• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BajaPoint LOS CABOS conversion to VISTANA

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have three weeks at the former Grand Regina, now Baja Point, on the corridor between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas in Mexico, and have accepted VISTANA’s offer to allow my weeks into their system. I have so much to learn about Vistana and I believe TUG is going to be my go to source to maximize my ownership. I’d appreciate any and all pointers, explanations of the nuances of the Vistana system, and tips on what to do and what to avoid. It’s a beautiful resort, and it’s been a wild ride as an owner, and I’m going to appreciate being in the Vistana system.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can you provide details of their offer? What exactly do you get and how much did you have to pay? I thought the Grand Regina was a different property than the Los Cabo's Resort Villas (former Westin Hotel)?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Ok there were 3 separate Resorts that shared this area. As you view it from the Ocean from right to left they were Club Regina/RVC, Westin Hotel (gutted after Hurrican several years ago), and the Gran Regina. At different points in time in the past Club Regina and Gran Regina were in part managed/maintained by Westin; and, folks with Club Regina/RVC and Gran Regina were allowed to use the facilities at the Westin. There use to be some type of relationship between Club Regina/RVC and Gran Regina as friends that owned at Club Regina/RVC were offered dollar for dollar credit on their Club Regina/RVC if they traded into Gran Regina. We were staying with our friends at Club Regina/RVC and toured the Gran Regina with them.

Now 3 separate Resorts viewed from the Ocean right to left are Club Regina/RVC, Vistana/Westin (now a timeshare and not a Hotel), and Baja Point (formerly Gran Regina). Apparently there is now a relationship between Baja Point and the Vistana/Westin.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Be very careful with the offer - just because a property is MANAGED by Vistana/Starwood does not mean it is part of the Vistana network. We have seen this happen before.

You need to get in writing that it will be included in the Vistana Signature Experiences network, because Baja Point is NOT.

They may be inviting you to join a completely different group, which is not affiliated with Vistana.

Please note that Vistana and Starwood are now completely separate companies, and Starwood is owned by Marriott and does not manage the former Starwood timeshare group.

The Starwood timeshare management branch was bought out by ILG and became Vistana Signature Experiences.

The Starwood hotel management branch was bought out by Marriott, who also own the "Starwood" brand, now.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
^^^^ THIS THIS THIS ^^^^

People have fell into this trap before - Dawn Beach Resort...

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd start with the stickies at the top of the forum - this one first:

Vistana/Starwood FAQ: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

Vistana is calling the resort: THE WESTIN LOS CABOS RESORT VILLAS & SPA

This is strange, because there is also a webpage for the Baja Point: http://www.bajapointloscabos.com
The WESTIN LOS CABOS resort is no longer a hotel. It has been totally renovated as a time share resort in the Westin family of resorts. BAJA Point LOS CABOS is the much smaller former Grand REGINA. Vistana has opened a window for Grand Regina owners to move their ownership into the Vistana system at no cost. The first year of membership will be 2019. BAJA Point will be our home resort for our weeks. We will be able to trade within the Vistana system and receive options for use in SPG hotels. This is still very confusing to me. I’d better extend my membership in TUG to stay informed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have this offer in writing? If so can you scan it and post a link? This just doesn't sound right.

I suspect that Baja Point is going to be managed by Vistana or Starwood/Marriott, but will not be a part of the Vistana Signature Experience Network.

It can be a Westin - and still not be part of the Vistana Signature Experience Network.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
^^^^ THIS THIS THIS ^^^^
People have fell into this trap before - Dawn Beach Resort...

Exactly what I was thinking...

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I apologize to all who might have read my post. I may have jumped too soon. No I don’t have anything in writing or anything to scan. In fact, as the Moderator of the Vistana board at TUG, maybe you can delete this discussion. I’d be pleased if you could do so.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We don't usually delete posts in a case like this, and it might be helpful to someone else, so I'd really appreciate it if you would come back and share what you learn. I'm sure we will get more questions about this, so we'd really appreciate your help.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ok there were 3 separate Resorts that shared this area. As you view it from the Ocean from right to left they were Club Regina/RVC, Westin Hotel (gutted after Hurrican several years ago), and the Gran Regina. At different points in time in the past Club Regina and Gran Regina were in part managed/maintained by Westin; and, folks with Club Regina/RVC and Gran Regina were allowed to use the facilities at the Westin. There use to be some type of relationship between Club Regina/RVC and Gran Regina as friends that owned at Club Regina/RVC were offered dollar for dollar credit on their Club Regina/RVC if they traded into Gran Regina. We were staying with our friends at Club Regina/RVC and toured the Gran Regina with them.

Now 3 separate Resorts viewed from the Ocean right to left are Club Regina/RVC, Vistana/Westin (now a timeshare and not a Hotel), and Baja Point (formerly Gran Regina). Apparently there is now a relationship between Baja Point and the Vistana/Westin.
It is my understanding that Vistana only owns the property "in the middle". They don't own or even manage the other two properties. Is it possible that these are managed by Marriott International (fka Starwood, the hotels)? Are those other properties hotels or timeshare?

St Maarten is a unique situation. There is a timeshare property there that is not affiliated with Westin or Vistana but is collocated with a Westin HOtel property. I suspect the property investors were affiliated with the same owners that own the Westin Dawn Beach Club hotel, but the investors in hotel properties are very often not the property management company (Marriott, Westin).

PS. The Renaissance Aruba is another situation all together. The hotel is managed by Marriott International. As is the timeshare property. However, the Renaissance Aruba timeshare is not in any way affiliated with Marriott Vacation Club, but is Managed by Marriott, the hotel operator.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Timeshare to the right is part of Raintree Vacation Club. The Timeshare to the left formally "Grand Regina" use to be independent. I am not sure of its status with its renaming.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit later after my initial post - I had to make sure things were all in place. Sometime in 2017, Vistana purchased a rather large number of Grand Regina ownership weeks. As a follow up, Vistana made an offer to the remaining existing owners - a limited time (now expired) for acceptance (and no shortcut to future membership) - A SPECIAL INVITATION JUST FOR YOU - ENJOY COMPLIMENTARY ENROLLMENT IN THE VISTANA SIGNATURE NETWORK. As an owner at Grand Regina, now there is a larger ownership base, more financial security, and I could include my Grand Regina weeks with my existing Vistana week and really benefit in the Vistana Signature Network. Actual usage of the Vistana System resorts does not begin until 2019, and improvements in the resort will be in place before everything works. For me I have to learn the nuances that everyone on this board knows so well. Baja Point is boutique-like, beautiful and special. And I hope most of the other owners of Grand Regina took this one time offer.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So do you now have anything in writing that you can share with details?

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The StarOption Chart is too complicated to print out, and my copy/paste skills are too limited, but a 3 Bedroom in Prime weeks is 257,700. A 2 Bedroom Lock-off in a prime week is 176,700. These are exceptional beautiful units.It's in the brochure that they sent out to existing owners as part of Vistana's offer to enjoy the complimentary enrollment in the Vistana Signature Network. And the offer is over. As they wrote, after this date, you will only be able to join the VSN through purchasing an additional qualifying Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI) from Vistana Signature Experiences. For me, it was an easy decision. I hipe the other owners took the offer.

Also written - once the units have addition upscale Westin features, Baja Point will be part of the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villa and Spas.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
The StarOption Chart is too complicated to print out, and my copy/paste skills are too limited, but a 3 Bedroom in Prime weeks is 257,700. A 2 Bedroom Lock-off in a prime week is 176,700. These are exceptional beautiful units.It's in the brochure that they sent out to existing owners as part of Vistana's offer to enjoy the complimentary enrollment in the Vistana Signature Network. And the offer is over. As they wrote, after this date, you will only be able to join the VSN through purchasing an additional qualifying Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI) from Vistana Signature Experiences. For me, it was an easy decision. I hipe the other owners took the offer.

Also written - once the units have addition upscale Westin features, Baja Point will be part of the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villa and Spas.

John, Congratulations! And perhaps good news for owners of the Adventuras program - as it would be a nice addition to the Cabos resorts.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I have the learn the terminology, trading values, reservation rules and whether Star Points are ever a favorable option. Usage doesn't begin until 2019 so I have lots of time.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just saw bajapoint added as a new resort in II with the Vistana labels. So hopefully us existing SVNs will be able to book it also.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are there possibly also 3BR villas at Baja Point? When you look at the floor plans for the Westin Los Cabos, the largest villa that they show is a 2BR and then the governor's suite (which is also only a 2BR). However, when you look on the StarOption chart, they show a 3BR Lock Off. Is it possible that the 3BR is at Baja Point. Or perhaps they just don't have all the floor plans shown.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
There may be confusion as to the naming of the sections in Mexico. What was formerly The Grand Regina, and will be Baja Point at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa., has two and three bedroom units. I am not sure of the number of three bedroom units, but they are limited in number, possibly 12 to 15 three bedroom units. I will try and get the numbers for you.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
There may be confusion as to the naming of the sections in Mexico. What was formerly The Grand Regina, and will be Baja Point at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa., has two and three bedroom units. I am not sure of the number of three bedroom units, but they are limited in number, possibly 12 to 15 three bedroom units. I will try and get the numbers for you.

Once officially in the Vistana network you should be able to go online and create an account to log in. From there I suggest you go to the 101 section that gives you much information. Also joining TUGS is the best $15 I ever spent as a multiple owner of Vistana properties. You will be very happy. Just wondering if the network will be the new Adventuras program? Best of luck.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Once officially in the Vistana network you should be able to go online and create an account to log in. From there I suggest you go to the 101 section that gives you much information. Also joining TUGS is the best $15 I ever spent as a multiple owner of Vistana properties. You will be very happy. Just wondering if the network will be the new Adventuras program? Best of luck.
I think those owners at Baja Point that elected in to VSN will be treated more like mandatory owners. Their weeks won't be in Aventuras. If they elect to use StarOptions, they can only do so at 8 months. They won't have the 12-8 month booking advantage in Aventuras. Would work like a weeks owner at Lagunamar.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
From a release of information sent to the owners of Grand Regina/Baja Point at Los Cabos, approximately 40 percent of the owners accepted the offer to enroll their units in VSN/Vistana. Along with the defaulted inventory units purchased by Vistana, Baja Point at Los Cabos is now on a MUCH STRONGER financial footing. I thought the offer for me was extremely beneficial and wonder why the enrollment was not higher. Certainly Vistana made a strong pitch to the owners.

But in reading the posts above, what is the "new Adventuras program?"

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned