• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No Star Options For You!

blondietink

Reaction score
What if they had made their son a joint owner of their week instead of outright transferring it to him? Then a year or two down the road, take their names off leaving only the son as owner.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
But kcgriffin's son is not getting the SOs for 2018 either. It feels like Vistana is cheating owners out of the SOs if they can. If kcgriffin has other VSN timeshare/membership, then the 2017 SOs could have been deposited by Vistana if Vistana really wants to.
True, but banked StarOptions never transfer anyway. So they would belong to the prior owner. The problem with Vistana is that if you own no other weeks, they simply close your VSN account when you sell your only week leaving you with nothing. If you have other weeks and bank weeks before you sell a week, you get to keep the banked weeks. In the end, no account, no points in this case. It isn't right, but it seems to be how Vistana handles things.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True, but banked StarOptions never transfer anyway. So they would belong to the prior owner. The problem with Vistana is that if you own no other weeks, they simply close your VSN account when you sell your only week leaving you with nothing. If you have other weeks and bank weeks before you sell a week, you get to keep the banked weeks. In the end, no account, no points in this case. It isn't right, but it seems to be how Vistana handles things.
Yes, agree that this would be the case if there is not other timeshare sitting in the VSN account.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What if they had made their son a joint owner of their week instead of outright transferring it to him? Then a year or two down the road, take their names off leaving only the son as owner.
Yes... but I think Vistana is quick to say, nope, transfer is done, you lost your SOs, have a good day.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
What would’ve happened if they put them in Interval? At least then they wouldn’t had been a total lost. I would be asking Vistana to give them back and deposit into II as a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What would’ve happened if they put them in Interval? At least then they wouldn’t had been a total lost. I would be asking Vistana to give them back and deposit into II as a compromise.

I have not been following but I think there is nothing to deposit since the resort is shutdown last year.... For 2018, the son should get the SOs though since it has now been transferred to him.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

The problem is that the deposit would go in to the corporate VSN II account. That too would close once one is no longer an owner or in VSN.

suzanna945

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
An update to my original post at the beginning of this thread: the lawyer who handled our purchase of the timeshare contacted Vistana about our first year of use being 2018, the fact that we paid the 2018 maintenance fees and taxes, and that we should have the Star Options to use this year. We still have not heard back from Vistana and our account still shows no Star Options for 2018. And the week that we want to book at the other resort for our vacation this year with those Star Options opens up in 2 days. Not sure what we should do now.

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
An update to my original post at the beginning of this thread: the lawyer who handled our purchase of the timeshare contacted Vistana about our first year of use being 2018, the fact that we paid the 2018 maintenance fees and taxes, and that we should have the Star Options to use this year. We still have not heard back from Vistana and our account still shows no Star Options for 2018. And the week that we want to book at the other resort for our vacation this year with those Star Options opens up in 2 days. Not sure what we should do now.

Denise has posted this on another thread. I would try her via every method possible.

The behaviors described in this thread seem to be another attack on the resales by Vistana.

Vistana has violated terms before (implementing a guest confirmation fee for home resort reservations.) When Tuggers brought this to Vistana's attention, they had to back down.

Everyone who has a contract or other documentation showing that the premier 1bdm. sleeps 5, should scan it and send it to:

Suzanne Clark, Vice President Owner Services at Vistana Signature Experiences:

Linked: https://www.linkedin.com/in/suzanne-clark-7786852/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/suzanne.clark.357

Vistana Email: suzanne.clark@vistana.com

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My guess is, that you probably won't be making the reservation you want, at least not yet. I wonder if perhaps the lawyer either didn't indicate on the paper work the first use year or listed it incorrectly?

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Deleted

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is exactly how StarOptions work. Let’s say you bought June 2018. Your first use month in your fixed unit is actually June 2019. Your StarOptions would be deposited in June 2018. From June 2018 - Nov 2018, you have 6 months to decide if you want to use your fixed unit/fixed week or release it and use the Starpoints instead. There are a lot more details than this but this is how it works in a nutshell. Who was your selling agent? Many TS agents do not understand the Hyatt system. I spoke to many who gave me wrong info, even those who claimed to be Hyatt experts.
So are you saying that StarOptions on a fixed week don't run on the calendar year but rather a year that is based on the month in which your fixed week is in? I was not aware of this. Do you own such a week with Vistana?

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
So are you saying that StarOptions on a fixed week don't run on the calendar year but rather a year that is based on the month in which your fixed week is in? I was not aware of this. Do you own such a week with Vistana?

Sorry I deleted that post. I posted in error. That was Hyatt, not Westin. You can see at the bottom I thought I was responding to a Hyatt post.

suzanna945

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
To follow up on my original post, we heard back from Vistana Consumer Relations today. They fixed the error and posted the Star Options on our account for this year.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
To follow up on my original post, we heard back from Vistana Consumer Relations today. They fixed the error and posted the Star Options on our account for this year.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice.

I like a Happy Ending :)

kcgriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood has reached out to me on my issue, I’ll post the outcome on this thread.

kcgriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood has reached out to me on my issue, I’ll post the outcome on this thread.
Here his the Starwood offer to us: You have until Friday February 9 to use the 2017 staroptions from the St. John closing. 176000 staroptions. We will be booking something, but I’m not very happy with their response, it is anything but “customer friendly”. We bought from the developer when the resort first opened after the previous hurricane (it use to be the Hyatt Virgin Grand) paid a small fortune (30K) but always loved the resort and the island. I think Starwood is really screwing us but I don’t want to start legal action, just be careful in your dealings with them. Marriott seems to be much more focused on the customer than Starwood.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
@rickandcindy23 was reporting a similar problem regarding getting first usage in this thread. Though hers was with a voluntary resort and it wasn't transferred in to their name yet. I sure hope this isn't a new trend or policy with Vistana as she mentioned in that thread. We picked up another mandatory week that is supposed to come with 2018 usage, fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

Yes, I was denied use of my 7 nights for a prime deeded week at SBP (voluntary). It was free use (I didn't pay the fees for 2017). I didn't want the SO's, just the use, and Vistana would not let me have the use. It was there, and one gal almost let me book something, then hesitated and said, "You don't have use for 2017."

I was not expecting that because the seller said use came with it, and then in their contract it said any use mentioned in the ad doesn't not necessarily guarantee use. So they got by with it. Sumday Vacations is not a company I would use again, after the delays and contract small print. Okay, so it wasn't small print, but I bid on an auction, paid in full, then got the contract after, and the contract basically took away whatever benefits I thought I had. I am still bitter. Can you tell?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA