• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Petition to return the name of that new bridge from Mario Cuomo to Tappan Zee

lawren2

Reaction score
I have a pet peeve. Gratuitous name changes of various bridges, tunnels, etc

Last summer in a late night session current NY governor Andrew Cuomo decided the rebuilt Tappan Zee bridge should be named for his father. Mario Cuomo.

There is a petition to take back our historically named Tappan Zee. So named for the Tappan Indians and the dutch settlers in the Westchester and Rockland N Y counties.

Please take the time to sign and share: https://www.change.org/p/the-ny-stat...ians-and-dutch

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I did. And I agree about naming things after politicians of any stripe.
I've only crossed it 5x in my life, and it'll be the Tappan Zee, regardless.

In Alaska, they properly changed Mount McKinley to Denali (as it was known locally).

In Florida, they properly changed Cape Kennedy (1963-1973) back to Cape Canaveral
...the third oldest surviving European place name in the US.

Many don't know that the Florida Turnpike was renamed the Ronald Reagan Turnpike.
The Turnpike Authority only put up a few little signs at the ends.
Sorry, it is, and always will be, the Florida Turnpike (a/k/a Main Street, Florida).

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I did. And I agree about naming things after politicians of any stripe.
I've only crossed it 5x in my life, and it'll be the Tappan Zee, regardless.

In Alaska, they properly changed Mount McKinley to Denali (as it was known locally).

In Florida, they properly changed Cape Kennedy (1963-1973) back to Cape Canaveral
...the third oldest surviving European place name in the US.

Many don't know that the Florida Turnpike was renamed the Ronald Reagan Turnpike.
The Turnpike Authority only put up a few little signs at the ends.
Sorry, it is, and always will be, the Florida Turnpike (a/k/a Main Street, Florida).

Ok Talent, I 'll bite,

What are the other two surviving European Place Names?

Thanks.

Richard

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have signed it already. It has been circulating on Facebook. It will always be the Tappan Zee Bridge to me.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have a pet peeve. Gratuitous name changes of various bridges, tunnels, etc

Last summer in a late night session current NY governor Andrew Cuomo decided the rebuilt Tappan Zee bridge should be named for his father. Mario Cuomo.

There is a petition to take back our historically named Tappan Zee. So named for the Tappan Indians and the dutch settlers in the Westchester and Rockland N Y counties.

Please take the time to sign and share: https://www.change.org/p/the-ny-stat...ians-and-dutch

Where in Rockland do you live? I am originally from Clarkstown. (born in the Bronx in 1956 but moved there when I was 3 years old)

lawren2

Reaction score
I am a Queens transplant and have lived in Clarkstown for about 22 years.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in PA but do some work in the Hudson Valley. I’ll say I saw this coming. I don’t have strong feelings either way.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I have the same pet peeve. Here on the left coast, my beef is with renaming San Jose airport (SJC) into Mineta San José (notice the fancy pants diacritical mark over the e). Now, I have no beef with Norman Mineta; I'm sure he was a fine Transportation Secretary. But I'm sorry, SJC is and always will be San Jose.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not like that the Queen Charlotte Islands name was changed a few years ago.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yep, I have the same pet peeve. Here on the left coast, my beef is with renaming San Jose airport (SJC) into Mineta San José (notice the fancy pants diacritical mark over the e). Now, I have no beef with Norman Mineta; I'm sure he was a fine Transportation Secretary. But I'm sorry, SJC is and always will be San Jose.
I disliked it when they renamed the Santa Ana/Orange Country airport John Wayne Airport. Also my dh's family weren't thrilled when National Airport in D.C. was renamed Reagan.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Ok Talent, I 'll bite,
What are the other two surviving European Place Names?

The citation for that comment is in the Wikipedia article as Note 1:

Florida was named earlier, April 2, 1513, by Ponce de Leon, whose men also named Las Tortugas, now Dry Tortugas. From the account by Spanish historian Antonio de Herrera y Tordesillas, published in 1601.[7]

Footnote "7" refers to this source:
Stewart, George (1945). Names on the Land: An Historical Account of Place-Naming in the United States. New York: Random House. pp. 11–13.

So, it seems the author claims that the oldest European place-names were from the Spanish for (1) Florida, (2) Las Tortugas, and (3) Cape Canaveral. Not having read the Stewart source material, I cannot say if that is correct.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is this petition open solely to NY state residents or to anyone?

I signed it, and I live in Florida.
But I have crossed it several times while touring and visiting relates.

lawren2

Reaction score
https://www.change.org/p/12671107/u...42984&l=32_HTML&u=35304060&mid=7259882&jb=118

Petition update

We Are Being Heard. Many big updates!
yAfFYKIaxtYmtJK-128x128-noPad.jpg

Monroe Mann
New York, NY
Nov 22, 2017 — Good Morning Chimpan Zees!
(A woman on the petition wrote that as a child, they'd ride over the Tappan Zee bridge elatedly screaming, "We're going over the Chimpanzee!" Super cute! Whoever wrote that, can you email me, or post another comment? My email can be found via a web search.)

1. NEW ARTICLE: Attached to this update is a new article that came out this morning in the Journal News. This time, not a news report, but rather an in-depth column that includes a very long and nicely edited video interview with me by the TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE! Haha, it's called, "Mann v. Cuomo", written by Dave Wilson, in a column called, "Tax Watch".

2. WE HAVE LEGISLATIVE SUPPORT! First, this is what Orangetown Supervisor Chris Day recently wrote on our petition:

"As the incoming elected Supervisor of Orangetown, where the Tappan Zee Bridge makes landfall and home to Tappan Zee High School and the hamlet of Tappan, I firmly call upon the Governor and Legislature to reverse their cover-of-darkness decision and reinstate the Tappan Zee name for the new bridge. Whether the bridge carries "Malcolm Wilson" or "Mario Cuomo" as part of its name is irrelevant - it must, to honor our history and the wishes of the residents in our region, also retain "Tappan Zee" within its name. This is an easy fix and implementing it would show a level of respect for our residents who drive this bridge on a daily basis."

Thank you Chris for being brave and for supporting what we all know is right! And will someone in Yorktown please take this fine gentleman out for lunch? :D

Plus, Chris has support in higher places too. WE HAVE AN ALBANY LEGISLATOR NOW WILLING TO BEGIN DRAFTING LEGISLATION TO RETURN THE TAPPAN ZEE NAME! Assemblyman Kevin Byrne of the 94th Assembly District says he has begun work on drafting a new bill, to be introduced in Albany in January, to return the original name. Read all about it here in this letter to the editor that he wrote a couple days ago to the Yorktown Patch: https://patch.com/new-york/yorktown-somers/letter-editor-rename-new-cuomo-bridge

3. A SONG ABOUT THE TAPPAN ZEE: One of our petition signers, Clifton Cloud, who works for Cipriani's in Manhattan, shared with me a song he wrote last year called, "Rolling on the Tappan Zee". I listened to it (for quality assurance haha), and as a musician and singer myself who has recorded albums, I have to say, it's well-recorded, catchy, and worthy of a listen. Most importantly, it's great to hear the Tappan Zee name in song! And if Clifton somehow becomes a rock star as a result of my sharing this (hey, ya never know!), I have negotiated with him an agreement to share a significant portion of his future rock star earnings with charity, and also with NY historical preservation organizations. This way, your support of his song is not just a promotion of his song, but rather, also charity and NY historical preservation.

Listen to it here https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Clifton Cloud
You can actually hear the construction of the bridge in the way the song is written, and it paints a beautiful picture of our great new Tappan Zee! Post your comments on the discussion board!

Also, if YOU have any art or music about the Tappan Zee that you would like me to share with this wonderful audience, please let me know and if it passes my quality assurance/family-friendly test, I will promote your work too supporting our cause!

Here are the lyrics to "Rolling on the Tappan Zee":
Yeah yeah yeah
Look up to the sky
crossing over the river
see the iron fly

And the water ain't likely to take it
easy on the Tappan Zee
And the storms they'll come try and shake it
Rollin on the Tappan

Yeah Yea Yea
A cut up to your friends
you're coming from Rockland
Good to see you my friend.

Riff

Yeah yea yea
New Amsterdam
you're sure looking pretty
We're riding again

easy on the Tappan Zee
And the storms they'll come try and shake it
Rollin on the Tappan

easy on the Tappan Zee
and the storms they'll come try and brake it
Rollin on the Tappan

4. FINALLY, I HAVE STARTED THREE NEW RELATED PETITIONS YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Given the incredibly success of this Tappan Zee petition to date, I have started a few other related petitions that I believe will also help our Tappan Zee cause:

1. TRIBORO BRIDGE: https://www.change.org/p/new-york-s...ginal-triboro-name-that-bridge-is-our-history

2. WE WANT OUR BRIDGES BACK: https://www.change.org/p/andrew-cuomo-we-want-our-bridges-back

3. 50-YEAR/REFERENDUM PROPOSAL: https://www.change.org/p/legislator...s-parks-must-be-decided-by-50-year-referendum

I believe that these three new petitions will help get more word out about what we are trying to do with the Tappan Zee. I believe through cross-pollination, they each will help the other. If you support any of these other APOLITICAL PRO-NEW YORK / AMERICAN HISTORY initiatives, please also sign, and share with your friends and family. My hope is that we can take this issue national and get the entire country to support what we are trying to do to protect the history of this amazing state and even more amazing nation.

Needless to say, be sure to actually read each full petition before signing, and remember that signing one does not mean you agree with, or need to sign any others. Each petition stands on its own, but together, I think they can be an even more powerful force.

Thank you again for all your incredible help and support!
Dr. Monroe Mann, PhD, Esq, MBA
Petitioner in Chief

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it called Tappan Zee in the first place?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
From Wikipedia --
The Tappan Zee (also Tappan Sea or Tappaan Zee) is a natural widening of the Hudson River... [The area] forms something of a natural lake on the Hudson, about 10 mi north of Manhattan... It is crossed by the Tappan Zee Bridge, connecting Nyack and Tarrytown.

"The Dutch called this point the Tappan Zee — Tappan probably for a group of Indians (The Tappan sub-tribe of the Delaware) and Zee meaning "sea" in Dutch." Explorer Henry Hudson entered the Tappan Zee on September 14, 1609. The Tappan Zee is mentioned several times in Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" which was set in the vicinity of Tarrytown.

More than you needed to know?

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just right Talent. Neat history and the name should stay.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
What the Efff.... Who knew.

59st Bridge --- > Ed Koch Bridge

Triboro Bridge --- > RFK Bridge

Fugetaboutit!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been away from this town too long. Did not see it on NYPOST.COM

What are they gonna call the new Kosciusko Bridge?