• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Celine Dionne is a class act

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Even though I am Canadian, I have not really been a fan of Celine Dionne. Just not my style. But I heard that she handled a difficult situation with class and dignity. Here is the video

I am working with student teachers who will be going into the classroom soon to do a practicum. Soon we will be discussing classroom management and I know that many...even if they do not want to admit it...are anxious about their future time in the classroom. I want to try to prepare them the best way I can....not sugar coat teaching but not hide things from them. I will be showing them this video to remind them....that kindness is quite often....a wise choice.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Even though I am Canadian, I have not really been a fan of Celine Dionne. Just not my style. But I heard that she handled a difficult situation with class and dignity. Here is the video

I am working with student teachers who will be going into the classroom soon to do a practicum. Soon we will be discussing classroom management and I know that many...even if they do not want to admit it...are anxious about their future time in the classroom. I want to try to prepare them the best way I can....not sugar coat teaching but not hide things from them. I will be showing them this video to remind them....that kindness is quite often....a wise choice.
Seeing is believing. Enjoyed watching. Thanks for sharing. Kindness goes a long way.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone in the audience yelled, "Barbara, be a lady!"
She may have been drinking, have mental health issues, or just be coarse. Celine kept it dignified.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think given her background, Celine Dion could have become a tabloid train wreck. Instead, she has grown into a very compassionate person, (and is only kind of a tabloid traffic jam. ;) ) This video, while funny and more than a bit uncomfortable to watch, demonstrates just how much kindness she has for others. Most performers would have just stood back and let Security haul the fan off the stage. Props to Celine for handling it so well. I'm not so much a fan of her music as I am a fan of her approach to her songs, and her life. Nice job.

Dave

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

As someone who is in the classroom, I'm not sure I see the connection between the video and what you are hoping to achieve here. Might you explain this point a bit more?

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the scariest things a teacher goes through in a classroom is someone who is challenging you with inappropriate behavior. Celine Dion had a person who was acting in a very inappropriate way.

In a classroom, a teacher is often alone (except for other students who may be enabling their friend) and there may be a student who is defiant, belligerent and yes, sometimes violent. I just want my student teachers to know that their OWN behavior can go a long way towards diffusing the situation. When she stays calm, the person's behavior is also settled. That can be a challenge for beginning teachers who often think they have to be tough, to show they are in control

Celine could have easily let security take charge and have the woman dragged away....the woman's actions could have been violent...screaming, hitting etc. Instead, the situation was handled quietly and positively.

I really commend Celine Dion for her kindness towards that woman.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
"spirits said:
I am working with student teachers who will be going into the classroom soon to do a practicum. Soon we will be discussing classroom management and I know that many...even if they do not want to admit it...are anxious about their future time in the classroom. I want to try to prepare them the best way I can....not sugar coat teaching but not hide things from them.
I will be showing them this video to remind them....that kindness is quite often....a wise choice."

As someone who is in the classroom, I'm not sure I see the connection between the video and what you are hoping to achieve here. Might you explain this point a bit more?

The poster's ("spirits") last sentence sums it up quite well, and no explanation is necessary. There's a strong connection that you must be missing.
Celine made a wise choice out of kindness, and that lesson is self-evident.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Someone in the audience yelled, "Barbara, be a lady!"
She may have been drinking, have mental health issues, or just be coarse. Celine kept it dignified.
Ok, Celine Dion tried to handle this woman with kid gloves, even though she must have been frightened. When was this? I’m surprised they let the woman stay for the show

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I think given her background, Celine Dion could have become a tabloid train wreck. Instead, she has grown into a very compassionate person, (and is only kind of a tabloid traffic jam. ;) ) This video, while funny and more than a bit uncomfortable to watch, demonstrates just how much kindness she has for others. Most performers would have just stood back and let Security haul the fan off the stage. Props to Celine for handling it so well. I'm not so much a fan of her music as I am a fan of her approach to her songs, and her life. Nice job.
Dave

Agree.

My wife and I saw Celine in Charlotte, NC about 25 years ago and she was beyond amazing, standing room only.
I get emotional when I recall that night. Our seats were luckily very close to the stage.
I was not really familiar with all her songs, some I'd never heard.
Her voice, in person, however, sent chills through me all night long, but "seeing her heart" is what truly did it for me.

The audience was totally captivated start to finish, and you could hear a pin drop in between songs.
People were silently bringing roses to the stage every few minutes during the concert and laying them down
on the stage and returning to their seats as she sang.

At one point, in the middle of a song, a little girl approached the stage
(stage was in middle of a sports arena, and above level of floor, like a boxing event is)
to offer a single long-stemmed red rose, probably planning to lay it down and return to her seat like the others.
She had to stand on her tip-toes to reach up.

Celine's eye caught her.

She stopped singing, just stopped the concert dead in its tracks.
Her arm with the microphone in hand suddenly went limp and dropped down to her side.

TOTAL SILENCE for at least 5 seconds.

She motioned, then called the little girl back to the stage and immediately laid down the microphone
on the stage floor, and asked for the little girl to be boosted up onto the stage, with help from the ushers.

Celine then bent over, sat down next to the little girl, both of their legs dangling over the side,
and kissed her on her hand to thank her for the rose. As they looked into each other's eyes,
they both smiled and chatted for at least 10 minutes, with the crowd listening in via the microphone.
The little girl's answers to Celine's sweet questions brought gasps,
and Celine told the little girl to ask questions too. She did. There was laughter at times.

As quickly as it happened, it ended. The little girl was helped down,
and ran back to her seat. Very emotional.

That was one of the most touching 10 minutes I've ever witnessed in my life. Most everyone cried.
The whole episode transcended KINDNESS itself. It was sort of difficult restarting the concert.

Celine has had a very tough and troubling life at times, even tragic, yet she has always risen above it and opened her heart,
even at the expense of sharing her suffering. I see now that she is forever full of love and happiness even when she doesn't receive it.

Her music is incredibly sublime. The range of her voice doesn't even seem human!
In person, the long-held high notes will take you heavenward! (Her Christmas music is as good as it gets, too.)

I never appreciated her music before that performance, but I walked out of there a fan forever.
Canada is lucky to claim her!!!!
She's a powerful lady in all she does, and along the journey she has left this world
a better place with her manifest selflessness. She is one of my heroines.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
One of the scariest things a teacher goes through in a classroom is someone who is challenging you with inappropriate behavior. Celine Dion had a person who was acting in a very inappropriate way.

In a classroom, a teacher is often alone (except for other students who may be enabling their friend) and there may be a student who is defiant, belligerent and yes, sometimes violent. I just want my student teachers to know that their OWN behavior can go a long way towards diffusing the situation. When she stays calm, the person's behavior is also settled. That can be a challenge for beginning teachers who often think they have to be tough, to show they are in control

Celine could have easily let security take charge and have the woman dragged away....the woman's actions could have been violent...screaming, hitting etc. Instead, the situation was handled quietly and positively.

I really commend Celine Dion for her kindness towards that woman.

First of all, thank you for the additional insight. I do agree with the point you make (bolded) as the teacher's response to actions often influences the next action on the part of the student.

Where we differ is this - in no way, shape or form can a teacher allow an inappropriate behavior to continue - and that's one outcome of Dion's actions here. When student(s) cross the line of appropriate behavior in a class, the consequences need to be clear and swift - otherwise you're opening the flood gates and inviting similar behavior from others.

Again, I perceive that we agree that the calmness of Dion is a positive take away from this. However, the permissiveness of Dion to play a part in allowing the behavior to continue is not an example I would want teachers to copy in their classrooms.

Regardless of whether we agree, disagree or we have areas of both, I salute you for placing situations like this in front of your students for thought and consideration.

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
bbodb1 I am really enjoying this conversation with a fellow educator. Bad behavior comes in many shapes and sizes (; One day, many years ago, I walked into a classroom and one of my female students was sitting inappropriately on top of her desk....I asked her to leave my class and when I went out to talk to her, the first thing she said was Mrs.......I just want to say I really like you. Well, that took the breath out of me....that positive comment and we had a great discussion on how she could get back into the classroom with both of us happy with the outcome. A win win.
That little grade 7 student taught me a lesson that I never forgot.....always start a conversation with something positive. When a student is misbehaving, I always start my correction with a positive and then negotiate their behavior so it becomes more appropriate.
I too, strongly agree that my response to bad behavior needs to be immediate.....but I always try to make my first action a positive one. That decision has saved me more heartache than my original teacher responses ever did.
Thanks for the great conversation

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for such great reminders that compassion and kindness go a long way in dealing with all kinds of difficult situations.

I've never been a fan of Celine Dion's music, but as a fellow Canadian, I know she is thought of as a national treasure. Now, after seeing this posted video and reading jme's concert description, I might just have to give her music a chance when next in Las Vegas.

For those who haven't bothered to watch the video, the (drunk) concertgoer gets up on stage to ask fellow concertgoers to become bone marrow donors, as her son recently underwent a bone marrow transplant surgery. She gets a bit randy with Celine and then Celine bridges the gap by saying, "You know what, we got something in common, babies that we love." She then takes over from her security detail in getting the woman safely off the stage.

When Celine retires from her music career, she can give classes on customer service training. Imagine if all celebrities treated their fan base that way!