• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Taking a cruise after a timeshare stay?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say that JudiZ's experience may well have been ship-specific. Carnival ships may have more drunk-kids and overused bathrooms than other cruise lines (Princess, NCL, RCL), but I've not seen it.
Maybe you've been lucky. I don't think one can argue that they target their ads, image, and personna to their chosen clientelle. Young, active, (thirsty) people. Just like Holland America aims theirs at an older, more sedentary geriatric (and fairly well heeled) crowd. Others aim higher on the disposable income scale.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I should have said that mine was a personal experience - I have no stake in this game. Mine may very well be an isolated experience but it was still mine. It's sort of like when you read a review of a timeshare/restaurant/motel and wonder if you all stayed/ate/slept at the same place. Obviously, if everyone had my experience, Carnival wouldn't be in business.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did this once about seven years ago. We stayed at a TS resort for a week in Orlando then took a week-long cruise departing from Tampa. We had no issues. In fact, I liked the idea of being on land close to the departure pier well before departure. We can then get a number of things ready there for the cruise.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We did this once about seven years ago. We stayed at a TS resort for a week in Orlando then took a week-long cruise departing from Tampa. We had no issues. In fact, I liked the idea of being on land close to the departure pier well before departure. We can then get a number of things ready there for the cruise.

Thanks, Lanny. That's a big part of why I'm going to do this cruise. The departure port for the ship is ten minutes from the timeshare. :thumbup:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a TS stay just outside Barcelona, followed by a Westbound transatlantic. When you can make 'em work, they're just about perfect. I prefer the TS first because at the end of the cruise, all your laundry is dirty and you've been out 2-3 weeks and are ready to get back to home,the pets, and whatever passes for life as you know it.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We did a TS stay just outside Barcelona, followed by a Westbound transatlantic. When you can make 'em work, they're just about perfect. I prefer the TS first because at the end of the cruise, all your laundry is dirty and you've been out 2-3 weeks and are ready to get back to home,the pets, and whatever passes for life as you know it.

Jim

That makes a lot of sense. I'd rather do a cruise afterwards, too. Otherwise you relax first, and then get all active at the timeshare. Not a great way to chill out on vacation.

BTW, I was in Barcelona a very, very, very long time ago, courtesy of the US Navy. (~45 years ago... <ackk!!> I've always wanted to go back.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So far we have not done timeshare + cruise but we have been toying with it. It has been SPG & Marriott hotel stays (5-night packages) before and after cruise.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, I was in Barcelona a very, very, very long time ago, courtesy of the US Navy. (~45 years ago... <ackk!!> I've always wanted to go back.
Its a great city. But I imagine traveling as a sailor would be sort of like my former life trucking. I saw a LOT of America, but much of it was the seedier parts, and through a bug splattered windshield. Much better as a tourist. Like getting to use the front door of restaurants instead of the loading dock.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Its a great city. But I imagine traveling as a sailor would be sort of like my former life trucking. I saw a LOT of America, but much of it was the seedier parts, and through a bug splattered windshield. Much better as a tourist. Like getting to use the front door of restaurants instead of the loading dock.

Yep. Pretty much. But if you want to know the seedier places to go, I took notes. ;) The problem with Navy ships is they're either too big to fit in many places, or they're nuclear powered, and aren't allowed in the middle of the port. Either way, after the ship is moored, the sailors *all* hit town at about the same time. It tends to color the response from the townspeople, until they're dispersed to the four winds.

In Barcelona, we were tied up somewhere near the Christopher Columbus statue and replica of the Santa Maria, not too far from the Ramblas. We were in port two weeks, so I got to see a fair amount of the city - without being in a constant crowd of sailors. ;)

Dave

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And therein lies the problem.

For those of you who can't stand Carnival, can you be specific? What exactly about them do you not like?

Dave

Went on one Carnival cruise, on the Vista, for the most part similar to the other basic tier cruise lines, EXCEPT the demographic ( and unfortunately most things on ship were geared to the demographic) was VERY much blue collar, likely lacking formal education, mid to possibly even low income people. I am not trying to be condescending here but I am simply in a different economic sphere and have nothing in common with that demographic whatsoever and certainly don’t want to spend my hard earned vacation time with them. Perfect example was staff walking around the Dining room offering Jaegermeister and Fireball by the shot. (!) Not my cup of tea. We prefer Celebrity. It felt like being forced to take a greyhound bus when you are used to car service. We made the best of it because we were in the spa rooms and hid in the spa on sea days and ate at the Chefs table as well as specialty dining several times. Not for us, but not completely unbearable. The only good thing they had was the guy fieri poolside burgers at lunch, similar to a five guys. Ate that as an early dinner 2 days to avoid the dining room. I would go again if it was literally the ONLY exact itinerary I wanted, and I would stay in a suite probably, and stick to ONLY burgers for lunch and ONLY specialty dining for dinner to avoid the riff raff on the ship. Also, it was the only cruise I have ever taken where the activities man got on the PA and begged (more desperately every day) for a bag to be returned, and finally just asking for the son’s dog tags to be returned from the bag, no questions asked, for the sentimental value to the mother that had lost the bag.

However, if you know going in what to expect and you are fine with it, take the cruise, you will still have fun. I definitely had fun on the cruise with Carnival even though I would not be eager to repeat the experience.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
However, if you know going in what to expect and you are fine with it, take the cruise, you will still have fun. I definitely had fun on the cruise with Carnival even though I would not be eager to repeat the experience.

That's the bottom line here. For this port, at this time, and under these circumstances, Carnival is the *only* option. I want to get to Merida to find out if I want to go back for a full-on vacation there. I have no delusions about the cruise, or of what may or may not happen. I've chosen a nice balcony stateroom in a reasonably quiet(ish) part of the ship, and I will pick and choose my exposure to the riff riff. Everything else, as I said before, is just details.

I think I might even have fun while I'm at it. That's my nature, and what I expect from my daily life. I'm like the kid who is standing in the horse stall, up to his rear end in manure, shoveling for all he's worth, while shouting, "There MUST be a pony in here somewhere!" ;)

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
BTW... A useful piece of cruising advice I read was how to deal with self-printed, paper luggage tags when staying at a hotel or T/S: You can buy plastic cruise tag holders (picture below), or more cheaply:

When printed (cut or folded), wrap them in clear packing tape (to laminate) and on the backside, attach a thin extra strip of tape with a little pull-here fold at one-end, which you can use to bind the ends of the tag (with or without a stapler).

22fc212f-d9ae-4c99-abce-dba1bec3d2d6_1.06e73dc5b0956de6847cfad022da7496.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
BTW... A useful piece of cruising advice I read was how to deal with self-printed, paper luggage tags when staying at a hotel or T/S: You can buy plastic cruise tag holders (picture below), or more cheaply:

When printed (cut or folded), wrap them in clear packing tape (to laminate) and on the backside, attach a thin extra strip of tape with a little pull-here fold at one-end, which you can use to bind the ends of the tag (with or without a stapler).

22fc212f-d9ae-4c99-abce-dba1bec3d2d6_1.06e73dc5b0956de6847cfad022da7496.jpeg

Great idea! I have free clear tag pouches from Alaska Airlines that I used last fall on a cruise to Alaska. They worked great. Print the passes, fold, insert, and zip closed. No staples required.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I guess I am lucky and will never have any of these problems. Patti gets sea sick standing on a floating dock and large ships. She even has problems on the larger snorkel/dinner cruise boats and has to pre-medicate. So we will never cruise. She does ok on Zodiacs.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I guess I am lucky and will never have any of these problems. Patti gets sea sick standing on a floating dock and large ships. She even has problems on the larger snorkel/dinner cruise boats and has to pre-medicate. So we will never cruise. She does ok on Zodiacs.

That must be annoying for her. I don't get seasick, as a rule. (Well, there was that one time on that old sport fishing boat in Hawaii - the one with the terrible engine that leaked diesel fumes into the cabin...). But overall, I'm good to go. I think experience has a lot to do with it for me. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My ex would get motion-sick riding in a car on a hillside street.

How does she do on rollercoasters?

Titan-Dusk-2-56a951fe5f9b58b7d0fa4939.jpg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My ex would get motion-sick riding in a car on a hillside street.

How does she do on rollercoasters?

Titan-Dusk-2-56a951fe5f9b58b7d0fa4939.jpg
A titbit that I read recently is that fear of heights and motion sickness are closely related, i.e. related to the same part of the brain. The same person would most likely have both.

Your ex was lying. LOL

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...There was that one time on that old sport fishing boat in Hawaii - the one with the terrible engine that leaked diesel fumes into the cabin...

Ah, yes. The SS Minnow...
minnow.jpg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Taken 2 cruises ... a trans-altantic one way crossing from NYC to England on the QE2 and an Alaskan cruise on Norweigen for 7 nights RT Sealtte.

Germanyboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert
So it sounds like you've done this a fair bit. If it was a cruise line you weren't enamored with, (based purely on presumed reputation), but it was the only game in town for the cruise you wanted to take, would you still do it?

Dave
We have cruised only Celebrity 6 times, and like them very much. Probably won't try any other lines, too spoiled

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Celebrity has consistently won cruisecritic's annual recognition as the best "premium" cruise line, which really is a "premium" mass market line. Having said that Celebrity's prices are going up by 30 to 50 percent. Many long time Celebrity's customers are looking elsewhere as the price of Celebrity is now greying into the true premium lines like Oceania, which is a step below luxury cruise lines.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am trying out the Edge in early December on the pre-inaugural test cruise and I can't wait. I love Celebrity.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Why dinosaurs weren't included on the Ark...

82840632c239d6fdd1681e2d3120c811.jpg

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Celebrity has consistently won cruisecritic's annual recognition as the best "premium" cruise line, which really is a "premium" mass market line. Having said that Celebrity's prices are going up by 30 to 50 percent. Many long time Celebrity's customers are looking elsewhere as the price of Celebrity is now greying into the true premium lines like Oceania, which is a step below luxury cruise lines.

I hate to read that! We love Celebrity but if they become as expensive of Oceania, we would most likely choose Oceania. One nice thing about our recent Carnival cruise was that in addition to the fare being less expensive, so were the drinks packages and wifi, though wifi was lousy and they refunded my three premium wifi packages!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Some good points have been made about cruising last. Wish I'd read this sooner. It's too late for this summer as we are already booked for a week's cottage rental in the Cotswolds and four nights in London AFTER our two week cruise to Ireland and Iceland with another couple. We may be sick of each other by the end of the cruise, though we've traveled with them before and they are very willing to do their own thing. We will have a washer and dryer at the cottage though most likely one of those tiny machines that both wash and dry and are usually under a kitchen countertop!