• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Questions

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Our room has never been ready until almost check in time. Elite desk didn’t help that situation this last trip. They held our bags & we headed to the bar/restaurant, then to the grocery store. The desk is good about calling when the room is ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you elite? You didn't say. What I said is you MAY get in early if you are elite. Last time we checked in our room at around 1:30 PM. Very early. They were quite proud of themselves!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I stayed in Dec 16. I was able to get my unit at 10 am, we had a ridiculously early flight in. I had mentioned on my check in form that I would be arriving that early. I am not elite. Maybe just got lucky.:banana:

Excellent! We weren't' that early, but the elite check-in DOES pull some weight when they can. Like I said before, there might not be rooms available when you want them, but if you are elite and a room is ready - you will get it - as you just said. That has been our luck as well.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
PS - let me say that the room they have ready may not be what you want. Feel free to turn it down and request an alternative if you can wait it out.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The palapas on the beach are free and easier to get than the umbrellas by the pool in our experience.

Do you have to be at the beach by a certain time to get a good palapa?
Our first visit in a month!

Bierhund

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR (x2), SVV
A few years ago, when Lagunamar replaced the umbrellas at the pools, they moved the old ones down to the beach. In the picture below, the palapas are on the far right, the umbrellas are in the center. There are only eight palapas in each phase, but there are plenty of umbrellas. There is no charge for the umbrellas or palapas, but first come, first served. Most people spend their time at the pool, not on the beach, so it's not too difficult to get a good spot.

Attachments

• 20171205_124824[1].jpg
    20171205_124824[1].jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 81

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Are you elite? You didn't say. What I said is you MAY get in early if you are elite. Last time we checked in our room at around 1:30 PM. Very early. They were quite proud of themselves!

Yes, 4*. But our room is never ready before 3pm at best. We own Oceanside though, maybe that plays into it. Elite desk didn’t have a line and checkin was quick. They told us our room numbers, just wasn’t available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, when Lagunamar replaced the umbrellas at the pools, they moved the old ones down to the beach. In the picture below, the palapas are on the far right, the umbrellas are in the center. There are only eight palapas in each phase, but there are plenty of umbrellas. There is no charge for the umbrellas or palapas, but first come, first served. Most people spend their time at the pool, not on the beach, so it's not too difficult to get a good spot.

Thanks for the info. We have a travel beach umbrella that we usually bring to any beach locations. We are wondering if leaving the umbrella up while going swimming will be safe.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Definitely. But the waves there can be quite rough. Depending on what it's like at your visit, you may be able to get out at the break to a calmer part but don't expect to be swimming out there much. The water is beautiful and clear, the sand is gorgeous. The waves are just rough, usually red or yellow flags in front of the resort. I've been there in February and November. I'm not sure what January is like. But from what I've read /heard, it appears to be like that most of the time.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We were just there the last week of December and it was yellow and red flagged. Waves were about 7-8 feet and it was rough. The lifeguards were off their chairs watching people and whistling.

blondietink

Reaction score
We have been April/May and also in September/October. Calmer for the most part in the April/May months but still swim-able in September/October. Only been a few days on our multiple visits when we have seen it red flagged.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We have a travel beach umbrella that we usually bring to any beach locations. We are wondering if leaving the umbrella up while going swimming will be safe.

Where did you find such an umbrella? I have been looking for something like this for a long time.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's called a TelaBrella. We have used it several times and love it. Very sturdy. I believe it weighs around 6 lbs and fits in 1/4 of a standard check in bag.

We are wondering if leaving it up while we go in the water will be OK. I have never had anyone take anything yet here in the US but I'm not sure how secure the beach here is. We usually bring the umbrella, phone, bluetooth speaker, cooler etc.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
It's called a TelaBrella. We have used it several times and love it. Very sturdy. I believe it weighs around 6 lbs and fits in 1/4 of a standard check in bag.

We are wondering if leaving it up while we go in the water will be OK. I have never had anyone take anything yet here in the US but I'm not sure how secure the beach here is. We usually bring the umbrella, phone, bluetooth speaker, cooler etc.
I would treat it same as in the US. We felt very safe on the beach there but used the same precautions as in the US. My husband had his wallet stolen on a Hawaii trip, in our younger days even though he buried it under his beach stuff in Maui when we went to take a swim.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We just spent a week here for the first time, leaving tonight, and really enjoyed it. The resort is beautiful and the weather was very good this week.

We ate dinner at Duna twice and enjoyed the whole grain vegetarian pizza. Today we ate lunch at Viento, which is an outdoor venue by the pool. Both of us had hamburgers and steak fries and they were good as well.

We participated in a tour of Coba, Talum and Xel-Ha. Left at 7:20am and got back to the resort just before 8pm. We got the tour through our concierge and received a 45% discount plus 6,500 SPG points for going through an owners update (sales presentation.) The tour was outstanding and we highly recommend it.

Best regards.

Mike

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for the various answers and intel above!!

If you are just looking for some grocery basics, is Soriana OK or should we go down to Selecto? We'd be looking for pastires, fruit, eggs, bread, sandwich meats, etc.

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi all and thanks for the various answers and intel above!!

If you are just looking for some grocery basics, is Soriana OK or should we go down to Selecto? We'd be looking for pastires, fruit, eggs, bread, sandwich meats, etc.

Thanks!
Soriana is fine. They will also deliver for a small fee, which we found to be very handy.

blondietink

Reaction score
We have used Soriana with no problems. We go to Selecto sometimes also, but 2 visits have used only Soriana.

Reaction score
Do I understand correctly from posts about the Lagunamar, does the concierge contact guests in advance asking if there are any preferences they can prepare for or reservations they'd like made?

Also, should I be brushing up on my basic Spanish, or is English widely spoken on the resort and main shopping areas?

blondietink

Reaction score
The concierge services at Lagunamar are the BEST! They usually send a email a couple of weeks prior to your arrival so you would know which person to contact. English is spoken throughout the resort and in the main shopping areas so you should have no problem.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do I understand correctly from posts about the Lagunamar, does the concierge contact guests in advance asking if there are any preferences they can prepare for or reservations they'd like made?

Also, should I be brushing up on my basic Spanish, or is English widely spoken on the resort and main shopping areas?
They don't necessarily ask you about your preferences. Though you can tell them. They are more interested in selling you excursions and airport transportation.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Cancun, and although the weather was less than great, we had a wonderful time.

We were in a studio unit 184, so building 1 (View was great from our room). We had significant issues with the hot water supply. We had lots of trouble getting hot water. Morning one the water in the shower was so hot we could barely take a shower and it was difficult to hold a usable temp. The next four mornings and a couple evenings we couldn't get warm water for anything or it would take 5 minutes of running the hot water and then it would get hot. We even called building services. Anyone else have these issues?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Concierge services at Lagunamar are the best we have encountered anywhere, and we have stayed at many resorts and hotels. Emma, our personal Lagunamar concierge for the last 5 years or so, told us to be sure to let her know if we had any requests, particularly with regard to unit location. And yes, they do contact you...about 2 weeks or so before you arrive. While they are (I think) part of the sales staff (not resort staff), we have never encountered any kind of slates push from the concierge folks. They do have coupons/vouchers for restaurant discounts, etc., so be sure to ask.

dokken88

Reaction score
We just returned from Cancun, and although the weather was less than great, we had a wonderful time.

We were in a studio unit 184, so building 1 (View was great from our room). We had significant issues with the hot water supply. We had lots of trouble getting hot water. Morning one the water in the shower was so hot we could barely take a shower and it was difficult to hold a usable temp. The next four mornings and a couple evenings we couldn't get warm water for anything or it would take 5 minutes of running the hot water and then it would get hot. We even called building services. Anyone else have these issues?
Just got back Saturday. Building 500. Water would go scalding to freezing. Was in the shower dancing back and forth. A couple of days it was ok. I second the crappy weather☔. A ugly day on vacay is better than sunny day at work.