• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine says "Renew Platinum Elite at 75 nights"
Even as Lifetime Platinum, mine still shows “Renew Platinum Elite at 75 nights" which is a little disconcerting.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do travel packages work?
For non-Marriott owners, one can convert Marriott Reward Points to a 7-night travel package constituting 7 nights hotel stay and varying amount of miles. The number of miles is dependent on which category of hotel and airline you pick.

See link here: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

For Marriott owners, can you do so for 5-night travel package, constituting 5 nights hotel stay plus miles. This one you have to log on to MVC to see.

https://owners.marriottvacationclub.com/timeshare/mvco/marriottRewardsOwnerSpecials

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I have concerns about this, but will withhold judgment until I see the actual results. We will experience the contrast first-hand. I earned MR Lifetime Platinum through my hotel stay activities over the past 25+ years. My wife received her MR Platinum status by using her MR number on our MVCI account. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming changes affect our respective MR accounts.

I am also interested to see what happens in the credit card realm. We currently hold both the SPG Amex and Marriott Visa cards. Not sure who will win this battle. With the Marriott card, we get the annual free night benefit and 5 points per dollar. However, I understand that using the SPG card at Marriott properties gets 2 SPG points (which can be converted to 6 MR points based on the existing 3:1 ratio between MR and SPG points).

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I believe there is still a lot of value outside of travel packages (including but not limited to upgrades, late checkout, significant bonus points for elites, lounge access, free breakfast for elites, frequent Megabonus promotions, etc.). Your comments emphasize the number of MR points you get for converting a timeshare week. I agree that this has little value anymore, but MR is a hotel loyalty program so the timeshare conversion is just one minor aspect of it. I agree that the travel packages still have great value and I have never suggested otherwise. I would also ask you: if MR has no value outside of travel packages, why do so many TUGGERs put forth such effort to maintain elite status and achieve lifetime platinum?

The original quote you commented on was "Marriott status aside, The travel packages are the only real value of MR. If the above is true, can't wait to see how this gets implemented." So when you commented You got to be kidding, if you put aside Marriott status that leaves only the travel package to apply your comment to.

We are in agreement on Marriott status as being a benefit. I am yearly platinum and lifetime gold. I have 2.4M lifetime points and 600 plus night if the change doesn't get me lounge access or breakfast, I would not be a happy camper but as stated I would adjust and move on.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Just logged into my Marriott app on the phone which just updated today. It says lifetime status 35 nights, renew Gold Elite at 50 nights. We have always been recognized at Marriott hotels as being Gold ELite. So since it says I have 35 lifetime nights but recognizes me as Gold Elite, is Gold Elite achieved at 35 nights or 50 nights? Call me confused.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yearly renewable Gold has always been 50. Not sure why lifetime status is 35, as you should have alot more lifetime nights, unless you need another 35 nights to reach your lifetime Gold status.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Yearly renewable Gold has always been 50. Not sure why lifetime status is 35, as you should have alot more lifetime nights, unless you need another 35 nights to reach your lifetime Gold status.

I do not understand the nights requirement. We got Gold Elite just by signing up for the Ritz Carlton credit card. We also get Gold Elite with Executive level at MVC. I do not find Gold status all that great since the hotels do not honor the room upgrades or late check out until the day of, pending availability. The only nice thing is the bonus points. Platinum status does not seem to offer too many more benefits. So can someone explain how the nights matter? I think I may be missing something.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The original quote you commented on was "Marriott status aside, The travel packages are the only real value of MR. If the above is true, can't wait to see how this gets implemented." So when you commented You got to be kidding, if you put aside Marriott status that leaves only the travel package to apply your comment to.

We are in agreement on Marriott status as being a benefit. I am yearly platinum and lifetime gold. I have 2.4M lifetime points and 600 plus night if the change doesn't get me lounge access or breakfast, I would not be a happy camper but as stated I would adjust and move on.
I think we do agree. I did not focus of the "Marriott status aside" because status benefits are the major benefits of any loyalty program. Excluding them is like saying, "Engine aside, the car doesn't run very well."

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been lifetime platinum for a few years now, and my account has always said this.
Benefits aside, followed by a positive statement like the travel packages is the only real value implies the benefits are positive.

Engine aside, the c
I think we do agree. I did not focus of the "Marriott status aside" because status benefits are the major benefits of any loyalty program. Excluding them is like saying, "Engine aside, the car doesn't run very well."

Marriott status aside means I am not referring to it in what follows. But let's put aside each of our asides. My statement ..travel packages are only real value. Your Statement ..Car doesn't run very well. you believe these statements are equivalent in emphasizing a point. Now if you want to say ...the car runs well I will agree. Opinions are like butts....everyone has one and no one thinks theirs smells. Time to move on or at least I am.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum status does not seem to offer too many more benefits. So can someone explain how the nights matter? I think I may be missing something.
The big benefit on Platinum is 48 hotel guarantee and late checkout. Also, with SPG the Delta crossover rewards get you some perks if you have to fly Delta. When you go to Platinum Premiere on Marriott side, the United status (though only Silver) and the dedicated line are bonus. As PP I am about 90% upgrades. I agree that gold is not much but as you noticed, doesn’t take much to get. Almost half hotel is probably gold status.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not understand the nights requirement. We got Gold Elite just by signing up for the Ritz Carlton credit card. We also get Gold Elite with Executive level at MVC. I do not find Gold status all that great since the hotels do not honor the room upgrades or late check out until the day of, pending availability. The only nice thing is the bonus points. Platinum status does not seem to offer too many more benefits. So can someone explain how the nights matter? I think I may be missing something.
Gold status gets lounge access which is a significant perk especially in in Europe and Asia. Great varieties of breakfast items, drinks all day and very good hor d'oeuvres all evening.

Platinum is supppsed to get high probability of room upgrades.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Just logged into my Marriott app on the phone which just updated today. It says lifetime status 35 nights, renew Gold Elite at 50 nights. We have always been recognized at Marriott hotels as being Gold ELite. So since it says I have 35 lifetime nights but recognizes me as Gold Elite, is Gold Elite achieved at 35 nights or 50 nights? Call me confused.

You can also achieve Gold status if you have status with United Airlines. I think it's Silver (or above) at United gets you Gold at Marriott, but maybe it's Gold to Gold, I don't remember. My husband (and therefore I, as long as we're married) has lifetime Platinum at United, so as long as United and Marriott have this agreement, we will always be Gold level at Marriott. Plus, it sounds like Executive level in MVC gets you Gold at Marriott. Since we are at Executive level, even if the United/Marriott thing goes away, we will keep our Gold status at Marriott (until Marriott decides to get rid of this too.)

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
It's the Marriott spend part that I am concerned about. I get most of my nights from timeshare stays and using the Marriott visa. Paid stays are usually less than 10 a year.

Neither DH or I travel for work.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's the Marriott spend part that I am concerned about. I get most of my nights from timeshare stays and using the Marriott visa. Paid stays are usually less than 10 a year.

Although I am sure it won’t be viewed that way, timeshare stays are paid stays.
Even ignoring initial purchase prices, all MVC owners will be paying $1-2k or in some cases even more in MFs for each 7 nights stayed every year.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Gold status gets lounge access which is a significant perk especially in in Europe and Asia. Great varieties of breakfast items, drinks all day and very good hor d'oeuvres all evening.

Platinum is supppsed to get high probability of room upgrades.

Is lounge access the same as the Club Lounge? So if your have Gold status, can you use the Club Lounge even if you are not staying in a Club level room?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is lounge access the same as the Club Lounge? So if your have Gold status, can you use the Club Lounge even if you are not staying in a Club level room?
Yes. Your card key should be able to get you into the lounge. Some Marriott hotels are excluded but very few. Lower tier brands like Courtyard would not have the lounge.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Me too but it really is a loophole. With the companies separate what is the hotel company really getting for a timeshare stay?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I am sure it won’t be viewed that way, timeshare stays are paid stays.
Even ignoring initial purchase prices, all MVC owners will be paying $1-2k or in some cases even more in MFs for each 7 nights stayed every year.

The person staying currently gets the credit which doesn’t have to be the person paying the fees. You can snag an AC on II for as little as $200 and receive 7 nights. It’s been nice and hopefully it doesn’t end but I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Almost half hotel is probably gold status.
Not even remotely close to half, although it may seem like that by cruising through TUG or talking only with frequent business travelers.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yearly status levels can be earned by short term loyalty or by means unrelated to stays or reward points earned such as cross brand association that has nothing to do with loyalty to Marriott. I can understand (not like ) the changes in yearly loyalty levels. I have been gifted platinum the last 5 years being between 50 and 65 nights. Do I appreciate it, yes. Did I earn it no. Would it bother me if it stopped, slightly.

Lifetime levels stand the test of time This is all about rewarding for the past while hoping to iincent for the future. I am lifetime gold. I will finish the year at around 650 lifetime nights and 2.5 M lifetime points. No matter what they call my "lifetime" achievement, I hope and expect they grandfather in the benefits. This would recognize loyalty of the past. If they want want to make the next level and the benefits further out of my reach by increasing some metric, I would understand (not like) this.

Right now I often rent my units and vacation outside of timeshares but within Marriott. I got 2700 for my unit that funded 14 nights across New Mexico and in Savannah. Did not look at any other brands. I do not believe Marriott will alienate lifetime loyalty reconciliation earned. If they do, I would be more likely to look outside of Marriott.

In any case, as things change I will adapt.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing that we are 99.9999% certain if they dilute our current Platinum elite status gained through our MVC status, we will not buy anything else to chase a new level. They will be leaving a really bad taste in our mouths.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
As someone with lifetime platinum status, I find this news very disturbing. Hotel points categories are going away and will be determined by market price at time of booking? Horrifying. We always weigh the points to price category when making a reservation and recently I've booked some good (expensive) rooms at the cat 4-5 level. Additionally, I've been making plans to put my DS up at a cat 1 Towne Place Suites for a month next year when he has to do rotations at an out of the way location. Hope I can lock down a booking before the changes are made.

On a side note, I've noticed some IT issues lately with online booking, including a couple that took over a week to get straightened out. Have to wonder what mess is going on with Marriott Rewards these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.