• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help Marriott Beach Place Towers, Fort Lauderdale

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to MBP next year to celebrate the big one Fifty (50) years of marriage.
Which side of the resort can you best see the cruise ships leaving and returning? Also, what is the best floor to request? Plus, what are the best local restaurants near the resort (walking distance).? We are not renting an automobile for this trip.

We are staying at MBP after a twelve (12) Days Southern Carribean Cruise.

All the help, suggestions, and advice to make this Special.

Thanks in Advance!!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Congrats on 50. The best view of ships is ocean side...maybe the furthest south corner suite on a relatively high floor. The ships are still a ways away so take your binoculars.

There are some very good upscale restaurants walking distance away...next door at the Ritz, a little further north at the W hotel, Hilton, Atlantic (and maybe the new Conrad). A longer walk or short taxi to Galleria Mall has Truluck's, Capital Grille, Season's 52, PF Chang, Blue Martini. There are no shortages of good restaurants in Ft. Laud. A fun night would be Mai Kai on North Federal. or Chez Pierre dining school.

http://www.chefjeanpierre.com/

Enjoy.

Brian

Last edited:

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
We are going to MBP next year to celebrate the big one Fifty (50) years of marriage.
Which side of the resort can you best see the cruise ships leaving and returning? Also, what is the best floor to request? Plus, what are the best local restaurants near the resort (walking distance).? We are not renting an automobile for this trip.

We are staying at MBP after a twelve (12) Days Southern Carribean Cruise.

All the help, suggestions, and advice to make this Special.

Thanks in Advance!!
We did the same after a cruise last year. Found that the best rooms are a high floor on the intercoastal side...at night the ocean side is just dark and noise from down below can be loud. Even on the intercoastal side you cannot see cruise ships coming/going since it is a pretty good distance. A good take is the water taxi for a cruise on the waterway and there is a restaurant that's pretty good at the last stop...forgot the name but the BP concierge can make reservations and has discount tickets for the restaurant and the water taxi.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that I prefer the Intercostal view due to all the bright lights of Fort Lauderdale being available to see at night. Do request a high floor. Whichever side of the building you get, there is the owner's lounge on the top floor which has a huge balcony overlooking the ocean. Since all the cruise ships tend to leave at the same time of day (coincidentally happy hour) you can always take wine and cheese up there and watch the departing ships. Hardly anyone ever uses this glorious space.

My favorite restaurant is Greek Islands Taverna if you like Mediterranean food. It's not walking distance, but it is on the water taxi route which makes it very romantic, especially in the evening. The water taxi itself is a fun sightseeing trip. The boat captain always has interesting stories about what you're floating by, so it is fun to make the whole trip. Greek Islands Taverna is at the most northern stop of the water taxi, two blocks east of it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/greek-islands-taverna-fort-lauderdale

http://watertaxi.com

To plan the days of times of cruise ship watching, check this site.
https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have use the water taxi before. We have walked from the Embassy Suite to the water taxi stop.
Thanks to all for suggesting the Intercoastal view side. We will ask for a high floor and for the Intercoastal view.

The first Fifth (50) Years have been very fast, rewarding and wonderful. The only downsize have been the loss of both of our Parents and some very close Friends(Pedro). We have been very bless the first Fifty Year:. God, Family, Grandkids, Great employment with some outstanding retirement benefits.

Yes! I still Love my Spouse.

Dinner time The Commander In Chief is calling (smiling).

Last edited:

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be the outlier here and suggest that being able to listen to the ocean at night is one of the treats I enjoy staying on the ocean side, anywhere from five floors above the pool works for me. Then again, you'll have been out on the ocean for a good stretch so maybe the less water the better <g>. We'll be there again this coming Wednesday. My favorite restaurants include Rocco's Tacos on Los Olas Blvd. but that may be a bit more of a walk than you'd like, 1.7 miles. On a nice night, I really enjoy the walk and can split a pitcher of margaritas, something I can't do driving <g>. The Ritz Carlton has nice restaurants but my favorite is sitting on their porch with a hamburger and a beer overlooking the ocean and they have had a special on that for a couple of years now. At the Galleria Mall there are a bunch of good restaurants including Seasons 52, the Capital Grille and PF Changs all of which I happen to enjoy. There is a trolly service that runs along the beach but doesn't run through the evening, it can take you down Los Olas or up to the Galleria. It's called the Sun Trolley. The better restaurants are in the "business" section of Los Olas Blvd. and which is even a longer walk than Rocco's but a quick Uber/Taxi ride. Sounds like you have a great trip planned, congratulations on 50 years.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
For an urban beach location, MBP is great. I also suggest a high floor on the South side of the resort. Ocean and intercostal views are both great. Different, but each has their own draw. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance or a short taxi/Uber ride. You will be fine without a car.

Enjoy MBP and A1A! Congrats on 50 yrs!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many floors does MBP have? I would liked to ask for any high floor from the eight to the tenth floor is that possible? Is the floor layoff like OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach.
To all I just realize I missspelled a word in my title. Should be Place.
The Commander In Chief would be very upset over this.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Might want to take the day bus trip to Key West ... motor bus with bath has pickup from the resort (only 1 day a week) ... allows you to realize Florida is a BIG, long state. The trip home seems to go faster as most everyone is asleep.

There is also a 1/2 day bus trip to the Everglades ... if I recall rightly. Used to include an airboat ride and a taste of aligator meat when you stop at an animal refuge & rehab.

The number 50 bus runs past Beachplace going to & from the Galleria Mall ... going to the Mall is on the ocean side of A1A and the return trips drop you off behind the resort (where A1A runs south). The Mall is the LAST stop for the 50 check the BCT (Broward County Bus) schedule ONLINE before going to help you plan your day.

I hardy ever rent a car in FLL ... the bus has a senior rate and an all day pass which you can BUY on the bus. You pay when you get on. And most tours will pickup at your resort. Cabs are very reasonable and around most tourist spots. And if you see locals going in & out bars and eating dives, will generally be reasonable in price and decent food.

The Beachplace Mall is NOT a local place ... and has more than 2 empty storefronts.

One of my relaxing OCEAN VIEW early dining (not yet dark) places is "Thai on the Beach" ... a 2nd floor walkup with windows overlook A1A. It looks like a 'dive' with the metal outdoor steps .. but the owner & family has been cooking there for 15+ years and are Thai natives. Intimate and small ... BYOB if you desire.. but tea is drunk by most guests. Might NOT be open for lunch. It is at the TRAFFIC light corner before Sunrise Blvd... but it is a Bus Stop about 1/2 block before... just past the Bonnet House... a historic FLL house and garden ... might take a tour of the house and eat at the Thai place before heading back to BP. ... the area has character and is NOT dressed up for tourists ... locals regularly visit the area to get away from tourists. Google Bonnet House ... a cab drop off MIGHT get you to the parking lot without a long hunt walking for the door.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the tip about the Thai restaurant. I'm sure I've walked by it countless times without paying any attention at all to it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Thai restaurant tip. We really enjoy good real Thai food. We have been to Key West about five (5) times it is to warm for me.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
We have been able to trade into PBT for the last 4 or 5 years. This year we are going to Ocean Pointe, we actually like BPT even better. If you like Maine lobster and Ipswich clams, then Kelly's Landing is where you should go. They are open for lunch and dinner, we go on the days when they have the Lobster specials and stone crab specials. You can give a call to find out the days. There is a line at night, so we go about 1 or 2 to miss the lines. The owner and most of the help is from MA. Worth the cost of a cab. We will be driving over to Ft. Lauderdale for the lobster specials.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you want a police officer ... the "24 hour Pizza" joint under "Thai on the Beach" seems to be the place. Yes, the pizza place is ALWAYS open ... does NOT close. Does breakfast in the AM, I believe. Has some outdoor tables ... no table service. So, 3AM or 4AM munchies can be feed ... just walk or take a taxi if the driver can't "walk the line" or pass a "blow into the machine" test.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been able to trade into PBT for the last 4 or 5 years. This year we are going to Ocean Pointe, we actually like BPT even better. If you like Maine lobster and Ipswich clams, then Kelly's Landing is where you should go. They are open for lunch and dinner, we go on the days when they have the Lobster specials and stone crab specials. You can give a call to find out the days. There is a line at night, so we go about 1 or 2 to miss the lines. The owner and most of the help is from MA. Worth the cost of a cab. We will be driving over to Ft. Lauderdale for the lobster specials.

How far are they from the resort.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like lobster, try Juno Beach Fish House on a Tuesday night when you are at Ocean Pointe. They have a great lobster special.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like the bump-out rooms on the intracoastal side. They are behind the elevators and you can see both ways, up and down the intracoastal. Other rooms have a view impeded by the bump outs.

Enjoy Beachplace.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like the bump-out rooms on the intracoastal side. They are behind the elevators and you can see both ways, up and down the intracoastal. Other rooms have a view impeded by the bump outs.

Enjoy Beachplace.
Thanks! By chance do you remember the room numbers and what floor?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have forgotten to mention, we have a two (2) bedroom villa. Will this help us to obtain a better view & a high floor?

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any updated news on renovations at the resorts?

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro - got back from FL a few days ago, remembered your question. Nineteen floors. While we prefer the ocean view, the intercoastal view is really a lot quieter.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding "Thai on the Beach" - thanks again for that tip, we'd passed it dozens of time never paying any attention to it, we're always focused on Primantis which for us is a notable local attraction. Went there with friends, thought our food was good but some portions were more appetizer-sized than entree-sized. I was surprised by how uninviting the entrance area is. I know Monday isn't the biggest night out but that's when we went and we were the only table in the place for most of the time. We do like Thai and will return there.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your update on the Thai restaurant. I am not looking for a fancy store front Thai restaurant. I am looking for excellent serve and an excellent meal. How is the resort renovations coming along. Are they finish painting the exterior of the building?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding "Thai on the Beach" - thanks again for that tip, we'd passed it dozens of time never paying any attention to it, we're always focused on Primantis which for us is a notable local attraction. Went there with friends, thought our food was good but some portions were more appetizer-sized than entree-sized. I was surprised by how uninviting the entrance area is. I know Monday isn't the biggest night out but that's when we went and we were the only table in the place for most of the time. We do like Thai and will return there.

The Primantis pizza underneath opened up around 1976. And they own the building. The "Thai on the Beach" has been there 15+ years ... renting the space from the pizza people. Low volume for a small space. Unique offering ... family run & cooking.

I was there 2 weeks ago ... maybe a total of 8-10 tables came and went during my dinner. And many be 1 other table was occupied when I arrived. Dining alone, it is nice, as I know another group will not be waiting for my table (me) to leave. When more people are there ... say on FRI/SAT, I get takeout, as my resort is just up the block.

Yes, I find some of the portions can be modest .. but I go for the food. And the prices are reasonable.

And I was surprised many people came after 8PM to eat. Most tables were occupied (or just left) by when I left.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would appear we were there at the same time - arrived on the 4th, ate Thai on the 12th, moved to South Beach on the 16th. You saw a lot more than we did, a couple of groups came and looked around and went out. The service was excellent, the curry sauces were very, very good. I really respected them for refusing to serve their mango dessert that my wife had a hankering for, said the mangos weren't ripe enough. Lots of places would have served it anyways.

We tend to cook for ourselves most nights in FLL and go out every night when we move down the road. There's a terrific Peruvian restaurant in Hollywood that we drive down to, Runas Peruvian on 21st St. And I always enjoy Seasons 52, the only chain restaurant that I seek out when we're down there. And BurgerFI - love them! We only keep a car rental for four or five days, enough time to visit friends, get some shopping done and if the weather is mediocre, drive into Miami's art district. Then we walk wherever we want to go. We both really like Beach Towers and often go twice a winter like we did this year but my wife now refuses to spend another spring break there so in a few weeks we'll be in West Palm which I don't like as much but now that they have a ballpark I just might warm up to going there during spring training. We'll go down to Bradenton to watch a few Pirate games (sad as they appear to be in terms of players) then cross over to West Palm where both the Nationals and the Astros are sharing the new park - two really good teams.

Again, thanks for the restaurant tip. If you're looking for some great places to eat in Miami or South Beach, just ask. I really enjoy it until I see the credit card bill the next month.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, at least as of last week they have a lot of work to do, their lift equipment was set up alongside the building in the pool area. On neither visit did we find them obtrusive but even high up you need to be aware that they could be passing by so closing your curtains when leaving the shower isn't a bad idea. It's pretty obvious by the cabling where they are working, if memory serves me correctly there are probably five or six vertical runs needed to cover the entire side so it's not like everyone sees them. Once they finish whatever it is that they're doing they'll have a lot of calking to do inside and out.

Another restaurant you may want to consider is a very nice French bakery that serves breakfast and lunch. It's Nanou French Bakery on Los Olas Blvd, just a few blocks from BPT. Walk out of the building and take Cortez (which runs alongside the building) to the rear of the building which is Seabreeze Drive. Turn left on Seabreeze, walk two blocks down to Los Olas Blvd. and turn right as if you want to go over the bridge, you'll see it about one block down on your right. It is rated 5-star on Trip Advisor. We often would do our morning walk going over the bridge and through the scenic housing developments on the other side, then on the way back pick up a warm baguette to have with a late breakfast or lunch.

It should come as no surprise that the diet started again as soon as we landed Monday night. Again, congratulations on your 50th and have a great time.