• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Aulani advice

Stevo58

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm currently staying at Aulani with wife and 2yo and visiting from Australia. We love it in Hawaii and idea of a timeshare is very appealing. Especially with a young family.

Met with a DVC rep who advised that a point costs 171, sure you guys know this so will stop there. Did some reading and found out about the resale market which is a much more viable option. Seems there are a few options for us:

1. Buy Aulani resale. This gives us home booking advantage though I've read that the studios book up fast. We would be looking at a late September October date for holiday so perhaps there will still be availability if we are a couple of days late to book.

2. Buy SSI or OKW with more points then look to rent a 1 bed villa after 7 months. We will go to WDW every now and again but it's a 25 hour trip hence focus on Hawaii. This option makes a lot of sense economically as break even would be achieved after 3-4 trips. Via DVC and what we are paying ATM estimate this to be 10 trips.

3. Look at other vacation clubs. Haven't done too much research here but reckon there must be cheaper options than DVC. Like the idea of Disney for young family. Aulani is away from the hustle of Waikiki which is good from family perspective.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. It's a fairly big financial decision so want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Figure the sensible thing to do is buy Aulani at resale, would be disappointed if we missed out on the studios.

Thanks

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Visit next door at marriott koolina. Much less crowded and cheaper on the resale market than a comparable 2br at aulani. You can lock off your 2br at marriott and stay one week in a studio then the other week in a 1br. The maintenance fee for 2016 was under $2050 for the 2br unit.

Marriott koolina does not have the lazy river and day care that aulani has. But the resort is more laid back and less congested.
You have to weigh the pros and cons of each. Disclaimer I own at both aulani and marriott and a host of others. For me having both aulani and marriott koolina is the best of both worlds.

If you have any other questions just ask away. Btw if you want to come over here to marriott koolina i am here till sunday then on monday i will be staying at aulani. Would be willing to talk to you and help with your questions. Also there is a free shuttle around the resort if you dont want to walk over from aulani.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Consider other timeshares first before buying DVC

3. Look at other vacation clubs. Haven't done too much research here but reckon there must be cheaper options than DVC. Like the idea of Disney for young family. Aulani is away from the hustle of Waikiki which is good from family perspective.

Each system has it's PROs and CONs and it's easy to rent. Research and visit other timeshares in Hawaii. Also include Maui, the Big Island and Kauai.

Also figure out what you prefer. I consider Aulani a destination resort where the resort is a destination in itself with superior hotel amenities, physical setting, and on-property activities, not merely a place to sleep.

You can also buy a small number of DVC resale points to book a few nights at Aulani every year or book a longer stay every two to three years (via banking and borrowing). However the lower point DVC rooms without a view (standard view and island garden view) book up first especially during peak travel periods (reflected in DVC's Point Chart under Premier Season and Magic Season point requirements).

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check out the other timeshare systems in Hawaii. Aulani is one of the most expensive and it is very appealing now while you have a young child, but eventually, you may prefer a quieter, less chaotic place. No matter which timeshare type you buy, you'll be able to exchange to a timeshare in Orlando. You don't need DVC to visit there.

Some of the other timeshares in Hawaii to look at: Wyndham, Marriott, HGVC, Shell Vacation Club, Worldmark, and some others. Some of these have properties on more than one island, which is nice if you like to vary your vacation a bit.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend that you too a closer look at HGVC. Hgvc has several options for Hawaii and the buyin is cheaper than DVC.

Though I don't actually know I would claim that Hgvc on Hawaii also has cheaper MF than DvC.

What you could do is buy HGvC in vegas(cheapest MF) and use those points at HGVC HI. At most places you would be able to book 9months out.

smmatrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family and I were also at Aulani days ago and had a wonderful vacation. I posted on this forums questions about buying into DVC while there. Here's the thread:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246168&highlight=aulani

I'm now a proud owner of 200 points DVC Aulani, passed ROFR, closing in a few days. I'm also a Worldmark owner (purchased resale as well), also popular down under where you live with several resorts. DVC ownership compliments the Worldmark membership greatly, but doesn't compete. DVC is in a class of its own and my two toddlers sure think so as well :)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Walk don't run

Atlantis is coming to KoOlina so don't give all your future $$$ to Disney ;) - http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...resorts-expanding-to-hawaii-with-first-u.html

Lots of folks buy a timeshare without understanding the PROs and CONs. Timesharing is not for everyone and not something you want to jump into without understanding how it works. The one-time Purchase price is just one factor to consider. The ongoing ever increasing fees are just as important to consider. It's also not like booking a hotel room. These are prepaid vacation so you'll be competing with others to book your time. There are only a fixed number of units for any given week and sometimes way too many folks trying to compete for the same limited number of rooms at the same time. High Demands areas and/or peak travel periods will be booked up first. So owners that can’t plan ahead in order to reserve a unit as soon as booking window begins, may not find availability during these peak travel times.

Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing.
This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

Also, don't base your purchase decision simply on the brand name or what you might have hear at a timeshare presentation.
I suggest that you take some time to research before you act on anything you heard from the sales guys. With any timeshare system try to learn as much as you can on TUG ("reality" vs "fantasy"). Determine if they offer resorts that meet your needs (in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc) and read the reviews. One size doesn't fit all. You'll have to decide what's best for you and your family.

Last edited:

Stevo58

Reaction score
Whoa thanks for all the replies. It's certainly a decision we won't rush. Met up with Frank last night and learned a lot. Definitely need to understand the other options better. Aulani has been great fun but as someone pointed out, circumstances can change. I hadn't realised that points can be rented relatively cheaply so perhaps this option or a small contract is a good option.

The other thing Frank pointed out was the resale week possibility at Marriott. We could convert the 2 bedroom lock out for two weeks, use every other year and look to exchange every now and again with another resort. This of course would require better planning on our part. Looks like 2 bedders sell for around 7k so by my reckoning we would breakeven after a couple of trips.

I briefly met with Marriott today who explained their points system. Seems that 2500 points yearly would be similar to an other year resale week. These would cost around 30k. He was trying to sell me 5000 points at 63k discounted down to 52k. He reckoned it would take 8 years to break even here, I reckon it would take a lot longer.

Some good food for thought anyway. Have really enjoyed Aulani and off to Maui tomorrow, hear there is a good broker there so will have a chat.

thanks again for your help.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Visit next door at marriott koolina. Much less crowded and cheaper on the resale market than a comparable 2br at aulani. You can lock off your 2br at marriott and stay one week in a studio then the other week in a 1br. The maintenance fee for 2016 was under $2050 for the 2br unit.

Marriott koolina does not have the lazy river and day care that aulani has. But the resort is more laid back and less congested.
You have to weigh the pros and cons of each. Disclaimer I own at both aulani and marriott and a host of others. For me having both aulani and marriott koolina is the best of both worlds.

If you have any other questions just ask away. Btw if you want to come over here to marriott koolina i am here till sunday then on monday i will be staying at aulani. Would be willing to talk to you and help with your questions. Also there is a free shuttle around the resort if you dont want to walk over from aulani.

I am thinking of buying at Marriott Ko Olina and at Disney Aulani. Can you share a little about what influenced your decisions to buy both? Did you buy DVC on the resale market? Do you ever go to other Disney vacation clubs?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem booking Aulani with my Orlando DVC points even close in to my travel date. That is not the case with MKO, Marriott Ko Olina. It is much more difficult to get into Ko Olina if you don't book a year ahead of time.

I have stayed at both resorts and I would never buy at Aulani--even resale. The Ko Olina resort is literally right down the block from Aulani. The landscaping is better, the rooms are nicer, the restaurants are eons better the staff is nicer. It is just a better vacation experience in my humble opinion.

But Aulani works on a point system which can be easier to manage. What I didn't like at Aulani was the attitude of the Cast members (the staff), the lack of theming in the rooms and the lack of handicapped accessible parking. For my buck I would never buy Aulani but that is only my opinion and I am sure you will hear others here.

Edited to add: If you want to go to Aulani less expensively, buy an Orlando based DVC timeshare and trade your points at 7 months for Aulani. You will save on your buy-in price and your maintenance fees. I don't own at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort but, for your purposes, that would be where my vacation dollars would go. If you buy a resale Saratoga Springs Contract, with enough points to get you into the room and view you want at Aulani, you will be a happy DVC owner

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If you buy a resale Saratoga Springs Contract, with enough points to get you into the room and view you want at Aulani, you will be a happy DVC owner

If you are looking to book hotel room, standard view and to some extent island view it will be difficult without home resort priority. Also holidays, summers, spring break and whenever school is out will be a little tough at 7 months.

There have been posts about how it has been hard to book for popular times at mouseowners.

If you go off peak and are looking for ocean view 1 bedroom it will be easier to book. Not as easy to book at all times as icydog is saying without home resort priority.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Frank and icydog...what resort is right next to Aulani? Isn't that also a Marriott? Been to Aulani twice in January. Loved it so much. And love that quiet side of the island. We've had standard view studios, ocean view 1 bedroom, island view 1 bedroom. Would not waste points on ocean view again, as you can see the ocean from so many spots in the resort. We used our Saratoga Springs DVC points mostly. LOL...have owned Saratoga since they opened and never stayed there.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank and icydog...what resort is right next to Aulani? Isn't that also a Marriott? Been to Aulani twice in January. Loved it so much. And love that quiet side of the island. We've had standard view studios, ocean view 1 bedroom, island view 1 bedroom. Would not waste points on ocean view again, as you can see the ocean from so many spots in the resort. We used our Saratoga Springs DVC points mostly. LOL...have owned Saratoga since they opened and never stayed there.
It is now a four seasons resort.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good to know about the oceanview. We are headed there next year. My original plan was to do a 1 bedroom island view for 10 nights. But I made an RCI match to Wyndham Shearwater, so we will do that for a week and then maybe 5 nights at Aulani. I considered changing our view since I needed fewer points, but now I'll just stick to the island view.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Good to know about the oceanview. We are headed there next year. My original plan was to do a 1 bedroom island view for 10 nights. But I made an RCI match to Wyndham Shearwater, so we will do that for a week and then maybe 5 nights at Aulani. I considered changing our view since I needed fewer points, but now I'll just stick to the island view.

The island view can vary. I think it depends on what floor you are on and what side of the resort. Ours was on the 5th floor maybe? And it looked down onto the grassy area where they hold the Starlight Hui luau thing....I'm not sure if they even do that any more. We usually get a standard view studio for the first 2 or 3 nights to save on points. We are tired for the first couple of days anyway from the long non-stop flight from the east coast and usually just stick around the resort those days. Even the standard view was not too bad....after all, we were in Hawaii. I did enjoy the ocean view room we had, but it is a really big points eater. Every area by the elevators has floor to ceiling windows with chairs (if I remember correctly) so you can sit there and enjoy the view.

If you are a DVC member, you don't have to pay for parking either. Otherwise, I think it's $25 or $35/day?

Do you know about the walk to go see the turtles? It is behind the Paradise Cove Luau place that you pass on your way to the Aulani entrance. They aren't the huge turtles, but big.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The island view can vary. I think it depends on what floor you are on and what side of the resort. Ours was on the 5th floor maybe? And it looked down onto the grassy area where they hold the Starlight Hui luau thing....I'm not sure if they even do that any more. We usually get a standard view studio for the first 2 or 3 nights to save on points. We are tired for the first couple of days anyway from the long non-stop flight from the east coast and usually just stick around the resort those days. Even the standard view was not too bad....after all, we were in Hawaii. I did enjoy the ocean view room we had, but it is a really big points eater. Every area by the elevators has floor to ceiling windows with chairs (if I remember correctly) so you can sit there and enjoy the view.

If you are a DVC member, you don't have to pay for parking either. Otherwise, I think it's $25 or $35/day?

Do you know about the walk to go see the turtles? It is behind the Paradise Cove Luau place that you pass on your way to the Aulani entrance. They aren't the huge turtles, but big.
No starlight hui anymore. There is a for fee luau now.

Parking is $37 a night per vehicle. Maybe it was $35 but I don't really pay attention as I stay on points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

smmatrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
As we know, Atlantis is building it's first US based resort, and right next door to Aulani, in the empty lot between Marriott and Aulani. Does anyone know if construction has begun yet?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As we know, Atlantis is building it's first US based resort, and right next door to Aulani, in the empty lot between Marriott and Aulani. Does anyone know if construction has begun yet?
I saw them boring for soils samples a few weeks ago. That is about it. They did demolish the wedding chapel by the beach.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From a Sept 2017 article - http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/big-plans/

The little-known Chinese conglomerate has purchased $569 million of real estate in West Oahu, including the remaining oceanfront land between Aulani and the Beach Villas at Ko Olina. There, the company plans to first build a 1,300-unit Atlantis resort with hotel rooms and timeshares, then two other luxury hotels with a condo complex.

Later, on the border of Ko Olina and Kapolei, the company is considering building a residential subdivision surrounding a golf course. The company estimates a five- to eight-year build-out for its properties.

....Ko Olina’s Atlantis resort is slated to have 800 hotel rooms and 524 residential units, featuring an Aquaventure water park, aquarium and water-themed facilities. “You can swim, you can snorkel, you can sail in the river, you can see the fish … Anything you would expect from the water, you can get at Atlantis,” Yao says. Yao, who is an architect, says Oceanwide is still in the early stages of planning Atlantis but intends to combine contemporary design with Hawaiian cultural elements. It says it is working with local designers and architects.

......Oceanwide plans to build two other luxury hotels and a condo complex on a neighboring 17-acre oceanfront lot near Atlantis, between the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club and the Ko Olina Beach Villas. Oceanwide bought that land next to the Nalu Lagoon for $191 million in December 2015.

Building two hotels adjacent to the immense Atlantis Resort may seem counterintuitive, but Yao insists that the properties will complement each other rather than compete. Atlantis is geared towards Millennials and families, and he says the other hotels can o er quieter and more exclusive vacations. Brands for the two hotels have not been announced.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I saw them boring for soils samples a few weeks ago. That is about it. They did demolish the wedding chapel by the beach.

Oh that is sad, we saw almost daily weddings....but I knew that empty parcel of land was not going to last. All of this build up is going to take away the main reason why I loved Aulani. Although I don't see it getting as crazy as the Wai Ki Ki area. I do remember a Disney employee telling us that one day a water park would be next door.....but he thought Disney was purchasing the land.

Don't know how that small lagoon will accomodate so many more people.

smmatrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh that is sad, we saw almost daily weddings....but I knew that empty parcel of land was not going to last. All of this build up is going to take away the main reason why I loved Aulani. Although I don't see it getting as crazy as the Wai Ki Ki area. I do remember a Disney employee telling us that one day a water park would be next door.....but he thought Disney was purchasing the land.

Don't know how that small lagoon will accomodate so many more people.

As an Aulani DVC owner, I am soooo looking forward to Atlantis being next door. Aulani already has lots of choices for things to do and places to dine, but can you imagine the huge selection we'll have now? Upteen restaurants, more water fun choices for the kids, shopping... just awesome awesome awesome! And, values will go up as a result!! Most Disney resorts are located near their parks. Aulani will now have extended choices... more choices, way more better!!!

nomoretslt

Reaction score
As an Aulani DVC owner, I am soooo looking forward to Atlantis being next door. Aulani already has lots of choices for things to do and places to dine, but can you imagine the huge selection we'll have now? Upteen restaurants, more water fun choices for the kids, shopping... just awesome awesome awesome! And, values will go up as a result!! Most Disney resorts are located near their parks. Aulani will now have extended choices... more choices, way more better!!!

If you say so! :thumbup: It has been a few years since we were there last....I just don't remember how much vacant land there was at the time. I do know that there is a strict island thing about "free parking" for residents or something like that. And that vacant lot was mostly residents parking for free so they can enjoy the surf and the beach....as it should be, they are tax paying residents. I know that the mountains right behind Aulani restricts any further building...just can't do it...hopefully...

I'm not a shopper at all....but more restaurant choices would be great for that area! Was not impressed with Monkey Pods. But we really did love the ABC store deli department. We managed to spend not one dime on food at Aulani our last visit. And this Atlantis thing could force DVC to up their game, right?

smmatrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you say so! :thumbup: It has been a few years since we were there last....I just don't remember how much vacant land there was at the time. I do know that there is a strict island thing about "free parking" for residents or something like that. And that vacant lot was mostly residents parking for free so they can enjoy the surf and the beach....as it should be, they are tax paying residents. I know that the mountains right behind Aulani restricts any further building...just can't do it...hopefully...

I'm not a shopper at all....but more restaurant choices would be great for that area! Was not impressed with Monkey Pods. But we really did love the ABC store deli department. We managed to spend not one dime on food at Aulani our last visit. And this Atlantis thing could force DVC to up their game, right?

The empty lot next to Aulani is quite huge... much larger than the parcel that Aulani sits on. It's always been private and I have never seen locals park anywhere near that parcel, except maybe street parking?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The empty lot next to Aulani is quite huge... much larger than the parcel that Aulani sits on. It's always been private and I have never seen locals park anywhere near that parcel, except maybe street parking?
I am quiet certain that aulani was built on the largest ocean front parcel in koolina that was available. Marriott or Ihilani was the largest parcel that horita built in the 80's.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm currently staying at Aulani with wife and 2yo and visiting from Australia. We love it in Hawaii and idea of a timeshare is very appealing. Especially with a young family.

Met with a DVC rep who advised that a point costs 171, sure you guys know this so will stop there. Did some reading and found out about the resale market which is a much more viable option. Seems there are a few options for us:

1. Buy Aulani resale. This gives us home booking advantage though I've read that the studios book up fast. We would be looking at a late September October date for holiday so perhaps there will still be availability if we are a couple of days late to book.

2. Buy SSI or OKW with more points then look to rent a 1 bed villa after 7 months. We will go to WDW every now and again but it's a 25 hour trip hence focus on Hawaii. This option makes a lot of sense economically as break even would be achieved after 3-4 trips. Via DVC and what we are paying ATM estimate this to be 10 trips.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. It's a fairly big financial decision so want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Figure the sensible thing to do is buy Aulani at resale, would be disappointed if we missed out on the studios.

Thanks
I realize this is from a month ago. You should spend time and get experience before you make any decisions. Certainly resale is best for almost all options. Given the scope of what you're looking at, this will likely take you a couple of years to get enough info to make a good and informed decision including a WDW DVC stay. For DVC, resale is paramount, home resort somewhat less of an issue. If you do decide to go with Aulani, which I'd only do if you intend to go there routinely as it sounds you do, hold out for a subsidized contract. The higher price will be worth it long term. Marriott and HGVC (among others) will certainly give you a wider variety of options for HI and otherwise. DVC's claim to fame is the on property location for WDW & DL. Aulani is certainly nice but there are other options that would likely fill the HI choice better for many situations. Of course there's no reason one couldn't do both to take advantage of each's strong points. If you did decide to buy DVC, SSR is a cheaper and better long term option than OKW, BLT will like be the second cheapest option followed by AKV & OKW. The good news about buying DVC with the current market and long term history is that, if you find what you do doesn't work, you can get out for a relatively minimal loss if you bought resale. You mentioned break even in 3-4 trips, that must be comparing to rack rates of DVC, a fools comparison IMO. You're likely looking at somewhere in the 20-25 yr range when you consider the TVM/Opportunity costs, fee increases and use realistic number on the cash costs. IMO there are only 3 valid metrics for this situation, what you actually would have spent not owning, what you could get DVC for as a private rental and for this situation, what an alternate option would cost you. In reality DVC doesn't seem to save anyone money because often they do the comparison on a studio and then use a 1BR many times and/or they just spend the extra money on other things during the same vacations. Extra value perhaps but human nature.