• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Entry Point

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an entry point. Really like the Hyatt Highlands. Since I have family nearby I can see myself going every year. My question is should I buy at another location which may be cheaper and trade into some of the nicer Hyatts? If so what point level? I'm thinking 2200 point plat should be a good entry point to move freely (Hawaii) through their system. ROFR may be a problem but I could try and move down to a 1br plat if unsuccessful. Any suggestions on a good entry point, location, point level, with Hyatt?

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
I have always been of the mind to buy where you would want to go, yr after yr. That being said there are now 3, one bedrooms at Highlands in the market place, with one offering a package deal to include another ownership in Texas. 2200 points would be a good place to start for trading, but owning Hyatt and wanting to trade into another you would have to be vigilant and depending on where and when it may not be enough. It should also be noted trading in II, you can't trade into another Hyatt.
You check the other sites to see if there are more offerings such as Red Week, Craig's list(I'd be Leary there) as scammers abound everywhere. The one thing I wouldn't do is buy at the dog and pony show. Much cheaper to buy resale.
We own several Hyatt with a 2000 point at pinion pointe, 2 bdr. lock out, and have always found a trade to a 1 bdr. with no problem. Right now some of the offerings at pinion pointe are quite reasonable. GOOD LUCK going forward.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is currently an unknown with the Hyatt Point system they are currently in middle of rolling out. So, the advice of buying where you would want to go vs an inexpensive trader may be a bit more important right now. Things may change once they officially roll out the new points system. You can read what we know about the system under WalnutBaron's thread "Hyatt Residence Portfolio" (it's not letting me cut and paste the link, or I would have done that).

Highlands Inn is a beautiful property, however, it has high maintenance fees (which were just increased, making them even higher) if you are going to use it as a trader.

2200 points is a great point amount for the system as at that point you can go anywhere in the system at any time, assuming there is availability. You can also spread the points on shorter stays or different unit size, which would offer greater flexibility.

ROFR seems to be random. They were buying everything back so they had inventory for the new points program, however, because that new point system seems to be floundering, they seem to have laid off the ROFR activity for the time being. That may or may not change in the new year.

While each system has its pluses and minuses, and Hyatt certainly has its issues, it has truly been outstanding for us. Each property has been great, and while the system is small in size, it makes up for that in quality. Good luck.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I echo much of what sts and Sapper have said. 2200 points will get you trades into 1BR units in most other Hyatt locations. Highlands Inn is a spectacular property and--as sts said--you should buy there if that would be your home resort and you would enjoy going there often. The nice thing about HRC is that you'd be buying a fixed week which will be guaranteed to you, including both the time of year you visit and the view you buy. As you may know, view quality varies significantly at HHI, and I would highly recommend choosing to pursue one of the 400 units, not those in the 200's or 300's. Yes, annual MF's at HHI are higher than some other Hyatt locations, but you'll be locked in with what you own, which is a big advantage.

We also own at Sedona, which has the lowest MF's in the Hyatt system. We bought it because we love going there, not because we intend to use it as a trader within Hyatt (though we have done that as well).

Don't ignore sts' advice about trading in II. While Hyatt will command excellent trade value through II, you cannot trade back into Hyatt through II.

I recommend you read the stickies on this forum thoroughly before you buy, if you haven't done so already, in order to become familiar with the HRC system and how it works.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Would go for a 2200 point resale, preferably where you want to visit most of the time.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always been of the mind to buy where you would want to go, yr after yr. That being said there are now 3, one bedrooms at Highlands in the market place, with one offering a package deal to include another ownership in Texas. 2200 points would be a good place to start for trading, but owning Hyatt and wanting to trade into another you would have to be vigilant and depending on where and when it may not be enough. It should also be noted trading in II, you can't trade into another Hyatt.
You check the other sites to see if there are more offerings such as Red Week, Craig's list(I'd be Leary there) as scammers abound everywhere. The one thing I wouldn't do is buy at the dog and pony show. Much cheaper to buy resale.
We own several Hyatt with a 2000 point at pinion pointe, 2 bdr. lock out, and have always found a trade to a 1 bdr. with no problem. Right now some of the offerings at pinion pointe are quite reasonable. GOOD LUCK going forward.
If I want to stay at a different Hyatt every year does it really matter where I buy? I like the Hyatt system (with II) primarily because I want to stay at higher end properties at differnt locations every year. I just want to be sure to enter the system in a way that would allow me to do this.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Short answer .......no. At the point level you were thinking, trading in II you can do about anything you want. Trading internally with in Hyatt gets you a one bdr., possibly two depending on where you want to go and time of season. In II can get you just about anything, 1, 2, if your lucky and depending on your points MAYBE 3 bdrs. We once used just our Hyatt points in II and got 2 wks. back to back(same resort, same unit) in USVI in 1 bdr.
As I mentioned earlier, choose one where you would most likely go back to yr. after yr., good location(where everyone wants to be), I only mentioned pinion pointe as stated previously low MF's and excellent point value and rent ability.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of buying into a good system (Hyatt, HGVC) but also finding a good balance between initial purchase price and MF's. Ideally I would like to buy at Kings Land or HHI. However my practical (and thrifty) brain is thinking something different. This is what I mean: I can buy into HGVC or Hyatt but not at their top level resorts such as KL or HHI. Bay Club and Pinion Point gets you into the system with a lower initial investment. This should give you access to all their resorts provided you buy in at the right level. I think the Westin Kierland also falls into this category. So is it possible to to buy in, at the right levels, into good resorts i.e. 2200 pts for Hyatt or 7000 for HGVC for under 2k? After searching the marketplace I think it is but not at their most popular locations. What I have gathered so far is that entry point is the key. I only want to buy one or two TS (and stay at high end resorts at different locations) while keeping my up front cost to a minimum. I think the only way to do this is buying at places like Pinion Point or Bay Club (still good locations i can live with) with the right mix of points/season I should be able to freely move to all location in the system. I like the idea of buying a 2br as I could always trade down to a one at a more desireable location or season. Am I on the right track?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of buying into a good system (Hyatt, HGVC) but also finding a good balance between initial purchase price and MF's. Ideally I would like to buy at Kings Land or HHI. However my practical (and thrifty) brain is thinking something different. This is what I mean: I can buy into HGVC or Hyatt but not at their top level resorts such as KL or HHI. Bay Club and Pinion Point gets you into the system with a lower initial investment. This should give you access to all their resorts provided you buy in at the right level. I think the Westin Kierland also falls into this category. So is it possible to to buy in, at the right levels, into good resorts i.e. 2200 pts for Hyatt or 7000 for HGVC for under 2k? After searching the marketplace I think it is but not at their most popular locations. What I have gathered so far is that entry point is the key. I only want to buy one or two TS (and stay at high end resorts at different locations) while keeping my up front cost to a minimum. I think the only way to do this is buying at places like Pinion Point or Bay Club (still good locations i can live with) with the right mix of points/season I should be able to freely move to all location in the system. I like the idea of buying a 2br as I could always trade down to a one at a more desireable location or season. Am I on the right track?

I think you will look long and hard to find a 2200 point unit anywhere for under $2k. If you do find that, you will risk a strong chance of Hyatt taking it through ROFR. You also need to consider the maintenance cost. Piñon Pointe has the lowest maintenance fee per point, however, because of this, they tend to cost significantly more up front. If you are going to hold it for a long time, then the break even in total cost will hit a few years down the road. If you are only looking for a trader, then the long term price per point is your only concern, and Piñon Pointe works well for that specific desire. The risk with this is if trading changes in the future, you may become stuck with a unit you are not happy with.

Trading internally has been good for us, however, there is no guarantee that will continue into the future, which is why many of us, my self included, are suggesting buying where (and when) you would be happy returning year after year. One of the reasons I like the HRC model is you can select a location (down to the specific unit) at a specific time you would most like to use it. Going forward into the future, that unit week is yours. No fighting for it, no guessing if you are going to get a view of a parking lot or a view of the ocean for your specific unit. If you buy a unit where and when you would be happy using it, and use it to trade, then great. If the system changes down the road, and you cannot trade, then you still have your unit that you are happy with.

Regarding HRC vs HGVC, from what I have personally seen, HRC has a smaller foot print, but higher quality properties. HRC allows buying a specific unit for a specific time, and allows trading if you want. HGVC is a point system, so you are really only looking for a trader (unless you want to use the 9-12 month out home preference period for a high demand location like a ski week). However, you are not guaranteed a specific unit, just a type... assuming you get the reservation for the dates you want. What are your thoughts on the two systems?

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Sapper is spot on. All of our Hyatt's are deeded weeks. Never did like the idea of being in the pool with everyone else. I am sure there are people who swear by point systems, but it always seemed like a crap shoot to me, better to know where and when........IMO, just sayin

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will look long and hard to find a 2200 point unit anywhere for under $2k. If you do find that, you will risk a strong chance of Hyatt taking it through ROFR. You also need to consider the maintenance cost. Piñon Pointe has the lowest maintenance fee per point, however, because of this, they tend to cost significantly more up front. If you are going to hold it for a long time, then the break even in total cost will hit a few years down the road. If you are only looking for a trader, then the long term price per point is your only concern, and Piñon Pointe works well for that specific desire. The risk with this is if trading changes in the future, you may become stuck with a unit you are not happy with.

Trading internally has been good for us, however, there is no guarantee that will continue into the future, which is why many of us, my self included, are suggesting buying where (and when) you would be happy returning year after year. One of the reasons I like the HRC model is you can select a location (down to the specific unit) at a specific time you would most like to use it. Going forward into the future, that unit week is yours. No fighting for it, no guessing if you are going to get a view of a parking lot or a view of the ocean for your specific unit. If you buy a unit where and when you would be happy using it, and use it to trade, then great. If the system changes down the road, and you cannot trade, then you still have your unit that you are happy with.

Regarding HRC vs HGVC, from what I have personally seen, HRC has a smaller foot print, but higher quality properties. HRC allows buying a specific unit for a specific time, and allows trading if you want. HGVC is a point system, so you are really only looking for a trader (unless you want to use the 9-12 month out home preference period for a high demand location like a ski week). However, you are not guaranteed a specific unit, just a type... assuming you get the reservation for the dates you want. What are your thoughts on the two systems?

I agree with this. If you can find a 2200 contract for 2k or less, the odds of it passing ROFR are practically zero.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sapper nailed it. The OP is over-thinking this, and trying to do too much at too low an entry cost. As others have stated earlier, your best bet--at least within the Hyatt system--is to buy where you want to go often. If you like Hyatt Highlands Inn, go for it. What's an extra $300-500/year in MF's for such a beautiful property, especially if you live close by? You'll save at least that much in transportation costs to get there each year as compared to having to fly, rent a car, and incur other costs you would not have if you're able to drive to the Highlands Inn.

Sapper also has availed you of the risk of having a contract bought out through ROFR by Hyatt if the price is too low. Though that may be frustrating to you now, you will appreciate it as an owner, because Hyatt is serving to retain value for you by preventing below-market sales from actually being passed to low-ball buyers.

You are correct about Westin Kierland Village in Vistana/Starwood--a very nice property with high upfront purchase price, mitigated by reasonable annual fees and excellent internal trading value within the Vistana/Starwood system. I do not agree with you on Kings Land, unless you plan to visit every year. Because MF's in Hawaii are notoriously high, it's never a good idea to consider a Hawaii property as a trader--either internally or externally.

The bottom line is that you should be willing to pay more upfront for a great property you intend to visit often, as long as ongoing MF's are reasonable. Remember, by buying the more expensive property, you will be able to sell it at a higher price as well--effectively making the upfront purchase a wash once you sell it, even if that occurs many years later.

Last edited:

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score

Between the two systems I referenced, Hyatt resonates more with me. I really don't need to be in the highly popular (touristy) spots. And if I had to be honest HHI is where I really want to be. I visited Carmel a couple years ago and fell in love with the central coast. Also I do want to trade to higher end resorts. From what I heard Hyatt with II is probably as good as it gets. I see a couple of options in the marketplace and would love to get some feedback on the two choices I am considering. Here they are:
or Sale
Fixed | EY | SunToSun
Hyatt Highlands Inn
USA | CA | Carmel
15 2018
15 2018
04/15/2018
04/22/2018
Red
Sales Price$4,500.00
Maint Fees$1,725.00
Posted: 10/3/2017 - Hyatt Highlands Inn - Week 15 (April) - Unit 415 - Ocean Viewview ad

For Sale
2,200 Hyatt Points
USA | CA | Carmel

Sales Price$6,000.00
Maint Fees$1,768.00
Posted: 12/4/2017 -view ad

$4500 seems like a good price but I'm not quite sure what I'm getting. Also the one for $6k has 2200 points seems like a good deal also. Do these seem like a good value or am I chasing price?

I just want to say thanks for all the thoughtful responses. It never hurts to take advice from those who have been there.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately, the second ad does not specify the unit location, and unit location is absolutely crucial at HHI. As for the first option, Unit 415 is a Horizon View unit. These views are usually pretty nice at HHI, but they're not full ocean views. For my preference, I think the best views at HHI are in Units 433-444 at the far south end of the property overlooking a beautiful little bay inlet with the Pacific crashing on the rocks below.

If view isn't crucial for you, either price is excellent for the number of points purchased. As has been said before, these prices may not pass ROFR.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WalnutBaron, what do you think of the 208/209 and 218/219 units?
I like them! They're full ocean view units and situated down lower and closer to the ocean than the southern-most units I mentioned, but--and this is probably just personal preference--the views of the inlet from the 433-444 units that I mentioned are my favorites. You can't see the inlet from the 200 units, which face northwest. Regardless, the views from HHI are simply amazing, no matter what direction you're looking :)

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like them! They're full ocean view units and situated down lower and closer to the ocean than the southern-most units I mentioned, but--and this is probably just personal preference--the views of the inlet from the 433-444 units that I mentioned are my favorites. You can't see the inlet from the 200 units, which face northwest. Regardless, the views from HHI are simply amazing, no matter what direction you're looking :)

It's funny, Highlands Inn is the reason I started looking into timeshares. Up to that point, I thought they were all a big scam. The last night of our honeymoon, we ate at the Pacific Edge, and I was curious about possibly staying in the Hyatt hotel there the next time we were through. Imagine my surprise when I found out the place was mostly a timeshare, run by Hyatt no less! That's when I took a step back and decided to reevaluate what I did and did not know about timeshares. I lurked on TUG for two years before I signed up, during that time I spent a year looking at each resort and probably over 100 resales, found a Beach House going for low enough I could convince my wife that we probably would not loose too much money if we decided this time share thing was not for us. She decided to humor me (or just wanted me to shut up about it), and said "ok". We have loved it ever since (a fact I enjoy reminding her of). We are now trying to decide whether to get another unit in the Hyatt system (I'd really like to get a HHI unit), or one in the HGVC system (probably try for a 9600 point Elara). I think if HHI unit 433 or 434 came open for week 32 or 33, it would be the end of the search, and we would buy it. Unfortunately, that does not happen often.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's funny, Highlands Inn is the reason I started looking into timeshares. Up to that point, I thought they were all a big scam. The last night of our honeymoon, we ate at the Pacific Edge, and I was curious about possibly staying in the Hyatt hotel there the next time we were through. Imagine my surprise when I found out the place was mostly a timeshare, run by Hyatt no less! That's when I took a step back and decided to reevaluate what I did and did not know about timeshares. I lurked on TUG for two years before I signed up, during that time I spent a year looking at each resort and probably over 100 resales, found a Beach House going for low enough I could convince my wife that we probably would not loose too much money if we decided this time share thing was not for us. She decided to humor me (or just wanted me to shut up about it), and said "ok". We have loved it ever since (a fact I enjoy reminding her of). We are now trying to decide whether to get another unit in the Hyatt system (I'd really like to get a HHI unit), or one in the HGVC system (probably try for a 9600 point Elara). I think if HHI unit 433 or 434 came open for week 32 or 33, it would be the end of the search, and we would buy it. Unfortunately, that does not happen often.
No, those are a couple of the very, very limited number of 2BR units at HHI. If you don't need the two bedrooms, I'd also recommend considering units 439-444. All deluxe 1BR units with the best views on the property. We waited for about 8 months, watching and lurking, until a Week 18 Unit 439 came up (after the colder and rainier winter months, and before the June gloom tends to set in). We jumped on it, and have loved it ever since.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. It may take a while to find the right unit. I am finding that patience is paramount in the resale market. I did see room 211 come up in the marketplace. Looks like a ground floor unit. Thanks Sapper for directing me to Kal's site. I wonder about ground floor units in regards to view. Are they worth looking into?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, those are a couple of the very, very limited number of 2BR units at HHI. If you don't need the two bedrooms, I'd also recommend considering units 439-444. All deluxe 1BR units with the best views on the property. We waited for about 8 months, watching and lurking, until a Week 18 Unit 439 came up (after the colder and rainier winter months, and before the June gloom tends to set in). We jumped on it, and have loved it ever since.

The two bed units would allow space for family when we use it, or additional points if we trade. I may eventually wear down and grab one of the ones mentioned or one from the 208/209/218/219 series. I know 440-443 are town house units, so the view from the master bedroom upstairs should be outstanding. I seem to remember someone saying they have larger balconies, any truth to that?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. It may take a while to find the right unit. I am finding that patience is paramount in the resale market. I did see room 211 come up in the marketplace. Looks like a ground floor unit. Thanks Sapper for directing me to Kal's site. I wonder about ground floor units in regards to view. Are they worth looking into?

Happy to help. Actually, Kal deserves the credit, he's been maintaining that site for a while.

The big draw, beside location and the classic California feel of the place, is the view. All else being equal, go for the unit with a view. Using the Hyatt system, you will be guaranteed to get that same view every year when using your unit (as opposed to buying a top floor and getting a ground floor when you actuall show up, which can happen in a points system). Yes, it takes patience, but the patience can pay off in a great way.

Other than the market place on TUG, you may also want to look on myresortnetwork.com, redweek.com, and eBay. Be very careful of what unit people are trying to sell. They will say "ocean view" in the ad, only to find that it's a garden view when you verify with that map on Kal's site.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking on myresortnetwork and found a unit that looks interesting. Week 18 end Unit 217. It says nothing about the view. That's probably why it's only $4500. It's also an Odd year platinum week

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The two bed units would allow space for family when we use it, or additional points if we trade. I may eventually wear down and grab one of the ones mentioned or one from the 208/209/218/219 series. I know 440-443 are town house units, so the view from the master bedroom upstairs should be outstanding. I seem to remember someone saying they have larger balconies, any truth to that?
The units 439-444 do have slightly larger balconies, but it's not appreciably different. But the views? Breathtaking. One day last May, my DW and I spent literally hours on the deck, sipping wine, reading good books, and listening to the waves crash on the rocks. It was idyllic.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking on myresortnetwork and found a unit that looks interesting. Week 18 end Unit 217. It says nothing about the view. That's probably why it's only $4500. It's also an Odd year platinum week

Personally, I'd stay away from the every other year units. You have to pay club fees (something like $150) every year no matter what, which means your maintenance fees are that much higher per point. Then, then big reason, you don't have use every off year, and we have always found a use for the points, even if we have not stayed at our unit. The one plus to EOY units is Hyatt rarely (as in I've never heard of it happening) exercises ROFR, because they don't want EOY units either.