• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea - observations

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I was surprised they let us take the paperwork they presented their math for purchasing on.
They whisked our paperwork away pretty quickly but I think I remembered the main points. If we wanted 'more Maui' as they put it, weighing up $52K for 230,000 SO at Nanea EOY against $5-6K resale for 148,100 EOY at WKORVN to add to what we already have there didn't take a mathematical genius. They'd have to have upped the incentives many fold.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Still have the paperwork. 155,000 annual Staroptions for $61,225 plus $895 closure costs. Total $62120. Minus $25,990 for our SVV unit for $36,130 new money. plus 60,000 Starpoints and 4 of those certificates to buy more Starpoints. First use year of 2019.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Our grandson liked both Nanea and the Pirate Pool at the North/South, only a short walk so nice as long as the reciprocity between resorts continues. Minimal construction noise this week (some drilling) and it looks like they are doing the final fittings and furniture installations in the buildings 7/8 so expect the resort to be fully open soon. The garden area over that side is very nice and very quiet at the moment, plunge pool to ourselves.

33% sold according to our update. When I mentioned the parking lot view units their spin on it is that you are buying at parking lot view prices but with a good chance to get a great ocean view as long as you reserve at the 12 month window. I must admit they are very persuasive, even to a veteran of saying no at 12 years of owner updates and someone who reads this site regularly. I was almost tempted until I did the math :)

Don't believe anything they say. They lie. They told us we could easily resell and used WKORV resell rates (Nanea wasn't open at the time and obviously never had a resale); didn't explain "Voluntary" vs. "Mandatory"... and a great deal of other things. We never would have bought into Nanea if we had really known what was going on. And had no idea how hard it would be to make a reservation for the 81,000 home options we signed up for. I didn't find TUGBBS until much later. The place is gorgeous, but all that money upfront is basically lost. Hopefully we'll get use out of it for awhile, but am still mad that I fell for it.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't believe anything they say. They lie. They told us we could easily resell and used WKORV resell rates (Nanea wasn't open at the time and obviously never had a resale); didn't explain "Voluntary" vs. "Mandatory"... and a great deal of other things. We never would have bought into Nanea if we had really known what was going on. And had no idea how hard it would be to make a reservation for the 81,000 home options we signed up for. I didn't find TUGBBS until much later. The place is gorgeous, but all that money upfront is basically lost. Hopefully we'll get use out of it for awhile, but am still mad that I fell for it.
I'm not sure how quoting WKORV/N resell rates, even as Mandatory resorts, would be a great selling point because from what I see on Redweek they are reselling at an average of around 20-25% of developer pricing.

I think it was your previous comments I had in mind when I asked a question about the SO they were selling and the flexibility of reserving 1,2,3 bed at the 12 month window. The sales 'closer' seemed to indicate that your options were 'targeted' at a specific villa size/view category when I made a comment that 'with such a low inventory of 1BR units wouldn't purchasers of a low number of SO for 1BR simply be overwhelmed by the purchasers of more SO targeted at 2BR/3BR looking to downsize and take more days in a 1BR'. I should have pressed for more detail but by then I was on my 3rd free coffee and 6th cookie.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Going to Nanea next month. How much do they push to get you to agree to an owner's update or presentation?
We did external exchange instead of star options this time, so I'm kinda expecting more push on getting us into a presentation.
With previous stays at other resorts, we were asked maybe a couple of times, we said no, and they usually let us be.
They could see our units were already in network. But this will be our first stay at a resort in active sales :ponder:

thanks,

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
We love the points/presentation. If you keep asking questions then the presentation will go on and on and on and then you will feel obligated to go through several "closes" and then finally end up saying no to the explorer package. The "offer" will continue to come down from the initial High Ball to what seems an affordable Low Ball. If you are patient you will not feel a lot of pressure but it will last more than hour depending on your interaction. Practice these mantras
"Uh- Huh", "That's Nice", "No were not interested" - repeat!
On the other hand you can expect to receive "Trade Up" offers as well. They will give you a trade for Vistana and "then you will be in network with star points" for only 35,000 - yada yada yada.
Good Luck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Going to Nanea next month. How much do they push to get you to agree to an owner's update or presentation?
We did external exchange instead of star options this time, so I'm kinda expecting more push on getting us into a presentation.
With previous stays at other resorts, we were asked maybe a couple of times, we said no, and they usually let us be.
They could see our units were already in network. But this will be our first stay at a resort in active sales :ponder:

thanks,

Don't know how hard they push as we've always said yes to them. I suppose they might 'up' the incentive to attend if you knock them back initially. To me it's a chance to learn a bit more about what's going on (although admittedly most of that is already published on here) and take advantage of a free breakfast/coffee/cookies etc. I suppose it depends how much you value 90 mins of your vacation time as the $100 resort certificate we got didn't even cover the taxes on the 2BR at Nanea.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)

thanks,

I own a one-bedroom at Nanea. You mean when I show up next January they are gonna hound me to go to one of these? LOL! fat chance. Fool me once....

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I own a one-bedroom at Nanea. You mean when I show up next January they are gonna hound me to go to one of these? LOL! fat chance. Fool me once....

I'm sorry you're so bitter. It's coming across very loud and clear.

Your bitterness and regret won't get your money back. It will ruin your vacations if you let it.
As a friendly and kind gesture, I suggest you focus on using and enjoying your vacations. The resort is a very nice (looking, I've not stayed there) resort and the area is idyllic.

As I've said before, I'm glad we rescinded, cancelled and bought resale. But, I often feel that I would have spent more quality vacation time--time that is now lost to me--with kids and family if we had just purchased from the developer years ago. Money comes and money goes....but the kids grow older and those opportunities with family and friend do NOT ever come back.

The resorts will not 'hound' you for updates, but they will certainly use every resource to offer you incentives for updates at every turn. Check-in, hang tags, free food, courtesy desks etc.... Don't answer the phone, reply to the voicemail if required. (use cell phones for personal communications)
If you say no, and please don't ask again.....then it generally stops. Firm, resolute politeness is the correct response. If you feel that your vacation is being denigrated or imposed-on by the folks trying to 'up-sell' you, then simply, politely ask to speak to a manager. Explain that your vacation is being impacted, negatively, by sales efforts. Get the name, time, date and details. If you are still being pursued or inhibited, then call corporate and get a real person on the phone. Not a lowly, hourly phone operator, but an actual CS rep in corporate. Send the information including the manager's name, date, time comments etc.... This will likely cure your problem for quite a while.

My opinion? Be firm, polite and stoic. "No thank you, I'm not interested....please do not ask me or my party during the rest of our visit? Thank you!" This is likely all you need. The employees will prefer polite honesty over angry retorts etc....

Enjoy your time....it's an amazing opportunity to be able to vacation on Maui that most people dream about.
Time is fleeting.....

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I just returned from Nanea on my first owner stay. I am a first time owner and bought from the developer over a year ago. I will say I had some buyers remorse and was hoping I wouldn't regret purchasing Nanea instead of WKORV. I spent 7 days there and even walked through WKORV for an apples to apples comparison. I am actually glad I bought my timeshare from the developer. the SPG and Marriott gold for extra points had brought me back twice since I purchased and this was my first owners use. I like the updates as they give me points and/or activities. I am actually considering purchasing a EOYE week to go with my odd week I own now. From the developer. I was looking at resale WKORV and I can find them for about 7-9k (2 bedroom) when I can purchase direct for about 3 times that with all the flexibility of a developer property. It really all comes down to how you use it, IF you use it.. So, the Nanea is gorgeous and they are working out the new resort kinks. and the owners update is all about who you are and where you are in life. want more? then get an offer and an explorer package, if not, take the sunset sale and relax.. nobody says you HAVE to buy, and you will almost always learn something you didn't know. almost...

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
Wow, talk about promotion. I like the part of "who you are and where you are in life"

I know it sounds weird, but purchasing my first timeshare was a great move for me and my wife. Nobody ever says that it it even sounds strange when I say it. But I took my first vacation at 45 years old and this purchase got me to maui 4 times since. so, for me it works. I talked my kids out of it as they are not ready. If it sounds like a promotion, it's just because I am actually happy with my purchase. Of course, when I go to sell it, my tune should change dramatically.. lol.. As far as my quote, it makes sense. I was in the right place for a timeshare to work for me, my kids aren't. something to consider before anybody buys one, whether developer or resale.. but just so you know, I am a real person, real first time owner, real first time stay at Nanea.. not paid in any way, although that would be real nice.. I may have to look into that.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I know it sounds weird, but purchasing my first timeshare was a great move for me and my wife. Nobody ever says that it it even sounds strange when I say it. But I took my first vacation at 45 years old and this purchase got me to maui 4 times since. so, for me it works. I talked my kids out of it as they are not ready. If it sounds like a promotion, it's just because I am actually happy with my purchase. Of course, when I go to sell it, my tune should change dramatically.. lol.. As far as my quote, it makes sense. I was in the right place for a timeshare to work for me, my kids aren't. something to consider before anybody buys one, whether developer or resale.. but just so you know, I am a real person, real first time owner, real first time stay at Nanea.. not paid in any way, although that would be real nice.. I may have to look into that.

Happiness is the most important thing is buying a timeshare. I am happy to hear you are happy with your purchase. We are also new to timeshares, having only been involved with timeshares for less than a year. We have had some great vacations for much less than it costs to stay in a small hotel room. TUG has been super helpful to us in learning how to effectively utilize our timeshares. TUG has saved us many times from making mistakes.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Still have the paperwork. 155,000 annual Staroptions for $61,225 plus $895 closure costs. Total $62120. Minus $25,990 for our SVV unit for $36,130 new money. plus 60,000 Starpoints and 4 of those certificates to buy more Starpoints. First use year of 2019.

What did you buy? Where, what size, what view? Is it annual or EOY?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I was in same boat (busy life, little vacationing) for years - and bought Vacation from SVO (VSE) - luckily I found TUG in time (Dec 2015) and rescinded $70K WKORVN OF (now $20K?) - and bought multiple resale Westin VOIs - we love them and have great vacations. It can be done w/o buying from the Developer.
We are about to enjoy 17 nites on Kauai, and then 19 in Maui in Sept.
Always try and make the most out of the vacation purchase - regardless.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
What did you buy? Where, what size, what view? Is it annual or EOY?

It would have been annual, but we did not buy anything. Kept our SVV and Lagunamar. Hawaii is not an option for us on a regular basis due to the airfare from Buffalo, NY and the fact we have to pay for 4 people.

Vacationgoer

Reaction score
Anyone has experience to rent out your Westin Nanea weeks? We became owners in March this year, in fact, own quite a bit, with the idea to rent our weeks/options out to cover maintenance costs, but have not pursued any rentals yet. Any experience and advice would be much appreciated.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Anyone has experience to rent out your Westin Nanea weeks? We became owners in March this year, in fact, own quite a bit, with the idea to rent our weeks/options out to cover maintenance costs, but have not pursued any rentals yet. Any experience and advice would be much appreciated.
We rented our 2BR Resort View July 4th week for 3,500. This more than covers our Maint fee. We used this week in 2017 but were unable in 2018. Used Red Week.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Was hoping to get some recommendations for Nanea building # requests.
- This is via StarOptions. We own Ocean View at WKORVN, but there was no availability and thought we would give Nanea a try.
- We have two little kids.

Thanks in advance!
dlca1

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hi All

Was hoping to get some recommendations for Nanea building # requests.
- This is via StarOptions. We own Ocean View at WKORVN, but there was no availability and thought we would give Nanea a try.
- We have two little kids.

Thanks in advance!/
dlca1

Bldg #1 is closest to the ocean, walking path, and the kiddie pool, man made beach area.

Vacationgoer

Reaction score
We rented our 2BR Resort View July 4th week for 3,500. This more than covers our Maint fee. We used this week in 2017 but were unable in 2018. Used Red Week.
Thanks for the reply. Here are two questions: 1. In Westin Nanea, which one is easier to rent out, 1BR or 2BR (both resort view) villa? 2. You said you used Redweek to rent yours out, I have used Redweek too but never used TUG to rent out. Any insights about the pros and cons using Redweek as opposed using TUG to rent Westin Nanea weeks? Look forward to any replies.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Thanks for the reply. Here are two questions: 1. In Westin Nanea, which one is easier to rent out, 1BR or 2BR (both resort view) villa? ....

Nanea has 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units. Most are 2 bedroom. One-bedroom units are hard to come by.

BeefyToes

Reaction score
Just a little more information. Just got back from our stay at Nanea and a presentation. They are currently at 47% filled (though the second time I inquired later on in the presentation, he bumped it to 50% filled).