• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points for deposits

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi tuggers.

Does any one know how this work?

1. Do I just call in prior to depositing my week and then they convert my week?
2. Are the any fees for doing it?
3 anywhere I can see how many points I’m supposed to get?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
There is a fee of $26. You must have a Points account to do this. You deposit your week and they will give points based on attached chart.

Attachments

• RCI POINTS Regional - Timeshare Resales Worldwide Pages 1 - 7 - Text Version _ FlipHTML5.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 168

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
First make sure your resort isn't affiliated with RCI Points. If it is, you cannot do Points For Deposit.

Yes there is a fee. It was $26 the last time I used it. I've always called to have them handle the process (deposit the week to my weeks acct and do the PFD in one call.) I believe it takes a few days before you see the points on your account.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
First make sure your resort isn't affiliated with RCI Points. If it is, you cannot do Points For Deposit.

Yes there is a fee. It was $26 the last time I used it. I've always called to have them handle the process (deposit the week to my weeks acct and do the PFD in one call.) I believe it takes a few days before you see the points on your account.

Bummer. My resort is VVP :(

Thanks for both of your answers.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Fret not. Points For Deposit was pretty good back in the pre-TPU days of old-style RCI Weeks. More recently, it turns out that getting TPUs from a regular Weeks deposit can be more advantageous than getting points via Points For Deposit. Plus, regular Weeks deposit does not involve extra fees.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fret not. Points For Deposit was pretty good back in the pre-TPU days of old-style RCI Weeks. More recently, it turns out that getting TPUs from a regular Weeks deposit can be more advantageous than getting points via Points For Deposit. Plus, regular Weeks deposit does not involve extra fees.

How do you see the weeks deposits as more advantageous than points? I mean points at least seems more flexible when you book 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 days and not just 7days.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
How do you see the weeks deposits as more advantageous than points? I mean points at least seems more flexible when you book 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 days and not just 7days.
Advantageous in getting more trades from the Weeks deposits via TPUs than via Points.

( Partial-week reservations, while potentially advantageous, are a whole different thing. )

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Advantageous in getting more trades from the Weeks deposits via TPUs than via Points.

( Partial-week reservations, while potentially advantageous, are a whole different thing. )

Alan,

Can you post some examples. I have heard others say it is best to have both TPUs and points, because one currency may be worth more at different times.

I only have Wyndham and WM that trade into RCI weeks, they use a fixed rate table for unit size you want. So I have 0 experience messing with TPUs. I have (2) Grandview RCI points units and can book either RCI Points or RCI Weeks units.

What I am not sure is how TPU’s compare to Points in RCI value for trades

Example I get 98K each for a week 10 and 11 Grandview. Total 196K Points a year. If these were the TPU units and I locked off and deposited both half’s the TPU calculator shows I would get 34 TPUs or 68 total for both contracts.

So what value could I expect to see different between 196K RCI Points vs 68 TPUs. Plus wouldn’t I have to pay combine fees to combine the 4 lock offs to one bucket of 68 TPUs?

One last obsevation. TPUs seem to fluctuate and typically you get less and less over time. Points are fixed once interval is converted so your trading power in Points won’t be diluted the same as as with TPU

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Can you post some examples. I have heard others say it is best to have both TPUs and points, because one currency may be worth more at different times.
Now that we've downsized to only just 1 triennial 1BR points timeshare, I have only recollections from the old days when we were in both points & weeks -- i.e., no current examples.

Before the TPU system emerged into the daylight after being kept hidden so long in the remote recesses of RCI -- it took a lawsuit to get TPUs out in the open -- we went ahead with Points For Deposit for a while even after a nuisance fee was added for doing it. Then we caught on that the trading value from TPUs from our weeks deposits could be worth at least as much as the trading value of the points we would get via Points For Deposit, & without paying a nuisance fee.

About the same time, our 1 remaining straight-weeks RCI timeshare -- a South African former tiger trader -- converted itself to a non-timeshare resort, making our ownership essentially worthless. After we quit paying the levies, all communications from the timeshare ended, & that was that. We assume they launched some administrative or judicial process against us that resulted in a judgment forfeiting our ownership. However that may be, we never heard anything from them ever again & so our ownership of the unit which we formerly used for Points For Deposit was done.

Not only that, our experience doing TPU-based exchanges is essentially nil. Straight week-for-week trades worked fine, as did Points For Deposit. Now all we have is 1 points unit, & zero current TPU examples for comparison.

Last edited:

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have both points (annual) and weeks (EOY odd). A resort in Provence I'd like to go to costs me $301 in weeks TPUs and $672 in points (before exchange fees) for the same unit, same week. I've seen other discrepancies but never that high a difference. Usually, my points have a better exchange rate. One of my favorite resorts shows zero exchange availability in points but several options in 2019 in weeks. I booked Paris two years out with weeks and that unit wasn't available in points. But I get a lot out of the flexibility of my points membership. I just wish it were EOY as well!

I always check both systems before booking anything, but we're accumulating a lot of points since that one is annual and has a very high trading power, so now I'm offering trips to friends and family to use some of those points! My husband has a new job with fewer vacation days. :-(

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I have both points (annual) and weeks (EOY odd). A resort in Provence I'd like to go to costs me $301 in weeks TPUs and $672 in points (before exchange fees) for the same unit, same week. I've seen other discrepancies but never that high a difference. Usually, my points have a better exchange rate. One of my favorite resorts shows zero exchange availability in points but several options in 2019 in weeks. I booked Paris two years out with weeks and that unit wasn't available in points. But I get a lot out of the flexibility of my points membership. I just wish it were EOY as well!

I always check both systems before booking anything, but we're accumulating a lot of points since that one is annual and has a very high trading power, so now I'm offering trips to friends and family to use some of those points! My husband has a new job with fewer vacation days. :-(

The only discrepancy with this MF cost per TPU or RCI Points can vary a considerable amount. I don’t have any resorts under TPU currently only points so as an example you can buy a Grandview week currently with 61K, 98K, or 122K Points for a week annually in a 2Bdr lock off. Your MF’s are current $765 for any of these 3 units. Or $.0125, $.0078, $.0063 MF cost per point. If I book a stay that costs 30K RCI points and used one of the 3 described contracts above my cost would range from $437.50 - $218.75 depending on which Grandview contract I own.

I personally own the 98K contracts as I calculated it was going to take over a decade to break even on the additional cost for the 122K point contract.

The same contracts I own would give give 19 TPU as a 2Bdr, or if locked off and each side deposited would get 34 TPU or (17 per 1 Bdr). Or $22.5 Per TPU in MF’s.

Not sure which is worse.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally own the 98K contracts as I calculated it was going to take over a decade to break even on the additional cost for the 122K point contract.

The same contracts I own would give give 19 TPU as a 2Bdr, or if locked off and each side deposited would get 34 TPU or (17 per 1 Bdr). Or $22.5 Per TPU in MF’s.

Not sure which is worse.
$22.5 per TPU is pretty high. Most of my timeshares in RCI weeks are about $15 per tpu. It sounds like GrandView is more cost efficient in RCI points rather than using the units for TPUs.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Your MF’s are current $765 for any of these 3 units.

For 2018 the maintenance fees went up to $803 for the two bedroom point weeks.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
A hidden benefit to points-for-deposit:

The RCI Points deposit deadline for full credit is 90 days before the use date, which is a lot more generous than RCI Weeks (9 months). And RCI Points doesn't penalize you for bringing them an RCI Weeks property for pfd inside the 9 months period.

So if you have an undeposited RCI Weeks property that's as little as 90 days out, you can no longer get full TP for it but you can get full RCI Points via pfd.

It's a two-step process.

First you phone RCI Weeks and tell them you have a week to deposit that you plan to turn over to pfd. They're trained (if you're inside the 9 month clock) to tell you that if you'll pay a $69 penalty you can still get full TP for it. Make sure to say no to that offer.

RCI Weeks calls the property to confirm that you've paid the maintenance for the deposited week. Once that clears, you need to make a second phone call to RCI, make the pfd transfer, and pay the $26 fee. As long as you made the first call outside the 90 day window you'll get full RCI Points value for the pfd. If you made the first call inside 90 days there's a cutback to what they'll give you for it (and that cutback is the same whether or not you got talked into paying the $69 to restore TP value--RCI Points doesn't care how many TP you could have had when you're doing pfd).

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for hoping to take this thread on a bit of a tangent, but I was wondering if someone could check and see what the PFD numbers look like for a late (<45 day) deposit. There is a simple schedule for TPUs (as well as a fee option to restore their initial value) but RCI reps can't give me something similar for points.