• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

nomoretslt

Reaction score
nomoretslt:

As far as I know, with limited legal real estate knowledge...

A signed "special warranty deed" is legal proof that you own it

A signed "quit-claim deed", is legal proof that you don't own it anymore.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

Mystic Dunes Owner-no-more....I just read thru the document, and it is releasing us as owners of the property....not quite the same as a "quit claim", but should have the same outcome....I'm not worried.

Congrats on being locked out of your on-line account. :cheer:
You too mjhines! :whooopie:

Hope to be joining you soon.

MellyMel

Reaction score
nomoretslt:

As far as I know, with limited legal real estate knowledge...

A signed "special warranty deed" is legal proof that you own it

A signed "quit-claim deed", is legal proof that you don't own it anymore.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.
Oh Joy!! Oh Joy!!:banana::banana:

Finally received my paperwork for my deedback to Diamond Resorts!

My timeline so far:

July 27, 2017: Stumbled across this thread while doing a google search on how to get rid of a Diamond Resorts timeshare

July 31, 2017, 2:00 p.m.: Following the instructions from somewhere in this thread, I emailed DRI (lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com) with the subject line of 'Inventory Takeback Request"

July 31, 2017: Received an e-mail from DRI indicating they do not have a voluntary surrender program, but relinquishment requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and after reviewing my account, they have approved my request. I do not have a mortgage or any outstanding fees or dues. Was told I would have to pay $250 for transfer fees (fine by me).

August 11, 2017: started getting anxious, as I had not received any paperwork (the original e-mail did say it could take up to 60 days to receive documents), so e-mailed loss mitigation again to ask for more info. They responded a few hours later saying it could take up to 60 BUSINESS days.

October 11, 2017: Received the documents via FedEx. 4 sheets of paper total. One letter of explanation; a two-page document (special warranty deed) to be filled out and notarized; a one page letter of instruction. Also, a pre-paid FedEx envelope.

I cannot express how relieved I am to be almost done with this. thank you to ALL that have posted such helpful information here. I'll post again when I can no longer log into my DRI account.

So I just stumbled across this post a few days ago, and emailed DRI that same night. Today I received that same email that they have approved my request and are forwarding the info to the title company. Now the long, long wait begins. Hoping to complete all this before my maintenance fees become due. I can see the light. Just barely, but at least I see it.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
So I just stumbled across this post a few days ago, and emailed DRI that same night. Today I received that same email that they have approved my request and are forwarding the info to the title company. Now the long, long wait begins. Hoping to complete all this before my maintenance fees become due. I can see the light. Just barely, but at least I see it.

It will seem like forever waiting for those documents, although others got them via e-mail rather quickly. It all depends on your resort and whether you have a deeded week or just points (from what I can gather from the info here). Mine took 2 1/2 months or 54 business days. Personally I would not worry about paying next year's fees. You should be getting your documents right before the new year. It will be more work for you to get your dues back.

I was a little late betting my docs into fed ex, as we couldn't get it notarized right away and then we were away. But they on their way....now will be checking my checking account to see when the check is cashed...just another step closer.

WMOLLOY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI and Marriott
We are in the process of the deed back program (15K DRI points). Some of our 2017 points were used to schedule two weeks with Interval International in 2018. The maintenance fees etc were already paid on these points...will these weeks be lost when our account is closed w/DRI?? Thank You Bill

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Check was cashed yesterday. One more step to go (I can still log in to my account and "see" things).
Updated timeline:

July 27, 2017: Stumbled across this thread while doing a google search on how to get rid of a Diamond Resorts timeshare

July 31, 2017, 2:00 p.m.: Following the instructions from somewhere in this thread, I emailed DRI (lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com) with the subject line of 'Inventory Takeback Request"

July 31, 2017: Received an e-mail from DRI indicating they do not have a voluntary surrender program, but relinquishment requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and after reviewing my account, they have approved my request. I do not have a mortgage or any outstanding fees or dues. Was told I would have to pay $250 for transfer fees (fine by me).

August 11, 2017: started getting anxious, as I had not received any paperwork (the original e-mail did say it could take up to 60 days to receive documents), so e-mailed loss mitigation again to ask for more info. They responded a few hours later saying it could take up to 60 BUSINESS days.

October 11, 2017: Received the documents via FedEx. 4 sheets of paper total. One letter of explanation; a two-page document (special warranty deed) to be filled out and notarized; a one page letter of instruction. Also, a pre-paid FedEx envelope.

October 27 & October 30th 2017: Sent back notarized documents/DRI received documents

November 3, 2017: Check was cashed

Hoping by mid-November that my account will be closed and will then check Orange County comptoller's website to see when deed is transferred.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We are in the process of the deed back program (15K DRI points). Some of our 2017 points were used to schedule two weeks with Interval International in 2018. The maintenance fees etc were already paid on these points...will these weeks be lost when our account is closed w/DRI?? Thank You Bill

If you check back on this threads, I believe a few people did the same thing...if you paid your dues for 2017 it should be okay. I've never done the II thing, but once they are deposited there, they are more or less off of you DRI account, correct?

Kellyb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resorts - US Collection Points
Do you own points ? I want to turn mine in as well and it truly has become a financial hardship and am hopeful that they will at least take it back.

Boa67

Reaction score
I am so thankful I found this thread. Our experience has been amazing. We sent our first e-mail on July 17, 2017. Our reasoning for wanting out was simply "I want to make this voluntary surrender because I am no longer able to travel much due to health problems. I hope you will be able to help me complete this transfer."

Two days later we received an e-mail back from Loss Mitigation saying they approved the request. On July 24, we received the paperwork, a "Mutual Release and Termination of Purchase and Security Agreement" for each contract we had (one contract for 2,000 points and another for 3,000 points). We signed them and got them notarized, mailing them back in the envelopes they provided two days later. We sent two $250 checks with them.

We had heard nothing, so we called them (Loss Mitigation Department at 800-279-7764) on November 1. They informed us that the account was closed on August 11. So, the whole thing took less than one month and cost $500. We had seriously considered hiring a lawyer to try to get us out of DRI. We are very happy and grateful to everyone who shared their experiences on this board!

CC Rider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None now
I stumbled on TUG back in late August. On August 30, I emailed loss mitigation requesting deedback consideration. I received a reply on September 1 that 4th quarter fees must be paid first before any consideration was given.

The same day, we sent a check and, on September 5, I called the 877# and they confirmed payment was received and no further action was needed at this time. On October 4, I became concerned no further communication was received so I called the 877# again. The rep informed me I should have replied to the original email stating my fees were paid and up to date. I advised I was told on 9/4 no further action was need from me. The rep advised me to reply to the original email, which I did a few minutes later.

About an hour later, I received an email stating my buyback has been accepted and the fee is $250. Documents were on the way to expedite the buyback. We received the documents on 10/17 and priority mailed them, with a check, on 10/18. On 10/30, our check was cashed and, today, our "membership" has been terminated!

Thanks so much for the valuable service you provide.

kbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so thankful to find this thread! I emailed DRI using the terminology given in this thread, and giving the simple reasoning that health problems do not allow us to travel as we once did. Within two days I had an email stating that they will accept our voluntary surrender. Within two weeks we received a simple form which we signed and had notorized and sent back. We haven’t heard back, but I consider it done. I feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders! I used the points each year, but I would much prefer to vacation other ways with that money, and felt stuck. Thank you TUG!

JRapley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii
Hello to all,

Came across this website while looking for options of being released from our DRI Hawaii Points collection.

I just sent in a request using a template that was posted on this website today, November 11/17. Just received an email from DR saying they will be in contact with us in 1-2 business days. Hopefully this will work still. We are deeding back 4500 points which I don't think is a lot but it will free up our options for future vacations.

Hoping for some good luck and thanks to the many posters with comments and suggestions.

Thank you TUG.

JRapley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii
A question for all out there.

With 2018 MF's fast approaching, Should I pay them up front or wait to hear from DR about whether or not they will accept my deedback? I was just on DR's website looking for how much I owe for 2018 MF's and it has yet to be determined. Either way I will probably have to pay it whether we are accepted or not but would like to go into this with no issues.

Thanks.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
A question for all out there.

With 2018 MF's fast approaching, Should I pay them up front or wait to hear from DR about whether or not they will accept my deedback? I was just on DR's website looking for how much I owe for 2018 MF's and it has yet to be determined. Either way I will probably have to pay it whether we are accepted or not but would like to go into this with no issues.

Thanks.

Good question. Dues are usually due in January, correct? Not sure if it is different for points vs. deed. I would say wait and see right now. It will be easier to pay a pro-rated if it takes a few months for a deed back....will be harder to get back those dues if you pre-pay. Since it is a holiday today, you will probably hear back by Monday or Tuesday.

Good luck!

elsmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
The financial dept apparently Voluntary Surrender Program:

In order to qualify, the HOA (MFs) must be up-to-date and the owner must have a zero balance on the loan.

To start this process, the owner must send an email to: lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com and or leadcollector@diamondresorts.com with the subject line stating: Inventory Takeback.

In the email itself the owner must include:
-Resort Name
-Owner(s) Name(s)
-Account Number
-Inventory owned (ie. weeks, points, etc)
-any other important information regarding the deed

within 7-10 business days, the Diamond Resorts will send an action required correspondence, where the owner will have 15 days to return.

Note: the owner is responsible for any fees associated with the paper work, such as notary, postage etc.

Edited to add phone number: You can call 877-497-7521, option 1 English, then 3 is direct to Loss Mitigation.
This information is still accurate. I just got notified that my TS has been accepted and I'm so happy to not have this hanging over my head any longer.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
This information is still accurate. I just got notified that my TS has been accepted and I'm so happy to not have this hanging over my head any longer.

:banana:

Excellent!! So you are just starting the process? If you have a deeded week, check out my timeline....it can take a while to receive you documents from the title company. If you have points, it may be quicker.

Congrats!

MellyMel

Reaction score
It will seem like forever waiting for those documents, although others got them via e-mail rather quickly. It all depends on your resort and whether you have a deeded week or just points (from what I can gather from the info here). Mine took 2 1/2 months or 54 business days. Personally I would not worry about paying next year's fees. You should be getting your documents right before the new year. It will be more work for you to get your dues back.

I was a little late betting my docs into fed ex, as we couldn't get it notarized right away and then we were away. But they on their way....now will be checking my checking account to see when the check is cashed...just another step closer.

It's good to know that it actually does get processed. Your timeline is very helpful. Now all I have to do is be patient. =)

MellyMel

Reaction score
Do you own points ? I want to turn mine in as well and it truly has become a financial hardship and am hopeful that they will at least take it back.

I own a deeded property, but from the looks of things, owners of points are having success as well. Good Luck!

JRapley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii
Hello to all,

Came across this website while looking for options of being released from our DRI Hawaii Points collection.

I just sent in a request using a template that was posted on this website today, November 11/17. Just received an email from DR saying they will be in contact with us in 1-2 business days. Hopefully this will work still. We are deeding back 4500 points which I don't think is a lot but it will free up our options for future vacations.

Hoping for some good luck and thanks to the many posters with comments and suggestions.

Thank you TUG.

Here is an update.

Received an email from Diamond saying that they will take back my points ownership and that they will sending out a mutual release and termination agreement in the mail in 15 to 20 business days. Being in Canada I am hoping to see them between 20 and 25 business days. I sent my email On Nov 11 (Saturday and Stat Holiday in Canada) and received an email on Monday Nov 13/17 at 13:00hrs. Quite quick I thought.

I remember seeing a post in here from some fellow Canadians who have gone throw this process and will be looking back for more info. If you are from Canada and have any insight or info that I may need to know going further, please let me know. Going forward I will up date my progress to help others who are going forward with this.

Cheers!

JRapley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii
Good question. Dues are usually due in January, correct? Not sure if it is different for points vs. deed. I would say wait and see right now. It will be easier to pay a pro-rated if it takes a few months for a deed back....will be harder to get back those dues if you pre-pay. Since it is a holiday today, you will probably hear back by Monday or Tuesday.

Good luck!
I received an email saying my contract/points will be taken back. No mention of 2018 MF's. Looking on my account with DR, I see that last year our invoices for 2017 MF's were not posted till Dec 1, 2016. So I have a few weeks to see what they would be and does not have to be paid till Jan 1, 2018. After that I know they do charge interest...uggh!

Freedom17

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI
i have sent request to DRI Loss Mitigation on Nov 20 and got ticket number within a hour. But no one contact me by phone or email since. 4 days already. I called 877-497-7521 and 800-279-7764 today. No one answer the phone. No greeting, just ask for name of person to contact. If i press 0, it just hangup.
Is this normal??? Did DRI changed the phone #???

MellyMel

Reaction score
i have sent request to DRI Loss Mitigation on Nov 20 and got ticket number within a hour. But no one contact me by phone or email since. 4 days already. I called 877-497-7521 and 800-279-7764 today. No one answer the phone. No greeting, just ask for name of person to contact. If i press 0, it just hangup.
Is this normal??? Did DRI changed the phone #???

I would wait just a bit. Given that this is a major holiday week, I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the employees took a few days, or even the whole week off. My guess is that processing requests will resume Monday.

MellyMel

Reaction score
I received an email saying my contract/points will be taken back. No mention of 2018 MF's. Looking on my account with DR, I see that last year our invoices for 2017 MF's were not posted till Dec 1, 2016. So I have a few weeks to see what they would be and does not have to be paid till Jan 1, 2018. After that I know they do charge interest...uggh!
I’m going to wait as well. Like everyone on the thread has been saying, I think the chance of getting any MF back after paying it is slim to none, so I’d rather risk being late than paying it. Fingers crossed that they will process it fast enough. I’m still waiting but it’s only been about 3 weeks.

kbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so thankful to find this thread! I emailed DRI using the terminology given in this thread, and giving the simple reasoning that health problems do not allow us to travel as we once did. Within two days I had an email stating that they will accept our voluntary surrender. Within two weeks we received a simple form which we signed and had notorized and sent back. We haven’t heard back, but I consider it done. I feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders! I used the points each year, but I would much prefer to vacation other ways with that money, and felt stuck. Thank you TUG!
I can no longer log into Diamond. I’ve never been so happy to be rejected!!,

Freedom17

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI
I would wait just a bit. Given that this is a major holiday week, I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the employees took a few days, or even the whole week off. My guess is that processing requests will resume Monday.
You are right. they were on holiday last week. Called again today. Able to talk to the staff. 480+ emails ahead of me (my email was sent on Nov 20). They assigned a contact for me. She has 80+ emails ahead of me. Ned to wait for a week or more.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Tears of joy and happy dancing!!! I am locked out of my on-line account finally!! Was still able to get in yesterday and was going to call today. Checked just now before picking up the phone!!!!
Updated timeline:

October 27 & October 30th 2017: Sent back notarized documents/DRI received documents

November 3, 2017: Check was cashed

November 29, 2017: Locked out of on-line account

So....a good four months for a deeded week to be taken back.

Thank goodness for this thread. Did not want to go thru the hassle of giving away on my own.

Keep the faith!!! It can be done in most cases.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.....thanks Brian and TUG!