• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice Request :

amithab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Okay, Thanks.
This makes more sense.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
If you are looking at traveling for 3-4 day weekends, you might be better off with renting points. The great thing about it is that the amount you pay for renting isn't much more than owning and paying the MF BUT you have no commitment ever or any initial money outlay. Rent as you need and you will be further ahead than buying it yourself and paying the same MF.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If you are looking at traveling for 3-4 day weekends, you might be better off with renting points.
The great thing about it is that the amount you pay for renting isn't much more than owning and paying the MF BUT you have no commitment ever or any initial money outlay. Rent as you need and you will be further ahead than buying it yourself and paying the same MF.

Great advice. (I added the larger bold letters to the important part!)

OP could buy a resale timeshare week for little up-front money, and then trade it for the long-distance week-long trips such as St. Kitts, but in addition RENT POINTS for the shorter stays elsewhere. That would suit the family for a good while, that is, until the bug hits again and he buys a second resale!!! (Be careful "practical", it's addictive but it sure is fun.)

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great advice. (I added the larger bold letters to the important part!)

OP could buy a resale timeshare week for little up-front money, and then trade it for the long-distance week-long trips such as St. Kitts, but in addition RENT POINTS for the shorter stays elsewhere. That would suit the family for a good while, that is, until the bug hits again and he buys a second resale!!! (Be careful "practical", it's addictive but it sure is fun.)

I am not sure if a legacy week owner with no enrolled weeks or DC points can rent DC points into his / her account and use them.

amithab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Thank you. Great advice. I was slowly coming to that same conclusion based on my reading. This site is a great help. I wonder if I also buy a small # of points, if I rented the rest would they let me combine them to get what I might need in areas that needed more points otherwise.
If I get a resale timeshare through this site are the real estate postings legitimate?
Just trying to determine where to buy.
We liked the gulf coast of Florida or Hilton Head or Aruba.
Still trying to narrow it down.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I wonder if I also buy a small # of points, if I rented the rest would they let me combine them to get what I might need in areas that needed more points otherwise.
Yes, rented points can be combined with owned points. If you are a non enrolled member of the DC, meaning your only eligible points via the DC are Trust points, you would need to own a minimum of 1500 points which is known as a Base Interest. Less than a Base Interest and your usage would be restricted.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I am not sure if a legacy week owner with no enrolled weeks or DC points can rent DC points into his / her account and use them.

In order to rent DC Points which can be deposited into your account, you must already be a DC Member via Trust Points or enrolled Weeks ownership. Non-DC Members can, though, rent a DC Points reservation booked by a DC Member (the same way non-owners can rent a reservation made by a Weeks Owner.)

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. Great advice. I was slowly coming to that same conclusion based on my reading. This site is a great help. I wonder if I also buy a small # of points, if I rented the rest would they let me combine them to get what I might need in areas that needed more points otherwise.
If I get a resale timeshare through this site are the real estate postings legitimate?
Just trying to determine where to buy.
We liked the gulf coast of Florida or Hilton Head or Aruba.
Still trying to narrow it down.

Don't buy any points - Have whomever you are renting the points from make the reservation for you in their account and put your name on it.

If you want to buy a resale week, use Ebay as that is where you will get the best prices. You can compare it to Redweek prices

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Don't buy any points - Have whomever you are renting the points from make the reservation for you in their account and put your name on it.

I'll point out to the OP that if you take this approach, while you'll save money by not having to make an upfront purchase, just remember you will NOT control your own reservation, as it will be in the name of the account owner and you will just be listed as a guest of that owner. Some people are OK with that situation, others of us are not. You have to decide which camp you fall into.

And given the issues a number of us have had with reservations and exchanges being cancelled as a result of the hurricanes this fall, as difficult as it has been dealing with Marriott, I think it would be even more problematic to get any refunds or alternative usage options from a reservation rented from a private individual who already has your money. You would basically add an intermediary between you and Marriott. While I guess you could protect yourself by insisting on a rental contract that specifies if the rental accommodation is not available for any reason your money will be refunded by the person you are renting from, given Marriott's response to hurricanes Irma and Maria, I suspect you might have difficulty getting a points owner to agree to that since they would potentially be left holding the bag.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

If no account, just rent the points, pay for them, and have the renter make the reservation and add the guest's name....quite simple. Owning an account isn't mandatory in order to benefit from points rental.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
If no account, just rent the points, pay for them, and have the renter make the reservation and add the guest's name....quite simple. Owning an account isn't mandatory in order to benefit from points rental.

Renting a reservation from an owner is nice but there is always the question of who to trust , lack of escrow service when you make a reservation months out etc. To be honest the beauty of timeshare and how it changes ones vacation pattern is purely based on owning it. Since I own few weeks, my vacations are planned well in advance and we make sure we use all the timeshare weeks we have. This kind of forces us to plan ahead and use the vacation time. We are going to Maui for 20 days in December 2017. IF I have to rent points , I dont think I will make such long trips, there is not enough motivation in renting compared to using ones owned weeks. Bottomline is owning timeshare changes your vacation habits while renting not so much :).

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
Everything I have ever read indicates you must own points and have an account in order to use rented points. All the point talk gives me a headache. There are pages and pages of threads discussing all the permutations of Marriott vacation points and it is very complicated.
Why buy then rent points when there is a huge weekly rental market out there. Marriott week owners, including many who post here, rent their weeks on various web sites including this one. It is perfectly legal to do so and it used to be a selling point for buying a week in the old days when maintenance fees were $300, $500, etc.
We rented our week out a few times, at some point the family didn’t want to go anymore. (Then we sold) We never got involved in points. To rent weeks to another person we contacted Marriott Owner services and put the reservation in the renters name. Over and out, no red tape. The renter had a reservation in his name.
On occasion we have rented Marriott’s from an owner and the procedure was the reverse of what I described. The price was always below or equivalent to the yearly maintenance fee paid by the owner. The reservation was in our name.

There is also a huge rental market of condos and private homes, including luxury accommodations. We’ve rented million dollar condos and private homes at reasonable prices from owners. Sometimes there is an intermediary involved. (local real estate company especially in Hawaii or ski country). The reservation is in your name, no red tape.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Renting a reservation from an owner is nice but there is always the question of who to trust , lack of escrow service when you make a reservation months out etc. To be honest the beauty of timeshare and how it changes ones vacation pattern is purely based on owning it. Since I own few weeks, my vacations are planned well in advance and we make sure we use all the timeshare weeks we have. This kind of forces us to plan ahead and use the vacation time. We are going to Maui for 20 days in December 2017. IF I have to rent points , I dont think I will make such long trips, there is not enough motivation in renting compared to using ones owned weeks. Bottomline is owning timeshare changes your vacation habits while renting not so much :).

Rent from known former renters---I've done it several times, most frequently from known TUG members.......yes you'll need to do your homework, OR you can spend $30-50,000 for points that won't get you as much as you think they will.

"Owning timeshare" does change vacationing habits for sure....BUT owning points not necessarily........you still use points to get the stay, whether you paid a fortune for 3000 points or rented the SAME 3000 points for $1500. :shrug:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uh....maybe I can interject here?

Lots of good advice. Really. TONS of good advice. Some conflicting, some biased and some is just plain honest 'good sense.'

Here's my advice:

• You were unsure whether to rescind or purchase: you made the right decision. When in doubt, RESCIND.
  • You are still unsure what will work best for your vacation needs, budget and desires. So....
    • Read-up on some of the TUG FAQS and guides.
    • Rent or tour some timeshares and see what 'floats your boat' and what 'sinks the vacation.' Seeing is believing
    • Don't rush into a commitment that lasts a lifetime (marriage advice too!!). It will be yours until death do us part or you sell/give it away.
    • Ask questions AFTER you've read some advice, some guides and some FAQ's. Much to learn grasshopper
I will offer some conflicting advice with an opinion or two above...
Not all timeshares can be rented for 'equal/less than MF's.' I love my timeshares and would not trade them for any condo/house/hotel rental. Really.
Renting can be easy, with trusted renters, but it can also be a nightmare.
Owning a vacation property is a very significant incentive to take vacation EVERY year. Ask me how many 'rental' vacations I choose to not take and save the money? Lost memories.
Knowing where you are going and what you're going to find when you get there (Marriott quality etc...) is a nice comfort. Ditto for going to the same location year after year.
Hotels are not timeshares and timeshares are not hotels (normally). There is a big difference. Find that difference and see if it's right for you. People with kids, hungry teens and a taste for really good steaks and seafood (not at restaurant prices) know exactly what I mean. I'm the best bartender (in sight) and make very good coffee. Not often found at Holiday Inn.

Congrats on coming to your senses, now just don't loose them again....

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Everything I have ever read indicates you must own points and have an account in order to use rented points.

I tend to think about point rentals in this same way - to rent points, you must already own points and have a points account.

But...when TUGgers use the term "point rentals" they use it somewhat more broadly and also tend to include transactions where a points owner makes a reservation using points and then rents that reservation to the renter. In that case, you don't need a points account. In my opinion, though, this isn't really a "point rental" - it is a reservation rental. You are not really renting that other owner's points, you are renting a reservation they made for you. In my mind, that is really not much different than renting a week-based reservation from a weeks owner - with the exception that a points-based reservation does not have to be in 7-night increments and you can tell the owner what to book. With true point rentals, the rented points become yours, and the person you are renting from exits the picture once payment is made and the points are transferred into your account. With a reservation rental (weeks-based or points-based), the owner is involved all the way until check-in/check-out as the holder of the reservation - even though the renter's name is added to the reservation.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow!
My head is spinning.
I'm going to put something simple out there that allows you control, the ability to try out some of the resorts and see what you think. But a cheap platinum Marriott trader and trade into those resorts you wish to go to through interval.

amithab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Anybody heard of anything negative about TRCS inc. in Fort Myers, FL?
A timeshare broker.
Thank you

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard of anything negative about TRCS inc. in Fort Myers, FL?
A timeshare broker.
Thank you

TRCS is a closing / escrow company , not a timeshare broker. I have used TRCS closing service for few of my transfers.

amithab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
My limited knowledge .
Thank you.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Glad you rescinded. Don't know where you live but Marriott Manor Club Platinum resale weeks in Williamsburg VA are selling for less than $100 on eBay if you pay the $1500 Maintenance Fee and registration fees. You don't get DC points but can trade through Interval International if you get sick of the free golf at this wonderful place to go every year.

As an alternate I rented a 5 bedrm BRN house for a week with private pool in Orlando last year for less than Marriotts annual MF.

Brian

amithab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Is it worthwhile getting title insurance?
Please let me know if my questions are inappropriate .I will understand.
Thank you

amithab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Unfortunately we know nothing about golf.