• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] New Westin Flex

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I really haven't paid much attention to the Flex programs. So my questions might be really dumb, but here goes. If they add WSJ to Flex would it only be weeks in the voluntary sections? Obviously Vistana owns some of the low season weeks in VGV. VGV is mostly fixed week fixed unit right? Vistana doesn't own too much high season VGV. I asked for a very specific week/unit and nothing was available during my update in May. Are the Hawaii weeks in Flex only at the voluntary resorts or are the mandatory resorts part of the flex deal? As for inventory at the rest of WSJ, with the $25/night environmental tax, a lot more low season weeks might show up. If the MF for the Westin Flex are already high, then add on the extra $175 to stay at WSJ, not so appealing.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I really haven't paid much attention to the Flex programs. So my questions might be really dumb, but here goes. If they add WSJ to Flex would it only be weeks in the voluntary sections? Obviously Vistana owns some of the low season weeks in VGV. VGV is mostly fixed week fixed unit right? Vistana doesn't own too much high season VGV. I asked for a very specific week/unit and nothing was available during my update in May. Are the Hawaii weeks in Flex only at the voluntary resorts or are the mandatory resorts part of the flex deal? As for inventory at the rest of WSJ, with the $25/night environmental tax, a lot more low season weeks might show up. If the MF for the Westin Flex are already high, then add on the extra $175 to stay at WSJ, not so appealing.
Two of the three resorts in Hawaii are mandatory. They have conveyed both mandatory and voluntary weeks to the Flex trust. They could do the same in WSJ. Once in the trust, Vistana grants the new owners access to the trust inventory from 12-8 months and then they can use VSN at 8 months.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I thought maybe the only Nanea and Princeville were in Flex from Hawaii. At least the fixed week fixed unit owners at WSJ are covered until the 10 month mark is WSJ gets thrown into the mix.

skibummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV x5 (Scottsdale)
WLR x3 (Cancun)
SVV-Bella x2 (Orlando)
WMH x2 (Palm Springs)
WNORVK (Maui)
Chairman’s Club
I think one of the main problems of the flex programs (Westin and Sheraton) is the resale value for the unknown ease of access to the unknown season of voluntary properties of what the Flex Trust actually owns (they could be comprised of mainly low season weeks, but sold as access to prime weeks that don't exist). Too many "unknowns" in the above sentence (pun intended).

An annual Sheraton Flex for 81,000 HomeOptions just sold on eBay this week for $1 (one dollar) with annual MFs of $1287 (high). It was likely sold from the developer for over $20,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHERATON-FLEX-81-000-H-O-ANNUAL-POINTS-TIMESHARE-FOR-SALE-/332502031115?
ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=S26u6q%252FvT21FrLbjhrBLH42DPRI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No thanks. I will take my resale mandatory resorts with StarOptions or buying a resale voluntary resort at a place I desire in the season I want to use vs. the "black box" of the various flex programs.

Caveat Emptor

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No thanks. I will take my resale mandatory resorts with StarOptions or buying a resale voluntary resort at a place I desire in the season I want to use vs. the "black box" of the various flex programs.

I think you nailed it. A mandatory resale can use SOs to book at all resorts. It trumps any of these fragmented voluntary Flex systems as resale value trends to 0.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I think Vistana should have just created a Flex program that combined access to all the resorts, instead of just some. This would have undermined the availability in VSN to some degree, but would have benefitted the developer sales schtick and may have even helped preserve some resale value.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Vistana should have just created a Flex program that combined access to all the resorts, instead of just some. This would have undermined the availability in VSN to some degree, but would have benefitted the developer sales schtick and may have even helped preserve some resale value.
+1

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

Just you wait, that’s probably the next product once these Flex systems run their course. Can’t you imagine sales pitching “why own just Mexico (or the Sheratons) when you can book 12 months out everywhere!”

I agree, that’s the way they should have gone if they wanted a true points system.

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just you wait, that’s probably the next product once these Flex systems run their course. Can’t you imagine sales pitching “why own just Mexico (or the Sheratons) when you can book 12 months out everywhere!”

This is what Diamond Resorts has been doing for quite some time. They have nine trust fund based subsystems called "collections" (these are trust fund deed pools similar to the flex systems). Then they have a propriety exchange system that sits on top to these. People buy points in one of the Diamond collections, and they gain access to other collections through the exchange club. Of course only developer purchased points have this "privilege;" it doesn't transfer with the sale of the points. Diamond can also charge a (very large) fee to join the exchange system (deeded owners at DRI resorts can do this, and resale point owners can do this (a bit like re-qualifying a deed in VSN)). Also, all the DRI loyalty benefits are offered through this framework. I'm not seeing any reason why ILG can't do something similar, maybe even including the new Hyatt point system.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
What would it looks like for Nanea and WSJ (CV and SB) if they are added to Flex since they are already HomeOptions programs??

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what Diamond Resorts has been doing for quite some time. They have nine trust fund based subsystems called "collections" (these are trust fund deed pools similar to the flex systems). Then they have a propriety exchange system that site on top to these. People buy points in one of the Diamond collections, and they gain access to other collections through the exchange club. Of course only developer purchased points have this "privilege;" it doesn't transfer with the sale of the points. Diamond can also charge a (very large) fee to join the exchange system (deeded owners at DRI resorts can do this, and resale point owners can do this (a bit like re-qualifying a deed in VSN)). Also, all the DRI loyalty benefits are offered through this framework. I'm not seeing any reason why ILG can't do something similar, maybe even including the new Hyatt point system.

They basically already have done this. You can buy Sheraton, Westin or Mexico flex, but if you want VSN access (just like THE Club) you need to buy developer. That access (just like THE Club) allows you to book from the other flex choices.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes... that took off. It looked to me that almost every IV (non- OV) B4 villa number was captured in listing - or did I read correctly? If there are - I doubt they own all of these (or even close) specific deeds that account for the weeks/villa that have ability to float.

There were no B2 or B3 VOIs listed. Only B4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I read the unit numbers right, they included some corner deluxe units.

how are they going to differentiate those from the regular units at 12-8mos, as deeded owners are limited to only being able to book that very specific inventory and don't have access to regular units until 8mos?

will flex owners have random access to those corner deluxe units, or will they charge a premium? will deeded owners get access to less inventory than they should proportionally based on deeded vs flex pools?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree, that’s the way they should have gone if they wanted a true points system.
I agree this is coming. If it happens, how many rounds of selling the same unit will they get?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
They basically already have done this. You can buy Sheraton, Westin or Mexico flex, but if you want VSN access (just like THE Club) you need to buy developer. That access (just like THE Club) allows you to book from the other flex choices.
But this new overall flex would be better, it would let you book all resorts at 12 months vs 8 months at non home resorts...:D

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
I have been looking into this, and what pisses me off about it is, (as an owner at Nanea), I get to place my home reservations at Nanea at 8-12 months, now these 'flex' owners can reserve at any of the flex resorts at 8-12 months. we both get the same 8 month treatment. so this tells me that their points are more valuable than mine, but something ALSO tells me that MY maintenance fees will be higher. I am disappointed in Vistana in regards to this program. I will be doing an owners update later in 2018 when I stay at WKORV and will be drilling them hard on this one. (they REALLY don't like me when I go in with questions).. I feel like they are devaluing my deeded week and giving a lot more people access to my home resort at 12 months. so, play it safe and book early!
See post #13

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK then. $20k in new money enough?
It will be so good that $20K is a deal...of course, I am being sarcastic.

Realistically, without endorsing anything, I think they would charge more. They charge $20K to retro. I know there are tricks to lower the amount, but the base is about (or was) about $20K depending on the location where you are purchasing the new VOI.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be so good that $20K is a deal...of course, I am being sarcastic.

Realistically, without endorsing anything, I think they would charge more. They charge $20K to retro. I know there are tricks to lower the amount, but the base is about (or was) about $20K depending on the location where you are purchasing the new VOI.

I was also just kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they offer to trade sheraton flex units for a "whole Vistana flex" at a $20k pricepoint for the same number of options.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also just kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they offer to trade sheraton flex units for a "whole Vistana flex" at a $20k pricepoint for the same number of options.
I would’t be either. The sad part is that people will fall...

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
It's interesting. It seems they are creating a very fragmented product that will likely confuse consumers. You have regular deeded weeks, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Westin Aventuras, and the "HomeOptions" product in St. John and Nanea. I think it's odd that they didn't take the time to combine these programs into something a bit more cohesive. I get their reasoning about how their pricing can be more flexible if the programs are separate, but on the other hand, I look at Marriott, which frankly has a much more cohesive, usable product, that encompasses all of their properties. The points requirements change based on the location and caliber of the resort, which all correspond directly to both your buy-in price and your maintenance fees. If Marriott, who has far more properties and usage options (they've done cruises for a while and also have other excursions and even rental houses), could create a simpler, more unified program that's dynamically priced, why can't Vistana?

That being said, the big issue I see with Marriott is that the points requirement is quite high for many properties, resulting in a high-buy in and MFs. (Think $50,000 buy-in and $1,600 MF for a 2 bedroom in semi-prime season in Orlando.)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's interesting. It seems they are creating a very fragmented product that will likely confuse consumers. You have regular deeded weeks, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Westin Aventuras, and the "HomeOptions" product in St. John and Nanea. I think it's odd that they didn't take the time to combine these programs into something a bit more cohesive. I get their reasoning about how their pricing can be more flexible if the programs are separate, but on the other hand, I look at Marriott, which frankly has a much more cohesive, usable product, that encompasses all of their properties. The points requirements change based on the location and caliber of the resort, which all correspond directly to both your buy-in price and your maintenance fees. If Marriott, who has far more properties and usage options (they've done cruises for a while and also have other excursions and even rental houses), could create a simpler, more unified program that's dynamically priced, why can't Vistana?

That being said, the big issue I see with Marriott is that the points requirement is quite high for many properties, resulting in a high-buy in and MFs. (Think $50,000 buy-in and $1,600 MF for a 2 bedroom in semi-prime season in Orlando.)
That is why we changed route this year when our Marriott weeks got enrolled and decided to increase our Marriott timeshare holdings. We have discussed about totally getting out of Vistana but we could use SOs to book at Westin Mission Hills. We enjoy their daily golf clinics and also we could spend time with our neighbors who have lots of Vistana, all developer bought, and have joint vacations together.

gdstuart

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently at a Hyatt in FL and they are being very aggressive with current owners to try to get them to convert to PP (similar to FLEX). ILG has seriously underestimated how much legacy owners are willing to pay to convert. Without a significant number of us who convert, they are going to have a product with little inventory for PP ( and FLEX for Westin).. My belief is that as soon as they realize they are not going to have enough inventory, the price to convert will be lowered to something similar to what Marriott offered legacy owners.
PMJI but Marriott finally lowered that price to 0, so I converted my Marriott Monarch week to 1900 DC points. As long as your Marriott week was purchased prior to Dec. 2017, you can exercise this conversion. Altho this post seems to be in the wrong forum, I just wanted to reply here since I'm sitting at Princeville for 3 nights (booked with StarPoints, not Star Options) and considering if I want to dip my toe into the Westin product. I'm getting the impression that it might be better to sit back and observe what transpires with (1) the Marriott tender offer for ILG and (2) how this FLexPoints program plays out, before starting to shop for a Westin resale week or a bucket of StarPoints.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I mean, didn't they pretty much have this with the original SVN that most of us belong to?
All the resorts belong to the original VSN and depending on your home interval, your MFs could vary widely for the same number of SOS. If you want a better 12 mo reservation you buy the better resort, if you don't care, you buy SVV for better buy in price.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
PMJI but Marriott finally lowered that price to 0, so I converted my Marriott Monarch week to 1900 DC points. As long as your Marriott week was purchased prior to Dec. 2017, you can exercise this conversion.

Are you saying that now pre 12/17 can be enrolled by simply electing and without buying points?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you saying that now pre 12/17 can be enrolled by simply electing and without buying points?
I was wondering the same thing...