• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VAC/ILG shareholder activism speculation [THREAD CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I think they will keep them separate. There some anomalies in the StarOption schedule (like HRA in summer) and MOC has a major point premium versus WKORV. It would be hard to fix this in point allocations. Plus, Marriott doesn't need more Orlando properties.

I think trying to blend them would only create headaches that Marriott doesn't want and I think any cross pollination would be limited and done through Explorer Collection where they can advertise the possibility but never have to actually deliver it.

I could see where StarOptions owners could enroll their weeks and get some form of access but Marriott property dumps any redeemed week into Interval or rents it versus actually putting it into the Exchange. It will be interesting to see it develop over time.

Best,

Greg

This is already true as Ritz Carlton has a (small) timeshare system and it is separate from MVC but owners can access the separate clubs.

BigMac

Reaction score
Last Friday Oct. 6th on CNBC"s Mad Money, Jim Kramer spoke with Stephen Weisz, the CEO of VAC. Kramer brought up the news about VAC bidding for ILG and adding that he thought it was a good move. Weisz did not confirm or deny this which I think means they are probably doing something.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Last Friday Oct. 6th on CNBC"s Mad Money, Jim Kramer spoke with Stephen Weisz, the CEO of VAC. Kramer brought up the news about VAC bidding for ILG and adding that he thought it was a good move. Weisz did not confirm or deny this which I think means they are probably doing something.

Here's a link to the interview with Cramer:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/06/mar...e-ceo-talks-millennials-hurricane-impact.html

I had posted this a couple days ago in the Hurricane Irma thread since the most informative thing Weisz said was about the status of the St Thomas resorts, but since it was mentioned here, I thought I would repost the link.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that Marriott Vacations made on offer. It seems that either ILG is not accepting or there are additional negotiations happening. I am willing to bet the biggest hangup will be who heads the combined companies, Craig Nash or Steve Weisz.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all interesting to me. When I look at what is going on with Marriott/Starwood, it wouldn't be surprising for them to try to buy Hyatt also. This would give them most of the 3 and 4 star properties and some 5 star with Ritz Carlton. Marriott has been upgrading their brands and doesn't really compete in the discount hotel business any longer.

With timeshares, I think the industry is just about done and is in the process of being transformed into vacation ownership. Having access to good inventory that is in high demand is the key ingredient in this business going forward. I actually think Marriott has it figured out, but their pricing/value isn't always in sync.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The other thing I could see happening if the VAC/ILG combination happens, is VAC changes their name to eliminate "Marriott" from the corporate name - maybe it just becomes Vacations Worldwide Corporation. They would then operate Marriott Vacation Club, Vistana, Hyatt, Interval International, etc. That would make it easier to keep all of the brands/programs separate, and then offer some type of internal exchange program either within II or separate from II, if they decide they want it to be more points-based than weeks-based.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
With timeshares, I think the industry is just about done and is in the process of being transformed into vacation ownership.

What is the difference between "timeshare" and "vacation ownership" as used by Big Matt?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What is the difference between "timeshare" and "vacation ownership" as used by Big Matt?
Nothing really, just a way of branding timeshares so they don't have 'timeshare' in the name.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is marketing their Destination Club points as being able to use for vacationing experience beyond timeshare (resorts). DC points can be used to book cruises (horrible value - 50% mark up), land tours (about 10 to 20% mark up), events, luxury homes (large luxurious homes) etc.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With all the ads on the radio for how to get rid of your timeshare, maybe "TimeShare" is becoming a four letter word....
Timeshare had been a four letter word for the longest time. Whenever I use that word amongst people whom I know who do not own timeshare, they usually give me the look that say "Oh my she is so stupid" to "I feel sorry for her".

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Makes me wonder if this is the first step to Marriott getting all of Hyatt too?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Timeshare had been a four letter word for the longest time. Whenever I use that word amongst people whom I know who do not own timeshare, they usually give me the look that say "Oh my she is so stupid" to "I feel sorry for her".

+1 The sales process gives it a bad name. I am surprised a major news outlet hasn't done an undercover expose.

People don't have the same reaction when someone buys an expensive yacht or RV yet these items have similar loss in value and maintenance/docking/storage fees. AND they are not easy to sell when you are done.

Timeshares = Horrendous Sales Process but an Excellent Product (resorts)

BTW...I just came across this 2016 article on Timesharing in Consumer Reports:

The Timeshare Comes of Age

https://www.consumerreports.org/travel/the-timeshare-comes-of-age/

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like it’s gonna happen. I just wish I owned the stock. Look at this link to THE STREET report

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interested in seeing if this happens. I hope it does and I can combine my resale KoOlina with my Vistana units.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Very interested in seeing if this happens. I hope it does and I can combine my resale KoOlina with my Vistana units.
Even if it happens, there is no guaranty that they will allow any type of cross over between the two systems.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know, one can hope.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they permit the cross over, I doubt that they will do it for almost free like they did for the enrollment of weeks owners in the DC system if they spend a lot of money to acquire ILG.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If they permit the cross over, I doubt that they will do it for almost free like they did for the enrollment of weeks owners in the DC system if they spend a lot of money to acquire ILG.
I doubt that VAC will actually pay out any cash in such a transaction. They will probably just issue VAC stock to ILG stock holders. Either way, they will want to use a merger or acquisition to save and make more money. They would be able to save money by merging back end operations. They can make more money by charging owners more fees and enrollment fees would be a big way to do that.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Fees for Vistana and Hyatt owners to use Marriott properties?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Fees for Vistana and Hyatt owners to use Marriott properties?
I doubt that is going to happen. I suspect the model will be like Wyndham's. Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott all kept as different systems. But if you buy from developer, then at 10 months, you can book at another system.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt that is going to happen. I suspect the model will be like Wyndham's. Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott all kept as different systems. But if you buy from developer, then at 10 months, you can book at the another system.
That would make sense so they make new money. I hope they simply merge. Marriott owners may be interested in Hyatt or Vistana properties.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That would make sense so they make new money. I hope they simply merge. Marriott owners may be interested in Hyatt or Vistana properties.
Their goal is only to make more money for their shareholders and C-suite. There is no money in simply merging to provide greater access to EXISTING owners. It is always about selling up.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that. But, how do you explain the Marriott free week enrollments and Starwood allowing owners from resorts they bought to become VSN owners?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
No money was made there.

Status
Not open for further replies.