• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gifted Timeshare...Worth It?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Since your Aunt has owned this timeshare for 30 years, ask her where she was able to exchange and how often did she just stay at her home resort. You could also contact the resort and see if her timeshare was a Right to Use or a fixed deeded week. Find out their policy on taking back the week. If she has a RTU contract, it might be ready to expire and she can just walk away.
These are things you need to know before taking over her timeshare.
Silentg

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
All I'm going to offer to the OP is that accepting this ownership only with the intent (it's just a hope, really) to "trade" with it might very well be a big mistake and, with no disrespect intended, essentially a fool's errand (IMnsHO). If it doesn't have good trade value, then you are basically guaranteed to have time consuming disappointment and frustration. You can't ever get gold bars in exchange for iron pipe, if you'll forgive the metaphor.

Also, although the maintenance fees are apparently quite low, they are also eternal (until / unless you find a willing new recipient or give it up to foreclosure). Unless you actually want to go there for that May week, I'd think long and hard before voluntarily becoming the new owner of record.

On the plus side, Larry Bird is one of my favorite basketball players of all time and maybe you'd bump into him sometime in French Lick! :D

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep learning. If your aunt leaves it to you in her will, you can DECLINE that portion of the inheritance when she passes on.

Is your aunt still going to the timeshare? If so, you might want to visit a few days with her on her next trip. It will give you some insight into WHAT she enjoys about the vacation stay or if the place appeals to you & your family. YOU need to LIKE it.

I bought fixed week timeshares in the winter in South Florida very near the beach. Sun and warmth in the winter for my aging body and bones. Just got back last week from a short stay .. it is nice to go to the same area as I know the eating places, the great local sports bar, the "lay of the land", know the public bus routes (rental cars for single person costs ad up fast), etc.

TRIP REPORT from my solo trip to South Florida in early February (aka last week)
:
I arrived, took the city bus from the airport terminal & transferred to the 2nd bus, got to the resort and got settled into my unit. Walked less than a block to a great sports bar, ordered a hamburger, drank 2 beers and inquired about Super Bowl seats (was politely told ... like no way even in my dreams as being possible). Did the Super Bowl at the resort's Tiki bar by the pool... grill hot dogs and COLD beers. Walk to a Thai restrauant another night (always excellant food with the owner sitting nearby about the same distance walking as the sports bar) .. under 5 minute walk. Another dinner out, was a Mexican sitdown restraunt less than a 5 minute walk. a 4th day's meals were found by taking the county bus 10 miles north of where I was stay to visit my 2 other resorts I stay at during the winters... eating food at the one of the resort's Tiki bars.. Took the county bus back to the airport .. with one change of the bus ($1 per bus). I brought instant oatmeal with me for breakfasts. Lunches were resorts' Tiki bar food. Dinners at different places every night with waiter service.

I had available a 7-11 store right out the back door of my resort (did not use). I did not hit the local sitdown Italian dining place .. it was almost full when I walked by and went next door to the Mexican dining. A 15 minute walk from the resort is the large and upscale, Galleria Mall in Ft Lauderdale ... 4 nicer upscale lunch and dining places with exterior entrances for access when the mall is closed.

I enjoyed my vacation stay. Pool, sun, warm weather, good eating, some beer, good bed plus a fine Super Bowl time at the TIKI bar ... my team won; it was a great game. And yes, there were other people who were in the pool bar area, glued to every minute of game action.

NOW, after arriving back at Philadelphia airport on Thursday evening ... getting home was a bit difficult. My regular ride cancelled on me the day before. Seems he had some parade to attend. No shared van services to NJ; a few cabs only. Cost me $55 to get home plus tip. Good thing I was going only 10 miles and south of PHL while heading away from Philadelphia .. else I would have change flights and stayed a few more days in Florida. There was this BIG STREET party going on in Philadelphia by the Art Museum... over 1,000,000 attendees.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We enjoyed staying at Fort Lauderdale Beach Club Resort too. We have been there twice and hope to go again. Our son lives in the area and it’s a nice place for get together and beach is so close !
Thanks for the review Linda!
Silentg

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Lee,

I played with the RCI Weeks 'deposit calculator' for French Lick Springs Villas (RCI Resort #1788). The maximum Trade Power Units (TPU) assigned by RCI are:
  • 1BR units, for most weeks in May 2019: 18 TPU
  • 2BR units, for most weeks in May 2019: 19 TPU
To gain the stated maximum TPU, you need to deposit your assigned week to RCI at least 9 months from check-in. TPU varies year to year based on relative demand.

For comparison, my 1BR August week at a Southern California Coastal resort fetches ~40 TPU. But my resort dues are much higher than those stated in post #1 for the "gift" timeshare.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I'm going to offer to the OP is that accepting this ownership only with the intent (it's just a hope, really) to "trade" with it might very well be a big mistake and, with no disrespect intended, essentially a fool's errand (IMnsHO). If it doesn't have good trade value, then you are basically guaranteed to have time consuming disappointment and frustration.

My thoughts entirely....

George

LeeF7788

Reaction score
When we owned on lake of the ozarks Missouri, we would deposit June or September and only received 17 or 18 tpus which did not have a lot of trading power

Thanks for this. Sounds like this one might not have much trading power either then.

LeeF7788

Reaction score
People like my family like going to our home resorts every year because they are like second homes to us with sentimental value and lot of memories made. Plus they are really nice resorts and allow us to relax. It is nice to have the familiarity of a place. Our adult son still visits us when we are at them also as he feels the same way. And, we never get bored because we always have some sightseeing to do throughout the states we own in. AND- we have gotten to know other owners who go each year the very same weeks we do, which is nice. When our son was younger, he made quite a few friends at the resort he would look forward to meeting up with each summer.

That said, we do sometimes go elsewhere IN ADDITION to our timeshares and that is when we rent a timeshare from another owner, or from Home Away or through a resort directly.

That sounds like a really nice reason to own a timeshare. I never thought about it like that, actually. I'm not sure French Lick would be somewhere we would want to keep going, but we could definitely look into somewhere else that isn't too far from home. Thanks for your advice!

LeeF7788

Reaction score
I definitely understand that. We all have different vacation preferences that should be considered when determining if a timeshare (and what timeshare) will meet our vacation wants and needs.

Like you, I have a couple of resorts that feel like second homes to me. They are located in areas I have been going to most of my life and greatly enjoy. They are drive-to locations (within 45 minutes to two hours from home). I may only get there every other year, but try to at least go once a year if I can fit them in between exploring other destinations. I never tire of returning, being familiar with what to expect, having the opportunity to be welcomed and visit with the familiar staff, visiting favorite area sites and restaurants, and just feeling relaxed in familiar surroundings. Fortunately, I have been able to have a mix of timeshares that both allow me to exchange to other destinations and to also revisit my favorites without having to exchange.

When owning one timeshare (especially a first timeshare), then it would be more practical to choose what has the best potential to meet current and upcoming vacation needs.

This seems to be underlying thought here...what do we need and want for a vacation? Asking ourselves that, really helps put this in perspective. It would be nice to have somewhere to go each year, but it'll have to be somewhere we both enjoy. It sounds like you have figured that out! Thanks so much for your time and advice, we greatly appreciate it.

LeeF7788

Reaction score
Oh, so hard to answer via written exchanges. I've read and re-read and each time had different interpretations based on where I figured your intended inflections.

So, let's talk of timeshare "spheres of influence." Put any timeshare name inside a circle ... and draw at least 2 more large rings around that circle.
  • The center circle, with the single timeshare, represents the strategy: I will always go back to my home resort. Maybe the same week or unit number for each visit or maybe not ... but always the same resort.
  • The circle just outside the resort represents the resort's management company or developer, if the developer is still involved with the property. Perhaps the management company, which cares for one or many resort locations, offers owners at each resort an inside-exchange privilege across their 'family' of resorts. Examples of this would be VRI, Grand Pacific Resorts, Wyndham, etc.
    The owner's strategy in this sphere: I can use my home resort ... or trade it w/in the Management's/Developer's family of affiliated properties. Cool.
  • The next circle out represents the 3rd party exchange companies such as RCI Weeks, RCI Points, Interval International ("II"), SFX, DAE and others. A single resort might be affiliated with multiple exchange companies for added flexibility, and possibly, added costs. Some exchange relationships found in that sphere can only be contracted by the resort's management (such as RCI Weeks, RCI Points and II) ... some may be initiated by the individual owner (particularly with the smaller, private exchange firms).

As for point-systems ... some are "pure points" (like Worldmark the Club) where owners hold 'points' but are not given a home resort or week. Their inner-most circle is a large pool of destinations created by a developer specifically as a family of points-based destinations; the inner circle is "purpose built" for points. Others are points systems created by the management company (middle sphere) among their family of resorts. Yet others are point systems created by the exchange company (outer sphere). Gets confusing, quickly ... right? FWIW, no two point-system companies or levels use similar point values. Each is their own 'currency.' Examples:
  • A 1BR unit at Disney Vacation Club's Boardwalk Villas location (Orlando) in January is 200 DVC points.
  • A 1BR unit at Worldmark's Kingstown Reef location (Orlando) in January is 9000 WM credits.
  • A 1BR unit at Wyndham's Bonnet Creek location (Orlando) in January is 126000 Club Wyndham points.
I'm not overly familiar with French Lick Villas. It doesn't appear that their management company (the middle sphere) offers either a points-system or family of affiliated destinations for preferred owner exchanges. That may leave you two basic options, should you choose to accept this family gift:
  • Use the resort for its own features.
  • Exchange the interval through any affiliated exchange company (the outer sphere). You'll need to determine which exchange options are available for your resort and how strong is the [resort+week+unit type] inside that specific exchange system.
Just some light, fluffy research to keep you busy until the paperwork arrives, right? ;)

And Yes to what I put in bold from when quoting you. It is especially wise, before accepting a given timeshare, to comparison shop and see if you might do BETTER with a different location, different week, different system (either pure points, developer points, or exchange-system points), etc. Try every combination as you research before commitment. (Most recommend spending at least 6 months studying TUG before making any timeshare commitment.)

My apologies if I completely mis-read your question and intentions.

This is awesome! Thank you so much for explaining all that and taking the time to type it up. We cannot express how much we appreciate it. I'll make sure to show this to my wife and we'll have a chat about it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look up the villa itself as well. Wow! Thank you!

Yes, this definitely isn't a decision we wanted to make lightly. We'll continue doing research and coming here for advice. You are all so nice!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

LeeF7788

Reaction score
Since your Aunt has owned this timeshare for 30 years, ask her where she was able to exchange and how often did she just stay at her home resort. You could also contact the resort and see if her timeshare was a Right to Use or a fixed deeded week. Find out their policy on taking back the week. If she has a RTU contract, it might be ready to expire and she can just walk away.
These are things you need to know before taking over her timeshare.
Silentg

Thank you! I didn't realize there were different types of timeshares (Right to Use of fixed deeded week). She had said that she has gone a ton of places and has never had trouble exchanging. She's gone to Florida a lot, as well as other places around the United States. I don't know if she's ever gone overseas, and I'm not really sure about where's she has stayed exactly besides Florida. I'll try to find that out as well. My list of questions is growing! =)

LeeF7788

Reaction score
All I'm going to offer to the OP is that accepting this ownership only with the intent (it's just a hope, really) to "trade" with it might very well be a big mistake and, with no disrespect intended, essentially a fool's errand (IMnsHO). If it doesn't have good trade value, then you are basically guaranteed to have time consuming disappointment and frustration.

Also, although the maintenance fees are apparently quite low, they are also eternal (until / unless you find a willing new recipient or give it up to foreclosure). Unless you actually want to go there for that May week, I'd think long and hard before voluntarily becoming the new owner of record.

On the plus side, Larry Bird is one of my favorite basketball players of all time and maybe you'd bump into him sometime in French Lick! :D

We appreciate your honest opinion! That's exactly what we were looking for when we joined this site, so thank you!!!

LeeF7788

Reaction score
Keep learning. If your aunt leaves it to you in her will, you can DECLINE that portion of the inheritance when she passes on.

Is your aunt still going to the timeshare? If so, you might want to visit a few days with her on her next trip. It will give you some insight into WHAT she enjoys about the vacation stay or if the place appeals to you & your family. YOU need to LIKE it.

I bought fixed week timeshares in the winter in South Florida very near the beach. Sun and warmth in the winter for my aging body and bones. Just got back last week from a short stay .. it is nice to go to the same area as I know the eating places, the great local sports bar, the "lay of the land", know the public bus routes (rental cars for single person costs ad up fast), etc.

TRIP REPORT from my solo trip to South Florida in early February (aka last week)
:
I arrived, took the city bus from the airport terminal & transferred to the 2nd bus, got to the resort and got settled into my unit. Walked less than a block to a great sports bar, ordered a hamburger, drank 2 beers and inquired about Super Bowl seats (was politely told ... like no way even in my dreams as being possible). Did the Super Bowl at the resort's Tiki bar by the pool... grill hot dogs and COLD beers. Walk to a Thai restrauant another night (always excellant food with the owner sitting nearby about the same distance walking as the sports bar) .. under 5 minute walk. Another dinner out, was a Mexican sitdown restraunt less than a 5 minute walk. a 4th day's meals were found by taking the county bus 10 miles north of where I was stay to visit my 2 other resorts I stay at during the winters... eating food at the one of the resort's Tiki bars.. Took the county bus back to the airport .. with one change of the bus ($1 per bus). I brought instant oatmeal with me for breakfasts. Lunches were resorts' Tiki bar food. Dinners at different places every night with waiter service.

I had available a 7-11 store right out the back door of my resort (did not use). I did not hit the local sitdown Italian dining place .. it was almost full when I walked by and went next door to the Mexican dining. A 15 minute walk from the resort is the large and upscale, Galleria Mall in Ft Lauderdale ... 4 nicer upscale lunch and dining places with exterior entrances for access when the mall is closed.

I enjoyed my vacation stay. Pool, sun, warm weather, good eating, some beer, good bed plus a fine Super Bowl time at the TIKI bar ... my team won; it was a great game. And yes, there were other people who were in the pool bar area, glued to every minute of game action.

NOW, after arriving back at Philadelphia airport on Thursday evening ... getting home was a bit difficult. My regular ride cancelled on me the day before. Seems he had some parade to attend. No shared van services to NJ; a few cabs only. Cost me $55 to get home plus tip. Good thing I was going only 10 miles and south of PHL while heading away from Philadelphia .. else I would have change flights and stayed a few more days in Florida. There was this BIG STREET party going on in Philadelphia by the Art Museum... over 1,000,000 attendees.

Thanks for this! I enjoyed reading about your experience as well.

I was hoping to go with my wife down there with her this year, but it seems she isn't able to go (her aunt). Her aunt and uncle aren't able to travel anymore due to getting older and health issues. At this point, we were hoping to go down there and stay ourselves to try it out before making a decision. I know her aunt really loves the casino there, but that's about all I know.

LeeF7788

Reaction score
Lee,

I played with the RCI Weeks 'deposit calculator' for French Lick Springs Villas (RCI Resort #1788). The maximum Trade Power Units (TPU) assigned by RCI are:
  • 1BR units, for most weeks in May 2019: 18 TPU
  • 2BR units, for most weeks in May 2019: 19 TPU
To gain the stated maximum TPU, you need to deposit your assigned week to RCI at least 9 months from check-in. TPU varies year to year based on relative demand.

For comparison, my 1BR August week at a Southern California Coastal resort fetches ~40 TPU. But my resort dues are much higher than those stated in post #1 for the "gift" timeshare.

This is most helpful! Oh my! Thank you!

I cannot wait to share this with my wife.

If we were to take this, what's the earliest we could deposit our week? It sounds like depositing earlier gets us more TPU's but how do those translate into trading? Say, we wanted to trade for a resort in Colorado in the off season, would the be feasible?

Thank you so much for playing with the deposit calculator and letting us know. It is truly appreciated.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is most helpful! Oh my! Thank you!
You are most welcome. We are addicts ... this is what we do for fun ... :D

If we were to take this, what's the earliest we could deposit our week? It sounds like depositing earlier gets us more TPU's but how do those translate into trading? Say, we wanted to trade for a resort in Colorado in the off season, would the be feasible?

Thank you so much for playing with the deposit calculator and letting us know. It is truly appreciated.
Generally, the earliest you may deposit is 1 year from check-in. But this might require resort coordination, pre-payment of dues, etc.

Off-Season, Colorado? You might be OK. At present, there are at least 7 RCI "Gold Crown" (highest rated) CO locations available. Exchanging into them requires 8-27 TPU depending on the resort, week and room type. To you give you specifics on the two extremes:

Rams Horn Village Resort (#2327)
GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Estes Park, CO USA
Play Video
rci-website.png
Website Rams Horn Village Resort opens in a new window

113 Reviews

8 TPU + exchange fees books a 2BR unit (sleeps 6) for the week of Sat 17-Feb-2018 to Sat 24-Feb-2018
Note: this is a very last minute exchange! More typical TPU requirements for weeks through 2019 run 13-20 TPU for the 2BR unit.

Sandstone Creek Club (#5148)
GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Vail, CO USA
Play Video
rci-website.png
Website Sandstone Creek Club opens in a new window

54 Reviews
27 TPU + exchange fees books a 1BR unit (sleeps 4) for the week Sat 13-Apr-2019 to Sat 20-Apr-2019
This resort had summer 2018 weeks falling between 16-20 TPU.

Sorry for messy formatting ... copy/paste directly from RCI's site w/ only minor editing. (I'm feeling lazy and need to go feed horses!)

LeeF7788

Reaction score
You are most welcome. We are addicts ... this is what we do for fun ... :D

Generally, the earliest you may deposit is 1 year from check-in. But this might require resort coordination, pre-payment of dues, etc.

Off-Season, Colorado? You might be OK. At present, there are at least 7 RCI "Gold Crown" (highest rated) CO locations available. Exchanging into them requires 8-27 TPU depending on the resort, week and room type. To you give you specifics on the two extremes:

Rams Horn Village Resort (#2327)
GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Estes Park, CO USA
Play Video
rci-website.png
Website Rams Horn Village Resort opens in a new window

113 Reviews

8 TPU + exchange fees books a 2BR unit (sleeps 6) for the week of Sat 17-Feb-2018 to Sat 24-Feb-2018
Note: this is a very last minute exchange! More typical TPU requirements for weeks through 2019 run 13-20 TPU for the 2BR unit.

Sandstone Creek Club (#5148)
GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Vail, CO USA
Play Video
rci-website.png
Website Sandstone Creek Club opens in a new window

54 Reviews
27 TPU + exchange fees books a 1BR unit (sleeps 4) for the week Sat 13-Apr-2019 to Sat 20-Apr-2019
This resort had summer 2018 weeks falling between 16-20 TPU.

Sorry for messy formatting ... copy/paste directly from RCI's site w/ only minor editing. (I'm feeling lazy and need to go feed horses!)

Fantastic information! Thank you so much for doing this!

I think this really helps put things in perspective for us, in a way that we can understand it.

You are very kind!

Horses?! Awesome! Have a great day and thanks again!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
If you are members of RCI. They have times when they lower the exchange rate( they call it slashing) you can exchange into resorts some as low as 3 TPU. The lowest we ever got was 5.
But this means you can get more than one exchange for your aunt’s timeshare week. Also, you can combine TPUs to exchange into a higher TPU. For example if you get 18 TPU a year combine two years and get 36 TPU for a vacation. Just another thing to consider.
Silentg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, you can combine TPUs to exchange into a higher TPU. For example if you get 18 TPU a year combine two years and get 36 TPU for a vacation. Just another thing to consider.
For two annual maintenance fees. Yes, TPUs carry over for one year, and you can borrow from the upcoming year (as long as the MF & RCI membership is paid), but in Lee's case, that would be $996 in MF plus $199 in RCI membership + $250 in exchange fees. (imo) not such a great deal for one week's vacation.

Lee, If your eyes haven't glazed completely over, I think you oughtta pass on Auntie's gift unless you're just itching to go to French Lick over half of the Mays in the foreseeable future.

Jim

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think with timeshares it is best to keep it as simple as possible.
Y'know, I agree with this- and know you have a fixed week. I do have one in Points, and have gone all over the world using them, but honestly, the one I enjoy most is that 3rd week in July at Yellowstone.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Y'know, I agree with this- and know you have a fixed week. I do have one in Points, and have gone all over the world using them, but honestly, the one I enjoy most is that 3rd week in July at Yellowstone.

I have 3 fixed weeks (though one is actually an "attached" floater (but preassigned 20 years out by the resort - and we traveled all over the country with that one for many years).

No one ownership fits for every person. Lots of people like their points ownerships for sure.

I just personally wouldn't like having to book my own resort/unit/week every year one year in advance. I like just showing up. Not to mention having to be tied in with RCI or whatever exchange company with all the fees and rules.

I'm with you. That Yellowstone week must be a gem! My husband especially would love to have that if we lived out West. Our favorite national park is Yellowstone!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We own fixed weeks too. We have bought in places we like to stay, meaning if we didn’t exchange we would be happy to go to our own timeshares. But we enjoy going to different places too. Our RCI deposits are all planned until next year. We may just stay at our own resorts next year unless we get an exchange to a place we would like to try? Flexible schedule makes it easier. When we had to be on school and work schedule was difficult to get exchanges. But only DH and I traveling, and he can work from anywhere. Love timesharing!
Silentg