• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Appauled

Reaction score
Here is a thought, if enough people come forward to claim bankruptcy as I am sure many have been left with out an other choice given the FANTASTIC deal by our sharp negotiator and lawyer MG. Could this not force MG & NM to negotiate a better settlement or deal with the consequences of working with bankruptcy companies for several hundred timeshare owners? Is this not what is shaping up to be real outcome?

Shake Down

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont/Sunchaser 92'
Did I understand this right? Did the Merriman’s say Collin Knight only owned 25% of Fairmont Resort Properties LD? And the other 75% of the Resort was owned by the Trustee’s 3 X wife’s ? That being 25% each. Is this not a conflict-of-interest? What does Trustee mean? You can not Trust this son of a bitch for nothing . This is all Fraud.

Ya dig into FRPL Finance Collin Knight, more pieces and names start to fall into place. Here is an interesting link to check out.
http://frplfinance.blogspot.ca/2010/02/key-personnel-frpl-finance.html

Spark1

Reaction score
Spark 1, of all people, you need to be told NOW it's a Fraud? Are you surprised? You do know Collin Knight sold a resort to his brother and they didn't even change the phone number for the head office in Canada, right? They then immediately told the Leasees that they'd have to raise their maintenance fees because of the poor condition of the 'PROPERTY' - it wasn't a bleeping Resort either (#NAFR) - which they blamed on the previous bad management. If that sounds familiar, then yes, it's a FRAUD?
I feel you are talking about the Rancho Bandaras Resort in Punta Mita area Mexico. Am I right? I was staying at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos that year and we were in the hot tub and there was some lady’s that were from that resort and they were very upset about the high increases in maintenance fees. At that time I never new any thing about these White Collar Crooks. I can not remember what year that was. The brothers name I believe was Bryon.

Timesharepain

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont
Grand Okanagan
This is great news! Ok everyone, if you haven't yet sent a complaint about your injustice to the Competition Bureau NOW is the time to do it.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GHÉT-7TDNA5

There is strength in numbers! The more of us that send our story the more it will send up red flags. Even if you send a short note, it will be added to the total number of complaints.

Also, do send a message to our leader at justin.trudeau@parl.gc.ca! Include our deadline of Feb. 15 in your response to those that read it to make them aware of the urgency for action! With enough responses, we will get noticed!

To be silent and do nothing but pay is exactly what MG & KW want which is just not right!
So is complaint regarding Gelbert or Northmont?? Not good at figuring all this out!!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
So the time to have put your payment in the mail is pretty much at an end and I for one don’t feel real secure knowing we mailed our hard earned money to what I assume is Michael’s apartment where he must live with his wife Patricia.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/93...4d9881ef5689b!8m2!3d49.2790699!4d-123.1208517

I can bet the concierge at the building has been told to expect to receive our individual package along with the other 1284 registered Canada Post packages coming and will do their best to look after a building tenants needs.

I can only expect since the concierge doesn’t work for Michael that these packages will probably be just left sitting around as the concierge runs around doing their expected concierge stuff for everyone else who resides in the building. Just think all these packages are of no importance to them and with so many showing up all at once will become a real nuisance as this is not a business place where things could actually be handled professionally.

Wonder if the concierge or janitor are bonded?

Too bad we were specifically directed on how to pay – if Canada still had pennies it might have been fun to dig up and send 3,500,000 pennies delivered with a dump truck that can handle the 35,000lbs or 70,000 rolls it would take.

Alternately since pennies are now out of favour in Canada I could have made Michael’s life interesting by using an alternate denomination:
Denomination | Coins Required | # of Pounds | # of rolls
Nickels | 700,000 Coins | 6096lbs | 17500 Rolls
Dimes | 350000 Coins | 1350lbs | 7000 Rolls
Quarters | 140000 Coins | 1358lbs | 3500 Rolls
Loonies | 35000 Coins | 484lbs | 1400 Rolls
Toonies | 17500 Coins | 267lbs | 175 Rolls

Moving beyond the payment stage maybe we should look at hiring this guy as our investigator because maybe he can help to track down the real rodent in this mess.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I feel you are talking about the Rancho Bandaras Resort in Punta Mita area Mexico. Am I right? I was staying at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos that year and we were in the hot tub and there was some lady’s that were from that resort and they were very upset about the high increases in maintenance fees. At that time I never new any thing about these White Collar Crooks. I can not remember what year that was. The brothers name I believe was Bryon.

That I am my friend, that I am.

But it could be any one of the many properties they've failed at managing as a vacation resort. For example, the colossal failure Rafter Six Ranch. It's colossal because it was a quaint dude ranch that hosted the royalty of entertainment for decades. It was the poster child for the Western Canadian pioneering spirit. It prospered humbly for three decades. Always family owned and operated. But what happens? Wearing white hats and riding white horses along comes Collin Knight and Douglas Morcom. They are singing that city slicker song that goes like this, "Why shucks, there's hardly no tellin' what this here place 'il do when we bring our expert marketing and sales team to this here rodeo. Why yo'all 'ill have to start-up the Pony Express to get all yer money to the bank." And with illusions of bountiful prosperity, they convince the Crowleys, the couple that owned Rafter Six, to become world-class because, that's what Collin Knight and Douglas Morcom do, they convince people to spend their own money, they sell.

Knight and Morcom both started their skullduggery in 1980 in sales at Fairmont. They are world-class at convincing; but, they are NOT world-class at operating.

Fairmont Canada financed by FRPL Finance, I know you've heard of them before, partner with Rafter Six to create a world-class resort.

And guess what happens? Anyone? It's easy. You've seen this before. That's right, little did Rafter Six know that back in town at the saloon sat the rest of the Knight Gang, the FRPL Finance Boys. Well, one boy anyway and three girls. Actually, the three girls weren't there either cause you wouldn't find them in a saloon. They never get too close to the dirty work. They don't really do any work at all. They're there just to throw 'em dam 'Revenoors' off the scent. They even use their maiden names to confuse the Sheriff.

The boys in the saloon they're wearing black hats and have black horses hitched up outside. On cue, they mount those black horses and FRPL Finance rides into Rafter Six and forces Fairmont Canada into receivership, just like they forced Fairmont Vacation Villas into bankruptcy protection. This, of course, forces Rafter Six and the poor Crowley's into foreclosure. You know why? The Contract. The Crowleys, in reading their contract with Fairmont Canada realize they committed the land and buildings to the deal, never having even entertained the idea that it could go this far south.

And we Sunchaser people think we got screwed.

The Sheriff, he doesn't know what to do. He thinks its all just too bad. A 'dag gone shame.' he's overheard to have said at the barbershop. But the Sheriff, he didn't know about Rancho Banderas, Makaha, Costa Maya, Portofino, Oasis Resort, Lake Okanagan, 26-Houseboats and a caravan of RVs. He certainly didn't know about such things as Series A, B, 1 and 2 Mortgage Bonds.

There you have it. All over again. Same story. Mostly the same characters. Different Sheriff naturally. And why did Rancho Banderas, Makaha, Costa Maya, Fairmont Vacation Villas, etc. all end up distressed and sold? It's certainly not because they weren't viable. Its because 'There's gold in them thar contracts". You just have to know how to write 'em, how to use 'em and, be willing to foreclose on widows and evict orphans.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser Vacation Villas
One would think you'd only have to say, Your Honour, "I submit into evidence: Rancho Banderas, Makaha, Costa Maya, Portofino, Oasis Resort, Lake Okanagan, Banff Rocky Mountain Resort, 26-Houseboats, a caravan of RVs & motorcycles, Fairmont Vacation Villas, Fairmont Platinum Vacation Club, FRPL REIT, Northwynd REIT. All bankrupt. Tens if not Hundreds of millions of investor dollars lost. Yet these people prosper. Your Honour the prosecution rests."

Last edited:

truthr

Reaction score

But it could be any one of the many properties they've failed at managing as a vacation resort. For example, the colossal failure Rafter Six Ranch. It's colossal because it was a quaint dude ranch that hosted the royalty of entertainment for decades. It was the poster child for the Western Canadian pioneering spirit. It prospered humbly for three decades. Always family owned and operated. But what happens? Wearing white hats and riding white horses along comes Collin Knight and Douglas Morcom. They are singing that city slicker song that goes like this, "Why shucks, there's hardly no tellin' what this here place 'il do when we bring our expert marketing and sales team to this here rodeo. Why yo'all 'ill have to start-up the Pony Express to get all yer money to the bank." And with illusions of bountiful prosperity, they convince the Crowleys, the couple that owned Rafter Six, to become world-class because, that's what Collin Knight and Douglas Morcom do, they convince people to spend their own money, they sell.

Knight and Morcom both started their skullduggery in 1980 in sales at Fairmont. They are world-class at convincing; but, they are NOT world-class at operating.

Fairmont Canada financed by FRPL Finance, I know you've heard of them before, partner with Rafter Six to create a world-class resort.

And guess what happens? Anyone? It's easy. You've seen this before. That's right, little did Rafter Six know that back in town at the saloon sat the rest of the Knight Gang, the FRPL Finance Boys. Well, one boy anyway and three girls. Actually, the three girls weren't there either cause you wouldn't find them in a saloon. They never get too close to the dirty work. They don't really do any work at all. They're there just to throw 'em dam 'Revenoors' off the scent. They even use their maiden names to confuse the Sheriff.

The boys in the saloon they're wearing black hats and have black horses hitched up outside. On cue, they mount those black horses and FRPL Finance rides into Rafter Six and forces Fairmont Canada into receivership, just like they forced Fairmont Vacation Villas into bankruptcy protection. This, of course, forces Rafter Six and the poor Crowley's into foreclosure. You know why? The Contract. The Crowleys, in reading their contract with Fairmont Canada realize they committed the land and buildings to the deal, never having even entertained the idea that it could go this far south.

The Sheriff, he doesn't know what to do. He thinks its all just too bad. A 'dag gone shame.' he's overheard to have said at the barbershop. But the Sheriff, he didn't know about Rancho Banderas, Makaha, Costa Maya, Portofino, Oasis Resort, Lake Okanagan, 26-Houseboats and a caravan of RVs. He certainly didn't know about such things as Series A, B, 1 and 2 Mortgage Bonds.

There you have it. All over again. Same story. Mostly the same characters. Different Sheriff naturally. And why did Rancho Banderas, Makaha, Costa Maya, Fairmont Vacation Villas, etc. all end up distressed and sold? It's certainly not because they weren't viable. Its because 'There's gold in them thar contracts". You just have to know how to write 'em, how to use 'em and, be willing to foreclose on widows and evict orphans.
So they sharpened their skills on all the other properties not thinking for one minute that there would finally be a group that would fight back and expose what is behind the curtain.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Just a heads up that may or may not be relevant. I bought out in May 2017 and so far as I know a clean legal release from any liability. But I'm now getting phone calls from what is probably a scavenger hoping to horn in on the action. The call says that this is a serious time sensitive legal matter and that I have to return the call immediately to stop any further legal action against me. I don't return the calls because I don't want to open up communication with crooks, but if I did, I expect the message would be that they can stop any further action against me by sending them a sum of money. This wouldn't be Northmont, but possibly scavengers who have somehow got names of those who bought out. And of course it may not be tied to Northmont at all. But, a warning, and I'm wondering if anyone else has received similar calls.

melamike

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchase
So the time to have put your payment in the mail is pretty much at an end and I for one don’t feel real secure knowing we mailed our hard earned money to what I assume is Michael’s apartment where he must live with his wife Patricia.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/93...4d9881ef5689b!8m2!3d49.2790699!4d-123.1208517

I can bet the concierge at the building has been told to expect to receive our individual package along with the other 1284 registered Canada Post packages coming and will do their best to look after a building tenants needs.

I can only expect since the concierge doesn’t work for Michael that these packages will probably be just left sitting around as the concierge runs around doing their expected concierge stuff for everyone else who resides in the building. Just think all these packages are of no importance to them and with so many showing up all at once will become a real nuisance as this is not a business place where things could actually be handled professionally.

Wonder if the concierge or janitor are bonded?

Too bad we were specifically directed on how to pay – if Canada still had pennies it might have been fun to dig up and send 3,500,000 pennies delivered with a dump truck that can handle the 35,000lbs or 70,000 rolls it would take.

Alternately since pennies are now out of favour in Canada I could have made Michael’s life interesting by using an alternate denomination:
Denomination | Coins Required | # of Pounds | # of rolls
Nickels | 700,000 Coins | 6096lbs | 17500 Rolls
Dimes | 350000 Coins | 1350lbs | 7000 Rolls
Quarters | 140000 Coins | 1358lbs | 3500 Rolls
Loonies | 35000 Coins | 484lbs | 1400 Rolls
Toonies | 17500 Coins | 267lbs | 175 Rolls

Moving beyond the payment stage maybe we should look at hiring this guy as our investigator not based on his violent side but because he has a particular set of skills and experience that might help us track down our money down the road even when it gets moved off-shore.

melamike

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchase
I like your creativity and also share some of your concerns even though they were presented 'cheek in mouth' the underlying fear is real. I think the release statement is not very clear and I'm not sure if Northwyn or Sunchaser management could come after us in the future - just not Northmont? The other thing that really concerns me is MG makes his own ''rules''. I mistakenly send the wrong document with my payment and so I emailed him and said I would send the right one. He wants it by tomorrow - not going to happen no matter what I do. I brought to his attention that Clause 9 in the agreement that say the document can be executed by email. In fact in can be executed by email by everyone on separate forms and in different places and when all the forms are together then it's collectively one document. At least that's how I read it. He insists he must have the form with original signatures. So here's my concern - if that clause is not holding up and executable then are there others that are not worth the paper they are written on? Just thinkin....

melamike

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchase
I like your creativity and also share some of your concerns even though they were presented 'cheek in mouth' the underlying fear is real. I think the release statement is not very clear and I'm not sure if Northwyn or Sunchaser management could come after us in the future - just not Northmont? The other thing that really concerns me is MG makes his own ''rules''. I mistakenly send the wrong document with my payment and so I emailed him and said I would send the right one. He wants it by tomorrow - not going to happen no matter what I do. I brought to his attention that Clause 9 in the agreement that say the document can be executed by email. In fact in can be executed by email by everyone on separate forms and in different places and when all the forms are together then it's collectively one document. At least that's how I read it. He insists he must have the form with original signatures. So here's my concern - if that clause is not holding up and executable then are there others that are not worth the paper they are written on? Just thinkin....

Meant to say ''tongue in cheek'' - it's been a long day!!!

Stung

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont / Northwynd

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Anyone that has been held ransom for the Northmont TS payment looked into this site? www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/informant-leads-program.html. It happens to be a whistle blower program set up by the CRA for those wanting to report others that evade taxes - and you can remain anonymous. I would encourage all of us to send a small 'whistle' on the two that most need it. A nice little audit of the financial doings...
CRA conducted major raids Feb. 14, 2018 on those named in PANAMA PAPERS!!! Trending news story, guys. Looks like if I wasn't hit yesterday, and my name was in the Panama Papers, I would be in a cold sweat right now. CALGARY and Greater Toronto Area were targets!

torqued

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser

Can you help me put together a letter to USAFederal law enforcement regarding investigating this as a fraud money laundering scheme. You seem to have a very good understanding of their methods of extorting money from unsuspecting innocent people.

Spark1

Reaction score
Was Michael Geldert the bill collector for Northmont asking personal questions eg.,how much money do you have in the bank,do you own a house,do you have a mortgage, do you own land, RRSP, Tax free saving accounts etc. I thought I read a post stating that was one of the pages you had to fill out if you picked item#1. Michael Geldert should be ashamed of himself having all of us believe that he had Northmont at the table and they will have to pay this $25.4 million and this would bankrupted them. How can you look in the mirror after you were part of taking $millions off of clients that trusted him? This is so corrupt and I have never experienced any thing like this in over 70 years.

Appauled

Reaction score
Just a heads up that may or may not be relevant. I bought out in May 2017 and so far as I know a clean legal release from any liability. But I'm now getting phone calls from what is probably a scavenger hoping to horn in on the action. The call says that this is a serious time sensitive legal matter and that I have to return the call immediately to stop any further legal action against me. I don't return the calls because I don't want to open up communication with crooks, but if I did, I expect the message would be that they can stop any further action against me by sending them a sum of money. This wouldn't be Northmont, but possibly scavengers who have somehow got names of those who bought out. And of course it may not be tied to Northmont at all. But, a warning, and I'm wondering if anyone else has received similar calls.

IGNORE THIS CALL. That has nothing to do with this timeshare fiasco.
It sounds like the CRA Scam thats been going on for a few years. If you call back, they tell you CRA is owed money and if you don't pay the will commence legal action against you. Don't return the call and Ignore it.

Last edited:

Shake Down

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont/Sunchaser 92'
Can you help me put together a letter to USAFederal law enforcement regarding investigating this as a fraud money laundering scheme. You seem to have a very good understanding of their methods of extorting money from unsuspecting innocent people.

Its a long shot, anyone know if the corporate structure of companies they own are in some way connected to US security regulations/publicly traded even if they were Canadian and cross listed to US markets?
The (SOX) act or Sarbanes-Oxley Act may be something to look into. US Congress passed this act back in 2002 The (SOX ACT) is designed to protect investors from the possibility of fraudulent accounting activities by corporations. The SOX Act mandated strict reforms to improve financial
disclosures from corporations and prevent accounting fraud.
Section 802 of the Act contains the three rules that affect record keeping. The first deals with destruction and falsification of records. The second strictly defines the retention period for storing records. The third rule outlines the specific types of business records that need to be stored, which includes electronic communications. This new Act had a lot to do with the ENRON and WorldCom scandals.

torqued

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
So was Collin knight the original builder/developer of Fairmont?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
CRA conducted major raids Feb. 14, 2018 on those named in PANAMA PAPERS!!! Trending news story, guys. Looks like if I wasn't hit yesterday, and my name was in the Panama Papers, I would be in a cold sweat right now. CALGARY and Greater Toronto Area were targets!
So there are quite a few articles this morning about the Panama Papers but unfortunately this specific Sunchaser company no longer files taxes so basically no longer exists.

Companies like this are essentially shell companies and as we know assets and money moves from one to another sometimes with and sometimes without the all the assets.

The unfortunate part is gets difficult to track assets when changes occur through shells, geographical locations, and time so this probably will not help us unless someone can show how everything is linked together.

News Article
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...s-raids-in-the-gta-calgary-and-vancouver.html

Panama Paper Information – searchable website
https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/101722595

Sunchaser Resort Inc.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=6181147

Sunchaser Vacation Club Inc.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/Cor...1518710474804&crpNm=sunchaser&crpNmbr=&bsNmbr=