• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC resale

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
ive been considering buying some DVC but haven’t really seen a lot for sale. Where does one find DVC for sale?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I watched this one https://www.disneydvcresale.com/ though it doesn't have all of the resellers. I used DVC Resale Market and Fidelity. I've also enjoyed my DVC benefits so much that we did a 50 direct contract.

Personally I think that all of the grandfathered dates is beginning to get out of control and they may have to stop with the interim reduction in point usage and just make one before/after date. I'm not a fan that I can't reach the Moonlight Magic parties with my resale contracts party night reservations even though they were grandfathered. Also, I just bought 50 and now they say 75 direct points. If things realign and I need another 25 to get those benefits, I would do it. I've purchased 15 DVC Gold passes and attended most of the Moonlight Magic parties.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the difference in benefits between a resale and developer DVC purchase?

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's the difference in benefits between a resale and developer DVC purchase?
With resale you just get the timeshare. None of the extras like cheap passes or the ability to use points for extras like hotels and cruises.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
With resale you just get the timeshare. None of the extras like cheap passes or the ability to use points for extras like hotels and cruises.

You still get early access to the parks, fast pass front of the line, etc?

Is using the points for anything but the timeshares advisable in DVC?

I took a quick look at 100 points resale DVC on the website above, about $15K. Friend of mine just bought DVC 100 points developer for $19k, honestly, not much of a difference between the two. I bet the $15K resale is getting close to what they paid for it in the resale.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I took a quick look at 100 points resale DVC on the website above, about $15K. Friend of mine just bought DVC 100 points developer for $19k, honestly, not much of a difference between the two. I bet the $15K resale is getting close to what they paid for it in the resale.
You get all perks c/w staying on property like early/late access, free park parking and the like including the BLT lounge.. You lose out on the option to trade for DCL, ABC, Disney hotels and the concierge collection. You also lose out on the shopping/dining discounts, pass discounts, EPCOT long, access to the members cruises and access to member events. The 2010 set of restrictions removed the cash exchange options and IMO did the members a favor. The 2016 restrictions removed the other items and any future benefits. The 2018 change to 75 pts to qualify essentially made it where buying FOR the perks/discounts was essentially never going to be reasonable unless buying retail without the perks would make sense. You still get RCI access.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You can get resale much cheaper than that. I just bought a loaded contract at AKV for $110/ point. After I rent my 2017 points for $14 each my cost is $96/point. If I rent the 2018 points as well, after maintenance fees I’ll clear $7/point bringing my cost down to $89/point. As I’m not likely to use it until at least 2019 that’s what I’ll likely do. Current developer prices are over $180/point so I’m at about 50%. I’m ok with less perks for that savings. Whether I buy a 75 point add on will depend on how much my kids like Disney. We’re doing our first trip for 2 weeks this Christmas, staying off property. My kids will be 5 & 1 1/2 so lots of trips in our future.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I bought Aulani for $82.50 per point through Fidelity Resales https://www.fidelityresales.com. This is less than half the direct price. I bought Grand Cal for $161 resale through https://www.dvcresalemarket.com. DVC was not selling Grand Cal last year and they told me to buy resale. At the time, this seemed high but now Grand Cal is $235 direct and quickly increasing on the resale market. I bought my other contracts for VGF, AK and Poly directly from DVC because the price delta at the time for small contracts was not that different in terms of total cost. But I am not as price sensitive as the typical Tugger.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
ive been considering buying some DVC but haven’t really seen a lot for sale. Where does one find DVC for sale?

Did your Animal Kingdom offer pass ROFR?

Last edited:

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did your Animal Kingdom offer pass ROFR?
It just finally got submitted on Tuesday so it’ll be another week at least. More likely 2 weeks

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
You can get resale much cheaper than that. I just bought a loaded contract at AKV for $110/ point. After I rent my 2017 points for $14 each my cost is $96/point. If I rent the 2018 points as well, after maintenance fees I’ll clear $7/point bringing my cost down to $89/point. As I’m not likely to use it until at least 2019 that’s what I’ll likely do. Current developer prices are over $180/point so I’m at about 50%. I’m ok with less perks for that savings. Whether I buy a 75 point add on will depend on how much my kids like Disney. We’re doing our first trip for 2 weeks this Christmas, staying off property. My kids will be 5 & 1 1/2 so lots of trips in our future.
Is seller covering closing costs?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

This is an interesting way to recalculate the cost per point. In this case, I could rent out all my points for a few years. Then I can start using them after I get my buy-in costs down to 75% or heck, why not go for 50%. LOL

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is an interesting way to recalculate the cost per point. In this case, I could rent out all my points for a few years. Then I can start using them after I get my buy-in costs down to 75% or heck, why not go for 50%. LOL
my purchase will actually be self sustaining and eventually pay for itself. I will have 320 points. maintenance fees are around $7 and I can rent points out for $14. The years I don't use my points I will make profit to pay back initial buy in cost. the years we go, we'll stay in a studio for less than half my points and rent the rest to break even. Over 20 years, if we go 7 times, I will have recouped all my costs and still have my points.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
my purchase will actually be self sustaining and eventually pay for itself. I will have 320 points. maintenance fees are around $7 and I can rent points out for $14. The years I don't use my points I will make profit to pay back initial buy in cost. the years we go, we'll stay in a studio for less than half my points and rent the rest to break even. Over 20 years, if we go 7 times, I will have recouped all my costs and still have my points.

Technically, all DVC point sales work like this. Some people rent out points and most people prefer to use their points themselves for personal enjoyment. Everyone can do what you are doing. Am I missing something? Why is yours self sustaining compared to anyone else?

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because I have twice as many points as I need for a 1 week stay, so even on the years we stay for a week I don't have to pay maintenance fees. I can rent half my points to cover all my maintenance fees. From what I can see a lot of people buy smaller contracts and bank and borrow for a stay. That means they are using more than 1 years worth of points for a 1 week stay and so if you own a 100 point contract and bank and borrow to get 150 points for a stay then they have to pay their maintenance fees themselves for that stay. In my case as I have 320 points and need less than 150 for a 1 week studio in the summer then I can rent my extra points for enough to cover my fees. Points rent for slightly more than twice my maintenance fees. On the years we don't go then I recoup $7/point on my initial purchase price. In the long run this will pay for my contract. If I had purchased a smaller contract I could get the same amount of stays but would be paying my own maintenance fees. In 20 years I should have recouped all my initial investment costs without having to pay any more money for maintenance fees ever. The only time I will have to pay maintenance fees is if we want to stay longer or in a 1 or 2 BR unit. Otherwise in 20 years if I can sell my points for what I paid then I will have actually made money and vacationed for free.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Because I have twice as many points as I need for a 1 week stay, so even on the years we stay for a week I don't have to pay maintenance fees. I can rent half my points to cover all my maintenance fees. From what I can see a lot of people buy smaller contracts and bank and borrow for a stay. That means they are using more than 1 years worth of points for a 1 week stay and so if you own a 100 point contract and bank and borrow to get 150 points for a stay then they have to pay their maintenance fees themselves for that stay. In my case as I have 320 points and need less than 150 for a 1 week studio in the summer then I can rent my extra points for enough to cover my fees. Points rent for slightly more than twice my maintenance fees. On the years we don't go then I recoup $7/point on my initial purchase price. In the long run this will pay for my contract. If I had purchased a smaller contract I could get the same amount of stays but would be paying my own maintenance fees. In 20 years I should have recouped all my initial investment costs without having to pay any more money for maintenance fees ever. The only time I will have to pay maintenance fees is if we want to stay longer or in a 1 or 2 BR unit. Otherwise in 20 years if I can sell my points for what I paid then I will have actually made money and vacationed for free.

I think this is true for anyone, regardless of contract size. DVC points are in such high demand on the rental market that I think any amount of points we don't use can be rented out. Perhaps other more experienced DVC owners can chime in here? Dean, what do you think?

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think this is true for anyone, regardless of contract size. DVC points are in such high demand on the rental market that I think any amount of points we don't use can be rented out. Perhaps other more experienced DVC owners can chime in here? Dean, what do you think?
Yes, but you can’t rent what you spent! If you have a small contract you can certainly rent them out to cover your maintenance fees but then you never get to use the yourself. In order to do what I’m doing you have to have twice as many points as you need in any one year. That way the year you use is free and other years you make money.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Yes, but you can’t rent what you spent! If you have a small contract you can certainly rent them out to cover your maintenance fees but then you never get to use the yourself. In order to do what I’m doing you have to have twice as many points as you need in any one year. That way the year you use is free and other years you make money.

This does not make sense to me. I do not think contract size matters. If you have 4-5 contracts worth 320 points or 1 contract worth 320 point, it’s the same thing. You might pay a little more in closing costs but you also gain 11 month booking advantage at multiple resorts for your own usage. With multiple contracts, you just rent out unused points. Same as what you are doing. However, remember, most DVC buyers do not care about what you care about. They are buying to use. We bought to use. We have 470 points. We could care less about renting to cover our MFs. We only care about renting if we can’t use all of our points. Frankly, if anyone is buying extra points just to rent them out, I would say there are better ways to make money!

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This does not make sense to me. I do not think contract size matters. If you have 4-5 contracts worth 320 points or 1 contract worth 320 point, it’s the same thing. You might pay a little more in closing costs but you also gain 11 month booking advantage at multiple resorts for your own usage. With multiple contracts, you just rent out unused points. Same as what you are doing. However, remember, most DVC buyers do not care about what you care about. They are buying to use. We bought to use. We have 470 points. We could care less about renting to cover our MFs. We only care about renting if we can’t use all of our points. Frankly, if anyone is buying extra points just to rent them out, I would say there are better ways to make money!
You’re right, it’s not about contract size per se, it’s about total points. If you own 2x more points than you need then you can stay for free every year. Use half, rent half. But if you have just enough points for your stay every year you can’t do that. You could go every other year and cover your Maint fee that way. In my case I look at it like this. If I pay $100/point and rent my points for a profit of $7/point then I’m making a 7% dividend on my points(shares) during the years when I don’t go. Do that 14 times and you’ve got your initial purchase price back. The years I do go I will break even. In the end I can take my kids 6 times to Disney for free! And sell my points after 20 years for a clear profit no matter what I get for them.

Why pay to go to Disney if I can go for free.

With any timeshares, if you own the right units you can rent some to cover the maintenance fees on all. That way you can vacation for free.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying extra points specifically to rent out doesn't make sense but sometimes one needs more later or finds a contract that's too good to pass up.

That assumes they are all the same home resort and UY. If they are smaller it is not the same, it might be better or worse depending on specifics.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buying extra points specifically to rent out doesn't make sense but sometimes one needs more later or finds a contract that's too good to pass up.
To me it makes sense if you can afford the initial purchase without borrowing money. I stay for free every year and have enough points to bring family along if we want. The years we don’t go I pay back my initial purchase. As my kids are 4 yo and 7 mo I have no idea if they will even like Disney. This method hedges my bet so I’ll never lose money.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me it makes sense if you can afford the initial purchase without borrowing money. I stay for free every year and have enough points to bring family along if we want. The years we don’t go I pay back my initial purchase. As my kids are 4 yo and 7 mo I have no idea if they will even like Disney. This method hedges my bet so I’ll never lose money.
Just as an investment it will be more risky and have a lower long term return than simply buying the lower amount of points and investing the difference. Otherwise if one thinks it makes sense they should be thousands rather than hundreds. As I noted, there are other reasons it might make sense but not as a financial investment IMO.