• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anone gotten a status gift yet?

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know in previous years by this point I'd gotten an email, usually keeping me at the same status even if I hadn't quite made the night requirement. This year, nothing. Has anyone gotten their status for 2018 yet?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I got something - can't remember if it was an email, but probably. It said I was being upgraded to gold, which is funny because I have been gold for years, and as long as the Marriott/United partnership continues, we will remain gold forever. (My husband is a 2 million miler at United and so he has permanent platinum status with United, which entitles us to gold status at Marrtiott.)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got something - can't remember if it was an email, but probably. It said I was being upgraded to gold, which is funny because I have been gold for years, and as long as the Marriott/United partnership continues, we will remain gold forever. (My husband is a 2 million miler at United and so he has permanent platinum status with United, which entitles us to gold status at Marrtiott.)
About a week ago we got the email that our account was being upgraded to Platinum from the MVC account. I am Platinum lifetime so we'd changed our account rewards number to my wife's in preparation for this likelihood so she could be building her status.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t get any notice at all. No gift to stay platinum. No notice of gold with rollover (I know last year for that)

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
The last 5 years I have been gifted platinum from gold. Each time I finished the year with 50 to 60 night credits. This year I finished the year at 53. I reached lefetime gold so I am curious on what they will do. My platinum status runs through March. Is everyone notified year end or close to when status expire?

BabyDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points
I know in previous years by this point I'd gotten an email, usually keeping me at the same status even if I hadn't quite made the night requirement. This year, nothing. Has anyone gotten their status for 2018 yet?
I received an e-mail indicating I would be upgraded in February.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email last week congratulating me for staying on Gold, except I am at Platinum which had been obtained through MVC.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The MVC owner level MR Elite benefit status is managed totally independent from the MR nights stayed benefit status.
Whether one could reasonably expect them to managed in a coordinated way is another matter entirely.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
My counter reset to 0 nights. No word that platinum has been extended but no rollover nights added to account either indicating I was dropped to gold.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
About a week ago we got the email that our account was being upgraded to Platinum from the MVC account. I am Platinum lifetime so we'd changed our account rewards number to my wife's in preparation for this likelihood so she could be building her status.
What exactly did you do? We have used one number and it's my husbands, who is platinum for life. Did you open a new acct for your wife and now will begin using it? Believe, since we are owners, my account should be gold??? Not sure how to proceed and how it would work?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly did you do? We have used one number and it's my husbands, who is platinum for life. Did you open a new acct for your wife and now will begin using it? Believe, since we are owners, my account should be gold??? Not sure how to proceed and how it would work?
I have one and recently opened one for my wife. We also got a Marriott rewards Chase CC for her with intents on canceling mine once she's upgraded. I did some investigation with Marriott and determined that it was they will only list one rewards number and that the "upgrade" occurs once per year early in the year. It is my intent to use her number as much as possible once she's at Platinum. I wish I'd anticipated this area better over the years and used her's more but I was unaware of the lifetime status until a few years ago and I don't think MVC stays counted until a few years ago IIRC. Even after I knew about the program, the requirements were higher than they are now so I didn't think I'd be here this soon. It's possible you've missed it for this year but you could change the number on the account and hope you will be upgraded this year or you could wait until later in the year in preparation for next year. I guess you could change it then change it back in a few months if not upgraded then change it again later in the year though I'd check to see if that is indeed possible. I figure it'll take a few years to get her to Gold or Platinum Lifetime. This became more of an issue recently when she traveled without me. I had presumed the perks would go with the reservation rather than the person but since I wasn't there, the perks did not apply. So it became more important to do this.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
No email at all, my account was reset to 0 night when I checked last night. I am a platinum and stayed over 100 nights in 2017.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Anybody know when your status changes if you go down a category? For 2017 I was Platinum, but I only stayed 51 nights in 2017, so I may drop to Gold. I am wondering what date my Platinum status goes away.

Ray

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a gift but I did notice my wife's rewards account was upgraded to Platinum from silver this week even though we'd been led to believe it'd be more like the end of Feb.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I just got a snail mail yesterday that told me that "even though you stayed fewer nights than required, we are pleased to renew your platinum elite status for 2018 as a thank you for your incredible locality." 6th year in a row I have been gifted. Only 167 more nights for lifetime platinum status. I stayed 53 nights in 2017.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing yet, but both Mobile and "Classic" Marriott site show me as PP so I assume they haven't been sent yet. With all the issues with the new site, they may be waiting or they may be trying to figure out what to do with the SPG folks too.

(I also got the email from MVCI telling me about status, it does mention that if you already have higher status to ignore)

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
My DH received notice that he would continue as Platinum for 2018 even though he only had 53 nights. Great news.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My account appears to be messed up. Anyone else?

2017: I was gold. Still showing gold when I log in.
Mid December I had 47 nights
Stayed on 7 night package from 12/26 - 1/2: should have given me 6 nights for 2017 and 1 night for 2018

My online nights reset and shows: 6 nights redeemed 2018 - but still shows 3 nights to gold 28 to platinum
My mobile app shows: 6 nights redeemed. renew gold at 10 nights, platinum at 35 nights

This makes no sense to me - but I haven't called because at this point I should only have 1 night for 2018 + 3 rollover. They are showing 6 and still are showing me as gold.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "new" Marriott website has all sorts of issues, lots of talk on flyertalk. If you can find the link to the "classic" site, it is usually correct. Mobile is mostly correct but sometimes lags.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I basically don't bother looking at the site until February to see where I really stand. Too many changes and uncertainties so early in the year.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I basically don't bother looking at the site until February to see where I really stand. Too many changes and uncertainties so early in the year.
Yes, and status change decreases are not effective until either March 1 or February 1 (I do not remember exactly which one).

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not seeing my rollover nights. I thought we would get them this year. Maybe later or I’ll call

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I got my letter in the mail today. Platinum again for 2018 even though I was six nights short in 2017. I should hit Lifetime Platinum in a year or two and then I'll move my credit card over to a different rewards program.

I currently don't have an SPG membership. Wondering if I should create one just so I can link the two together to get SPG Platinum as well. Have others done this?