• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another example of ARDA and Timeshare resorts working AGAINST owners

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
We received this email today, and while it is lacking in details about the resort name...i have little reason to believe the rest of it isnt completely accurate...and likely an accurate representation of what many owners go thru when first trying to sell a Timeshare.

Hello,
I spent over an hour reading various articles on your site. Most were very interesting and I think you. My situation is I have a time share I paid $10,000 about 10 years ago. I want to sell and understand I’d be lucky to get $1000.

I did approach my resort and they gave me a time share company they recommend to others to use and of course they wanted $300 upfront to market my timeshare. They gave no guarantee it will sell however this is the company my resort suggests using. I have called others and the upfront “marketing’ fees range from $300 to $1500 and everywhere in between.

After doing all the research I could, I also contacted ARDA and was given a list of about 8 companies that could help me sell that are members of ARDA and it was suggested stick to dealing with a company that is an ARDA member. The company my resort suggested is a member of ARDA.

Thing is every one of the ARDA members that are in business to sell timeshares also explained that I would need to pay something up front so they can help market my timeshare. This is your #1 rule that I should run because they want upfront fees yet ARDA suggests they are good companies to deal with. What can you add to all this?

Lastly what can TUG do to help me sell my timeshare? Or is TUG just a website that I can post my timeshare for sale but not get any help before during or after it sells? If you feel TUG is the way I should go I would love to talk to someone for help. I’d also like your feedback on all the above and if choosing a company that is a member of ARDA and suggested by my resort is a good idea even though I would have to put some money up front.

we of course replied in the hopes that we will save this guy from the utterly awful advice he was given by both his resort, and ARDA....but he is only one of many thousands that likely get this same advice and follow it, which is incredibly sad.

(ps, heres to hoping the individual joins TUG and uses the advice given in our reply to this email to avoid being scammed, and actually give away his Timeshare, perhaps he will even chime in here!)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Oh my goodness! What resort would suggest an upfront fee company? How knowledgeable are those people. ARDA has upfront fee companies as members, I knew that already, and in the current issue of Timesharing Today, one guy has a big picture of him with his company name listed. That is such a joke. I just looked at it today.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
most resorts arent likely to refer owners to useful sites where they will learn that their timeshares have little to no resale value.

instead they refer them to upfront fee sites that spin wild tales about how they will easily sell for thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars...thus making the owner very happy and more than willing to plop down a few hundred bucks up front.

it just kicks the bucket of truth down the road a few months (or years) at the expense of the owner.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It would interesting which timeshare it is and which company they referred him to. Hopefully this person listens to your advice.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
most resorts arent likely to refer owners to useful sites where they will learn that their timeshares have little to no resale value.

And that probably explains why many of these resorts do not send out stern, clear warnings to owners (a personal pet peeve) about these upfront fee scam companies. One big protection for owners against these upfront fee resale scams is to know the realistic resale value of their TS.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
absolutely...

if there is one thing the industry fears, its that resale/depreciation of timeshares becomes common knowledge!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also in a later reply the individual said the two outfits he was referred to were buyatimeshare and timesharesonly

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Honor among thieves, perhaps? If an upfront fee company is a member of ARDA, of course ARDA and resorts associated with ARDA will recommend them.

So far as I know, Viking Ship companies are not members of ARDA, and ARDA and some resorts do advise against selling to Viking Ship companies, so at least they have that going for them.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
also in a later reply the individual said the two outfits he was referred to were buyatimeshare and timesharesonly
These are sites I do look at resales.

I had put an offer in once at Buyatimeshare. Two days later someone from the company called and asked if I heard from the seller which I did not. They told me that often happens and they would follow up. I never heard back from them or the seller.

Timeshareonly I recently noticed an ad from 2011.

Has anyone put an offer in or had success buying from either buyatimeshare or timeshareonly and if yes was it a direct sale from the seller? Or fees padded on to buy?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Honor among thieves, perhaps? If an upfront fee company is a member of ARDA, of course ARDA and resorts associated with ARDA will recommend them.

So far as I know, Viking Ship companies are not members of ARDA, and ARDA and some resorts do advise against selling to Viking Ship companies, so at least they have that going for them.
How does one know whether a company is a Viking Ship LLC? They all look alike to me.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Many upfront fee companies place ads "for life"...its how they inflate their ad counts for marketing purposes.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana is actively referring people to ARDA
Thank you for contacting Vistana Management, Inc.

Unfortunately Vistana Management, Inc. is not accepting weeks back at this time. You may wish to consider reselling your vacation ownership interest through a third party. We advise to be cautious about enlisting a third party to rent or resell your vacation ownership interest. If you choose to use a timeshare resale or advertising company, we recommend that you evaluate the company first by asking for references.

The American Resort Development Association (ARDA) website has additional information regarding the resale and advertising of timeshare or vacation ownership interests. The ARDA website can be found at: www.arda.org. To find ARDA guidelines for timeshare resale, once on the ARDA website, simply select “For the Consumer” from the menu along the top of the page, and then select “Consumer Information” and “Resale Guidelines” from the menu on the left of the page. There are also certain timeshare resale companies that are also ARDA members. To find a list of timeshare resale companies who are also members of ARDA, again go to www.arda.org and select “Membership” from the menu along the top of the page, and then “Member Directories” and “Advertising/Resale” from the menu on the left of the page.

If we can be of further assistance, our hours of operation are:

Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time
Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time
800-729-8246 - Toll free
407-903-4670 - Local & International
407-418-7771 - Facsimile

Sincerely,
Association Management

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does ARDA returned any money back to resorts that some timeshare members contributed that $5.00 ARDA fee; when paying their yearly maintenance fees?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
owners should write to their BOD/HOA and ask why they dont refer existing owners to TUG, or at least print out the how to sell guide etc to actually providing meaningful help to owners who are looking for it....vs doing more harm than good by actually REFERRING them to the upfront fee sharks.

wont hold my breath expecting any answers if some owners do decide to ask these questions, but it cant hurt!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does ARDA returned any money back to resorts that some timeshare members contributed that $5.00 ARDA fee; when paying their yearly maintenance fees?
Not sure why they would. That $5-10 goes to a political PAC and is used to fund lobbying efforts at local, state and federal levels.

CAron1022

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek charges $125.00 upfront to list a sale and $300.00 or 3% at closing.
Can anyone suggest a company to use to sell a Marriott Hawaii week please? Thank you.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Not sure why they would. That $5-10 goes to a political PAC and is used to fund lobbying efforts at local, state and federal levels.
Yes, and far too often (one might say nearly always) ARDA advocates politically in the interests of the developers at the expense of owners.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Can anyone suggest a company to use to sell a Marriott Hawaii week please? Thank you.
Have you tried posting on the TUG Marketplace? If you find a buyer, you can read under the “Buying, Selling, Renting” forum how to draw up a contract and effect a transfer. Or you can find the buyer on TUG and then hire a broker at reduced brokerage to complete the sale for you.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am noticing more and more Redweek ads are full service. I am also finding Redweek to be less and less an ideal place to find decent resales. Not sure if the two are related.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can anyone suggest a company to use to sell a Marriott Hawaii week please? you.
I am noticing more and more Redweek ads are full service. I am also finding Redweek to be less and less an ideal place to find decent resales. Not sure if the two are related.
I recently acquired a great resale week on Redweek. Definitely was worth my money to pay the fee to join.

I had the intent to list on Redweek if I wasn’t successful gifting my timeshares on Tug. As of yet I had no need as all Tug listings were taken.

JoeS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received this email today, and while it is lacking in details about the resort name...i have little reason to believe the rest of it isnt completely accurate...and likely an accurate representation of what many owners go thru when first trying to sell a Timeshare.

we of course replied in the hopes that we will save this guy from the utterly awful advice he was given by both his resort, and ARDA....but he is only one of many thousands that likely get this same advice and follow it, which is incredibly sad.

(ps, heres to hoping the individual joins TUG and uses the advice given in our reply to this email to avoid being scammed, and actually give away his Timeshare, perhaps he will even chime in here!)

I think it would be helpful to include your response or a link to the information, which I think is somewhere on the site, here so all who read this thread get the benefit of the information.

gatorray

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry1015,
While TUG is the way to go for diy sales, should you wish to sell with a reputable, knowledgeable, and very experienced company to avoid the inevitable quirks and nuances of transacting this (or any real property) TS selling process, I had excellent personal service for a purchase utilizing Transaction Realty out of SLC. Shelley knows her stuff and can provide a wealth of info as she did for me many yrs ago. No upfront fee for the seller or buyer as far as I'm aware. She is an owner and a TUG advertiser and member. Check it out if you're still in the market. Disclaimer: She is not a relative nor do I get any compensation for these unsolicited comments.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is television star that is pushing Timeshare Exit Company. Have anyone used this company?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you can find a number of threads about TET on the forums, they appear to have taken over the mainstream media advertisements...but are indeed an upfront fee "cancellation" company.