• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Car on Maui

LA_Transplant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
I have traveled to Maui the first full week of March the last three years. Each of those years I was able to rent a convertible for $350-400 for my trip. As I have been attempting to reserve a vehicle this year, I am encountering quotes for over $1,000 to rent a comparable car. Is anyone aware of why the cost is so much more this year? Is Maui much busier this spring than last? Does anyone know have any sense if these prices will come down between now and March?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have traveled to Maui the first full week of March the last three years. Each of those years I was able to rent a convertible for $350-400 for my trip. As I have been attempting to reserve a vehicle this year, I am encountering quotes for over $1,000 to rent a comparable car. Is anyone aware of why the cost is so much more this year? Is Maui much busier this spring than last? Does anyone know have any sense if these prices will come down between now and March?
We're going to Maui the last week of February and reserved a car earlier this year in June. Now the cost has doubled for what we booked back then. I have a feeling the prices will not decrease, but may even increase as you get closer to March, which is such a popular time for those who hope to see some whales! On which sites are you searching?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I confirmed a reservation for a mid-size SUV on Maui for March 2018 for $539.31 for two weeks back in June. The prices I'm seeing currently are at least double that. I don't know why they are so high and I have no idea if they'll go down again.

I had always said the "sweet spot" for the car rentals was about 6 months out. That doesn't seem to be true time time around. I had also always said that they didn't go lower closer to the date. This year I found that to be untrue. I checked our reservation about two days before our trip (again Maui in March) and it dropped by about $60.

I would suggest booking the reservation, then using AutoSlash to monitor it. They will notify you if they find a cheaper rate. You can also use them to book your rental originally.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
It is possible that the destruction of several hurricanes in other areas has increased demand for Hawaii as it is a tropical, easy to navigate destinations for Americans... I know my St Johns xmas vaca got cancelled - that's why we're headed for Kauaii instead.

DianneL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a convertible reserved on Maui for one week, $266. Reserved about a year ago when I traded into Maui for an upcoming trip.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes rental prices for Maui have certainly gone up. I secured us a luxury sedan for $750 for 2 weeks in August through Costco and I checked to see if pricing had come down and saw that they have gone up 30% it seems. I think I got a pretty good deal so I'm satisfied but was hoping it would come down alittle.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I confirmed a reservation for a mid-size SUV on Maui for March 2018 for $539.31 for two weeks back in June. The prices I'm seeing currently are at least double that. I don't know why they are so high and I have no idea if they'll go down again.

I had always said the "sweet spot" for the car rentals was about 6 months out. That doesn't seem to be true time time around. I had also always said that they didn't go lower closer to the date. This year I found that to be untrue. I checked our reservation about two days before our trip (again Maui in March) and it dropped by about $60.

I would suggest booking the reservation, then using AutoSlash to monitor it. They will notify you if they find a cheaper rate. You can also use them to book your rental originally.

Luanne, what are your dates? I'm doing 3/25 to 4/1 which is Maui schools spring break and I'm finding that if I check Costco regularly, I see price breaks. I have 3 reservations currently, ;) but I'll also agree I was VERY surprised by the pricing. This is going to be the most I've ever paid for car rental on any island. I just figured it was because of spring break, but it sounds like that isn't the case. I'll have to factor that in for any trip after this.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It has to be something to do with the dates. The rates I'm seeing for a convertible for the last week of February is over $800. For the first week of March it's over $600. The same car for the first week of April is $414. The second week of April it's $369. I have a convertible reserved on Maui in mid-May, for just under $350 for the week. So there is a sliding scale happening, for sure.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Luanne, what are your dates? I'm doing 3/25 to 4/1 which is Maui schools spring break and I'm finding that if I check Costco regularly, I see price breaks. I have 3 reservations currently, ;) but I'll also agree I was VERY surprised by the pricing. This is going to be the most I've ever paid for car rental on any island. I just figured it was because of spring break, but it sounds like that isn't the case. I'll have to factor that in for any trip after this.
We are there from March 5 through the 20th. We'll just miss you!

I can't remember if I posted, but we have an intermediate SUV for those dates that is $540 all in. I am feeling really good about that price right now.

LA_Transplant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
Thanks for all the feedback.

After checking my reservations for the last three years, I always made them in January and was able to rent a convertible for between $350-425 for 9-10 days. It also seems as though prices have come down today because I reserved a convertible for a little over $600. I will keep looking and expect prices to go down in January again.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are there from March 5 through the 20th. We'll just miss you!

I can't remember if I posted, but we have an intermediate SUV for those dates that is $540 all in. I am feeling really good about that price right now.

Ohhh , you have that price for two weeks. I'd feel good about it too. I'll look forward to your pics ...will help me get excited knowing I'm next ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ohhh , you have that price for two weeks. I'd feel good about it too. I'll look forward to your pics ...will help me get excited knowing I'm next ;)
Two weeks plus one day. :)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My intermediate suv in Maui was from Hawaiian discount car rental and was suppose to be a Chevy trax for $420.00 for two weeks. It ended up being a full sized , very nice, full sized dodge suv. We bought the bring it in empty option for $70.00 so all in with at least one tank of gas were at $490.00. It's big enough to haul about 7 or 8 people but I laid the back seats flat and thought we might go camping next week if the weather gets better.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My intermediate suv in Maui was from Hawaiian discount car rental and was suppose to be a Chevy trax for $420.00 for two weeks. It ended up being a full sized , very nice, full sized dodge suv. We bought the bring it in empty option for $70.00 so all in with at least one tank of gas were at $490.00. It's big enough to haul about 7 or 8 people but I laid the back seats flat and thought we might go camping next week if the weather gets better.

Bill
March of this year we had a rental for an intermediate SUV. We ended up getting a Mazda 9, which is no one's idea of an intermediate, it's the larget SUV Maxda makes. If this happens again I would immediately turn it back and ask for the smaller vehicle. It was overkill for tne two of us, took more gas, and was more difficult to manuver and park.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
March of this year we had a rental for an intermediate SUV. We ended up getting a Mazda 9, which is no one's idea of an intermediate, it's the larget SUV Maxda makes. If this happens again I would immediately turn it back and ask for the smaller vehicle. It was overkill for tne two of us, took more gas, and was more difficult to manuver and park.
I thought the same thing as I was looking for a parking spot but my wife and I are very skilled drivers and both drive suv's as daily drivers so it is not a problem. The last time we went to Waianapanapa we couldn't stay as long as we wanted. This big Dodge might be our new camper for a night or two so we can hang out depending on the weather.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I thought the same thing as I was looking for a parking spot but my wife and I are very skilled drivers and both drive suv's as daily drivers so it is not a problem. The last time we went to Waianapanapa we couldn't stay as long as we wanted. This big Dodge might be our new camper for a night or two so we can hang out depending on the weather.

Bill
Both dh and I drive SUVs, so that wasn't the issue (even though I probably made it sound like it was). It was just more car than we needed.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I think it pays to reserve early. We have a Hertz May rental for a Jeep Compass for 18 days for $679. It can be done...if you do it early (say a year or so in advance).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think it pays to reserve early. We have a Hertz May rental for a Jeep Compass for 18 days for $679. It can be done...if you do it early (say a year or so in advance).
I usually book as soon as I have the flights booked. So a year, or more, wouldn't work for me.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I usually book as soon as I have the flights booked. So a year, or more, wouldn't work for me.
Why wouldn't it work? Take a guess as to your dates. One thing nice about (most) car rentals is that you can cancel for no fee. The worst that can happen is they they charge you the new going rates it you need to rebook your vehicle. But then you are no worse off than you would have been if you waited until your flights were booked.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Why wouldn't it work? Take a guess as to your dates. One thing nice about (most) car rentals is that you can cancel for no fee. The worst that can happen is they they charge you the new going rates it you need to rebook your vehicle. But then you are no worse off than you would have been if you waited until your flights were booked.
Well sure I could take a wild ass guess, but for instance for 2018 we ended up flying a day earlier than planned because of flight scheduling. Since I usually book a flight as soon as they are available, I'm fine with waiting until then to book the car. And since I've found the sweet spot for pricing to be about 6 months out, it works..................for me. If you do better booking more than a year out, great. How many times do you end up cancelling and re-booking?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We need a mini van as we have my daughters family coming with all the baby equipment. For June in Maui it is 727 for 2 weeks.
We use auto slash so it could change. Don't usually rent mini vans so can't compare.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Occasionally I get our car through the rock or kids portals. A few years ago my best Hawaii rental car was through rock.

Another thing that comes to mind regarding mini van vrs suv is that this Dodge Journey I'm driving seats seven and has the setup for car seats. It also has a roof rack so if a person had some rope they could tie stuff to the roof rack.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Occasionally I get our car through the rock or kids portals. A few years ago my best Hawaii rental car was through rock.

I was using my smartphone and it seemed to have auto corrected RCI into rock and II into kids. :wall:

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Check SFX Exchange > Travel for your car rental. I don't know if you have to be a member. The prices are very reasonable in comparison with every other site.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check SFX Exchange > Travel for your car rental. I don't know if you have to be a member. The prices are very reasonable in comparison with every other site.
Is what you see, what you get? In other words, it shows taxes and fees as zero in one place and then in another it says total including taxes and fees and it shows the same price. It wants you to pay upfront but the price is a lot lower than what I have booked. What has been your experience?