• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Speaking for SB floating, they cannot be booked with check ins before 3/16.
I just tried the villa finder online and can not book anything at all. I'm wondering if they are using my Sunset Bay week to search, but no other phases show available.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only see the calendar showing green starting on 3/16. I own one SB and two VG and that's all I see.

schafercpa

Reaction score
Going thru withdrawal and could not wait til 2019. Leaving this week for a 7 nite stay. No direct flights from NYC as of time of booking and must connect in Miami. One interesting side note....
Only after purchasing a prepaid AT&T Sim card for my iphone did I find that Verizon now includes the USVI as part of the home network. No more $2.99 a minute calls. Only 3G available and I am sure reception will be spotty but never the less a welcome bit of news! Just remember, before you leave, to make Verizon aware that you will not be traveling to BVI so if and when your signal bounces off one of their cell towers, you will not be hit for extra roaming charges.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was looking to by something at WSJ and there are some great deals out there now. However, living on the west coast, the flight time and ferry time to get to St John seems too long and complicated. We have Marriott DC points to stay at St Thomas (the Cove or Ritz Carlton) so I figured we could stay there every 5 years and take the ferry over. I doubt we would visit more than once every 5 years. I know some people do not mind the complicated flight and ferry schedule but my DH hates it. Am I missing something? Should I jump on one of these WSJ deals I am seeing know, given all the uncertainty about the recovery?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s a personal decision. For us living in the Bay Area, we think it’s worth the trouble to be in a place as magical as St John. Like you, we are Marriott owners and our first exposure to St John and WSJ was when we stayed at the Marriott St Thomas. Once we saw the island and snorkeled around it, we were hooked! We don’t even mind going there just for one week although some west coast folks (like DavidnRobin) do go for two weeks at a time.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I guess it’s a personal decision. For us living in the Bay Area, we think it’s worth the trouble to be in a place as magical as St John. Like you, we are Marriott owners and our first exposure to St John and WSJ was when we stayed at the Marriott St Thomas. Once we saw the island and snorkeled around it, we were hooked! We don’t even mind going there just for one week although some west coast folks (like DavidnRobin) do go for two weeks at a time.

True - 2 weeks on STJ is >2x better than 1 week. IMO
Our biggest issue with 1 week was by the time we got acclimated (June in STJ is hot and humid) it was almost time to go home.
It is 14.5 hours door-to-door for us (taking red-eye), and we are 10-15 mins from SFO.

TravelTime - Why would you buy if you would only go once every 5 years? Better off renting from an Owner. WSJ is a place to buy to use (except maybe 3Bd VGV Pool Villas in Plat+ season as the SO/MF ratio is quite good - for now...). Good luck.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I reserved and received the confirmation for our VGV weeks in June 2019.
Still no one with early 2019 reservations?

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going thru withdrawal and could not wait til 2019. Leaving this week for a 7 nite stay. No direct flights from NYC as of time of booking and must connect in Miami. One interesting side note....
Only after purchasing a prepaid AT&T Sim card for my iphone did I find that Verizon now includes the USVI as part of the home network. No more $2.99 a minute calls. Only 3G available and I am sure reception will be spotty but never the less a welcome bit of news! Just remember, before you leave, to make Verizon aware that you will not be traveling to BVI so if and when your signal bounces off one of their cell towers, you will not be hit for extra roaming charges.

When you arrive to STJ, can you let us know if they're letting people walk around Caneel property at all? Really curious if they'll let someone drive/walk in.
Thanks and enjoy.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks.
Has anyone have an early 2019 reservation for the other phases (BV, CV, or SB)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Thanks.
Has anyone have an early 2019 reservation for the other phases (BV, CV, or SB)?

I can’t book any reservation at WSJ. Not even in Jan 2019 or later. I’m wondering if that is due to my SB ownership and 12 months out usage rights conflicting with the unknown status of the villa repairs.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I can’t book any reservation at WSJ. Not even in Jan 2019 or later. I’m wondering if that is due to my SB ownership and 12 months out usage rights conflicting with the unknown status of the villa repairs.

What it looks like so far - based on reports - is that there have been no early 2019 reservations for CV and SB.
This may be because of unknown status of repairs of these phases at this point. SB was severely damaged from my understanding.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What it looks like so far - based on reports - is that there have been no early 2019 reservations for CV and SB.
This may be because of unknown status of repairs of these phases at this point. SB was severely damaged from my understanding.

I'm sure you are right. I can't book anything at WSJ at all. It shows green in the villa finder for April 2019 dates but it is not clickable to make a reservation. If I scroll backwards to January, less than 12 months out in my season (1-15, 51, 52) but still in my 12 month booking preference it shows nothing but grey. I'll be curious to see if it allow me to book other phases at 8 months out.

Here's hoping to hear some resolution soon on SB.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm sure you are right. I can't book anything at WSJ at all. It shows green in the villa finder for April 2019 dates but it is not clickable to make a reservation. If I scroll backwards to January, less than 12 months out in my season (1-15, 51, 52) but still in my 12 month booking preference it shows nothing but grey. I'll be curious to see if it allow me to book other phases at 8 months out.

Here's hoping to hear some resolution soon on SB.

I can’t recall - have you called Owner Services? What do they say in regards to trying to make a reservation (booked or cannot be reserved?)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There is ‘talk’ on FB that currently there is no/little work going on at WSJ.
I have no idea if true or not - this came from someone living on island.
But, surprised if true...
Wonder what WSJ GM Sam Hugli would say about this, and the potential lack of early 2019 reservations for CV and BV?

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone should just call and find out - rather than speculating. I have reservations and it seems like you can book for April 16 and later. I own Bay Vista Phase and even those units say not available.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
SB still can’t reserve. Calendar is green starting mid April but not clickable.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
True - 2 weeks on STJ is >2x better than 1 week. IMO
Our biggest issue with 1 week was by the time we got acclimated (June in STJ is hot and humid) it was almost time to go home.
It is 14.5 hours door-to-door for us (taking red-eye), and we are 10-15 mins from SFO.

TravelTime - Why would you buy if you would only go once every 5 years? Better off renting from an Owner. WSJ is a place to buy to use (except maybe 3Bd VGV Pool Villas in Plat+ season as the SO/MF ratio is quite good - for now...). Good luck.

We decided against buying. At first we thought we might go EOY, but then we looked at how complicated the flights are and reflected on all the problems we had on our last trip to St John. So we decided buying at WSJ is not for us. A big deal breaker was the lack of views at WSJ. Only the hillside villas have some views but we heard they are far off views and some are good and some are just okay. Our only experience with St John was at Caneel Bay and nothing could ever compare to that so we decided we might be disappointed at WSJ. So we will wait until Caneel Bay reopens, if ever, to revisit. Or take day trips from St Thomas.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We decided against buying. At first we thought we might go EOY, but then we looked at how complicated the flights are and reflected on all the problems we had on our last trip to St John. So we decided buying at WSJ is not for us. A big deal breaker was the lack of views at WSJ. Only the hillside villas have some views but we heard they are far off views and some are good and some are just okay. Our only experience with St John was at Caneel Bay and nothing could ever compare to that so we decided we might be disappointed at WSJ. So we will wait until Caneel Bay reopens, if ever, to revisit. Or take day trips from St Thomas.

Where do you stay in St. Thomas? I can't imagine ever staying there for an entire week when WSJ is so close.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

We own EOY in the Bay Vista Section.......We have a view from our units. I get the travel time/distance thing......its why we have only been to Hawaii twice. Caneel Bay will be many years before its open. There has been zero work done at the resort and when it does, most of the building will need to be razed and start from scratch. And there is still a "if" as to it ever opening back up again (It will, but there are politics and money involved that will drag it out).

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is so sad to hear about Caneel Bay. It is a St John landmark. I hope things will work out and it will be re-opened one day.