• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Online car rental confirmed - big error made in my favor

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever searched and made an online car rental reservation that is clearly wrong in favor of the renter re total rental cost? This is the first for me! Like a winning lottery ticket, but my question is do you think the rental company will 'honor' this error with their confirmed booking paperwork when I arrive.

The company's online rental form allowed me to fill in my renter information and it generated a confirmation code to reserve and pay later. My reservation is for Hawaii, 21 days at a total cost of $185 for a 'surprise' car. Clearly a computer error has been made as the rental charge for 21 days is "0", with the other costs of licencing fee and state rental surcharge totaling $185.

Advice? !!!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Can you go to the company's website and search for your reservation there to see what it says the price is?

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luanne
That was great advice. Despite booking the reservation directly on the company's website and having a confirmed reservation, when I pulled up the reservation on the company's site, the dollar costs were entirely different...way too much....so I cancelled. The old adage that you never receive anything for nothing holds true once again! Thanks....so hopeful - ha ha

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Luanne
That was great advice. Despite booking the reservation directly on the company's website and having a confirmed reservation, when I pulled up the reservation on the company's site, the dollar costs were entirely different...way too much....so I cancelled. The old adage that you never receive anything for nothing holds true once again! Thanks....so hopeful - ha ha
I've booked a few reservations lately through a third party (Costco, AutoSlash, Priceline) and when I've checked the website for the car rental company (Budget in all of these cases) the prices are different between the reseller and the car rental agency. They show the same Budget confirmation number, but the rentals differ. Not my as much as what you were quoted, usually between $10 to $20, but still. The first time this happened I called Budget and they couldn't explain it. I took my confirmation with me and when I went to pick the car up, the Budget rental desk had the same [lower] price as was shown on my confirmation. I was willing to risk it (and I would have complained later) for a $10 - $20 difference, but not for what you were talking about. Good thing you were able to find out.

Garden115

TUG Member
Reaction score
This happened to me. When they were done with all the added costs and taxes I paid more than expected.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
This happened to me. When they were done with all the added costs and taxes I paid more than expected.
When you get an email confirmation it should have all the fees included. At least that is what the email confirmations I've gotten from Costco have shown. And when I go to the car rental website it shows the total as well. If you have a confirmation showing the total cost and you end up being charged more, fight it. Or did you agree to additional options when you picked the car up?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Have you ever had a Store or Bank Clerk give you the wrong amount (whether a quarter to $40)? What did you do? I always call their attention to the matter and make sure I walk away with the correct amount. Karma you know. Once the Army over paid me about $6,000. I went down to the local Army Finance Office and got it straighten out. This was only a couple months before I was getting out. After it was all straight I asked the SFC wouldn't it had been caught when the Audited my Account at out processing. He said Nope all the proper computer entries were paid and the Army would have assumed I was owed the $6,000.

Also I believe you said for # of days it says 0 and not 21. So will you be happy if they give you a "Surprise Car" for $185 but for only 1 day?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Have you ever had a Store or Bank Clerk give you the wrong amount (whether a quarter to $40)? What did you do?

Once I went to a bank to deposit a paper paycheck (back in the day). I asked that it be put in savings, but the clerk credited it to checking.
When I drew his attention to it, he promptly credited the check to savings. On the way out, I looked at the slips... I could'a used double the $$, but turned around. Karma, as you say.

You'd assume that these days 'puters would "talk" to each other. But apparently, their communication skills are limited.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
All these stories sound great but in my situation I have no sympathy.

Online travel company issues what I thought was to be two $300 travel vouchers after getting no where and reaching out to a newspaper reporter/investigator. All of a sudden the case is looked at again.

I go to use the vouchers and am first told that the vouchers are only good for travel packages out of a country I am not a resident of and the company knew I was not a resident of but same country as newspaper. Get special approval to use the vouchers for hotel only. Am told to book the hotel and pay with a credit card and shortly will be refunded the value of the vouchers.

Can only book the same room type online when booking multiple rooms and need to use the vouchers in whole so book all king bed rooms. I call to book a room with two double beds and add my two kids to the reservation who could not be added at the time of booking when booking multiple rooms. I am told that the only way to gurantee the room type is to cancel what I have booked and rebook the room type that I want. I tell them I will take my chances and am told the request will be sent to the hotel.

Arrive at the resort and my room request is fine. I ask to pre check into the other two rooms and am told it is not needed. The other two parties arrive and check in. Eventually I am told by the other parties that they are each in a double bed unit. They had no idea what unit type they were booked for.

At check out resort says to contact the travel company about the problem with the room type. Travel company says they can only gurantee room type when it is the room type booked. My guess is that the company sent a request for all rooms to be doubles and have semi-confirmation on that from the company but they go back and forth. When contacting the supervisor I am told what is the difference if a couple gets two double beds instead of a king bed? She actually prefers two double beds with her husband when traveling as it is a place to put stuff. As it turns out my two sons slept with the in-laws so two double beds were fine for them but was it cause or effect?

After the trip, travel company tries to deny any compensation due because the room size was not as requested. Says hotel has not responded. I still think travel company sent a request for all 3 rooms to be changed to two double beds.

Told it is $300 per person but I have 6 vouchers as 6 people were affected by the issue last year. I thought I accepted $600 total. Finally told vouchers are non transferable which makes one of the rooms ineligible to be apart of using the vouchers. But they will accept $900 in vouchers to pay for under $700 that I paid and I can keep the two vouchers for my sons and myself. My sons are free when booking hotels even if I travel alone. So not much use unless booking a vacation package from a country I visit and not live.

I do not know where the error was made between 2 $300 vouchers and 6 $300 vouchers. But I do know that the company is a pain to deal with and has wasted more of my time then most would take. I will allow this company to compensate me an amount they think is right but I think is wrong plus for the actual problems that they have caused me. I 100% blame them for this and expect to be compensated for my time and frustration as well as the initial compensation.