• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Family reunion...where?

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I am looking for tips/advice. My daughter recently got married in Aruba and it gave many family members (over 100, in fact) the opportunity to travel and spend time together. Such a good time was had by everyone that it's been decided to hold a yearly reunion. A beach location is preferable and mid July works best for most.

The family is scattered in New Jersey, New Yok, South and North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Florida and Canada (majority in the ny/nj area).

We are trying to come up with a location convenient to most for driving as to avoid the extra expense of airfare to those traveling with children.

Requirements are: nice beach, fun activities, reasonable accommodations and dining options.

We are open to renting houses or several units in a timeshare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For a "nice beach," I'd suggest the Outer Banks of North Carolina-Virginia.
There are several TS's located in various places, up and down the islands.
Further North, Ocean City, Maryland, or further South, Myrtle Beach in SC.

But you may want to wait to see what's left after Irma passes by.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Consider Hilton Head, SC and Virginia Beach also.

Trudy

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you both for your suggestions. I was also thinking along the same lines.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
Thank you both for your suggestions. I was also thinking along the same lines.
If you have a wide range of ages and you want to go somewhere where there is lots to do than Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach would be the best options. Of these two, given that most of the people are in NYC/Jersey, Virginia Beach would minimize the driving for the group overall. The other factor would be which of these two locations have the best lodging options. Getting timeshare exchanges in both of these locations in July would be very difficult so you would be looking at condo/home rentals.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are thinking of family reunion in a campground, Normandy Farms in Foxboro,MA. They have RV sites, cabins and you can reserve an area for picnic. Going to call them for more info www.normandyfarms.com
Silentg

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A state park that rents cabins is a great idea -- I know that West Virginia does.

Long ago, I was in a nearby park with cabins for rent. I happened upon a large group of peep dressed in medieval garb engaged in sword-play and archery. It was weird. Then I discovered that they with the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and had rented out all the cabins.

mg_4815.jpg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestions are Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City, NJ, Eastern Shores,Va, Tybee Beach, Nage Head, NC and Cape Maye, , Delaware.
In booking Hilton Head Island and Nage Head, NC you must do some serious planning in advance
Nage Head, NC make better known as the Outer Banks or OBX have some very large private homes you can rent for a family reunion.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I know it isn't a beach but you might want to look into Massanutten. It is relatively easy to get multiple units even fairly last minute.
At beach locations you are going to have to confirm early and it is hard to get that many family members to give hard confirmations and to put up the money. Unless you are paying for everything or willing to front for everything that many bedrooms at the beach in July will be difficult.

Massanutten has enough activities to keep everyone busy even though there are fees for many of them but you still would be able cover group trips to the waterpark, trivia night, and other group activities with the savings and if if works out you can think about trying a beach the next time but you might need a full year to coordinate that one.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it isn't a beach but you might want to look into Massanutten. It is relatively easy to get multiple units even fairly last minute.
At beach locations you are going to have to confirm early and it is hard to get that many family members to give hard confirmations and to put up the money. Unless you are paying for everything or willing to front for everything that many bedrooms at the beach in July will be difficult.

Massanutten has enough activities to keep everyone busy even though there are fees for many of them but you still would be able cover group trips to the waterpark, trivia night, and other group activities with the savings and if if works out you can think about trying a beach the next time but you might need a full year to coordinate that one.

I agree Massanutten is an idea place for a large family reunion. Please check out their website. It is not on a beach; but they have a water park, golf, tennis, and a excellent pool complex all onsite.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten is a good suggestion and definitely something to consider. I'll do some research on it. Thank you.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many wonderful beaches in the Wilmington NC area with terrific homes for rent. Sunset Beach one of the southern most before you get to SC. Oak Island is a barrier island and very beautiful. Wrightsville Beach, Holden Beach. July is the most popular time and many families come back year after year. Start contacting rental companies now and plan to commit in Dec-Jan.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do a family reunion (although much smaller than yours) and we prefer to rent a house at the beach. Beaches offer everyone cheap entertainment (unlike some locations where a lot of your "entertainment" can get costly, like Orlando & Myrtle Beach). We enjoyed the Santa Rosa Beach area of Florida...there are a lot of big homes with swimming pools, lots of bike riding, and beautiful beaches (as well as stores and restaurants for those who need them). Our go-to place is Hilton Head though (and we'll be back again this summer). The fact that people can walk back and forth to the beach throughout the day and meet up, bike riding all over, convenient shopping, and beautiful homes with pools for evening & shaded nap time enjoyment keeps us coming back. If money is less an object and you are looking for a resort, check out Hammock Beach Resort in Florida (the "resort" portion with the immense pool complex, lazy river, indoor pool & beautiful beach) is VERY NICE! If you want a real island experience (without leaving the US) check out North Captiva Island, FL (I haven't been, but it's on my list).

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
....If you want a real island experience (without leaving the US) check out North Captiva Island, FL (I haven't been, but it's on my list).

Hi Paumavista,

I'm not sure if you are referring to Captiva Island or your specific reference to North Captiva Island which is accessible only by boat. For more info on Captiva Island and North Captiva Island see this previous Tug Thread - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/first-time-captiva-questions.241443/#post-1901561

Best regards

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay .. let me get this correctly ... you want to book a stay for around 100 family members near the beach in the Northeastern part of the USA in the summer vacation season? With timeshare 1bdr/2bdr units, that might be up to 25 units or more than 13 .... you would need for your family members... at one time.

Might be best to look at a decent size hotel or several shore vacation homes offered for rent by a realtor. Or book at a large Orlando resort.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm not sure if you are referring to Captiva Island or your specific reference to North Captiva Island which is accessible only by boat.

Years ago, we took a small sailboat into the bay off Captiva Island.
At one point, the rudder came off. I managed to beach the boat on N. Captiva.
There were no visible structures, and I thought we were marooned,

Then we came upon two ladies having a picnic. Their husbands had dropped them.
When they returned in their Boston Whaler, they towed us back to the marina.

North%20Captiva%203-16.JPG