• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
FWIW, I periodically have way too much time on my hands and recently started reading the threads of 2006-2008 and then post-recession to get a feel for the pre-recession market, then market values and usage after 2008.

In the 2010 threads I found myself inundated with all the pre-June conjecture surrounding points, with folks trying to figure out what Marriott had up their sleeve and why it was the end of the world....it was weird, as I read it I knew what the future would be. ;-)

As I got into 2012, clarity started to surface, some folks recognizing that maybe Points weren't a totally bad thing, others still not convinced...though there was a solid consensus on Skim. (feel free to guess)

But what I most enjoyed was the depth of analysis and logical conjecture that occurred without a lot of clear detail by Marriott early on. It was truly like reading through a hive mind as so much discussion would occur and ultimately boil down to what is essentially now found in the FAQ and/or repeated patiently for new folks. Much of it was purely experiential data as folks started exercising the Points system, debating enrolling, and with more and more data points folks like Sue, GregT, Dean, Mox and others could describe more and more concisely, and with a high degree of confidence, how all this stuff apparently works....even without Marriott pulling back the curtain on all the details.

2am and rambling, but if you ever have the time, the search function on here can lead to some entertaining and educational hours of reading. ;-)

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I was looking at the ROFR.net data and the numbers are all over the place. Does anyone have any theories?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the ROFR.net data and the numbers are all over the place. Does anyone have any theories?

These are a few known variables:

• The price someone thinks was submitted is not always the actual price submitted
  • Unpaid fees with no usage may lead to passing at any amount, or at a minimum, a greatly reduced threshold.
  • Some brokers keep unpaid fees hostage until after transfer but they may pocket these fees if ROFR is exercised.
  • ROFR for some units seem to be an on or off action. When it is off units may pass at $1 but when it is on they may fail at $1,000.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang... Every other year Desert Springs Villas Red did not pass ROFR at $1575. I thought this one would pass.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally!!!! Grand Chateau 3 BR every year $3050 just passed ROFR. Done for now. I suppose three tries isn't too bad... Shadow Ridge Enclaves 2 BR Deluxe every year $3000 and Desert Springs $1575 every other year didn't pass for me... This Grand Chateau one was a great deal because it came with the current year's usage free and all closing costs paid by seller. I'm finally going to join Marriott. :)

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I am wondering why the ROFR.net does not include more companies like Vistana and others? It would be great to add other companies.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Finally!!!! Grand Chateau 3 BR every year $3050 just passed ROFR. Done for now. I suppose three tries isn't too bad... Shadow Ridge Enclaves 2 BR Deluxe every year $3000 and Desert Springs $1575 every other year didn't pass for me... This Grand Chateau one was a great deal because it came with the current year's usage free and all closing costs paid by seller. I'm finally going to join Marriott. :)
Did you buy this on eBay about a month ago?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I am wondering why the ROFR.net does not include more companies like Vistana and others? It would be great to add other companies.

ROFR.net listings comes from the buyers. So maybe visit the Vistana forum and push a bit. ;-)

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

ROFR.net listings comes from the buyers. So maybe visit the Vistana forum and push a bit. ;-)

I think the other reason is ROFR.net is a volunteer-created and maintained site by some TUGgers. They have to set the site up to take entries for each system. It used to be Marriott only and they added HGVC and Disney sometime in the past year or so. To add Vistana would first require the volunteers add each Vistana resort and all unit types to the programming/database.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
Just FAILED Marriott's Oceana Palms Ocean Front Gold season @ $3700. Came back in a week. added to ROFR.NET

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I think the other reason is ROFR.net is a volunteer-created and maintained site by some TUGgers. They have to set the site up to take entries for each system. It used to be Marriott only and they added HGVC and Disney sometime in the past year or so. To add Vistana would first require the volunteers add each Vistana resort and all unit types to the programming/database.
As Jim indicated, we did add Hilton and Disney in the past year or so. I have considered adding Vistana and Vistana was included in the previous itteration of the ROFR database. However, Vistana only has ROFR at a few properties. When it was included in the prior version of the database, it received maybe only two or three entries over several years. ROFR really isn't a big concern with Vistana except perhaps at the Maui properties.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just submitted ROFR request for waiver on a Mountainside Fixed Week 7. Fingers crossed that Marriott doesn't have interest in buying pricier fixed weeks!!

Any update on this? Last public asking price I saw by a broker was $62K, but that's probably like the high Maui asking prices...nice if you can get it. ;-)
(but no fixed units, so makes for lots of Week 7 at Mountainside.)

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Did you buy this on eBay about a month ago?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It seems like Grand Chateau has virtually no value on the resale market. I wonder if it will lose value as a trader if people only buy it as a trader. I think it may become a self fulfilling profecy.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like Grand Chateau has virtually no value on the resale market. I wonder if it will lose value as a trader if people only buy it as a trader. I think it may become a self fulfilling profecy.
?? 2 bedroom lockoffs sell for around $1000. 3 BR lockoffs sell for $3000 to $4000 on ebay.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not just a good Interval trader (one of our best two), but also as enrolled probably our best value for money DC Points generator.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It is not just a good Interval trader (one of our best two), but also as enrolled probably our best value for money DC Points generator.
No chance of enrolling a resale grand chateau into the dc points program right now. And if you can enroll a resale week it would take a $25000 purchase of direct points to enroll said resale week.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
No chance of enrolling a resale grand chateau into the dc points program right now. And if you can enroll a resale week it would take a $25000 purchase of direct points to enroll said resale week.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
True, lucky for those of us who were able to enrol.
It has still been an excellent Interval lock off 2 for 1 trader for us for over 10 years now though.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LV, Orlando, Branson and Williamsburg are relatively poor traders when it comes to actual trade power. But with the internal trading preference and the fact that II segregates trading based on resort quality in addition to trade power, they will trade fairly well. I can't think of a resort in Marriott thats is cheap to get into and has a truly high trade power. II does regional trade power while RCI is a little more by resort but the fact they also limit how far up or down you can trade affects choices. Sometimes that means you get something you wouldn't otherwise but it can also mean there are times when you might not be able to trade to things that are available though with Marriott that usually means you're missing out on lower quality options.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Desert Springs Villas annual red failed at $2,000.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Surprising and perplexing. I would never stay at Marriott Grand Chateau. I guess addicted gamblers need the space to spread out. It surprises me something so cheap on the resale market trades so well. Maybe anything named “Marriott” trades well. That is what Interval told me.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
?? 2 bedroom lockoffs sell for around $1000. 3 BR lockoffs sell for $3000 to $4000 on ebay.

True. Rofr.net though shows a recent 3BR that did not pass, at $4,000 for platinum plus. Another thing to consider. I'm considering one.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surprising and perplexing. I would never stay at Marriott Grand Chateau. I guess addicted gamblers need the space to spread out. It surprises me something so cheap on the resale market trades so well. Maybe anything named “Marriott” trades well. That is what Interval told me.
I am not sure I can explain why either, I just see the results.
I stayed in Las Vegas a few times before Grand Chateau was built, but since buying there over 10 years ago I have never been back. We have always exchanged through Interval or elected for DC Points.