• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI now featuring Tripadvisor reviews

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm not sure if I missed a post about this, but today I noticed that the RCI resort reviews have Tripadvisor reviews instead of just RCI reviews (but you can still filter to see the RCI reviews). On one hand, it is nice to see reviews for nearly every resort, but I have always wondered about the authenticity of the Tripadvisor reviews. On the whole, I think it is probably good to have more information.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that also, and they seem to support both the RCI reviews and the Trip Advisor reviews. The Trip Advisor reviews give actual feedback from the resort to the review, which would seem to be a better process.

My question is are the Trip Advisor reviews solely RCI timeshare visits, or do they also include other rentals - which sometimes can be a different experience and clientele?

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assure you that Trip Advisor reviews do not include RCI stays only. I was reading a review of a resort that we were considering and the poster said, very explicitly, that the housekeeping staff was "negligent" and didn't make beds or come in and clean daily. That would be a motel renter observation, not a timeshare observation, as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 2 cents worth.

JudiZ

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip Advisor reviews are another tool for analysis however I do have pause in using them. I much prefer the TUG and RCI reviews. It is much more an apples to apples comparison. Trip Advisor reviews seem to rate overly high for all things and are easily manipulated. To each his own, but thanks greatly for Tugger reviews as they are usually much better to trust in.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I always much more highly value reviews on TUG or even Redweek as compared to reviews on TripAdvisor for timeshare properties, for several reasons:
  1. Timeshare owners understand that timeshares are different from hotels in many ways, not least of which is that it is highly unusual to receive daily maid service at a timeshare. Many TripAdvisor reviewers don't get this, and thus grade down a timeshare property unfairly.
  2. Have you noticed the huge number of reviews posted on TripAdvisor these days by reviewers with fewer than 10--and usually only 1 or 2--reviews? I never pay attention to these reviews, as I am extremely suspicious that these "reviews" were made by paid ballot box stuffers hired by the property to boost their overall scores. The reviews are usually brief, rather generic, and serve only to undermine the validity of TripAdvisor. I wish TripAdvisor would allow the user to screen only for reviews by reviewers who have written at least 25 reviews, but no such luck.
  3. TUG reviews are usually more thorough and written by TUG members who truly want to give their fellow TUGgers an accurate idea of what to expect when they visit a particular timeshare property.

Luckytimer

Reaction score
I assure you that Trip Advisor reviews do not include RCI stays only. I was reading a review of a resort that we were considering and the poster said, very explicitly, that the housekeeping staff was "negligent" and didn't make beds or come in and clean daily. That would be a motel renter observation, not a timeshare observation, as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 2 cents worth.

JudiZ

While staying in Los Cabos at 3 different resorts, we had daily made service even though we exchanged into them via RCI. So I think it would be hard to tell.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

Just my 2 cents worth.

JudiZ

Before this feature was added I always read the RCI reviews but also checked Trip Advisor too when I was contemplating booking a resort for the first time. And I often also called the resort to talk to someone to find out more. When reading the Trip Advisor reviews I would see people complaining that they didn't get daily maid service and just ignore those reviews. I figured they used one of the travel websites to book their stay, had no idea they booked a timeshare nor did they have any experience with timeshares and they made no effort to find out anything more about where they were staying than the blurb on the travel website before they got there.

While staying in Los Cabos at 3 different resorts, we had daily made service even though we exchanged into them via RCI. So I think it would be hard to tell.

We've stayed at quite a few timeshare resorts through RCI and Wyndham and while the resorts in Mexico might have daily maid service here in the US you would have to pay a high daily extra fee to get it if the resort even offered it. Most resorts do offer a towel exchange, usually on a designated day or days.

My husband and I say we have become spoiled by staying in the timeshares and pity the people whose ideal vacation is staying in a hotel and having someone come in daily to make their bed and bring fresh towels. Unless we are staying longer than a week we usually decline a midweek trash and tidy when it is offered and just ask them for any supplies like more dishwasher packets or trash bags if we need them. We aren't messy or dirty, prefer not to have them in our unit if we aren't there and don't want to be tied to being there while they are in the unit. We can make the bed and hang up our own towels after we use them just fine thank you very much and doing so doesn't detract from our vacations in the slightest.

My husband used to have to travel a lot for his work so staying in hotels and eating all or even most of his meals out is not his idea of an enjoyable vacation. I used to think it seemed so glamorous and luxurious until we had to live out of a hotel for a month while we were waiting to close and get into the house we bought. His company was moving us/paying for everything and they needed him in the new location. It got old real fast and I just wanted to be able to cook my own meals once in a while after the first week. We both love staying in the timeshares and being able to fix our meals whenever we feel like it without having to get ready to go out, drive or walk to a restaurant, wait to be seated, wait to order, wait for our food, wait for the check, wait to for the server to come back with the credit card and then drive or walk back. For some people that is their idea of a great vacation and to each to their own. Over the years of using the timeshares we have a menu of some good but easy meals we really like that we fix on the nights we eat in. My husband cooks too and even cleans up afterwards so it isn't all on me. And yes I do really appreciate him!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I’ve had restaurants bribe me with discounts for a good trip advisor review, so I don’t really trust the ratings there. Of course, the management at a timeshare would never do that....

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

Just my 2 cents worth.

JudiZ
I do believe you are operating from a false premise here. I can name 3 resorts in Mexico that do have daily maid service: Porto Bello Marinas, Sandos Playacar, Sandos Caracol. I'm pretty sure that there are others as well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I actually highly value the Trip Advisor reviews. It is the first place I go for reviews on almost everything. I also like the fact that you can ask the reviewer and the resort questions via the site.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Many timeshare resorts in Mexico offer daily housekeeping service. However, it's very rare in the U.S. TripAdvisor reviews of timeshares often include complaints about the lack of daily housekeeping at timeshares from people who normally visit hotels in the U.S., disappointed and unaware of the norm at U.S. timeshares. Their poor ratings may be skewed by this misunderstanding on their part.

TheSwampers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Pointe Resort & Club, Blue Tree Resort at Lake Buena Vista
I've noticed some discrepancies with TripAdvisor reviews however. On one particular resort, the reviews all pertained to the hotel near by with a similar name. I responded to RCI's feedback on this concern but never heard a response.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer the timeshare reviews only. I can go to Trip advisor on my own. Timeshare reviews thru RCI give a "different perspective".

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only problem with the reviews here is that the resorts I am looking at tend to have very few. I am active on Trip Adviser forum for Hawaii and place a great deal of trust in the forums and their destination experts. However none of them know anything about timeshares.

The reviews on Trip Adviser are useful because generally there are many. It is an art thought to filter through the reviews and separate the wheat from the chaff. It's the same when using VRBO or AIRBNB. Yes I go outside the timeshare family.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read a Trip Advisor review about the Marriott Beach Place Towers, Fort Lauderdale, FL that stated the resort have twenty two (22) floors and that is totally false. There are only nineteen (19) guest floors.

Security is onsite twenty four hours per day and the walk way leaving into the resort elevator area is very clean.

Also, You must have a resort key card to access the guest resort floors 2 to 19.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read a Trip Advisor review about the Marriott Beach Place Towers, Fort Lauderdale, FL that stated the resort have twenty two (22) floors and that is totally false. There are only nineteen (19) guest floors.

Security is onsite twenty four hours per day and the walk way leaving into the resort elevator area is very clean.

Also, You must have a resort key card to access the guest resort floors 2 to 19.

Pedro, that's a bit nitpicky. It does have 22 floors, counting 1 the lobby, 2-19 guest rooms and 3? other floors. Often in towers, hotels etc there will be floors for offices, laundry, meeting rooms. I have no interest in this except to ask if this review puts you off of all TA reviews?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Counting the parking garage floors, there are 22 plus floors-at MBP.

I personally liked TA but sometimes their reviews are not accurate . I try to read reviews from different websites sources and then I will formulate my final opinion on the subject matter.

Hotel & timeshare reviews are like restaurants reviews. They are all subjective base upon the reviewer sex, age, education, tastes, point of view and culture biases.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I always much more highly value reviews on TUG or even Redweek as compared to reviews on TripAdvisor for timeshare properties, for several reasons:
  1. Timeshare owners understand that timeshares are different from hotels in many ways, not least of which is that it is highly unusual to receive daily maid service at a timeshare. Many TripAdvisor reviewers don't get this, and thus grade down a timeshare property unfairly.
  2. Have you noticed the huge number of reviews posted on TripAdvisor these days by reviewers with fewer than 10--and usually only 1 or 2--reviews? I never pay attention to these reviews, as I am extremely suspicious that these "reviews" were made by paid ballot box stuffers hired by the property to boost their overall scores. The reviews are usually brief, rather generic, and serve only to undermine the validity of TripAdvisor. I wish TripAdvisor would allow the user to screen only for reviews by reviewers who have written at least 25 reviews, but no such luck.
  3. TUG reviews are usually more thorough and written by TUG members who truly want to give their fellow TUGgers an accurate idea of what to expect when they visit a particular timeshare property.
However, it is sometimes worth sifting through the TripAdvisor reviews to find those of substance and cover things in (at) a level of detail usually seen around these parts. I too tend to prefer the reviews here on TUG because they usually cover things at a more detailed level but there are exceptions. And, as was noted above, there are a good number of properties where TUG does not have recent reviews. That seems a bit odd given the rewards here for reviewing.....

Last edited:

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was just comparing a couple of resorts for February next year. Went to RCI to look up resorts (after checking Tug of course). I am not sure if this is new or if I missed it completely, but when I went to the reviews, there was a checkbox to display only RCI reviews. So, the best of both worlds. I do think there is value in both RCI and TA and it is very nice to be able to know that distinction in advance and not assume as I had mentioned doing in an earlier post. I toggled back and forth and found that in one case, there were only a handful of RCI reviews but a couple of hundred TA reviews.

Judi