• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Getting value out of Starpoints depends on what hotel you are going to stay in, when you are traveling, and how much you can get it elsewhere. I just went on a trip to Asia: stayed in Bangkok at the St. Regis. Booked it through Amex (Platinum Card) and got a 4th night free and a free dinner in their Italian restaurant. Rates were way lower than points. Then stayed in the Le Meridien in Chiang Mai and booked it using points through Chase Ultra Rewards (Sapphire Reserve). Then the Marriott in Hong Kong used Marriott points since that was the best deal. All 3 hotels are SPG hotels. Got upgraded in all 3 hotels, with breakfast included. Haven't touched my Starpoints yet, but probably will soon. I have a lot of them thanks to Vistana. However, I wouldn't buy any unless I had plans to use them soon and they worked out to be worthwhile. Oh, and expiring in 6 years in not very appealing. Miles sent to airlines isn't too bad, but if your airline is United it's not a good exchange (2 starpoints for 1 united).

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
so here's a thought -- what happens to all of the WSJ Explorer packages out there that you can no longer return on?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
so here's a thought -- what happens to all of the WSJ Explorer packages out there that you can no longer return on?
They will likely just extend the deadline to use them.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting value out of Starpoints depends on what hotel you are going to stay in, when you are traveling, and how much you can get it elsewhere. I just went on a trip to Asia: stayed in Bangkok at the St. Regis. Booked it through Amex (Platinum Card) and got a 4th night free and a free dinner in their Italian restaurant. Rates were way lower than points. Then stayed in the Le Meridien in Chiang Mai and booked it using points through Chase Ultra Rewards (Sapphire Reserve). Then the Marriott in Hong Kong used Marriott points since that was the best deal. All 3 hotels are SPG hotels. Got upgraded in all 3 hotels, with breakfast included. Haven't touched my Starpoints yet, but probably will soon. I have a lot of them thanks to Vistana. However, I wouldn't buy any unless I had plans to use them soon and they worked out to be worthwhile. Oh, and expiring in 6 years in not very appealing. Miles sent to airlines isn't too bad, but if your airline is United it's not a good exchange (2 starpoints for 1 united).
You do need to be aware of bad conversion rations and figure out what airline has the most advantageous point requirements for your desired route/cabin.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
tada...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only checked on the conversion for one hotel in Waikiki. We haven't traveled to Europe, so I have never checked anything there. I did convert SPG points for airfare once. I don't remember being savvy enough to determine if it was the best value, it was just nice not "paying" for airfare to St. Thomas. (We didn't upgrade to 1st class.)

Thanx for your input!
Re: value, I'll give you an example that maximizes your ROI. Buy the $110K points for $1,815, say you have 5K SPG points (value those at $0.0165/SP or $82.5), then convert them to Aeroplan miles in two batches (60K and 55K). You will get 140K miles for $1,897.50. Get a Lufthansa ticket from the US to Europe (saver mileage) for 140K miles and ~$1,266.60 CAD. Your total cost would be approximately $1,897.50 plus $1,015 = $2,912.50 USD. Sounds like a lot, probably/it depends...but this tix out of pocket can be more over $18,000. I know you won't earn miles...

No fuzzy math here. I just picked a good example to illustrate the value that can be achieved if the points are properly used. I realize this is not for everyone. There are other ways to get an even higher ROI...

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have a package - we had reservations for January. We were able to cancel, before they cancelled everyone's automatically. I was told they would basically do whatever to make it work and they are kicking out there a few years. They basically use hotel inventory or unsold inventory so it shouldn't mess things up too much. But obviously they sell them to get you back and they want you back. They have been great to work with thus far. Package will be paid off this year, not a bad vacation at interest free. Not a STEAL by any means like I first sold myself on; but nothing to be ashamed of. Basically in our case a bit cheaper than the dues one would pay and much cheaper if we get to be in the new Sunset phase (which ironically has the most damage)

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I’m curious on how a SA could apply for phases such as Sunset Bay that are in active sales by the developer. Wouldn’t the developer still have to pay their share on developer owned units?

As Denise mentioned in another thread, it’s not popular, but due to hurricane and completely unexpected, how much could it be to prevent owners from walking and how could it affect owners in a phase in active sales?

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m curious on how a SA could apply for phases such as Sunset Bay that are in active sales by the developer. Wouldn’t the developer still have to pay their share on developer owned units?

As Denise mentioned in another thread, it’s not popular, but due to hurricane and completely unexpected, how could it affect owners in a phase in active sales?
Yes the developer still owns those shares so would be paying their share. Just like they pay the HOA MF on those shares.

I'm more curious about owners that closed but their first use year is 2018. They didn't pay MF for use during the period the event occurred in and the developer has a warranty of habitation under law so surely the developer should be paying to make those weeks habitable again.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm more curious about owners that closed but their first use year is 2018. They didn't pay MF for use during the period the event occurred in and the developer has a warranty of habitation under law so surely the developer should be paying to make those weeks habitable again.
I'll post on this as this is exactly my case. :mad: :ponder: :wall: :bawl: :shrug: :doh:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ-VGV 2018 (proposed) annual fees just arrived in mail

2018 WSJ-VGV MF (proposed)
Studio: $1458.19
1Bd: $1944.34
2Bd TH: $2430.07
2Bd Prem: $2916.40
3Bd Pool: $2916.60

IMPORTANT
Note at bottom states:
This is only proposed and needs to be approved.
That the MFs will NOT be as high as proposed due to H. Irma
November 10 is the date for approval of the actual budget (MF).

It is interesting to note that the 2Bd TH MFs increased by ~$30. That is 5-6 years in row that MFs have stayed relatively flat (w/o Irma impact)

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I assume the 3BR pool villa MF of $1916.60 is a typo?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Question for WSJ Owners that took offer to buy SPs for 1.65c/SP.

Anyone been successful in actually purchasing them?
Twice now - they have given me delay excuses (2 different ones...)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question for WSJ Owners that took offer to buy SPs for 1.65c/SP.

Anyone been successful in actually purchasing them?
Twice now - they have given me delay excuses (2 different ones...)
I intend to buy it but haven’t gotten around to call. What kind delay excuses are they giving you?

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I am going go buy also. These will be of good use in Europe. I just burned off quite a few in Greece, and found very good value.

Markus

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I was just reading an article about tourism on the VIConsortium FB and it was listing all the resorts with projected open dates. It has WSJ as October 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
What’s the phone number for booking at the 8 month out date?
https://www.vistana.com/contact-us

Or use the website at midnight EST

1-888-847-8262

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Hours of Operation:
9 a.m. – 9 p.m. EST Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST Saturday, Sunday

Closed Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.

Sheraton Vacation Club
1.888.SV.OWNER (1-888-786-9637) or direct at 407-903-4649

Westin Vacation Club
1.888.WV.OWNER (1-888-986-9637) or direct at 407-903-4635

Harborside Resort at Atlantis
1-877-782-7496 or direct at 407-903-4893

Lakeside Terrace and Vistana Beach Club
1-800-847-8262 or direct at 407-903-4640

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What’s the phone number for booking at the 8 month out date?

For example, tonight (Oct. 22) at midnight eastern, you can reserve June 23. Here in CA, that's 9:00 pm.

For popular resorts/dates, if you wait and call the next day, you will find that there is nothing left.

***If you have never made an online reservation, you should practice in advance so you are quick and efficient. Even if you accidentally make a reservation, you can immediately cancel it online with no penalty.

ksqdomer

Reaction score
Just saw on a Facebook thread that United has canceled all STT flights into April 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.