• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Min. 75 pt direct for Perks

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of 2/25/2018, the minimum points direct needed for the perks has been changed to 75.

If anyone is on the fence, now is the time to purchase.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
As of 2/25/2018, the minimum points direct needed for the perks has been changed to 75.

If anyone is on the fence, now is the time to purchase.
Availability at the different resorts is very limited other than copper Creek.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I bought 100 direct Grand Floridian points, 30 direct Poly points and 40 direct Animal Kingdom points at the end of the year before DVC started making all these changes. I also have resale points at Aulani and Grand Cal. I am happy I bought direct when I did. It seems like now what I bought direct would not be an option due to lack of availability and the small contract sizes. Plus the direct prices have gone up so much that the price I paid for direct points as well as resale points now seem cheap!

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Can one buy their intital direct contract as low as 25?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Can one buy their intital direct contract as low as 25?
I've not heard of DVD (the Developer) selling a 25-point direct contract as a first entry to DVC. However, I have heard of 50-point contracts going through as first entry ... which still blows me away as the initial buy-in started at 230 (?) points when we first considered DVC. Our minimum buy-in was 150-points when we finally pulled the trigger early 2004.

Historically, the 25-point contracts were the minimum add-on contract sold to existing members willing to pay cash. A 50-point add-on minimum was required if you wished developer financing. However, minimums and how they are enforced has been moving target in recent years ... so I could be wrong.

The popular strategy employed since spring 2016 was 2-part play:
  • Buy your first DVC contract via Resale; no perks come with this contract. A resale contract could be as little as 25-points.
  • Buy a 25-point DVC contract direct as an add-on (same use-year but not necessarily same resort) to gain the perks. This was your least-expensive route to 'perk eligible.'

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Ok, I just called. Meant to buy last week when we were there but ran out of time. Min. Is 50. As the OP stated, nows the time to get Locked in before changes are implemented on the 25th. Uggg I hate to feel pressured but it was something we were considering anyway.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Min. Is 50.

True until the 25th, with exception of Copper Creek. It's a 75 point minimum master contract there, even today. CCVC has a minimum of 50 point member add-on as well. I look for DVD to make this the standard going forward.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
True until the 25th, with exception of Copper Creek. It's a 75 point minimum master contract there, even today. CCVC has a minimum of 50 point member add-on as well. I look for DVD to make this the standard going forward.
Correct

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought 100 direct Grand Floridian points, 30 direct Poly points and 40 direct Animal Kingdom points at the end of the year before DVC started making all these changes. I also have resale points at Aulani and Grand Cal. I am happy I bought direct when I did. It seems like now what I bought direct would not be an option due to lack of availability and the small contract sizes. Plus the direct prices have gone up so much that the price I paid for direct points as well as resale points now seem cheap!
You got a Grand Floridian direct? I thought they no longer sold GF? I would really love to own there :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You got a Grand Floridian direct? I thought they no longer sold GF? I would really love to own there :)
All resorts are available direct from time to time but not consistently including VGF & VGC.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 90 point AKV contract brought BEFORE resale ownership was 'a tainted ownership'. Enough to do a decent stay every 3 years or less plus get a discount on the Annual Pass ... I can stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but I have to admit to being totally spoiled with the DVC onsite bennies (EMH, bus transportation to the parks, free airport transfers).

Would I buy MORE DVC points? Not likely. I can get reservations in lower (when school is in session) seasons for a way bigger discounts via my VIP Wyndham membership. And when I retire, I won't need a rental car or free transfers from the airport.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Yes and I got it within a week of asking. I did spend a lot of money at end of last year on 470 points with 6 contracts at 5 resorts (170 points direct and 300 points resale) so it gave me some clout with DVC, I think. I asked for 100 points and the best part was they sold me two contracts of 75 points and 25 points at Grand Floridian. Smaller contracts are worth more on the resale market, when/if I am ready to sell one day. Right now, Grand Floridian resale contracts are selling for as much as I paid for the two small direct contracts, due to recent price increases. I would advise that anyone thinking of buying do so before prices go up more. Disney and DVC are expanding and I expect prices for their new resorts will be even higher.