• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting to SFO Airport from Union Square

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're staying at the WorldMark San Francisco for a few days this Fall, at the end of a Bay Area trip to visit relatives. The rental car we'll have will be turned in on arrival at the resort, to save the $45 daily parking fee. We'll use public transportation to get around the city.

But that means on departure day we'll need to decide how best to get to the airport. Does anybody have good ideas on the best way to do that? The resort is two blocks from Union Square. Easiest answer is to take a cab to the airport, which I read is about $60. Are their other options nearby?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There are shuttle services, or you could take BART. Nearest station is Montgomery St.about an 8 minute walk. Powell St. Station, which is one stop closer to SFO, is about 11 minutes walk. BART goes directly to the airport. That would be the cheapest, and possibly the fastest.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When my son lived in Walnut Creek and he flew out he took BART to SFO and when his wife's relatives flew in from NYC he would have them take BART to Walnut Creek.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds like BART is the choice to make. I've ridden it before, but didn't know if there were other options that might be better. Thanks!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Uber if it’s two or more people. Cost around 20-25 total.

Really? I've never taken Uber. There will be two of us. I'll need to look into that. Thanks!

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Remember, that depending on the time of day, BART could be much faster than taking city streets.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Remember, that depending on the time of day, BART could be much faster than taking city streets.

Very good point. Flight is at 10AM, so I'm thinking between 7 and 8AM. BART is sounding better all the time. ;)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sounds like BART is the choice to make. I've ridden it before, but didn't know if there were other options that might be better. Thanks!

Dave
None cheaper, unless you hitch a ride with a friend......or walk. ;)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
None cheaper, unless you hitch a ride with a friend......or walk. ;)

Uh...yeah. No. ;)

I checked Uber. Looks like the rates are $28-$36, and I assume, a tip. Checked Lyft and saw similar numbers.

So I think BART is the choice for us. Concerned about walking to the station with luggage containing $$$ photo equipment, so we may opt for a cab for that short distance. Still money ahead, I think.

Thanks,
Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Uh...yeah. No. ;)

I checked Uber. Looks like the rates are $28-$36, and I assume, a tip. Checked Lyft and saw similar numbers.

So I think BART is the choice for us. Concerned about walking to the station with luggage containing $$$ photo equipment, so we may opt for a cab for that short distance. Still money ahead, I think.

Thanks,
Dave
Look into shuttles as well. Super Shuttle, for a shared ride, pick up at hotel would be $34 for two.

We usually don't haul our luggage through San Francisco, but I'd feel safe going between the hotel and BART.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was checking last night. Right now, it’s a bit higher but if you are willing to walk a bit, should still be around $20 with Express Pool for two people. I usually tip by rounding up. For instance, $20 for $18.09 trip.

Attachments

• 30C5BAEB-D4E0-4804-9EA0-D28D43C9943C.jpeg
    30C5BAEB-D4E0-4804-9EA0-D28D43C9943C.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 064424E2-572F-488D-825B-D5B828EA2DD6.png
    064424E2-572F-488D-825B-D5B828EA2DD6.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 61

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BTW, Uber is very convenient in the city. Usually costs less than $10 for most of the places in the city. We usually take a train to the city to avoid the parking fee, and use Uber for out of place spots where BART does not reach. Also, it might cost even less than BART for 2-4 people as it charges a flat rate.

Carolyn Arndt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kona Hawaiian
We're staying at the WorldMark San Francisco for a few days this Fall, at the end of a Bay Area trip to visit relatives. The rental car we'll have will be turned in on arrival at the resort, to save the $45 daily parking fee. We'll use public transportation to get around the city.

But that means on departure day we'll need to decide how best to get to the airport. Does anybody have good ideas on the best way to do that? The resort is two blocks from Union Square. Easiest answer is to take a cab to the airport, which I read is about $60. Are their other options nearby?

Dave

BART

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
BART

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, that was already thoroughly discussed. Dave said they "might" use it, but his concern was taking luggage with $$$ worth of photography equipment through the city.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Best thing about BART to the airport is that it is downhill from Worldmark. The walk from BART to Worldmark is a major effort up the steep hills. Be sure you try the French bistro near Worldmark. By now I don't remember the name, but it is on opposite side of the street and downhill (towards Chinatown) a ways. Food is worth having to walk back up the hill!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yep, that was already thoroughly discussed. Dave said they "might" use it, but his concern was taking luggage with $$$ worth of photography equipment through the city.

I think if we catch a cab or Uber to the BART station, that may be the best answer. I know it's not all that far, and I'd likely chance it, but I live with someone who is paranoid about stuff like this, and who won't do it. ;)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think if we catch a cab or Uber to the BART station, that may be the best answer. I know it's not all that far, and I'd likely chance it, but I live with someone who is paranoid about stuff like this, and who won't do it. ;)

Dave
Catching a cab in San Francisco has been getting more and more difficult. If you have the hotel call one for you, you are more likely to have success. I still haven't used Uber. I've gotten as far as downloading the app, but just haven't needed to use it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave - This is not a scary area at all, and at that time of day, the streets will be filled with people.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We'll be staying there three days. As we're walking around, I may maneuver things to do a walking version ahead of time, to see how steep the streets are, and how far it truly is. This may all be a lot of fuss over nothing. :)

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

Dave

I am the same way, but better if I've done some research. Scope it out on a map, maybe wander that way while you are exploring to get the lay of the land. I'm to the point now with my back/walking issues that all walking cities that we've already visited several times (SF, Seattle, Boston, NYC, Victoria, Vancouver) are off the list for the foreseeable future. Tell your travel partner to be glad they can walk! Of course this assumes you've learned to travel with a roll-aboard and a personal item and that you aren't going on a shopping spree and carrying extra stuff! One trip to Europe with big suitcases was all it took for us to learn to pack lightly, and in fact San Francisco in spring 2005 was the trip we practiced on so the trip to London and Paris in the fall was so much easier!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Of course this assumes you've learned to travel with a roll-aboard and a personal item and that you aren't going on a shopping spree and carrying extra stuff!

Nope, learned that lesson long ago. Unless Starbucks has great coffee mugs from that city, we agreed years ago that the only souvenir we can bring home is a refrigerator magnet. The rest is all photographs. :thumbup:

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Super Shuttle alot, and I usually book "non-share" option so that we don't ride with others and the need for additional pick up and drop offs.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Dave, I was telling dh about this conversation. Dh is one who will NOT lug suitcases (although he and I did drag our suitcases in NYC from Penn Station to our hotel one year, which was 15 blocks and almost a mile). Anyway, he always uses a car company. Pricey, but worth it to him. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you their name and number. It's a company he used for years when he was working and we still use them all the time when we come back to the Bay area.