• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest flying to Hawaii

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh boy, I cannot wait! I like flying Southwest a lot. Thanks for posting this!

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Saw a posting on Facebook by SW. Said they will start taking reservations in 2018 pending government approval.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, now we will get a chance to fly to the fifty state.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Maybe, now we will get a chance to fly to the fifty state.
You do know there are other airlines that fly to Hawaii already? ;)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! I know that there are other airlines that fly to Hawaii; but I am hoping that they will fly (depart) from Washington, DC, Baltimore or Richmond,VA to the West Coast then to Hawaii.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes! I know that there are other airlines that fly to Hawaii; but I am hoping that they will fly (depart) from Washington, DC, Baltimore or Richmond,VA to the West Coast then to Hawaii.
Southwest does go from BWI to the west coast, but I don't know currently if there are any direct flights. Right now we take SW from Albuquerque to Oakland, spend a few nights in San Francisco, then fly Alaska Airlines to Hawaii. Even if Southwest offers a more "direct" flight from Albuquerque to Hawaii we would probably still spend the nights in San Francisco. Gives us time to visit the city, and our daughter who lives in that area.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luanne, thanks for the information. I liked the idea staying in San Francisco before flying out to Hawaii. Thanks

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is refreshing news. We have been flying SWA (and Alaska) increasingly in and out of California and have taken several cross-country non-stops to ATL and EWR. I am sick of United and their cattle car economy seats, change and baggage fees. We always delay booking our annual Hawaii flights because we don't want to get hit with change fees. I was a 100k elite and now they treat me like dirt. Even if it is the same price, I will select SWA because we will have flexibility and more legroom than the big 3.

Hope this will be a wake-up call to the big three.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hope this will be a wake-up call to the big three.

So the big three are Delta, United and American Airlines? Truly dislike all of them. Rick and I are flying United from Maui in March, and it will be the first time we've flown United for years and years.

We do love Southwest, but we fly 1st class to Hawaii, and it's not likely they will add 1st to their planes. We are spoiled on 1st and fly free with points.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We pretty much fly Southwest/Alaska everywhere except Europe. Most flights are 6 hours or less so I don't care much about flying first class. I'd rather use the $$/points for more trips. :p

I would love to see more competition on the interisland flights. Southwest ought to give Hawaiian a run for their money.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Eight to nine hours from Chicago in an economy seat? No thanks! Yeah, I'm spoiled; I like first-class upgrades. Besides, SW isn't at ORD, which is 15 minutes from my house. MDW might as well be in another country for how difficult it is to get there from here.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Eight to nine hours from Chicago in an economy seat? No thanks! Yeah, I'm spoiled; I like first-class upgrades. Besides, SW isn't at ORD, which is 15 minutes from my house. MDW might as well be in another country for how difficult it is to get there from here.
Southwest won't be the best option for all, no airline is. I love them, but I'll have to see their schedules and prices before deciding if they are the best option for us.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We pretty much fly Southwest/Alaska everywhere except Europe. Most flights are 6 hours or less so I don't care much about flying first class. I'd rather use the $$/points for more trips. :p

I would love to see more competition on the interisland flights. Southwest ought to give Hawaiian a run for their money.

+1 We only use the big 3 (primarily United) for long haul international where we save and use our points to upgrade to lie-flats. From California to Hawaii or Orlando in SWA economy is fine. Economy on United is torture because it has less legroom.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you take two bags to Hawaii you are definitely over packing. :)
Trekking poles have to be checked. We always have two sets of poles plus two pairs of hiking boots. We have to check a bag every time. But we have both the Alaska and Hawaiian credit cards so we don't have to pay. If not for those we could do carry on.

I went to Kauai with a friend a few years ago - no hiking. So I had one carry on. She had a huge bag, a carry on size, and a large tote. I have no idea what she brought, lol.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you take two bags to Hawaii you are definitely over packing. :)

We bring food staples such as drinks, energy bars, coffee & spices, and dive gear such as snorkels, fins.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We bring food staples such as drinks, energy bars, coffee & spices, and dive gear such as snorkels, fins.
We just buy what we need foodwise when we're there. We might bring tea bags, but that's it. We used to bring snorkels and masks, but managed to get it all in one suitcase. The advantage to having a timeshare condo is the washer/dryer so you can bring less clothing.

When our daughters were little we'd travel with two car seats, an umbrella stroller and I think one year we might have brought the fold up play pen (don't quote me on that one though). After hauling all of that around for several years we have been very happy to cut way back. The best trip we took was with one carry on bag each, no checked luggage.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Since we have the companion pass for all of 2018, we may try SW for Hawaii once. I have a trip planned to Oahu for next October. Rick probably won't want to fly SW, but you never know. With one of us flying free, and the other with points, it's tough to resist.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Since we have the companion pass for all of 2018, we may try SW for Hawaii once. I have a trip planned to Oahu for next October. Rick probably won't want to fly SW, but you never know. With one of us flying free, and the other with points, it's tough to resist.
I'm curious how that works. With the Alaska Airline companion pass I have to purchase one ticket, and the second is a minimal cost. I can't get the companion fare if I use points for the first seat. Is Southwest different? I haven't gotten a Southwest companion pass in years so I don't remember how it works.

Never mind, I just checked the SW site and saw that you can redeem points for your flight and get the companion pass. Nice.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, SW is different and even points can book the first seat, then the companion pass is just the fees. But I see you already looked it up.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Plus you need a bag for your snorkel gear - vision corrected masks, personal snorkel, skins, etc. Yes Treking poles also. So we usually check 1 large suit case with all the outdoor, beach, and water gear. Then carryons for clothes.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
SWA certainly won't be flying direct from Chicago to Hawaii. Their new planes are what got them within range from the west coast.