• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it possible to find availability before depositing exchange week?

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pls forgive the "newbie-ness" of this question, but I am new to timeshare ownership, and we are thinking about exchanging this year. We own a prime racing season week at Winner's Circle Resort in Solana Beach, Calif. in July. We'd like to exchange it for a week near Disney one of the last two weeks in August this year. I don't like the II resorts much, but RCI and SFX seem to have better options.
My question is: Is there anyway to find out what they have available before I deposit my week? I'd hate to deposit my week and then not find what we're looking for, and since our week is in late July, I do realize time is of the essence. Or is it too late to do an exchange and have any hopes of getting anything much? If so, maybe I will ask resort to sell week.

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, meant to say I didn't like the selections at TP much. I like what II has as well.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Pls forgive the "newbie-ness" of this question, but I am new to timeshare ownership, and we are thinking about exchanging this year. We own a prime racing season week at Winner's Circle Resort in Solana Beach, Calif. in July. We'd like to exchange it for a week near Disney one of the last two weeks in August this year. I don't like the II resorts much, but RCI and SFX seem to have better options.
My question is: Is there anyway to find out what they have available before I deposit my week? I'd hate to deposit my week and then not find what we're looking for, and since our week is in late July, I do realize time is of the essence. Or is it too late to do an exchange and have any hopes of getting anything much? If so, maybe I will ask resort to sell week.

To get the most trading power out of your deposit, it is best to deposit it at least 5-6 months in advance.

To get the best results in an exchange, it is best to put in your request a year or more in advance (assuming that you are requested an above average demand location). Why? well, a lot of inventory gets deposited around a year in advance. You only have 5 months till August. So it is likely that over half of the exchange inventory for "Disney" has already been grabbed.

You mention that you want to exchange to area around Disney at the end of August. If you are referring to Orlando Disney, that is a low demand time of the year. You probably won't have a problem in the exchange. But you should also look at ii's getaways. They may be cheaper than the MF on your home resort.

If you were referring to Disney Anaheim, there are a few smaller resorts in the area within the ii system. Peacock Suites is one that I remember. There are also some resorts in San Clemente and Laguna Beach. Newport Coast might be a hard trade.

If you have an ii account, you can do an exchange search. Go to My units, select exchange at your TS, plug in a reservation date and reservation number (I usually plug in an eight digit number starting with 8) and do a search.

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
To get the most trading power out of your deposit, it is best to deposit it at least 5-6 months in advance.

To get the best results in an exchange, it is best to put in your request a year or more in advance (assuming that you are requested an above average demand location). Why? well, a lot of inventory gets deposited around a year in advance. You only have 5 months till August. So it is likely that over half of the exchange inventory for "Disney" has already been grabbed.

You mention that you want to exchange to area around Disney at the end of August. If you are referring to Orlando Disney, that is a low demand time of the year. You probably won't have a problem in the exchange. But you should also look at ii's getaways. They may be cheaper than the MF on your home resort.

If you were referring to Disney Anaheim, there are a few smaller resorts in the area within the ii system. Peacock Suites is one that I remember. There are also some resorts in San Clemente and Laguna Beach. Newport Coast might be a hard trade.

If you have an ii account, you can do an exchange search. Go to My units, select exchange at your TS, plug in a reservation date and reservation number (I usually plug in an eight digit number starting with 8) and do a search.

Thank you for the advice -- and sorry, should have specified I was referring to WDW in Orlando. The reason we are looking at end of Aug. is because it's low season there. I tried to open an II account online, but it wouldn't go through, so I'll have to call them so I can do as you suggested.
Is there a way to determine what my trading power at exchange co's is ahead of time? When I first bought my timeshare, some folks in the forum who also own at WC told me they had gotten 'stellar' trades from II, RCI and SFX -- one person even told me they had 3-for-1 from SFX.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice -- and sorry, should have specified I was referring to WDW in Orlando. The reason we are looking at end of Aug. is because it's low season there. I tried to open an II account online, but it wouldn't go through, so I'll have to call them so I can do as you suggested.
Is there a way to determine what my trading power at exchange co's is ahead of time? When I first bought my timeshare, some folks in the forum who also own at WC told me they had gotten 'stellar' trades from II, RCI and SFX -- one person even told me they had 3-for-1 from SFX.
Disney only trades in RCI, not II.

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know, but we are willing to stay off-site if nearby. We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek last year (technically on-site) last year and loved it. I see SFX has that resort and Disney Ft. Wilderness Villas, although I highly doubt there'd be anything available for either, as owners can rent their weeks through so many avenues.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

To amplify: Disney Vacation Club (DVC timeshare) only trades in RCI. There are 100's of timeshares surrounding WDW that trade in RCI, SFX, II etc..... Marriotts, a very popular timeshare near WDW trades in II, while HGVC trades in RCI.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The best practice is to deposit your week as early as possible (like a year or more out) and put in an ongoing search. Putting in an ongoing search is like waitlisting - ongoing searches are filled FIRST, before any exchanges appear online, so the best exchanges are snagged behind the scenes, and never appear online. That means if you only look at the online inventory, you only see the leftovers.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried to open an II account online, but it wouldn't go through, so I'll have to call them so I can do as you suggested.

My short-hand response is that RCI has more resorts, but ii has higher quality resorts.

I'm wondering why you were unsuccessful in opening an ii account. Once all of the deed paperwork was done when I bought my first timeshare, it was pretty easy to sign up for an ii account. I probably did it via telephone.

Also, keep in mind that some "getaways" cost less than the maintenance fee of your home resort. I typically check that. If I'm paying $1300 MF and I can buy a getaway for, say, $700, it is a "no brainer".

Good luck.

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
My short-hand response is that RCI has more resorts, but ii has higher quality resorts.

I'm wondering why you were unsuccessful in opening an ii account. Once all of the deed paperwork was done when I bought my first timeshare, it was pretty easy to sign up for an ii account. I probably did it via telephone.

Also, keep in mind that some "getaways" cost less than the maintenance fee of your home resort. I typically check that. If I'm paying $1300 MF and I can buy a getaway for, say, $700, it is a "no brainer".

Good luck.

I think I just need to call ii to finish the sign-up process, if I'm understanding the message that popped up once I'd registered correctly. I appreciate your advice on getaways, as well. I actually looked at Trading Places, our "home" exchange co., and can get a 3-bed, 3-bath for a steal through their "hot deals" program. Although it wouldn't be my first choice, it looks like a nice place, gets very good reviews, and I'm sure my kids, 15 and 24, would love the extra space for themselves. I may just go with that and try to sell my week myself or through my resort.
I would never have thought about this option if you hadn't mentioned it, so again, thank you!

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
To amplify: Disney Vacation Club (DVC timeshare) only trades in RCI. There are 100's of timeshares surrounding WDW that trade in RCI, SFX, II etc..... Marriotts, a very popular timeshare near WDW trades in II, while HGVC trades in RCI.
Thank you! Do you have any idea what DVC availability is like on RCI off peak season? You can buy DVC points in so many places directly through owners I can't imagine many want to bother with RCI's fees.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I don't personally monitor DVC availability....but you can certainly review the 'sightings' thread if you join TUG. This area is a 'members only' area.
The cost to become a member of TUG is just $15. It's the best $15 you'll ever spend.

I know that DVC availability is limited, but I believe there are some units that show up from time to time.

There are always a great number of nice resorts available in the Orlando area; both on II and RCI.

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't personally monitor DVC availability....but you can certainly review the 'sightings' thread if you join TUG. This area is a 'members only' area.
The cost to become a member of TUG is just $15. It's the best $15 you'll ever spend.

I know that DVC availability is limited, but I believe there are some units that show up from time to time.

There are always a great number of nice resorts available in the Orlando area; both on II and RCI.
Just joined, thanks! I put you as my referral.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
You probably already have your answer but just in case I can give you some RCI specific info as I a) just joined, b) own at the same resort as you, and c) also am thinking of Orlando in mid/late August.

If you deposit soon you should get a decent amount of TPU in RCI. Our week is August though so you may get less as you will be closer to check-in date. If I had deposited in late May I would have gotten less TPU than I did so it would depend on your exact week and when you deposit. You should not have a problem getting something near to WDW. I see quite a number of resorts at various TPU points (e.g. Sheraton Vistana, various Hiltons, Orange Lakes etc.). To get a DVC resort I think you would have had to set up an OGS a while ago and they cost a lot of TPU (around 60?) so you probably wouldn't have enough anyway. There may be some units close to check-in date for a reduced number of TPU but that is of course quite uncertain (I am kind of hoping for that).

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score

So my week doesn't really have to be exchanged in order to look for availability, correct? I just choose my timeshare and put in a date and location (if I remember the screen correctly) and I can look at availability without committing my week to exchange? Is that correct?
Thanks so much for your help. I'm new to II as well and I'm uncertain of how their website works.

Dee

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So my week doesn't really have to be exchanged in order to look for availability, correct? I just choose my timeshare and put in a date and location (if I remember the screen correctly) and I can look at availability without committing my week to exchange? Is that correct?
Thanks so much for your help. I'm new to II as well and I'm uncertain of how their website works.

Dee
Dee, in many/most timeshare systems (on Interval Intl), it is not necessary to deposit to do a search. Of course, if you find something that you want to exchange you'll need to have a real reservation. If you don't have a real reservation (like using a bogus res number) and you tried to reserve, it would go into a pending status. When they tried to confirm with your home resort, then it will (or should) be rejected.

There are a few timeshare systems where you must to a deposit in order to search. But, I think that you can figure that out in Interval by going to Exchange > My Units and see if you can find your units for 2018, 2019, etc. If you can see that, then click on Vacation Request and enter the bogus res number. Don't click on Deposit unless that is really what you want to do. I believe that if you own at a resort that requires you to deposit before searching, your will see on that page a notification along the lines of "you must contact your resort to have them deposit..."

One of the things that I have done from time-to-time is to plug in different reservation dates to see how it affects what comes up on a search. One time I had a tough decision to make: I could see a good exchange using a mediocre demand week. But if I wanted to deposit a higher demand week, I had to wait until thanksgiving. In all likelihood if I had waited 2 months that the unit I was trying to exchange into would be long gone. So, I reserved a mediocre week 1 BR, and exchanged into a 2 BR in Marriott Newport Coast.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas

Dee
Hey Dee,

I just did a quick II search using a Gold week at Shadow Ridge for the last week in July (so similar to what you are getting) and found a ton of availability for the 2nd half of August in Orlando. I have no idea how your week compares to a 2BR Marriott Shadow Ridge, but with the number of timeshares in Orlando, I would be surprised if you couldn't get something nice. Cypress Harbor, Grande Vista & Harbor Lake all were available.

John

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
You probably already have your answer but just in case I can give you some RCI specific info as I a) just joined, b) own at the same resort as you, and c) also am thinking of Orlando in mid/late August.

If you deposit soon you should get a decent amount of TPU in RCI. Our week is August though so you may get less as you will be closer to check-in date. If I had deposited in late May I would have gotten less TPU than I did so it would depend on your exact week and when you deposit. You should not have a problem getting something near to WDW. I see quite a number of resorts at various TPU points (e.g. Sheraton Vistana, various Hiltons, Orange Lakes etc.). To get a DVC resort I think you would have had to set up an OGS a while ago and they cost a lot of TPU (around 60?) so you probably wouldn't have enough anyway. There may be some units close to check-in date for a reduced number of TPU but that is of course quite uncertain (I am kind of hoping for that).
Thanks for the reply! I still haven't deposited my week, so I appreciate your help. I'm trying to decide right now if I should hang onto my week, sell it myself or let the resort sell it, and rent one of the many deals out there OR do an exchange.
My fear with the exchange is that we have a 1 BR 2 Bath but need a 2 BR 2 Bath for Orlando, so we will have to pay exchange and upgrade fees plus either ii or RCI membership fees. With so many deals out there through owner rental sites, it might be better to sell the week.
We own the third week of July at WC so I have to decide soon!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the reply! I still haven't deposited my week, so I appreciate your help. I'm trying to decide right now if I should hang onto my week, sell it myself or let the resort sell it, and rent one of the many deals out there OR do an exchange.
My fear with the exchange is that we have a 1 BR 2 Bath but need a 2 BR 2 Bath for Orlando, so we will have to pay exchange and upgrade fees plus either ii or RCI membership fees. With so many deals out there through owner rental sites, it might be better to sell the week.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind when depositing and exchanging:
1. Reserve the highest demand week that you can
2. After you have reserved a high demand week don't wait excessively long to deposit it. I suspect that ii starts degrading the value of your week sometime around the 120 day point - - perhaps even a bit longer.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score

As I said above, I am pretty sure you will get a decent number of TPUs if you deposit in RCI (though it may be a bit less as your week is coming up sooner) and I can see plenty of 2 BR resorts in Orlando (haven't paid attention to number of BR but assume it matches). If you are not too particular and do it soon you are sure to get what you need.

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I said above, I am pretty sure you will get a decent number of TPUs if you deposit in RCI (though it may be a bit less as your week is coming up sooner) and I can see plenty of 2 BR resorts in Orlando (haven't paid attention to number of BR but assume it matches). If you are not too particular and do it soon you are sure to get what you need.
Thank you! We actually have a 1BR at WC, but need a 2BR for our Orlando trip, so not sure how RCI handles that? I know II charges an upgrade fee.
I've also had others here tell me to look for the Getaways or Exclusive Vacations deals (not sure exactly what RCI calls them), as you can sometimes get a week for $500 or less during non-peak in Orlando. Then you still have your deposit for something else. Did you by any chance look into this?

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! We actually have a 1BR at WC, but need a 2BR for our Orlando trip, so not sure how RCI handles that? I know II charges an upgrade fee.
I've also had others here tell me to look for the Getaways or Exclusive Vacations deals (not sure exactly what RCI calls them), as you can sometimes get a week for $500 or less during non-peak in Orlando. Then you still have your deposit for something else. Did you by any chance look into this?

Well, here is what I think would happen at RCI (I just joined so am far from an expert but as my deposit is almost the same as yours it should be similar): Once you join/deposit you will get a certain number of TPUs. You can basically use these like "fake money" to "buy" an exchange (of course you still have to pay the regular RCI fee and the exchange fee). So if you get for example 30 TPU for your deposit you could exchange for three weeks that are 10 TPU each or for one at 5 and one at 25 etc. (paying an exchange fee for each week).

I am almost certain that you would get a fair number of points (the sooner you get the week deposited the better though as the number will decrease the closer you get). You should get over 30 TPU if I am not mistaken. There are many available weeks in Orlando in August available right now. I see 2 BR at various resorts starting at 4 TPUs so you should be able to get something.

There are also extra weeks available. You would have to do the math to see what makes more sense (price of extra week vs. exchange fee and partial maintenance fees). It probably depends on how many of your TPUs it will cost and on whether you can use your TPUs for something else (i.e. if they go to waste it would be better to use them now):

Rhiannon35

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, here is what I think would happen at RCI (I just joined so am far from an expert but as my deposit is almost the same as yours it should be similar): Once you join/deposit you will get a certain number of TPUs. You can basically use these like "fake money" to "buy" an exchange (of course you still have to pay the regular RCI fee and the exchange fee). So if you get for example 30 TPU for your deposit you could exchange for three weeks that are 10 TPU each or for one at 5 and one at 25 etc. (paying an exchange fee for each week).

I am almost certain that you would get a fair number of points (the sooner you get the week deposited the better though as the number will decrease the closer you get). You should get over 30 TPU if I am not mistaken. There are many available weeks in Orlando in August available right now. I see 2 BR at various resorts starting at 4 TPUs so you should be able to get something.

There are also extra weeks available. You would have to do the math to see what makes more sense (price of extra week vs. exchange fee and partial maintenance fees). It probably depends on how many of your TPUs it will cost and on whether you can use your TPUs for something else (i.e. if they go to waste it would be better to use them now):
Thanks! I appreciate the explanation, I think I like that system better than II because you don't have to pay an upgrade fee. Seems a better trade for someone like me that has a 1BR in high season in a popular locale which is worth more than a 1BR in a low season somewhere not as popular.
Good to know there are a lot of 2BR available. Are they at some of the better resorts (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Sheraton)?

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the explanation, I think I like that system better than II because you don't have to pay an upgrade fee. Seems a better trade for someone like me that has a 1BR in high season in a popular locale which is worth more than a 1BR in a low season somewhere not as popular.
Good to know there are a lot of 2BR available. Are they at some of the better resorts (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Sheraton)?

This can of course change daily but last I checked there was availability at Sheraton Vistana and various Hiltons (not sure if all were 2BR/your exact dates). RCI generally doesn't have Marriotts, you'd have to go to II for that. Hilton does charge a fee (I think $25 per night) for exchanges additionally so you might consider that. I do not know how the available resorts change over time (i.e. whether it is likely that they will be gone soon).