• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Red Sox Fans: Our fat 3rd baseman is now your fat 3rd baseman [update]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Pablo Sandoval has been DFA'd - designated for assignment, by the Red Sox. This is tantamount to being released by the team. The Red Sox still owe him more than $40 Million. OUCH! :eek:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and the last nail in the coffin (at least in Boston).

As hard as the Giants are to watch this season, at least we don't have this contract burden on our hands...

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
...and the last nail in the coffin (at least in Boston).

As hard as the Giants are to watch this season, at least we don't have this contract burden on our hands...

I agree. Not signing Pablo was a smart move by the Giants. He had some great moments with us, but there were too many warning signs that warranted us moving on.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Not signing Pablo was a smart move by the Giants. He had some great moments with us, but there were too many warning signs that warranted us moving on.
Well, to be accurate, we actually tried to match the contract offer. So, it is more like we are lucky he chose them over us. That being said, maybe things turn out differently if he re-signs with the Giants -- but I doubt it. You can carry and mask the weight when you are younger, but age catches up with you at some point.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think so, there were several stories after he signed with the Red Sox that the Giants offered just enough not to be insulting, but not enough to get him.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I can't imagine that the Panda will get signed with anyone, at least for the remainder of this year. Even with the Red Sox picking up his ginormous salary, who wants an overweight, injury-prone, range-limited fat 3rd baseman who can't hit his weight even when he's healthy? What a sad end to what was once such a promising career.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, there were several stories after he signed with the Red Sox that the Giants offered just enough not to be insulting, but not enough to get him.
According to one of the beat writers, they offered a similar deal and were willing to match. It wasn't about money.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/11/23/why-pablo-sandoval-chose-boston-red-sox-over-giants/

We could have very well been stuck with him had he preferred to stay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh no - Pablo is saying he wants to go back to the Giants!

Pablo was outspoken after he left the Giants about how unreasonable the Giants were about watching his weight and making him work out. Boo hoo Pablo... :bawl::bawl::bawl:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Oh no - Pablo is saying he wants to go back to the Giants! .....

I saw that too. No way would they take him back. We may be at a time to trade off some players and start to rebuild around the nucleus.

Mike

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it's time to be sellers. Time to say goodbye to Cueto, Pence, Span if we can move him, maybe even Belt. Time to figure out how to gracefully say goodbye to Matt Cain, even though we'll have to pay him in order to open up a roster spot. Time to re-build the farm system.

The core is Bumgarner, Posey, Crawford, and Panik. That's the core. The rest of the team should be considered marketable or moveable, in one way or another.

We had a nice run, and those three World Series trophies gleam brightly at AT&T. Now it's time to hunker down and go through a few lean years. For Giants' fans, we understand what this process is and we can be patient.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
He was one of the quickest, most agile big guys I've ever seen play the game; he had reflexes with the best of them. Sadly, the more excess you carry, the sooner those gifts leave you. Too bad, he was a stone cold blast to watch.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I saw that too. No way would they take him back. We may be at a time to trade off some players and start to rebuild around the nucleus.

Mike

I stand corrected. There are now rumors that the Giants will sign him to a minor league contract. I'm ok with that. If they hold him to strict weight requirements, he may be able to provide some value. Our Minor league system is one of worst in baseball.

One thought I just had is that he was a fan favorite and we just broke our long streak of sellouts. So, it could be a bit of a PR move.

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where is the "BARF" emoji?

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I stand corrected. There are now rumors that the Giants will sign him to a minor league contract. I'm ok with that. If they hold him to strict weight requirements, he may be able to provide some value. Our Minor league system is one of worst in baseball.

One thought I just had is that he was a fan favorite and we just broke our long streak of sellouts. So, it could be a bit of a PR move.

Mike
:doh::doh::doh:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Mike

Yep, confirmed, he's going to play for the Sacramento Rivercats, Giants triple A affiliate.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Report-Giants-bringing-Pablo-Sandoval-back-11301015.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meh, minor league deal. Not much risk.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Likely not much risk with a minor league deal and if he can get the weight down, who knows?

Denise, please change the title of this thread to:
Our fat 3rd baseman was your fat 3rd baseman and now is our fat 3rd baseman again (at a huge discount)

At least we have something to talk about again this season. He'll probably is better off at 1st given his mobility issues.

-ryan

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Where is the "BARF" emoji?
They just resigned him. Starting with 3 days in San Jose.. not sure he is fix we needed.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They just resigned him. Starting with 3 days in San Jose.. not sure he is fix we needed.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
He isn't. Far from it. And according to press reports, there are still a number of Giants--including Buster Posey--who remember how he left San Francisco three years ago and dusted off his feet, so to speak. Pablo is going to have to do a lot of fence-mending and a lot of hitting to be welcomed back.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
He said all the right things today when he arrived at AT&T Park today. They also sent the 3rd baseman from Korea back to AAA and there is speculation they may trade Nunez. If Pablo gets himself straightened out he will probably get a chance with the major league team.

I'd rather see them get some youth, but let's see what happens.

Mike

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, the Giants mercifully finished off their worst season since 1985 and barely managed to avoid the ignominious achievement of losing 100 games. Final season record was 64-98. And they won in a walkoff today, thanks to our fat 3rd baseman (formerly the Red Sox's fat 3rd baseman, and formerly our fat 3rd baseman) Pablo Sandoval launching a long home run to end the game and the season.

The suffering is over, at least for now. Now it's time to root for anybody but the Dodgers in the playoffs :cheer:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Well, the Giants mercifully finished off their worst season since 1985 and barely managed to avoid the ignominious achievement of losing 100 games. Final season record was 64-98. And they won in a walkoff today, thanks to our fat 3rd baseman (formerly the Red Sox's fat 3rd baseman, and formerly our fat 3rd baseman) Pablo Sandoval launching a long home run to end the game and the season.

The suffering is over, at least for now. Now it's time to root for anybody but the Dodgers in the playoffs :cheer:

Terrible year for the Giants. Pablo didn't do much, which was expected by most of us. To top off everything else, his walk off home run cost the Giants the #1 pick in the draft. Not sure it makes a big difference having the #2 pick, but hopefully they can package it to get a power hitting outfield. Perhaps Giancarlo Stanton from Miami. I like their nucleus, but their window won't be open much longer.

Mike