• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting a ski weekend using points

bobbyseal

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here. I am trying to learn about HGVC. I am interested in getting a long weekend at Valdoro or Sunrise lodge during February or March. I wouldn't be looking to go over President's weekend. It seems like I would need 5000-7000 points for a Thurs-Sunday weekend for a 2 bedroom.

How likely could I book a ski weekend like this at the 9 month window if I owned 7000 points at a low maintenance fee resort like Las Vegas or Orlando?

Thanks for any tips.
Bobby

Last edited:

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Valdoro, but I have had a good success rate at Sunrise. At 9 months out, it's hard to find reservations. But as you get closer to Feb and Mar, it gets easier with people canceling.

bobbyseal

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I like to plan things out somewhat. It's hard to get locked into a timeshare system that only has two mountain resorts which I would be hoping at best to get a room with short notice if the snow isn't good!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I think that expecting to get a Thursday-Sunday reservation will be hard. These are both Sat-Sat home week reservations so you would be requiring days from two different weeks. I think that will be very hard to expect. I see that when someone releases a week, the weekend is usually picked off very quickly.

That being said, I do agree that you could try when the 9-month window opens. The next opportunity will most likely be approximately 30-40 days prior.

I think that you will have better luck at Park City than Breckenridge. But, you never know what can and will happen because I was able to book a 2-Br during the President Weekend at Valdoro last month. This was release exactly at the 30 days prior to reservation.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I think that expecting to get a Thursday-Sunday reservation will be hard. These are both Sat-Sat home week reservations so you would be requiring days from two different weeks. I think that will be very hard to expect. I see that when someone releases a week, the weekend is usually picked off very quickly.

That being said, I do agree that you could try when the 9-month window opens. The next opportunity will most likely be approximately 30-40 days prior.

I think that you will have better luck at Park City than Breckenridge. But, you never know what can and will happen because I was able to book a 2-Br during the President Weekend at Valdoro last month. This was release exactly at the 30 days prior to reservation.

We have tried for the last 3 or 4 years to get into Breck Feb and/or March and never can grab a room for a week. Admittedly don't always hit the 9 month mark but pretty close. Per your comment we have had almost universal success in Park City for the First week in April where the skiing can and usually is still good.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW...There is a Valdoro 14,000 point week 2 on Judikoz site for $15000. I don't know any more details, however, it might not only be a good week to own but possibly to rent out in years you cannot use. That's a pretty good point ratio for a prime ski week.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
FWIW...There is a Valdoro 14,000 point week 2 on Judikoz site for $15000. I don't know any more details, however, it might not only be a good week to own but possibly to rent out in years you cannot use. That's a pretty good point ratio for a prime ski week.
Thanks for the tip, yeah nice point ratio for sure!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I've looked at that one. It is a fixed week 2, 2BR ski week (7000 points) and a summer floating 2BR (7000 points), so it is two maintenance fees, both on the high side. I think they recently had a week 7 + summer float 2BR for $9500 that I almost bit because of often landing on Presidents Day weekend, but I really couldn't justify tanking on two additional, high maintenance fees.

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
ahhh....that makes more sense. I didn't think Valdoro had 14k point weeks. Thanks for sharing @PigsDad. Your other deal at $9,500 sounds interesting but depends on how the maintenance fees balance out.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I've looked at that one. It is a fixed week 2, 2BR ski week (7000 points) and a summer floating 2BR (7000 points), so it is two maintenance fees, both on the high side. I think they recently had a week 7 + summer float 2BR for $9500 that I almost bit because of often landing on Presidents Day weekend, but I really couldn't justify tanking on two additional, high maintenance fees.

Kurt
The MFs sound like a possible deal breaker but the summer week doesn't throw me off. Actually when I saw the point level I figured it was two weeks. Ball park, what are the MFs fee there and I assume they change winter to summer?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The MFs for Valdoro are collected two times during the year. The first bill in January collects 1/2 of the yearly operating fee plus all remanding fees. In July, the second 1/2 OF is collected.

Valdoro Mtn Lodge Studio
2018 Operating Fee: $471.42
2018 Real Estate Taxes: $22.29
2018 Reserve: $164.32
2018 Total: $658.03
Increase: $35.77 (5.75% increase)

Valdoro Mtn Lodge 1BR

2018 Operating Fee: $673.14
2018 Real Estate Taxes: $39.92
2018 Reserve: $294.34
2018 Total: $1.007.40
Increase: $48.43 (5.05% increase)

Valdoro Mtn Lodge 2BR
2018 Operating Fee: $868.58
2018 Real Estate Taxes: $57.99
2018 Reserve: $420.30
2018 Total: $1,346.87
Increase: $61.63 (4.80% increase)

Valdoro Mtn Lodge 3BR
2018 Operating Fee: $1,057.14
2018 Real Estate Taxes: $73.48
2018 Reserve: $541.82
2018 Total: $1,672.44
Increase: $72.44 (4.53% increase)

No, the MFs for summer and winter are both the same. Remember, in general, MFs for HGVC are determined by room size not season nor view.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
No, the MFs for summer and winter are both the same. Remember, in general, MFs for HGVC are determined by room size not season nor view.
Interesting, I have a TS in Snow Bird and summer MFs are almost half of what winters are so I just assumed, not owning a HGVC property in the mountains, that it would be the same. My place in Snow Bird argues that the summer is much cheaper to maintain the place, no argument there.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
It's not hard to get the dates you want at Valdoro, but it is hard to get those dates at 9 months out. Valdoro was sold as fixed ski weeks during ski season (and some floats like I have, but mostly fixed). A fixed ski week owner must give up their week before you can have access to it. The likelihood that someone gives up their ski week at 9 months out is low.

However, this season I used points for Valdoro over Christmas week and soon Spring Break. The dates pop up, you just can't expect to see them all available when you log in June 1. In fact, 9 months out is probably when you'll find a blank ski calendar and get discouraged. In my experience, owners give up their ski weeks 30-90 days out in larger numbers, but you never know what you'll find from day-to-day.

bobbyseal

Reaction score
It's not hard to get the dates you want at Valdoro, but it is hard to get those dates at 9 months out. Valdoro was sold as fixed ski weeks during ski season (and some floats like I have, but mostly fixed). A fixed ski week owner must give up their week before you can have access to it. The likelihood that someone gives up their ski week at 9 months out is low.

However, this season I used points for Valdoro over Christmas week and soon Spring Break. The dates pop up, you just can't expect to see them all available when you log in June 1. In fact, 9 months out is probably when you'll find a blank ski calendar and get discouraged. In my experience, owners give up their ski weeks 30-90 days out in larger numbers, but you never know what you'll find from day-to-day.

Good information. I have tended to be quite the planner. It's good to get the real world info on how people are booking some ski weeks.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I think it’s probably pretty close to trying to book Christmas and New Years in Hawaii. If you look at the calendar right now there are mostly voids where those two weeks are. Those are event weeks and as such come as a guaranteed reservation for their owners. If the owner wants the points instead they have to actually call HGVC and convert their week to points. Until they do that the week remains unavailable. As everyone vacations differently they can release their week anytime up until 30 days before. If you want it bad enough you just have to check frequently and hope you catch a released week just as it’s released.

Fixed ski weeks would be the same. Some will cash them in a year in advance to take a trip somewhere else and some will convert them 31 days before because they can’t make it this year or haven’t managed to rent it.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Similar to Thanksgiving at W 57th St. It's an event week but things open up the closer you get. Just booked Thanksgiving for the second time without owning that week.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Similar to Thanksgiving at W 57th St. It's an event week but things open up the closer you get. Just booked Thanksgiving for the second time without owning that week.
Cool. Enjoy the parade. Can you see it from the building?