• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What if Occupancy of Room doesn't Match your Reservation?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Just checked in to Trade Winds here in Rockland, Maine. While not on par with Samoset, the timeshare rooms are nice enough. We've been here twice before in a 2BR sleeps 8 unit. I got an Extra Vacation Week for a 1 BR sleeps 6 unit. Checked in, and we only have a king bed and a sleeper sofa. That makes places to sleep for FOUR by my count. When I showed my reservation, the desk clerk said that they don't have any 1 Br's that sleep 6, and that it was RCI's error. Huh. I see lots of 1 BR sleeps 6 units in the available inventory from RCI.

For this trip, it's just the twins and myself, so we can make it work, though they are NOT happy about having to sleep on the sofa bed. (I was hoping the bedroom had 2 beds, or maybe there was a Murphy and a sleeper.)

I'm thinking that I'll call RCI and let them know, so that maybe they can make a change and no one else has that same thing happen. In all the years I've exchanged, I've not run in to this particular issue. Guess there's a first time for everything!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - I would have expected 6 beds myself. Typical new England resort for this scenario is usually a loft or day room that they can't call a bedroom since it doesn't have a door.

I would call RCI and see if they have a 2BR available and request they give it to you.

Thank goodness you don't have the whole "crew" with you!!!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just checked in to Trade Winds here in Rockland, Maine. While not on par with Samoset, the timeshare rooms are nice enough. We've been here twice before in a 2BR sleeps 8 unit. I got an Extra Vacation Week for a 1 BR sleeps 6 unit. Checked in, and we only have a king bed and a sleeper sofa. That makes places to sleep for FOUR by my count. When I showed my reservation, the desk clerk said that they don't have any 1 Br's that sleep 6, and that it was RCI's error. Huh. I see lots of 1 BR sleeps 6 units in the available inventory from RCI.

For this trip, it's just the twins and myself, so we can make it work, though they are NOT happy about having to sleep on the sofa bed. (I was hoping the bedroom had 2 beds, or maybe there was a Murphy and a sleeper.)

I'm thinking that I'll call RCI and let them know, so that maybe they can make a change and no one else has that same thing happen. In all the years I've exchanged, I've not run in to this particular issue. Guess there's a first time for everything!
Call RCI now, don’t wait. Maybe there is a 2 bedroom now available or ask for them to do something for you for the inconvenience.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd call tonight, but we're not moving at this point. 8pm, and the twinners are in dreamland. All the schlepping stuff in wore them out! We're only in the area for 3 nights. It's more just a "keep it from happening again" sort of thing for me. I will most definitely not reserve another "sleeps 6" unit here. Too bad...the room is newly redone and quite nice.

mdurette...we had a 1 BR sleeps 6 over at Suites at Attitash....king in the bedroom, a murphy and a sleeper. Worked great.

Ah, well. Live and learn. If that's the worst thing that happens this trip, I'll be all set!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I had a similar situation in NE with a II reservation. I had a summer 1 BR with an occupancy of 8 booked for about 6 months- and yes the resort had some kind of 1 BR lock off units converted from two or three hotel units that slept 8. I had both a mailed hard copy and a saved email copy. Then I received another unsolicited confirmation in the mail (about 4 months before check in) and it was for a 1 BR sleeps 4. I immediately looked in the II account and requested another confirmation and the confirmation that came also stated sleeps 4. I then called II and they tried to convince me that there were no changes and it always said sleeps 4. I sent copies of the original confirmation. They told me there was nothing they could do. I have 5 and this wouldn't work for us so after escalating to a supervisor, they did allow me to cancel without a fee and let me start an ongoing search- which never matched for summer New England but I at least got something that worked for us.

I think the moral of these stories is if you are confirmed into a 1 BR that sleeps more than 4 and you need it to sleep more than 4, you should confirm with the resort sooner rather than later that there is bedding for the additional persons.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting, tschwa2. I've confirmed into 1 BR sleeps 8 loads of times. Actually have one confirmed for next year's Feb break at Attitash Mountain Resort. (Yes...I'll call to be sure I'm good!) It's usually a hotel (Like one of the Grand Summits here in New England) and is a studio connected to a hotel room. Works out fine. We're really not picky people...just need a place to lay our head. :) If we were all here, then I'd have raised heck to get the 2 BR units that I know they have, or another 1 BR. But I had one twin suffering from car sickness, another one having teen drama about heaven knows what...probably some way I'm ruining her life at the ripe old age of 14.....some fights aren't worth it at the time.

We've all had a good night's sleep, Edward's tummy is better judging from the amount of rummaging he's doing in the kitchen, and I've learned my lesson about 1 BR's here. We're good! I'll do a review on RCI, here, and trip advisor when we leave so that others will know the score...and hopefully I can get RCI to do some digging to change the room occupancies on their end.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Always something.....But I know- missyrcrews- you will make lemonade out of lemons! It's all good!

I would definitely call RCI. I have never called a resort when I have done an exchange or rented to make sure the confirmation was correct, though I have called just to confirm the reservation a month or so before check in. I always felt if I had a confirmation I was good to go! What's the point of a confirmation if not to CONFIRM what you booked?

SMH.....

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Always something.....But I know- missyrcrews- you will make lemonade out of lemons! It's all good!

I would definitely call RCI. I have never called a resort when I have done an exchange or rented to make sure the confirmation was correct, though I have called just to confirm the reservation a month or so before check in. I always felt if I had a confirmation I was good to go! What's the point of a confirmation if not to CONFIRM what you booked?

SMH.....
Yes, I'm a "glass half full" kind of gal! I don't have another full day off after Monday (between both jobs) until Feb break. So, we will deal with things, and go on. On the up side...the 2 BR room that we've had twice before doesn't have a view. This one has a slider that opens out to a very nice view of the ocean...can see Rockland Breakwater Light through the fog and mist. Gorgeous!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I agree that you should call RCI.

We had that happen to us many years ago in Florida. I had booked a 2 bedroom 6/6 unit for the 5 of us. When we checked in there was a king in the master and a full/double (not even queen) in the 2nd bedroom. No pullout couch or murphy bed anywhere in the unit. We went back to the front desk with our RCI reservation paper and asked where the sleeping for 8 was. The clerk told us when they did a refurbishment they didn't get any pullout couches so now the 2 bedroom units were 4/4! I told her there were 5 of us and I needed a place for all 3 of our kids to sleep. She suggested that the 3 kids could share the king bed. Umm no! They were almost 13, 15 & 17 (2 boys & a girl) at the time.

I immediately called RCI and explained what the resort had done and that I had 3 big "kids" and we needed a unit that matched my reservation. The clerk was very helpful and brought in a supervisor without me even asking. Within 10 minutes RCI found us another unit at a different resort just down the road. They faxed the new location and we had no problems checking in. The new place was nicer, larger and in a better location than what I had booked.

~Diane

Cynic

Reaction score
Best advice on RCI check-in: do it as early as possible, and if you get an undesirable unit call them immediately if the resort can't help. RCI can and will either give you a different place or give you another week to use if they messed up.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
If you haven't stayed at a particular resort before and have more than 2 people it is always a good idea to call the resort. The information RCI has on their website about the resorts is sadly lacking in many cases. If anyone has reported an inaccuracy in the information and actually seen RCI do anything to update the information I would be interested in hearing about their experience.