• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

estoppel issues?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my resale Flamingo is going a tad slow, IMO. Given that it has no ROFR, I kinda expected things to go a bit quicker.

Anyway, got an email from the title closing company (I think) that Judi Koz uses (timeshare resale closing service):

I hope all is well. I would like to provide you with an update regarding
your timeshare closing. Unfortunately, I have not received an update from
the resort regarding the estoppel request that was submitted. Usually the
turnaround time is within 2-5 weeks and since we have exceeded the
timeframe, a follow up request was sent to the resort. If I do not hear
anything back from the resort, the seller will be required to follow up
with the resort.

Is this anything to be concerned about? I've never had this issue with the other realtor I've used in the past, but am unfamiliar with why the seller would have to become involved?

Thanks!

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Send an e-mail to clubsupport@hgvc.com to inquire. I have really good experience with the group at HGVC that does back office stuff (waivers, estoppels, etc.). In my experience they have been very responsive and really accommodating.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
HGVC office must be backed up. Even though they don’t have rofr the Estoppel they provide will show how many points you will be getting by year, you can verify status of maint fees and if any points were borrowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh, what a mess.

I emailed the clubsupport about this. They replied back that they have not received ANY request from any closing company for anything for my club member ID.

So I've forwarded that to the Closing company that Judi uses and we'll see what's going on.

What's weird is that one of the ladies at Judi's place seems to have 2 different email addresses. One @judikoz.com and the other at the timeshare closing company that they use. (Unless outlook.com is screwing things up which is a distinct possibility)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sounds like something is inconsistent at your escrow processor. I recently closed on a resale property and the HGVC and escrow people were fantastic and everything went smoothly. Closed the entire transaction in 47 days - and that included a week's closure due to Florida hurricanes.

Last edited:

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which escrow / title company are you using?. I have done few transactions with Judi , used TRCS for transfer and everything went really smooth. I specifically worked with Karina@TRCS.

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used LT on multiple transactions and have to say they are top notch organization. Very reasonably priced (actually the cheapest I have seen) and outstanding customer service. I mean they are responsive and turn things around in record time.

I will only use them and highly recommend to others.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like Judi Koz is using:

Timeshare Resale Closing Service, Inc.

I'm guessing either HGVC dropped the ball or the Closing company did.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This is the 2nd issue we've seen with JK's closings in the last few weeks.
The other was a botched deed.
She may be a reputable broker, but one wonders if her closing service has issues.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like Judi Koz is using:

Timeshare Resale Closing Service, Inc.

I'm guessing either HGVC dropped the ball or the Closing company did.

As mentioned above, I have used TRCS before for 3 transfers and all went smooth. Usually they follow upp often. Hopefully yours will get rectified soon.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
They replied back that they have not received ANY request from any closing company for anything for my club member ID.

Maybe HGVC did indeed receive the estoppel request. Shouldn’t HGVC be looking up the seller’s member ID for the estoppel request and not your existing member ID?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe HGVC did indeed receive the estoppel request. Shouldn’t HGVC be looking up the seller’s member ID for the estoppel request and not your existing member ID?

I don't know. I would assume that they'd need both ID's as they definitely would need mine to "add" the points and stuff to.

I don't have the seller's member ID obviously.

Again, I'm guessing that either HGVC dropped the ball (entirely likely) or the closing company did.

What I find concerning is that I got an email from Judi's place detailing the closing process and the email address was an @judikoz.com or something.

Then I get an email (the most recent one) from the Timeshare closing company that cc'd that same person from Judi, but the email address was NOT Judi's. Instead, it said this same person had an email address at the timeshare closing company.

Now, either this person actually has 2 email addresses (one at Judi's and one at the timeshare closing company) or something's really weird.

I've not heard back from anyone at Judi's or the closing company (granted, it may still be a little early this morning, not sure what time zone everyone is in).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Which escrow / title company are you using?. I have done few transactions with Judi , used TRCS for transfer and everything went really smooth. I specifically worked with Karina@TRCS.

Susie Bell at Timeshare Closings for Less.
sbell@timeshareclosingsforless.com

She was very responsive and kept us apprised during the entire process - even proactively notifying us about hurricane closures. Would definitely use her again.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So just an update. The owner (seller) also contacted Judi's office and was told the timeshare closing company is really backed up.

However, interestingly enough, after she emailed the Timeshare closing company (almost 24 hours after I had emailed them) they responded and included HGVC on the reply.

They say they faxed the info over weeks ago (along with the fax transmittal sheet), so probably looks like HGVC dropped the ball on this one. Personally I hate faxes. They're way too prone to errors, IMO (much more so than email). I've seen fax confirmations say everything was sent and nothing come out the other end, etc.

I'm sure it will all work out.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Either the paper was out or it was put in another file.
I once asked someone to fax me a slice of pizza.
I never got it. ;)

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, was on vacation. So looks like both places dropped the ball.

HGVC never confirmed/denied that they got the initial faxed paperwork. They did confirm they got the re-faxed stuff, but the timeshare closing company filled out something wrong, so the resubmitted paperwork had to be re-corrected, and both me and the owner signed it and so *now* it's finally in process.

Wow.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG, this is truly the WORST resale purchase I have ever done. If it wasn't such a good deal I would say I will *never* buy from Judi Koz again.

The timeshare closing company has screwed up 9 ways to sunday.

We're STILL not closed on the frickin' resale.

I got an email from [name removed - no longer with the company] who's the timeshare closing agent at the company Judi uses on 12/6/17 saying everything has been sent over and we should get an update in 2-3 weeks.
Well I still haven't seen anything on HGVC website and the seller still hasn't gotten a check.

Guess what?

"
I hope you all are having a wonderful day. Yesterday, I went to the resort to obtain an update on your transfer. It appears the deed that was provided to my office contained the incorrect legal description for your purchase. Before you worry, I was able to obtain the correct legal description and the deed was re-recorded in Clark County, NV. Attached you will find the recorded correction deed that was sent to Membership Support this afternoon via Fax (successful transmission received) and USPS Priority Mail.

Hopefully, we'll get another update from the resort by next week."

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!

The first "mistake" may have been Hilton's (timeshare closing company simply relies on the fax transmission sheet as everything is "OK"), but then the second mistake was that the timeshare closing company had the wrong info so that we had to re-do stuff for the estoppel to be issued, and then now they screwed up this?

Seriously disappointed here. Definitely will be sticking with my reliable Diane Nadeau at Timesharebrokersales from now on.

Oh, and Judi's people have never been on top of this. It's always been me emailing asking what the heck is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just wait, Hilton will want all the 2018 fees paid up and there may even be an increase for resales this upcoming year. I got hit with that starting a purchase in October, Hilton dragged their feet and it wasn’t transferred into my account until Jan and I got hit with higher fees.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG, this is truly the WORST resale purchase I have ever done. If it wasn't such a good deal I would say I will *never* buy from Judi Koz again.

The timeshare closing company has screwed up 9 ways to sunday.

We're STILL not closed on the frickin' resale.

I got an email from [name removed - no longer with the company] who's the timeshare closing agent at the company Judi uses on 12/6/17 saying everything has been sent over and we should get an update in 2-3 weeks.
Well I still haven't seen anything on HGVC website and the seller still hasn't gotten a check.

Guess what?

"
I hope you all are having a wonderful day. Yesterday, I went to the resort to obtain an update on your transfer. It appears the deed that was provided to my office contained the incorrect legal description for your purchase. Before you worry, I was able to obtain the correct legal description and the deed was re-recorded in Clark County, NV. Attached you will find the recorded correction deed that was sent to Membership Support this afternoon via Fax (successful transmission received) and USPS Priority Mail.

Hopefully, we'll get another update from the resort by next week."

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!

The first "mistake" may have been Hilton's (timeshare closing company simply relies on the fax transmission sheet as everything is "OK"), but then the second mistake was that the timeshare closing company had the wrong info so that we had to re-do stuff for the estoppel to be issued, and then now they screwed up this?

Seriously disappointed here. Definitely will be sticking with my reliable Diane Nadeau at Timesharebrokersales from now on.

Oh, and Judi's people have never been on top of this. It's always been me emailing asking what the heck is going on.

I too had an experience like this on my recent purchase through Judi. Everything worked out in the end, but the trek along the way was similar to yours.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
it wasn’t transferred into my account until Jan and I got hit with higher fees.

The same thing happened to me. The estoppel was issued in December but didn't get transferred until January.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Just wait, Hilton will want all the 2018 fees paid up and there may even be an increase for resales this upcoming year. I got hit with that starting a purchase in October, Hilton dragged their feet and it wasn’t transferred into my account until Jan and I got hit with higher fees.

I wonder if it is the closing company, TRCS that is causing these delays. FWIW...I am having the same experience with another broker (not Judi) and system (not HGVC) who is using TRCS for a purchase that has strung along since Sept. If I get hit with extra fees because of the delays, there will be he## to pay.

Last edited:

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I'm closing on a Marriott timeshare with the same agent [name removed - no longer with the company] and I find her to be slow and at times unresponsive. :( I believe she is the kink in the chain.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FYI...My TRCS agent is NOT [a name previously mentioned], but experiencing the same issues. My online status has not received an update since October when they claim the ROFR was originally submitted early that month. I have enquired via email and it seems to be caught in an endless ROFR loop and they don't seem to be on top of getting seller signatures and simple paperwork requests by the developer completed in a timely manner (this is not HGVC but another major timeshare developer). However some delays may be caused by the broker- difficult to tell (our broker is one of the top brokers frequently recommended on TUG but is not Judi or her team). They claim they just submitted it again in late Dec. I hope that the ROFR clock doesn't restart from late Dec. because it was originally submitted in early Oct.

If I lose the sale because of new year ROFR budget, or if there are new 2018 fees, I will be extremely upset.

If I were a seller paying the broker, I would be extremely nervous because these delays give the buyers more time and opportunity to back out of the deal (buyer would lose deposit of about $800+but compared to the cost of the timeshare maint fees over 20 years...). This transaction seems more like what I would expect from an Ebay transaction than from a professional brokerage - I am quite disappointed.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone.
At least I know it's not just me. It's extremely frustrating though.

For *this* transaction, the faults (IMO) are:
1) I believe it was Ivey Henning (Judi's team I think) who has never stayed on top of the closing process.
2) [The closing agent] @ TRCS faxed the original stuff over (the have a "confirmation", but seriously we all know that doesn't mean squat with the way fax machines work), and then I had to prod them when we went over the 6 weeks to ask what was going on.
3) HGVC never responded to [the closing agent] or me (after I emailed HGVC asking what's going on and they said they don't have anything). They also never answered [The closing agent]'s email inquiring if they actually received anything or not. [The closing agent] re-sent and THEN they acknowledge they got it.
4) Then after that, turns out that TRCS had the paperwork wrong, so they had to re-send an addendum to me and the seller to sign.
5) Then I waited some more, after 3 more weeks emailed what's going on, and then find out that they recorded the deed wrong or something.

So, IMO, 3 parties to blame:
1) Judi's team for not following up on things like they should, IMO. It's been me doing all the work.
2) [The closing agent]/TRCS for screwing up the paperwork 9 ways to Sunday.
3) HGVC for not bothering to respond to inquiries from TRCS if they got the paperwork. I'm cutting some slack on the fax transmissions because I know how fax machines work and just because it says "transmitted" doesn't mean squat. The receiving end could be out of paper, could've mangled it, could be out of toner and the whole thing is lost. It's like sending stuff via Priority Mail. USPS claims it got there and it never did (I have a package that still shows it's in George "out for delivery" 3 years later even though the recipient got it).

I'll have to dig up my paperwork from Diane Nadeau and see who she used for the closing company for my previous 3 resales. At least Diane was calling me very frequently (sometimes too frequently--haha) with updates vs. this whole mess.

I just got a VM from [The closing agent] @ TRCS so we'll see what she has to say.