• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best timeshare to own for Hawaii vacations

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Am new to this site and so glad to have found it. We are considering a buy in to a timeshare and are wondering what is the best company to go with. We love Kauai and Maui. We will definitely be buying on the resale market. Pros/Cons of booking in Hawaii with various companies? The top two we are looking at are Wyndham (lower maintenance fees) and Starwood (generally a little more upscale than Wyndham but higher MF's).
Thanks all for your input to a newbie.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The quality and amenities really vary at the Wyndham resorts. It really depends on what you are looking for in a resort.

I actually own at both the Westin, and a Kauai resort, that until Jan. 1, was a Wyndham resort. After you narrow it down, you should stay at a Wyndham resort and see how you like it.

Everyone is different: I don't care about fancy amenities - my #1 priority in Hawaii is a great ocean view.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi all,
Am new to this site and so glad to have found it. We are considering a buy in to a timeshare and are wondering what is the best company to go with. We love Kauai and Maui. We will definitely be buying on the resale market. Pros/Cons of booking in Hawaii with various companies? The top two we are looking at are Wyndham (lower maintenance fees) and Starwood (generally a little more upscale than Wyndham but higher MF's).

If you are considering Starwood you may want to consider Marriott as well. Marriott has two resorts on Kauai (Waiohai a purpose built resort in Poipu and Kauai Beach Villas a hotel conversion in Lihue) and one resort in Kaanapali on Maui (Maui Ocean Club a hotel conversion, and Maui Ocean Club Lahaina and Napili Towers a newer purpose built portion of the resort). Like the Westin resorts, Marriott is higher quality and higher costs.

Continue researching and learn as much about all of your options. Happy hunting.

Best regards.

Mike

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Starwood has among the highest MF's in the industry. If you buy Starwood, buy Westin Ka'anapali over Westin Princeville. Why? Because WKORV is a mandatory resort, meaning you will be able to use Starwood's internal trading system. Not only is it a convenience for you and an added feature of your ownership, but it will hold your resale value whenever you decide to sell. At WPORV, you will not have the internal trading option.

I would also encourage you to look at Hilton and Hyatt. At Hilton, their properties are pretty much centered in two places: Waikiki at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and on the Big Island at Waikoloa. Very nice properties, but some have much better ocean views than others, so do your research. Also, the Hilton system allows you to trade through its points system into many different properties in and away from Hawaii. Hyatt has only one Hawaii property at Ka'anapali, but it's fantastic. You can also use it to trade within the Hyatt Residence Club system.

One thing to be aware of: Hawaii MF's are very high. A lot of owners buy at a place with low MF's (Vegas, for example), never use their home resort, and then use their points to trade internally into Hawaii or externally through the external exchange system--typically II or RCI--with which their system is affiliated.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Definitely figure out what amenities are most important to you (beachfront, ocean view, location, central air, etc). For example for Starwood, most of the summer competition will occur at their beachfront property on Maui. The Starwood Kauai resort isn't a beachfront property but it too will be reserved quickly for high demand dates.

I just noticed your username mom of three plus one. Can you travel anytime during the year or are you limited based on a school calendar? If your travel is limited to a school calendar, you'll want to own at the Hawaii resort where you mostly want to stay.

Most competition for Hawaii timeshare reservations will occur when most families want to vacation which is when the majority of kids are out school (major holidays and Spring/Summer/Winter Break). Maui is also very popular during Whale Season (1st qtr of the year).

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely figure out what amenities are most important to you (beachfront, ocean view, location, central air, etc). For example for Starwood, most of the summer competition will occur at their beachfront property on Maui. The Starwood Kauai resort isn't a beachfront property but it too will be reserved quickly for high demand dates.

I just noticed your username mom of three plus one. Can you travel anytime during the year or are you limited based on a school calendar? If your travel is limited to a school calendar, you'll want to own at the Hawaii resort where you mostly want to stay.

Most competition for Hawaii timeshare reservations will occur when most families want to vacation which is when the majority of kids are out school (major holidays and Spring/Summer/Winter Break). Maui is also very popular during Whale Season (1st qtr of the year).

So, my husband and I are looking at taking our three youngest kids to Hawaii next September. While I'd prefer Aulani, I just don't have enough points (nor can I bring myself to spend that many points.) I have Wyndham and RCI. What are some good Hawaii TS, either Wyndham or perhaps RCI that I can try for OGS? Personally I just want to plunk myself on a beach the whole time and not have to stray all that far. I am thinking Oahu since we fly standby so September is probably one of our easier times to fly. But I don't recall Waikiki as being all that relaxing so we may need to change islands.

I really need some Hawaii advice.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
So, my husband and I are looking at taking our three youngest kids to Hawaii next September. While I'd prefer Aulani, I just don't have enough points (nor can I bring myself to spend that many points.) I have Wyndham and RCI. What are some good Hawaii TS, either Wyndham or perhaps RCI that I can try for OGS? Personally I just want to plunk myself on a beach the whole time and not have to stray all that far. I am thinking Oahu since we fly standby so September is probably one of our easier times to fly. But I don't recall Waikiki as being all that relaxing so we may need to change islands.

I think one of the best Hawaii timeshares of all--Wyndham or otherwise--is Shearwater at Princeville, Kauai. If having a great view and being right on the ocean is your idea of a Hawaii vacation, Shearwater is the place. You'll also have close access to the lovely little beach town of Hanalei, which is about two miles or so away, as well as having access to the Foodland supermarket (very good selection, at typically expensive Hawaii prices). Princeville has one of Hawaii's great golf courses--Princeville Makai Course--if you or any of your family play golf.

Kauai is the ultimate in relaxation--quiet, stunningly beautiful, and boasting the crowning touch of among the most beautiful sights in all of Hawaii--the Na Pali Cliffs, which can be seen by boat or by air (or actually hiking on them on the Kalalau Trail, but that's pretty strenuous and can be hazardous in rainy weather).

If you'll be traveling with kids, be sure to rent a car so that you can include excursions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Personally I just want to plunk myself on a beach the whole time and not have to stray all that far.

Rethink this: There are so many beautiful and unique places to visit and explore in Hawaii - you will miss so much if you just plunk yourself down on the beach. Since the airfare from Virginia is going to be quite expensive, and a long flight, you will want to make the most of your trip and explore the island that you visit.

If you really just want to sit on the beach, you could do a far less expensive vacation on the East Coast or Florida.

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rethink this: There are so many beautiful and unique places to visit and explore in Hawaii - you will miss so much if you just plunk yourself down on the beach. Since the airfare from Virginia is going to be quite expensive, you will want to make the most of your trip and explore the island that you visit.

If you really just want to sit on the beach, you could do a far less expensive vacation on the East Coast or Florida.

I am really going to have to do my homework on this one. :)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you want to be right on the water on Kauai you need to look at Lihue, Kapaa, or Poipu area. Many of the Princeville Timeshares are very nice but none of them are on the beach. While it is only a couple miles from Princeville to Hanalei it is a two lane road, partially a steep hill, and has a one way bridge on the road. I don't want to scare you off wemhave traveled that road many times. We have stayed on both ends of Kauai. We have stayed several times at Bali Hai and Point at Poipu.

Each Island offers something different. My favorite is Maui. Patti's favorite is Kauai. But we have also enjoyed the BI Hawaii.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For us anyway, we wanted to be very close to the ocean with an ocean view above any other consideration. We chose Vacation Internationale because of the older resorts right on the ocean and the length of contract. We bought a 190 point RTU contract resale that would expire in 8 years. We have 3 years left after this next trip. They are older resorts but because they are older, the resorts are built before building codes prohibited building so close to the shoreline.

We also use the Vacation Internationale for short stays at resorts near us.

Bill

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
As noted, lot's of variables and personal preference involved. It really depends on unit size needs, quality expectations, frequency of travel, flexibility, and how far in advance you can plan among other variables. It also depends on whether you plan to use the system for other locations I like Marriott and Westin because that's the quality we prefer. Wyndham is a good points system for travel to many places, esp in the US. While I'm not as knowledgeable about Diamond, it does cover some of the areas in question with nice resorts and offers some nice options for travel across the world. Unless you'll go at least EOY, I'd consider not buying or at least look at options to minimize your commitments. For example, two EOY Marriott's used every 4th year. Just spend time gathering an education. For this situation it may take a year or more to get sufficient info. Even then a private rental trip aimed at your likely options may be best unless you have a lot of HI experience otherwise AND sufficient timeshare experience.

sheweeble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Wyndham Properties on The Big Island and Oahu. Enjoy them both, but our favourite is the first timeshare we bought back in 1992, Lawai Beach Resort on Kauai. It is ocean front, as an owner you are able to book 2 years out. We own a couple of weeks and never trade with them. If you want to trade they trade on RCI, Trading Places, Hawaii Timeshare Exchange or a number of others

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As of a,few,days ago there were some Lawai Condos for sale on EBAY.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are almost done with the long Hawaiian flights and are going on our last trip in December. We purchased four Waikiki weeks from an HOA for $500 a week about 20 years ago. Maintence fees have gone up from under $400 per week to almost $600. We never had actual title for the weeks but the right to use and can simply turn them back to the HOA which we will do after our last trip in December. Our resort is a simple one bedroom condo but we have usually gotten two weeks when we deposit and had all the weeks our family could use. Timeshares have been a good value for us and having this many weeks let’s us trade for new destinations. It is sad in a way to say good bye to our almost three years total staying in many places in the world on four different continents.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We are almost done with the long Hawaiian flights and are going on our last trip in December. We purchased four Waikiki weeks from an HOA for $500 a week about 20 years ago. Maintence fees have gone up from under $400 per week to almost $600. We never had actual title for the weeks but the right to use and can simply turn them back to the HOA which we will do after our last trip in December. Our resort is a simple one bedroom condo but we have usually gotten two weeks when we deposit and had all the weeks our family could use. Timeshares have been a good value for us and having this many weeks let’s us trade for new destinations. It is sad in a way to say good bye to our almost three years total staying in many places in the world on four different continents.

Not sad at all! It's a bittersweet ending to 20 years of memories made, new friends and old and time spent together.
I wish could go back in time and take more vacations than I did with my family.
Once the kids are gone, you just can't get those memories back.
I'm now in 'grandkid waiting mode. Humph.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

A quick point to echo others: many locations in Hawaii are not directly ocean front. Some, which are, are NOT suitable for younger children to swim unmonitored or at all!!!!
So, if having the kiddies/teens play in the water while you sunbathe is your thing: think Poipu beach (fantastic but small) and the nearby pool with kiddie features and a bar etc.. etc.. I just picked Poipu for an example, but make sure you know what the beach location is like if that's important. Maui beaches are also fantastic. Oahu beaches can get very very rough, crowded and all beaches in HI can close due to rips etc...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed: I have never been to the beach on the east coast or Florida, but my husband who is from the East Coast tells me that the beaches and ocean conditions are much different than Hawaii. In Hawaii, many beaches have steep drop-offs and vigorous wave action, and no life guards. So as a parent, you have to be actively in the water with your children, and they should be wearing real flotation devices (not just water wings.)

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Agreed: I have never been to the beach on the east coast or Florida, but my husband who is from the East Coast tells me that the beaches and ocean conditions are much different than Hawaii. In Hawaii, many beaches have steep drop-offs and vigorous wave action, and no life guards. So as a parent, you have to be actively in the water with your children, and they should be wearing real flotation devices (not just water wings.)
Yes, although we love Hawaii, when we walk out on the beach at St Augustine Beach in FL, it is so wide and long, my husband says, "We don't see beaches like this in Hawaii."

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A quick point to echo others: many locations in Hawaii are not directly ocean front. Some, which are, are NOT suitable for younger children to swim unmonitored or at all!!!!
So, if having the kiddies/teens play in the water while you sunbathe is your thing: think Poipu beach (fantastic but small) and the nearby pool with kiddie features and a bar etc.. etc.. I just picked Poipu for an example, but make sure you know what the beach location is like if that's important. Maui beaches are also fantastic. Oahu beaches can get very very rough, crowded and all beaches in HI can close due to rips etc...

I almost drowned in Poipu Beach.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, those unfamiliar with strong ocean currents, rip tides and the difference between a protected lagoon and the open ocean just beyond the reef..... should be especially vigilant when at the beach. As I said....all beaches (in HI) can close (or be dangerous etc...) due to riptides etc..... Sorry you had troubles.

Poipu is a very safe beach, when monitored, in shallow water and in the absence of unusual surf or strong rips. IMHO. We swim/snorkel there all the time. Stay out of the mouth of the lagoons and away from the seals/rocks/outer surf.

poipu-beach-aerial.jpg

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, Hawaii beaches aren't like many in FL or Oregon for that matter. Different kind of terrain. FL is just slightly above sea level and Oregon is a much older bit of land.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We first bought in HI when our kids were young and for us beachfront - not just oceanfront - was essential. We chose Waikiki and Poipu Beaches - so Hilton Hawaiian Village and Marriott Waiohai. We have since added Marriott Maui Ocean Club (Kaanapali Beach). We own every other year (EOY) weeks in all three locations so don't have to deal with the hassles of trading into HI or trading out on the 'off' years. YMMV.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I have to concur on Poipu - hard to do better than this one.
And Marriott Waiohai is a couple of hundred feet from it. it's as beachfront as you can get and a high caliber resort as well.
The MF are on the order of $2000 per year, for annual usage.
High, but consider that all units are 2BR and over 1100 sq ft.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Poipu Beach is beautiful, offers wading for kids and snorkeling for all, and is only about 50 feet from the Waiohai (where we'll be in four weeks).

But the currents change very quickly, the water is deep in places (such as near the rocks just past the sandspit in the photo), and one must be careful and vigilant.

Rob--thanks for posting that fantastic photo.