• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicjourney

Reaction score
[Moderator Note - Related thread in the Vistana forum: SPG Marriott Unification]

[Note changes announced 4/16/18; see Post #62 and after.]

Saw on Flyertalk. The Marriott and SPG program will be combined in August, and there will be five status tiers:
Silver status at 10 nights
Gold status at 25 nights
Platinum status at 50 nights
Platinum Premier status at 75 nights
Ambassador program at 100 nights and $20,000 in spending

Platinum status given to Executive and Chairman members is downgrading to a Mid-level, which doesn't get lounge access, breakfast and suite upgrade suggested by some flyertalk insiders. I sincerely hope MVC can work out a deal with Marriott hotel to secure us a Platinum Premier status. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't visit FlyerTalk, did someone get it in writing or is it just rumours? I sure have not gotten the memo ftom Starwood or Marriott.

Select and Executive levels get MR Gold. Presidential and Chairman levels get Platinum.

I find it hard to believe the new mid-tier does not get lounge access since currently Gold gets it. Suite upgrades are never guaranteed. The higher the status the better the chance.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something would have to change unless they just add more benefits to the new top 2 levels. Perhaps that is their theory.

magicjourney

Reaction score
I don't visit FlyerTalk, did someone get it in writing or is it just rumours? I sure have not gotten the memo ftom Starwood or Marriott.

Select and Executive levels get MR Gold. Presidential and Chairman levels get Platinum.

I find it hard to believe the new mid-tier does not get lounge access since currently Gold gets it. Suite upgrades are never guaranteed. The higher the status the better the chance.

Just rumor, but based on my experience, leaked information on flyertalk is normally credible. The problem is currently Plat is the highest published level at Marriott (Plat Premier is unpublished), but soon to be mid-tier if the rumor comes true. That's definitely a downgrade. Here are a post by another flyertalk member:
FWIW speculation on changes to MR as we currently know it, based on discussion with someone in the know at MR but not privy to final decisions:
  • Names of status levels above Platinum have not been confirmed. MR wants to differentiate status levels above platinum to ensure proper recognition and avoid confusion among front line staff. Working names are Platinum 50, Platinum 75 and Platinum 100
  • Instant recognition of status at all levels upon check-in, with arrival points, free HSI, food & beverage vouchers, and choice of other benefits depending on status level
  • Spend requirement for all levels above silver. If spending level not reached, but nights are, status is at appropriate level based on spend.
  • Gold and platinum 50 upgrades limited to preferred level, concierge floor, higher floors, corner rooms, or view rooms at resorts. (No suites!)
  • Guaranteed suite awards (4) per year for platinum 75 and above
  • Guaranteed lounge access only for levels platinum 75 and above
  • Free breakfast at resorts for platinum 75 and above
  • Guaranteed late check-out, 2:00pm for Gold, 3:00pm for Platinum 50, 4:00pm for Platinum 75, Plat 100; resort and conference hotels subject to availability.
  • Platinum guarantees: 48 room guarantee remains, others guarantees are gone (platinum arrival gift, bed type, room type, lounge access, ultimate reservation guarantee)
  • Lifetime status changes coming. If status level not obtained, lifetime status identified in system. New Lifetime Level above Platinum will be added in 2019! Benefits reduced to upgrade to preferred floor for LTG; upgrade, late check-out for LTP
  • Big changes coming to awards! Dynamic award pricing, points required for award night based on hotel room rates at time of booking. No black-out dates, no categories!

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are platinum "elite". How does this figure in to the mix?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Argh, :( - thanks for the info. I guess.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have learned so much on Tug while lurking and now posting. This sounds disappointing. I thought Gold and Executive level meant something. Marriott keeps making it harder to get benefits.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
  • Big changes coming to awards! Dynamic award pricing, points required for award night based on hotel room rates at time of booking. No black-out dates, no categories!

Marriott status aside, The travel packages are the only real value of MR. If the above is true, can't wait to see how this gets implemented.

The other area of interest is how they handle lifetime status which is a recognition of loyality over time. Lifetime platinum benefits are a couple of years away and if the bar is moved too far away, night and points no longer matter it could change what hotels I stay at. Right now I look at which Marriott's offer the best value. It will move to which hotel offers the best value.

While I am complaining, next week I needed a room in SF. Conference going on so 90 percent of the rooms are booked. No problem, I will use the room guarantee platinum benefits. The rate was between 500 to 700 per night at every Marriott. Was not going to conference so no thank you.

If this change happens I won't be happy but I will adjust and move on.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott status aside, The travel packages are the only real value of MR. If the above is true, can't wait to see how this gets implemented.

The other area of interest is how they handle lifetime status which is a recognition of loyality over time. Lifetime platinum benefits are a couple of years away and if the bar is moved too far away, night and points no longer matter it could change what hotels I stay at. Right now I look at which Marriott's offer the best value. It will move to which hotel offers the best value.

While I am complaining, next week I needed a room in SF. Conference going on so 90 percent of the rooms are booked. No problem, I will use the room guarantee platinum benefits. The rate was between 500 to 700 per night at every Marriott. Was not going to conference so no thank you.

If this change happens I won't be happy but I will adjust and move on.

:( I did see this yesterday, but I saw it on Loyalty Lobby. Not sure how all this will play out. Just glad I am Lifetime Platinum, but I can't help but wonder if it means as much now. :ponder:

Last edited by a moderator:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have got to be kidding!

Not sure what you are referring to so to clarify what I meant... I get 130K MR for my week and I haven't exchanged it for points since 2003. It is not worth it. if there is any value to be found with MRP's anymore, your best shot is with travel packages. If you think there is no value with travel packages or you believe there is great value outside of travel packages .... You have got to be kidding!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I almost always convert all of my Marriott and Vistana every other year. I find good value in travel package redemption and have done at least 6 packages to date. I am planning on getting another travel package this week just in case the hammer comes down on Monday.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have learned so much on Tug while lurking and now posting. This sounds disappointing. I thought Gold and Executive level meant something. Marriott keeps making it harder to get benefits.

It will change again not to our benefit. I owned my timeshare for 13 years but many of you for many more years and you have seen many more changes. This is ridiculous in the end our loyalty to marriott it doesn’t really matter.. they would care less.. its all about them making money and the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will change again not to our benefit. I owned my timeshare for 13 years but many of you for many more years and you have seen many more changes. This is ridiculous in the end our loyalty to marriott it doesn’t really matter.. they would care less.. its all about them making money and the bottom line.
Don't forget that Marriott Hotel and Marriott Vacation Club are two different companies.
With the merger there was a problem with two different loyalty programs with two different status.
The changes are good for frequent travelers who are the target of the loyalty program.
The lower requirement for top-tier status is nice since we lost rollover night will make it easier to keep status. Was worried I might miss PP.

Wonder if they will allow for lifetime for upper levels?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that Marriott Hotel and Marriott Vacation Club are two different companies.
With the merger there was a problem with two different loyalty programs with two different status.
The changes are good for frequent travelers who are the target of the loyalty program.
The lower requirement for top-tier status is nice since we lost rollover night will make it easier to keep status. Was worried I might miss PP.

Wonder if they will allow for lifetime for upper levels?
The rumor is not so much that it will be lower requirement for top-tier status, but rather new tiers and requirements are added, which means that the same status will get less in the new structure.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rumor is not so much that it will be lower requirement for top-tier status, but rather new tiers and requirements are added, which means that the same status will get less in the new structure.

Learn to live with it. The bean counters at almost all airlines, hospitality companies, etc. are relentless in devaluing their Programs. When I look back at what Marriott gave me when I bought my first Marriott Week, Sabal Palms pre-construction, about 25 years ago and compare it to today it is unrecognizable.

George

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Hoping for the best, but sounds like disappointment for those Marriott Elite members, especially Platinum. Just goes to show...that the program rules can change at any point....for positive or negative. I remember when the top Marriott Hotel category was 5. Now we've have category 9 for a few years, with a large majority of hotels increasing in category daily.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going to guess that anyone who has achieved lifetime gold or platinum will have to their benefits preserved.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum was 75 now 50
PP was 150ish now 100 gets you top tier

So anyone who qualified for Marriott Platinum will now be PP or Platinum 75 or whatever they call
And now 50 fewer nights for top no longer secret level.

For me it's a big improvement and also thins the upper levels out so better chance at good upgrade.

From FF side that is one of the biggest complaints. That when you check in they explain that there are 50+ platinum staying that night.
And lounges at some hotels were crazy crowded.

But for those who got lifetime status and thought it would worth something, I can see the disappointment.

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can confirm that at least parts of this must be true.
Looking at the marriott app under my account it now says "Renew Platinum Premier Elite at 75 nights"
Other are reporting seeing similar messages for other tiers.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can confirm that at least parts of this must be true.
Looking at the marriott app under my account it now says "Renew Platinum Premier Elite at 75 nights"
Other are reporting seeing similar messages for other tiers.
Mine says "Renew Platinum Elite at 75 nights"

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I almost always convert all of my Marriott and Vistana every other year. I find good value in travel package redemption and have done at least 6 packages to date. I am planning on getting another travel package this week just in case the hammer comes down on Monday.

How do travel packages work?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Not sure what you are referring to so to clarify what I meant... I get 130K MR for my week and I haven't exchanged it for points since 2003. It is not worth it. if there is any value to be found with MRP's anymore, your best shot is with travel packages. If you think there is no value with travel packages or you believe there is great value outside of travel packages .... You have got to be kidding!
I believe there is still a lot of value outside of travel packages (including but not limited to upgrades, late checkout, significant bonus points for elites, lounge access, free breakfast for elites, frequent Megabonus promotions, etc.). Your comments emphasize the number of MR points you get for converting a timeshare week. I agree that this has little value anymore, but MR is a hotel loyalty program so the timeshare conversion is just one minor aspect of it. I agree that the travel packages still have great value and I have never suggested otherwise. I would also ask you: if MR has no value outside of travel packages, why do so many TUGGERs put forth such effort to maintain elite status and achieve lifetime platinum?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.