• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presentation gifts at Kings' Land?

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at Bay Club next month via RCI exchange and I am interested in visiting Kings' land (and their gigantic pools!!) Is the presentation worth to attend? It will be great if they offer free or discounted access to HGVC facilities for a couples of days.....

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to attend to visit Kings Land. You can just take the shuttle over or walk over and check out the whole place. I know people make a big deal about the pools there, but I wasn't overly impressed. I like the pools at the hotel much better. You can use the pools at the hotel by paying a day use fee there. You can also get there by taking the shuttle or by walking/driving over.

hicksville

Reaction score
just got back from there. kingsland is a disorganized mess.
as owners we got 35HH points and a guest got 30k HH points. or we could have gotten some dollars to use at the nearby kings shops or something. nothing really jumped out at us. the guy doing the prese was pretty rude. overall, kingsland was a 'meh' stay for me. you also get a HOLO card which gives you discounts.
make sure to try the lilikoi cheesecake at the "coffee shack" about 30 min south of kona airport and be prepared to not move very fast on the roads around kona.

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
30k HH points is like $90 and is definitely not worth 90 mins of my time in paradise. I was really hoping to get that day pass for free as it's $80 per head and we have six. It could add up really quick~

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
30k HH points is like $90 and is definitely not worth 90 mins of my time in paradise. I was really hoping to get that day pass for free as it's $80 per head and we have six. It could add up really quick~
You can visit the ground, use the restaurants, the spa facilities. The only thing you can't use without the pass is the pools (and you probably could as long as you don't request a towel or use the slides). That said, we stayed overnight at the hotel on one of our visits to the Big Island. My daughters were bored within a few hours.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We really like Kings Land and enjoy the pools there, in fact now that my son is grown we sometimes never use the hotel pools when staying at KL. But i can certainly see the attraction for the large pools at the hotel if you were planning a full day of swimming and sunshine..

As for the presentation, I did not enjoy my last presentation in Hawaii and probably won't do anymore..

I have heard that you can use the KL pools even if your staying at Kohala or Bay Club if you own at KL or are HGVC elite.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
One more comment about the pools at the Hilton hotel property. Usually very crowded.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
My wife and I stayed at Kings' Land for 2 weeks last February. We had previously stayed at Bay Club, but could not get what we wanted there this time. We were in phase 3 (building 24) right next to the smaller pool and loved it. We used the main pool and club facilities several times, but loved the convenience of having the smaller pool so close. It has a waterfall and a small slide and was generally not crowded. We also enjoyed being able to use the facilities at the Hilton Waikoloa Hotel for a change of pace, including being able to charge any food or beverages to our room account.

We did attend the "owners' update" presentation while at KL. We did it deliberately because I had some questions I wanted to ask and the HOLO card discounts saved us over $175 on our Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour alone. We also got 40K HH points. We found the presentation at KL to be the most aggressive and highest pressure encounter we have experienced at any HGVC presentation. The guy just didn't want to take "no" as an answer. We held our ground and after 75 minutes (supposed to be 60) we told him we were leaving. It was actually unpleasant. We were just glad to have the main pool bar next door when we left; to be able to get a drink and "cool down" (lol!).

rabmsn

Reaction score
We are not owners at any HGVC location, but here are my thoughts.

Living in Colorado, my wife I have been taking an annual winter pilgrimage to the islands of Hawaii since 1985. For the last several years we've been going in the month of January. In January of 2014 after spending a couple of weeks on Maui, we traveled to Waikoloa after receiving an HGVC promo. We were able to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village for 5 nights for $600 (including a car and $200 voucher) as long as we attended a sales presentation at Kings' Land. As CanuckTravlr experienced, we too experience a very high pressure presentation. However, we did like the Kings' Land property but cautiously decided to not buy.

In January 2015 we returned to Maui for 3 weeks. While on that trip (for a variety of reasons) we decided to try Kings' Land the next year.

In January 2016 we stayed at Kings' Land for 3 weeks booking our stay at Hilton.com (a 1BR Junior Suite in Phase 2) for $199 per night (AAA rate / no resort charge). We thoroughly enjoyed the stay except for attending an optional sales presentation that again was very high pressure. We did use this presentation to fully explore all the costs of ownership (up front costs, annual fees, assessments and even some reservation costs) and again concluded it made no sense for us.

In January 2017 we returned to Kings' Land (again a 1BR Junior Suite for 3 weeks and booking our stay at Hilton.com). This time we paid the same $199 per night but were assessed the required $25 per night resort charge. We chose to not opt-in to the sales presentation this time.

Next month, January 2018 we will be returning to Kings' Land this time staying in a 1BR Deluxe Suite for a bit more money. The $199 per night AAA rate is still available for a 1BR Junior Suite. We are not planning to attend another sales presentation.

In addition to not spending much more than the annual maintenance fee for a single week stay, by booking this way we get daily maid service that an owner does not get. IOW, IMHO we have found a way to enjoy the Kings' Land facility without the upfront cost of becoming an owner or the potential difficulty and/or financial loss of selling the ownership. We also realize that being able to book Kings' Land at Hilton.com com may not be an option forever.

Our choice may seem strange to all the owners here, but I thought an alternative perspective might be of some interest.

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
Not strange at all. Everyone has different needs and perspectives. I bought at the Bay Club but paid next to nothing on ebay. If I could only have bought at developers price it never would have happened.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think you will be able to book at Kings Land like that for quite some time for a couple of reasons:

1. There are 2 more phases planned until its filled in on both sides of the road up to the golf course. This means there will be plenty of developer owned units that will rent because the high pressure turns off buyers.

2. They are also converting one of the hotel buildings to timeshare, so even more developer owned.

3. There are lots of owners that think its a good benefit to convert their hgvc points to hhonors points, more rental inventory.

I own a resale high point unit. I can stay in one of those jr 1br for 3-4 weeks with my hgvc points, so my cost is $400-$500 a week plus the amortized buy in cost. If I use it 20 years my total cost is about $650 a week, give or take some maint fee increases, cash price will probably rise too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I don't know anything about the price or value of the day pass, however, I value 30k HH points as more like $150. I do that since I have stayed in Hampton Inns using HH points that run $130-150 a night+ tax. I have also stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the high season winter for 50K (it is now 60K) which costs $250-270 a night +tax and a $30 resort fee. In round numbers I usually value 20K HH points as $100. How do you come up with 30K value at $90?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
A further thought on the value of Hilton Honors Points. We use our Hilton Honors points usually to extend a vacation in Hawaii or Las Vegas for a few days, make low cost flight arrangements or connecting timeshare weeks. We value them very much since we are on a fixed income and paying for a hotel is usually not in our budget. We also have taken our Daughter, Son-In-Law and 2 Grandchildren to Washington DC a few years ago for 5 nights in two hotel rooms(we only had to use 4 nights worth of points). At times our daughter has asked to use "Our Extra Points" for her own girlfriend outings like they were not of real value just left over points. We save our points for the next years or future needs since we have saved many thousands of dollars using these points on stays.

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the price or value of the day pass, however, I value 30k HH points as more like $150. I do that since I have stayed in Hampton Inns using HH points that run $130-150 a night+ tax. I have also stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the high season winter for 50K (it is now 60K) which costs $250-270 a night +tax and a $30 resort fee. In round numbers I usually value 20K HH points as $100. How do you come up with 30K value at $90?

I vaguely remembered it was .3 cent per point but cant find the source anymore. AMEX keeps offering big sign on bonus to devalue the hilton points. Also Hilton got rid of the fixed redemption table so the point requirement is floating with season. In general I find it so much harder to use (to get good value) than before......

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never heard of the .3 cent per point value. As I illustrated with the previous examples I gave, I use the cost room that I save with the number of points that I use. Another example is the Hampton Inn in Washington DC which costs $300/night+tax in the summer when we went was 50,000 points per night. However, since I booked 5 nights I had to only pay for 4 nights. The five nights which would have cost $1500+tax cost 200,000 points. Therefore the value was about .75 cent/point, with tax at least .8 cent per point.

I have heard the issue of point redemption floating with season before, however, I have never actual had the issue effect my vacation plans. Winter in Honolulu and summer in Washington DC is high season and I didn't experience a problem with floating point redemption. Of course most of the time I make my vacation plans 9-12 months ahead of time. Where have you had problems with the floating point redemption?