• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Took Incentive to get bumped from American

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This morning my 15 year old daughter and I were scheduled to take direct flight from Chicago ORD to Cancun for a trip planned at the Westin Lagunamar.

Equipment change resulted in a smaller plane requiring American Air to bump people for a later flight.

I managed to get a $5K American voucher to fly tomorrow morning , direct to Cancun, and in first class.

We live close to ORD so it was easy to return home. I'll be "eating" one night at Lagunamar but we have a trip planned to Japan next summer, so I think it's worth it to get our expensive airfare to Asia covered by American.

I've never taken a bump incentive before, so a first for me.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's awesome!! With incentives like that, I'm hoping to get bumped a couple of times this year!!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope....$2500 k /per but that should cover each of our Tokyo direct fight Tix.

I assessed the situation at the gate and knew AA was going to have a tough time getting volunteers so I upped the ante and it worked.

One thing that refused to bite on was day passes to the Admirals club.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great deal! And won’t the first class tix cover admirals club anyways? If not, plenty available on eBay for well under 5k....

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to make decisions like that spur of the moment but I'm pretty happy with how it netted out.

Luckytimer

Reaction score
Great job!!! I hope mostly to get booked on a return trip home, because we're already in no hurry. Good on you!!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Particularly good work, Cornell! Enjoy it!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I got lucky b/c I overheard the gate agent mention that they needed to dump 8 people. Given that there are limited direct flights from ORD to Cancun and every person @ the gate was a vacationer (many families with young kids) who would lose money on tonight's resort bill, I knew AA was going to have a tough time getting people to bite. My daughter was sulking when I took the offer but then I said to her: Cancun? Japan? You're 15! Stop complaining!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Great deal! And won’t the first class tix cover admirals club anyways?

First Class on International AA will get you into the Flagship Lounge except AA doesn’t think Mexico is international for this purpose.:rolleyes: And First Class on AA to Mexico is called Business, no clue why.

Cheers

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before kids my husband and I had a standing rule. If they offer $200 or more voucher for getting bumped take it. For years between FF miles and vouchers we rarely paid for our tickets to Hawaii.

Our kids are still on the younger side and our itineraries haven't been that flexible so getting bumped hasn't been an option. But that's awesome. We went to Japan last summer for 3 weeks. It was great. be sure to look into the Japan Rail Pass.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've already been looking into the Japan rail info.....looks wonderful. I can't wait for that trip!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
This morning my 15 year old daughter and I were scheduled to take direct flight from Chicago ORD to Cancun for a trip planned at the Westin Lagunamar.

Equipment change resulted in a smaller plane requiring American Air to bump people for a later flight.

I managed to get a $5K American voucher to fly tomorrow morning , direct to Cancun, and in first class.

We live close to ORD so it was easy to return home. I'll be "eating" one night at Lagunamar but we have a trip planned to Japan next summer, so I think it's worth it to get our expensive airfare to Asia covered by American.

I've never taken a bump incentive before, so a first for me.
WOW!!! CONGRATS!!!! If it was me I would still be dancing a jig!!!! SO happy for u!!:banana:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thank you! I got lucky b/c I overheard the gate agent mention that they needed to dump 8 people. Given that there are limited direct flights from ORD to Cancun and every person @ the gate was a vacationer (many families with young kids) who would lose money on tonight's resort bill, I knew AA was going to have a tough time getting people to bite. My daughter was sulking when I took the offer but then I said to her: Cancun? Japan? You're 15! Stop complaining!
Wow!! I never knew the airlines would offer that much for a bump. :whooopie:

Did you simply offer to give up your seat for $2500k per ticket before any gate announcement?

Or did the gate agent start making high offers with no takers? If so, what was the highest offer announced before you decided to make the deal for $2500 per ticket?

Always learning something new on TUG :cool:

Last edited:

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you and your family. That was an awesome deal!

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you use the voucher within their time limit for use. Once I had to come up with an extra trip on American.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you use the voucher within their time limit for use. Once I had to come up with an extra trip on American.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yep, I have $700 on American I have to figure out how to use in the next month. I've got some hotel points burning a hole in my pocket and we'll go wherever a few hundred bucks will buy us on short notice Oh, darn, another trip =p

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!! I never knew the airlines would offer that much for a bump. :whooopie:

Did you simply offer to give up your seat for $2500k per ticket before any gate announcement?

Or did the gate agent start making high offers with no takers? If so, what was the highest offer announced before you decided to make the deal for $2500 per ticket?

Always learning something new on TUG :cool:
Here's what happened....I got a call on the way to the airport from AA asking if I'd give up our seats for $800 per ticket. I declined. Then at the gate they upped it to $850. I saw no takers and overheard the agent say to a colleague that they would need to free up 8 seats. This is when I knew I had leverage. I went up to the counter and said I'd do it for $2000 per ticket. The agent told me that she'd have to get authorization. She also told me that if the gate agent needed to increase it above $2k that I'd get whatever the highest amount to be offered. However, because I approached the agent and threw down a firm number, I got first "dibs" on making a decision of all the other customers b/c I was the most willing / aggressive there. It eventually went to $2500 per ticket. One flight left that day (via a connecting flight) but there were only 4 seats available. A family of 4 was put on that. My daughter & I got moved to a flight the next morning (early) that was direct and in first class. I was only able to pull this off b/c practically every person on that flight was a vacationer who was going to lose out on a night at their resort/ hotel. I immediately sensed no one was interested in shorting their vacation by a day. So it all just came together.

And yes, I have to BOOK a trip on American within one year of the voucher issue date. I don't have to travel within the year.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Wow! That was an awesome deal! Don’t people realize that giving up one day of vacation pays for an entire trip elsewhere and you will get to vacation spot in the morning no waiting for room to be ready etc.
And you fly first class! I never have, if it were us we would have done the same as you!
Enjoy Cancun and Japan!
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got an incentive this morning on our flight of $5000.00 for checking our carry on luggage.
Great flight and an outstanding incentive for the first day in April.:clap::hi:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My latest was last Oct. I had an award seat in Biz Class from CLT to LHR. While waiting in the Admirals Club, I was paged to go to the gate. Turns out they needed a seat for a reserve pilot and I was low man on the Totem Pole.

Net result was I was booked in Biz Class on another CLT to LHR flight two hours later and received a $600 voucher, or basically was paid $300/hour for sitting in a chair at the gate:D. I did have the option of going economy on the original flight but $600 for occupying a seat at the gate for two hours and Biz Class instead of steerage made it a no brainer.

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
x3 skier, did you get it? What day is it. The first day of April is April Fools Day.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
x3 skier, did you get it? What day is it. The first day of April is April Fools Day.

Sure, AA giving anybody $5000 for anything related to baggage is about as likely as me winning the Powerball:cool:.

Since this thread was about airline compensation, thought I’d add my recent good luck story.

Cheers