• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When is optimal time to search for II exchange for Hilton Head?

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I'm looking to exchange my summer 2BR Sheraton Broadway Plantation-Myrtle Beach for a 2BR Hilton Head for June 2019- preferably Marriott.
I've never used II before, but thanks to TUG, I have a vague idea on how it works.
I will deposit either my 2019 or 2020 week. It seems like this gives me best trading power.
Do I have a good chance of getting a Marriott Hilton Head (like Grande Ocean or Barony?)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be hard to find Hilton Head summer by manual searching - you should put in an On Going Search for this as soon as you deposit your week. This would be your best bet to obtain this exchange.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many summer Hilton Head Marriott owners rent for cash rather than exchange, so your odds are pretty low IMO. Ongoing search combined with stalking the website give you a small chance but Marriott owners will always get first crack at Marriotts (I think the preference period is around 3 weeks) and supply is relatively low compared to demand...

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're willing to accept a resort on the marsh/creek instead of the beach, your odds are pretty good even for the Marriott. If you're just looking for beach front, that might be tough. I've been searching for a resort on the beach at Hilton Head for 2-yrs and haven't seen any of those during the summer months. I put in a request last year, but was match to Westgate Myrtle Beach instead. If you're exchanging a Myrtle Beach summer week, you should have more trading power than me. I just did a manual search and I can see a 2-bedroom (sleeps 6) at Marriott's Harbour Point at Shelter Cove for June 1-8, 2019.

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to exchange my summer 2BR Sheraton Broadway Plantation-Myrtle Beach for a 2BR Hilton Head for June 2019- preferably Marriott.
I've never used II before, but thanks to TUG, I have a vague idea on how it works.
I will deposit either my 2019 or 2020 week. It seems like this gives me best trading power.
Do I have a good chance of getting a Marriott Hilton Head (like Grande Ocean or Barony?)
Virtually no chance of trading your SBP Platinum for a summer Marriott Hilton Head, simply because of Marriott preference that summer week would have to sit around for 3 weeks (or 4, not sure of the exact length of Marriott preference) while all the other Marriott owners pass on a prime summer trade at Hilton Head. It isn't going to happen. I have SBP traders and speak from experience. You have a small but decent chance of putting in an ongoing search for HHI for any brand resort and coming up with a summer week, especially if you deposit one in RCI and one in II and search with both, which is a nice perk of an SBP trader. It may be too close to travel time to do it this year but give it a try for summer 2019.

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're willing to accept a resort on the marsh/creek instead of the beach, your odds are pretty good even for the Marriott. If you're just looking for beach front, that might be tough. I've been searching for a resort on the beach at Hilton Head for 2-yrs and haven't seen any of those during the summer months. I put in a request last year, but was match to Westgate Myrtle Beach instead. If you're exchanging a Myrtle Beach summer week, you should have more trading power than me. I just did a manual search and I can see a 2-bedroom (sleeps 6) at Marriott's Harbour Point at Shelter Cove for June 1-8, 2019.
2rebecca - What deposit are you using to see the Harbour Point 6/1 availability? I just searched II and didn't see it with any of my Sheraton units. Wondering if I am having a trading power issue, size issue, or if you have Marriott preference. Thanks!

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
2rebecca - What deposit are you using to see the Harbour Point 6/1 availability? I just searched II and didn't see it with any of my Sheraton units. Wondering if I am having a trading power issue, size issue, or if you have Marriott preference. Thanks!
No, I don't have Marriott preference. I'm using a 2-bedroom at Tahiti Resort in Las Vegas to search. I would expect a Sheraton to see it, too. Are your Sheraton's 2-bedrooms?

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I don't have Marriott preference. I'm using a 2-bedroom at Tahiti Resort in Las Vegas to search. I would expect a Sheraton to see it, too. Are your Sheraton's 2-bedrooms?
Thanks for the info. My SBP 2 BR is in the older section with a long season that includes the summer, so it is designated Gold Plus season. That may be the issue. Anyone have a newer 2 BR SBP Platinum they can check and see for the OP to see if it pulls the Harbour Point 6/1 that is currently available to 2rebecca. For what it is worth, I also don't see it available with my SVV 1 BR Platinum or my SDO 1 BR Gold Plus.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My SBP 2 BR is in the older section with a long season that includes the summer, so it is designated Gold Plus season. That may be the issue. Anyone have a newer 2 BR SBP Platinum they can check and see for the OP to see if it pulls the Harbour Point 6/1 that is currently available to 2rebecca. For what it is worth, I also don't see it available with my SVV 1 BR Platinum or my SDO 1 BR Gold Plus.
You are searching 2019, right?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
vice:
I posted current availability for Harbour Pointe at Shelter Cove in the Sightings section.​

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is virtually no chance at the two resorts you mentioned. (That is a very tough trade for a new II member to be successful with II.) I've been searching that area for several years. You might get a match in early June or late August during flexchange. I would go for the June 1, 2019 that is currently available at Shelter Cove (HPS).

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hudshut, I agree that summer at GO or Barony will be virtually no chance trade for OP. Thanks for posting Harbour Pointe in sightings section with and w/o Mariott preference. I did notice that you posted a June 22,2019 available under preference. I am under contract for a Shelter Cove Sunset Point Sport week, but I don't own any other Marriott. Do you have any idea if that Sport week would have to trading power to pull the June 22,2019 Harbour Pointe with the Marriott preference?

2rebecca, Thanks for pointing out dates, I thought I had my search parameters extended to the end of 2019 but I was only through April 2019. After retesting I am pulling the June 1, 2019 Harbour Point with 1 BR SDO Gold Plus, 1 BR SVV Platinum but my 2 BR SBP Gold Plus is still not pulling it.

Thanks to all for posting, this info is very useful to me and should help the OP as well.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In general I’ve found very few destinations that are impossible to trade into, but it does happen. My receipt for success has been 1. Deposit as early as possible 2. Put my request in as early as possible 3. Give II as much flexibility as possible.

As mentioned HHI is very popular in the summer. What doesn’t get mentioned is owners trying to maximize trade power when trading out of HHI will invariably try to reserve the most difficult weeks for the highest trade power. As an example I’ve never as an owner been able to snag a week at Grand Loge on peak 7 for a July week, but I have been able to reserve a June week and trade back into July. This because summer week owners would jump on July weeks to maximize trade power.
The thing about HHI is a lot of owners understand that, if they don’t want to use their week, they can rent it for more than their MF’s. Thus making high demand weeks even tougher to get on an exchange.

lisa3635

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last 2 summers I have sucessfully trades into Barony and Monarch with worldmark for July. My Barony exchange came through 4 months before checkin. My Monarch exchange was confirmed within 45 days of checkin. Both cams through with ongoing searches. I’d set up a search, you never know.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think early June at Barony with a good non Marriott wouldn't be a stretch. You probably wouldn't get the ocean front buildings. You would get the garden view ones with the big pool about 3-5 minute walk to the beach or they will take you in a golf cart. For float Marriott weeks the absolute earliest owners can deposit is 13 months for multiweek owners booking consecutive or concurrently or 12 months for everyone else. The older fixed week non beach HHI week can get deposited 24 months in advance. So if you have a chance for a shelter cove week now it is difficult to say whether you should pass it up and continue with an ongoing search that has a 50% chance of matching 6 months to 14 days in advance or take what you know you can get now, add eplus and hope for a manual exchange later on down the line.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten Harbour Point using a non-Marriott and recently got Monarch using a Marriott. In both cases it was about 16 months out into fixed week deposits that owners can put in II before the standard 12 or 13+ months. It increases the chances because fewer people have searches out that far.

The big 3 is possible but you need high power that is a Marriott while searching the full range. Using a non-Marriott is possible but it requires high power combined with someone cancelling or retrading after the preference period lapses. This is possible but not likely with an exchange that rare.

Last edited:

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Thanks all. Sounds like Marriott beachfront is very unlikely for me. Shelter Cove looks nice, but I'm not ready to commit yet and may end up doing 2020.
Besides inland (which I'm considering), do you recommend any 2nd tier beachfront timeshares available through II?
I don't need as nice as Marriott, but don't want bad 1970's polyester bedspreads.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to include a search for Surfwatch. Probably no more likely than the others, but much more oceanfront than most others. Also maybe consider including search for Monarch. It is oceanfront and maybe a little easier to get than other oceanfront Marriotts. Do you use e-plus? If you will consider an off-oceanfront Marriott you can include some in your search and, if you reserve one, continue searching with e-plus for another Marriott that you would prefer.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got Monarch a couple weeks ago with a 2BR Marriott OGS. I can say that I have had an OGS with a 2BR Marriott for over two years and never matched Barony, GO, or Surfwatch for a late June to end of July week.

I also have the OGS with a high powered 4BR non-M deposit. I have seen a Crystal Shores unit with this deposit but still never matched HHI on the OGS.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
June is very high demand. I have seen non oceanfront Marriotts with my platinum Vistana Villages unit for June, but not oceanfront ones. I have gotten Surfwatch in August from using both my harborside and Vistana Villages units (surfwatch is considered oceanfront), but no June or July weeks and I deposited over a year in advance for each and requested only oceanfront Marriotts for the whole summer range. So it may be doable, but just hard and the waiting game will be tough. I would try putting in an ongoing search as soon as possible and good luck!