• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want to sell Westin Princeville TS. Looking for LTRBA broker recommendation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You should talk to Syed - he is very knowledgeable about ROFR. But honestly, it doesn't make much difference, because the seller gets paid either way.

True. However, knowing the ROFR (approx) is valuable tool for selling and buying - as it supplies information for decision making with imperfect info.

Jon R

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
Wow, Advantage Vacations may be an "honest" broker but they're taking 44% of your sale?? Maybe that's why they're called "Advantage" because they're taking advantage of you and your need to sell your timeshare. That's practically extortion. There has got to be a better way...anyone know of one??

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Wow, Advantage Vacations may be an "honest" broker but they're taking 44% of your sale?? Maybe that's why they're called "Advantage" because they're taking advantage of you and your need to sell your timeshare. That's practically extortion. There has got to be a better way...anyone know of one??

Yes, one can save money by selling one's own timeshare.

But the remainder of the comment is grossly unfair and displays the writer's lack of knowledge of the marketplace about which he writes.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

What would you charge if this was your profession?

Sell it yourself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I just attempted to purchase 2 identical EOYO - WPOR contracts about two weeks apart. The sale prices were $2,800 and $3,500. The detail behind the numbers was that the:
$2,800 included 2017 use at no maintenance fee and seller paying closing cost,
$3,500 had no use tie 2019 included but seller pay closing costs.
Guess which one cleared ROFR? The $2,800 one.
Psyched as my net cost is $0 but goes to show that ROFR is not a science.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to sell my Vistana Westin Princeville Timeshare. After doing some research, it seems that getting a LTRBA broker to help sell it seems like a good choice. Does anyone have a recommendation on a particular broker?

I know nothing about your particular property (nor even where it is), but I have personally met and spoken face to face at some length with LTRBA member / broker Tom Tubbs, principal of Island Consulting Realty in Sarasota, FL and I personally would not hesitate to employ his services.
Nice guy, extremely knowledgeable and just as honest as the day is long. If he can't help, he'll say so. I know nothing about his commission structure.
That said, there may well be other LTRBA member / brokers more geographically proximate and more familiar with your particular property. :shrug:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Wow, Advantage Vacations may be an "honest" broker but they're taking 44% of your sale??
It's not 44% of the sale - it's a flat fee for a low value timeshare. This is standard in the industry. Get out your calculator and figure out the fee at 5% and you'll see why.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Theo - Tom Tubbs my be a good choice in Florida, but this timeshare is in Hawaii, so a broker in Hawaii will probably be more knowledgeable about the resort and have a larger client base for Hawaii.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo - Tom Tubbs my be a good choice in Florida, but this timeshare is in Hawaii, so a broker in Hawaii will probably be more knowledgeable about the resort and have a larger client base for Hawaii.

Agree wholeheartedly; I should probably have ascertained the location of the resort at issue before chiming in.

Kevin Koithan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
Follow-up. Vistana did invoke their right of first refusal. I've signed the paperwork and should close soon.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At what price point?

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
Does the ROFR expire at any time? If the purchase goes through, can Westin come back to the buyer in the future and say "just kidding we want that property back". Or if the process moved forward would they have lost their opportunity?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Does the ROFR expire at any time? If the purchase goes through, can Westin come back to the buyer in the future and say "just kidding we want that property back". Or if the process moved forward would they have lost their opportunity?

Vistana's ROFR is a one-time thing; they use it or lose it. And overall, they seldom use it.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana's ROFR is a one-time thing; they use it or lose it. And overall, they seldom use it.
They do use in Hawaii. Lost two to it this year.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The only way they could possibly come back is if the week was never submitted for ROFR. But I would suspect they wouldn't even recognize the transfer if that happened.

Jon R

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
Follow-up. Vistana did invoke their right of first refusal. I've signed the paperwork and should close soon.
Hey that's great news right?
Was your other offer for $4500?
In other words, did Vistana match the price?
So now you avoid brokers fees....any other fees to Vistana?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - that is how ROFR works - Vistana has to pay the price it was sold for. Kevin gets paid either way, but his buyer is probably disappointed.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So this is a real challenge. I bought an EY unit and now want to sell my EOY unit. I've been offered $3,500 plus fees but if Westin will ROFR at $4,500 then anything less than that is useless and will disappoint the buyer. Any suggestions on legitimately structuring a sale at $4,500 or $5,000 that will pass ROFR?

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
[Added later - I agree that this is a beautiful resort, and Kauai is my favorite island, but on the resale market, it doesn't do as well as Maui:]

1) It is a voluntary resort - the new buyer doesn't get the Staroptions (and no resales get Starpoints)
2) It is on Kauai - which is not nearly as popular as Maui
3) It is not on the beach
4) It has no deeded views

I would not use Craigslist to sell a quality timeshare - too many scammers and clueless people there.

I would post Ads on TUG and Redweek, and then use LT Transfers for a professional title transfer.

However, as a professional, Syed may be able to get more for it than you can, and he will walk you through the whole process.

Hi Denise! I am actually looking to buy at the Westin Princeville, what does "it has no deeded views" mean? Its a right to use property?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville was not sold with deeded views. In other words, all deeds are "Island View," so while owners have priority for a good view, there is no guarantee where you will be placed. At the Maui resorts, you can buy a deeded view.

I see no value in buying there - to be quite honest with you, I would not even accept a free deed there because the maintenance fee is too high.

I just traded in through II with an inexpensive SDO exchange. This is the 3rd time I have traded in using my SDO week.

Last edited:

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Westin Princeville was not sold with deeded views. In other words, all deeds are "Island View," so while owners have priority for a good view, there is no guarantee where you will be placed. At the Maui resorts, you can buy a deeded view.

I see no value in buying there - to be quite honest with you, I would not even accept a free deed there because the maintenance fee is too high.

I just traded in through II with an inexpensive SDO exchange. This is the 3rd time I have traded in using my SDO week.

Thanks for your input!! I actually own at wyndham Bali Hai that I purchased in 2008 for next to nothing but was looking to upgrade to a two bedroom. I love the north shore and I trade through RCI, not II unfortunately or else I would try that. Any recommendations on what other properties to look at there? I was planning on going back in Oct 2018 to elope but really wanted a 2 bedroom for long term!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you been to the Westin Princeville?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Voluntary resorts lose their value because the points don't transfer to new buyer. So retail buyer pays huge $$$ for this voluntary SO week, resale value is terrible, Vistana buys back, and resells to some other victim and pockets the profit between $4,500 and purchase price. Disgusting. Really sleazy.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks for your input!! I actually own at wyndham Bali Hai that I purchased in 2008 for next to nothing but was looking to upgrade to a two bedroom. I love the north shore and I trade through RCI, not II unfortunately or else I would try that. Any recommendations on what other properties to look at there? I was planning on going back in Oct 2018 to elope but really wanted a 2 bedroom for long term!

Look at Wyndham Shearwater. The fees are around $1,500 for a week, and it's two bedroom with all units having ocean views. The best views are what owners get. Buy a penthouse (any unit starting with a 3 (302,303,304,310,311, etc.) and you have the best possible views. Ebay has Shearwater for sale a lot. Watch for a while. :)