• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This Famous Airline Is Putting a Waist-Size Restriction on Passengers

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
This Famous Airline Is Putting a Waist-Size Restriction on Passengers ( Business Class Passengers, That Is)
By Chris Matyszczyk, owner, Howard Raucous LLC/ Best-Kept Travel Secrets/ Inc./ inc.com

"Will high-paying passengers be able to stomach this?

Absurdly Driven looks at the world of business with a skeptical eye and a firmly rooted tongue in cheek.

Broadly speaking, airlines are happy to annoy customers if they feel they can make money out of it.

What, though, should one make of a curious decision taken by an airline with a reputation for gentle hospitality?

You see, Thai Airways just announced that it's going to be putting certain restrictions on passengers who travel on its Boeing Dreamliner 787-9 planes.

No, it's not going to make the seats smaller than any in aviation history.

Instead, it's going to measure passengers' waists and, if the resulting number is over a certain limit, it's going to not allow the passenger to fly.

Here's the twist.

We're talking about Business Class passengers.

Is it because some Business Class passengers have complained about the size of their fellow humans?

Thai says it's not. It claims that the seats on these planes enjoy new seatbelt airbags that can only encompass a certain girth.

So if you're over 56 inches around the waist, you'll be declined, as the seatbelt won't fasten, says the Bangkok Post...."

getty_511483506_350353.jpg

Will you have to be measured before you can sit down?
CREDIT: Getty Images

Richard

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wasn't it Southwest that decided if a passenger was of a certain size, they had to buy a second seat? Whatever came of that?

Dave

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it Southwest that decided if a passenger was of a certain size, they had to buy a second seat? Whatever came of that?

Dave

From their FAQ on "Customers of Size"
Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; width between the armrests measures 17 inches. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, this is different from what I remember when they first instituted the rule. Back then, IIRC, the "customer of size" was required to buy 2 tickets. If the flight was full, that was that. If the flight wasn't full, they could request a refund.

It sounds like now, they can always get the 2nd fare refunded.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, this is different from what I remember when they first instituted the rule. Back then, IIRC, the "customer of size" was required to buy 2 tickets. If the flight was full, that was that. If the flight wasn't full, they could request a refund.

It sounds like now, they can always get the 2nd fare refunded.

I am always happy when the seat next to mine is empty. Seems giving a second eat away for free costs us all. What if the flight is oversold, who gets bumped the person of size or two people?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am always happy when the seat next to mine is empty. Seems giving a second eat away for free costs us all. What if the flight is oversold, who gets bumped the person of size or two people?
I do not believe airlines dare to involuntarily bump passengers off anymore. It is now about raising the compensation to a level that someone will voluntarily take the offer.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
“Person of size”??????

Geeze, what is world does that mean?

Sort of like “Person of odor”? “Person of dirt”? “Person of halitosis?” “Person of Flakes on the Shoulder?”

Sorry but this is just stupid terminology to me.

Cheers

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I pity the security officers that have to drag the +56" waist person off the plane when they refuse to leave.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Maybe the "second eat” is the root cause of the problem over the years....

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest does NOT drag .. they BRIBE by "public bidding" upwards 'til they get the number of flyers to volunteers needed. Top dollar is paid to all NEEDED seatholders who agree to leave. (Basicly, your ticket price is refunded PLUS the future flight credit offered Plus you fly on the NEXT AVAILABLE flight PLUS hotel accomodation if the next flight is the next day.)

I used to fly more then than now .. SWA 'est-a-mating' has gotten WAY BETTER .. less bumping ... IMHO.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest claims they don't overbooked anymore, and folks on FT back this up - there are very, very few requests for volunteers anymore. It still happens from time to time, usually due to IRROPS (cancelations and such) or crew transport issues.

A COS (as WN terms them) is supposed to buy the extra seat in advance. I would hope that a COS who fails to buy it in advance would be first on the list for a bump if the flight is sold out and somehow has every other passenger show up. In reality, without a company policy of overbooking, it is really rare to have 100% of the passengers show up for any given flight. At least a few standbys are usually able to be accommodated, and the COS would be given their extra seat before the standby folks.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether can anyone simply pay for 2 seats so that there is no one next to the passenger? Do they only allow a large person to do so?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether can anyone simply pay for 2 seats so that there is no one next to the passenger? Do they only allow a large person to do so?

Seems one should be able to do that. Who is to say where the line is on being a large person. The second seat should costs less.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, you can't just buy an extra seat if you aren't a COS. The workaround I've heard is to bring an instrument and buy it it's own seat. We joke that we should bring a harmonica =p