• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

+What happened to the beach.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The beach has been replaced with huge sandbags. Kahana Beach south to Kanipali looks very slim to none regarding Sandy beach this year. Hawaii needs to be a little faster with the permitting or the erosion will change the shorelines for good.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The beach has been replaced with huge sandbags. Kahana Beach south to Kanipali looks very slim to none regarding Sandy beach this year. Hawaii needs to be a little faster with the permitting or the erosion will change the shorelines for good.

Bill
Ka'anapali. This happens every year - the sand comes and goes - it's normal.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
The erosion at Ka'anapali Beach Club has not been normal. Already, they've lost 10-20' of the grassy area, and they still don't have a permanent solution. This is from August 2016.

2016-08-17%2008-50-34-L.jpg

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A different problem, but when I was in Hawaii in May 2017, Oahu was experiencing what they called "king tides". I lived on Oahu for 12 years and had never heard of it before. The tides had come way up the beach at Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian Village fireworks had to be cancelled due to the site where they were launched being under water. Some streets in Waikiki and Honolulu have experienced intermittent flooding, even with fish flopping in the streets. I'm not sure of the effect on other islands. I was on Kauai and the Big Island and did not hear of it. From news articles I've read it is thought to be a combination of El Nino and climate change.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
A different problem, but when I was in Hawaii in May 2017, Oahu was experiencing what they called "king tides". I lived on Oahu for 12 years and had never heard of it before. The tides had come way up the beach at Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian Village fireworks had to be cancelled due to the site where they were launched being under water. Some streets in Waikiki and Honolulu have experienced intermittent flooding, even with fish flopping in the streets. I'm not sure of the effect on other islands. I was on Kauai and the Big Island and did not hear of it. From news articles I've read it is thought to be a combination of El Nino and climate change.
King tides are not unique to Hawaii. Like all tides, they are caused by the relative locations of the sun and moon. King tides this week coincided with the "super moon. "

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our last visit to the Valley Isle Resort was two years ago and the ocean was very close to the south west corner of the property and on Thanksgiving this year a storm eroded that corner to where the ocean is maybe 15 ft from the south west corner of the building. Our last visit there was a 20 ft sandy beach area in front of most of the resort's in this area. Today there are huge sandbags in place of the sand. The sand that was the beach is out between two reefs maybe 60 ft out.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reality is that it is very easy to reclaim the shoreline but the permitting process is a different dealio. Permits with anything regarding building near the shoreline, often to replace damaged property, can take years.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Valley Isle let me know that the plan is to reclaim the beach this year. The State will be doing this as the beach is state property. So maybe next year we will have a beach again.

Bill