!!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OH NEVER MIND.. THIS POINT SWAP IS NOT FOR THE MEMBER CRUISE! IT'S FOR ANY OTHER DISNEY CRUISE.:doh:I KNEW IT! I'M AN IDIOT!!
Give yourself a break, we've all done something similar many times and will again. I didn't realize your goal was to get on the member cruise but assumed it was to use points to get a better value than through DVC directly. The only indirect way I know to get on a member cruise is to have someone who qualifies reserve for you. A qualifying member can reserve up to 4 cabins and I don't believe there's any restriction on who the cabins have to be for. Obviously entrusting such matters to a third party is difficult so I'd only want to do so where I was comfortable. I haven't been on a member cruise and I don't think I want to, Kool-aid drinkers would drive me crazy.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't you simply use cash for the Member's Cruise?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So would I need to have that number of direct/grandfathered points?
Correct, you'd have to be grandfathered for before the first set of changed. Basically if you can't use points for a cruise, you can't do the member cruise.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 25 OKW points from Disney Vacation Club last year. If I remember correctly members may pay for the Member Cruise with cash. Since I own 25 Developer points would that allow me to pay for the Member Cruise with cash?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 25 OKW points from Disney Vacation Club last year. If I remember correctly members may pay for the Member Cruise with cash. Since I own 25 Developer points would that allow me to pay for the Member Cruise with cash?
Yes, as long as you have qualified points you can do the member cruise on cash.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as you have qualified points you can do the member cruise on cash.

That’s so cool. Thanks!!

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages of going on a DVC member cruise other than mingling with fellow DVC owners? I went on a Disney Bahamas Cruise and hope to go again some day. I loved Castaway Cay.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages of going on a DVC member cruise other than mingling with fellow DVC owners? I went on a Disney Bahamas Cruise and hope to go again some day. I loved Castaway Cay.

The Member Cruises always have interesting speakers. They give out presents every night to every person in your cabin. The ships make two stops at Castaway Key. There are kids, but usually fewer of them, so that your kids will have the kids' clubs and counselors to themselves. It costs more than a regular Disney Cruise though.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Give yourself a break, we've all done something similar many times and will again. I didn't realize your goal was to get on the member cruise but assumed it was to use points to get a better value than through DVC directly. The only indirect way I know to get on a member cruise is to have someone who qualifies reserve for you. A qualifying member can reserve up to 4 cabins and I don't believe there's any restriction on who the cabins have to be for. Obviously entrusting such matters to a third party is difficult so I'd only want to do so where I was comfortable. I haven't been on a member cruise and I don't think I want to, Kool-aid drinkers would drive me crazy.

Hi Dean, I was just going through my Alerts and found your post above. Thanks a lot for saying all that reassuring stuff. I really thought I had lost my mind. After all these years as a member, I am still flummoxed sometimes.

As far as the Kool-aid, it is fun comparing resorts, points (et al) with other members. There were the DVC trivia games, that I always won, but there are other things, non-Disney Vacation Club, as well.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dean, I was just going through my Alerts and found your post above. Thanks a lot for saying all that reassuring stuff. I really thought I had lost my mind. After all these years as a member, I am still flummoxed sometimes.

As far as the Kool-aid, it is fun comparing resorts, points (et al) with other members. There were the DVC trivia games, that I always won, but there are other things, non-Disney Vacation Club, as well.
I'm sure there are things I'd enjoy but other things that'd drive me crazy. It's certainly not worth it to me to pay more, esp when I don't see Disney in general as worth more than other comparable cruise lines. We're taking the family with grandkids in 2019 and we'll likely do it in a few more years as the younger ones are older but I'm guessing that'll be it for DCL for us unless something changes.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, you'd have to be grandfathered for before the first set of changed. Basically if you can't use points for a cruise, you can't do the member cruise.

I have a direct contract. Hmm.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a direct contract. Hmm.
With direct points historically (not a minimum of 75 pts) one could pay cash for a member cruise. For non member cruises or to use points at all, one would have to pay one adult on points in total.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Yes for paying cash for members cruise with small direct points. Did it with 35 direct points. Members cruise has nice additional lecturers and entertainment such as lead broadway singers from Mary poppins and Tarzan sang songs including from upcoming Frozen play. Voice of goofy was MC for beach games. Disney engineeer for rollercoaster talked about early days at disnyland Disney animators went thru how an animated movie is done etc. We loved it. Didn’t really care about the gifts. Didn’t really mingle with anyone and talk about dvc on the cruise.

Last edited: