• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do Owners get a special price on points at a new resort?

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Is this true: Current Owners get a special price on points when a new resort opens? This is what I was told by the Disney sales rep on the phone today. I asked about the opening of the future Riviera Resort and he said that I would be smart to buy into DVC now with a small contract so that I can get special owner first pricing on Riviera. If this is true, would i have to be a direct owner or could i be a resale owner? Sorry for all the questions.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
DVC members always get the first chance to buy a new resort when sales begin, and usually at a little better price (for a brief time) than will be offered to the public. We are notified by email when sales open and of course it will have your Vacation Guide's name and phone number to call to add on! :D

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Does One have to be a direct purchase owner or could it be a resale member that would receive this offer also? Do you know?

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Is this true: Current Owners get a special price on points when a new resort opens? This is what I was told by the Disney sales rep on the phone today. I asked about the opening of the future Riviera Resort and he said that I would be smart to buy into DVC now with a small contract so that I can get special owner first pricing on Riviera. If this is true, would i have to be a direct owner or could i be a resale owner? Sorry for all the questions.

The offer is usually around $5.00 a point less then what the general public pays. I don't think Disney eliminated that perk for resale buyers.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Does One have to be a direct purchase owner or could it be a resale member that would receive this offer also? Do you know?
Historically DVD has not restricted the pre-sales pricing based on member's qualified status (direct/resale). But, given their present direction -- who knows what will happen going forward? {shrug?}

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Historically DVD has not restricted the pre-sales pricing based on member's qualified status (direct/resale). But, given their present direction -- who knows what will happen going forward? {shrug?}
I know! I had already decided to buy DVC and had been casually searching but now I feel pressure to buy direct. From all the prices that I'm seeing on resale, it's not really that much of a difference

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I know! I had already decided to buy DVC and had been casually searching but now I feel pressure to buy direct. From all the prices that I'm seeing on resale, it's not really that much of a difference
Resale is definitely cheaper. But multiple variances come into play like amount of points purchasing and resort you are buying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Which DVC resort are you thinking of buying? I think there is a big price difference between resale and direct if you are buying larger contracts. For small contracts, it is better to buy direct.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the purpose of ROFR and all the hype, to get you to buy direct. I wouldn't rush in due to the price increase if you're not ready to buy otherwise. The savings isn't near the risk of making a bad decision.