• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irma and Marriott Vacation Club (Multiple threads merged.)

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Crystal Shores was for sure impacted. We stayed in the building to the right side.

upload_2017-9-12_20-55-39.png

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Hilton head, there is a very interesting comment on the Facebook page for barony(which has the same copy and past message as all HHi MVCI) as they note that they were able to check into the Marriott hotel on Hilton head today with no problem. So hopefully this means the timeshares opening sooner than later.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received a call from Martiott surfwatch, HH . Trying to set up a presentation. They said they are having done check/ins this Friday, and the other HH properties are reopening this Saturday.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Just received a call from Martiott surfwatch, HH . Trying to set up a presentation. They said they are having done check/ins this Friday, and the other HH properties are reopening this Saturday.

Thanks for the update

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_1789_zpsoxoj0y8s.jpg

Marriott Frenchman's Cove/Reef/Morningstar on recent flyover...
You can see a sailboat crashed on the Cove beach.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Hilton Head Hotline 800-306-9506 Option 2 was just updated. Different re-opening info for specific HHI resorts is now available.

Sounds like Heritage Club opening Friday
Grande Ocean and SurfWatch opening Saturday
... and others still unknown.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Here are the dates per the hotline recording:

Heritage Club - Friday Sept 15

Grande Ocean and Surfwatch - Saturday Sept 16

Barony, Monarch, Harbor Club, Harbour Point and Sunset Point are still closed and opening TBD

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

sawhaley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove
Waterside by Spinnaker
IMG_1789_zpsoxoj0y8s.jpg

Marriott Frenchman's Cove/Reef/Morningstar on recent flyover...
You can see a sailboat crashed on the Cove beach.

It's so hard to tell from the picture, but other than the boat on the beach, The Cove appears to have weathered the storm fairly well. Anyone have any better information? I've been scouring the interwebs for pictures, but I'm just not seeing anything posted.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just FYI now that opening dates have been announced for Grande Ocean, Surfwatch, and Heritage Club...for anyone planning to drive to Hilton Head over the next few days, you should keep track of traffic on whatever traffic/maps app you use and plan your drive accordingly. Right now all of the traffic heading back to Florida has southbound I-95 showing as "orange" or "red" on Google Maps from I-26 all the way to the Georgia line (86 miles). Traffic also appears stop and go on I-26 between I-77 and I-95 (about 50 miles or so). Hopefully by Saturday things will thin out some as people get back to their homes in Florida. It was equally bad yesterday afternoon when I checked, although this morning at around 9 or 10 am it was only slow in a few spots. Not sure how much gasoline is being depleted along I-95, but planning your fuel stops to avoid the busiest areas could be important.

merriot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, for those interested in Ocean Pointe...they are closed through the 22nd of Sept...we are supposed to check in Sept. 24...just heard via the hotline phone number they sustained some damage and are closed through the 22nd...wondering what to do...also heard today some friends are on their way back to their Boynton Beach apartment and they have power, etc. Anyone hear anything about Ocean Pointe?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Just FYI now that opening dates have been announced for Grande Ocean, Surfwatch, and Heritage Club...for anyone planning to drive to Hilton Head over the next few days, you should keep track of traffic on whatever traffic/maps app you use and plan your drive accordingly. Right now all of the traffic heading back to Florida has southbound I-95 showing as "orange" or "red" on Google Maps from I-26 all the way to the Georgia line (86 miles). Traffic also appears stop and go on I-26 between I-77 and I-95 (about 50 miles or so). Hopefully by Saturday things will thin out some as people get back to their homes in Florida. It was equally bad yesterday afternoon when I checked, although this morning at around 9 or 10 am it was only slow in a few spots. Not sure how much gasoline is being depleted along I-95, but planning your fuel stops to avoid the busiest areas could be important.

Thanks, Jim. We're heading down Sun/Mon and will make sure to keep an eye on things the closer we get to HHI.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the picture, it appears that the beachfront building at Marco Island is falling over. Am I seeing this correctly? This would be a major catastrophe since those villas are the prime units on the property. This building is much older and was formerly a Radisson Hotel, so perhaps the construction standards weren't strong enough to withstand hurricanes. This is a real shame and I feel sorry for owners and employees. This is a very well run property and was looking forward to their significant expansion and upgrade. I hope the leaning building is just an 'illusion'.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Based on the picture, it appears that the beachfront building at Marco Island is falling over. Am I seeing this correctly? This would be a major catastrophe since those villas are the prime units on the property. This building is much older and was formerly a Radisson Hotel, so perhaps the construction standards weren't strong enough to withstand hurricanes. This is a real shame and I feel sorry for owners and employees. This is a very well run property and was looking forward to their significant expansion and upgrade. I hope the leaning building is just an 'illusion'.
I think that is just the perspective from a satellite shot. If it were, you would see some destruction to the ocean side building that is perpendicular to the gulf. There is no damage there.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

It's most certainly an "illusion" or artifact of the way the aerial photos were shot and stitched together. It you look at the original photos in the link in post #100 and zoom in on Crystal Shores, you can even see what appears to be part of another building sorta fading away just north of the back building. These shots appear to be taken from an airplane with multiple flights based on some of the notations under the "downloads" menu on the NOAA web page (it allows you to download images from Sept 11 Flight 1, Sept 11 Flight 2, Sept 12, etc). Looks like there were two sets of images of Crystal Shores that were stitched together poorly.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There is definitively damage to the back building at Crystal Shores. If you zoom way in, you can see what appears to be metal sheeting on the ground in front of the building. Is this perhaps just some roofing flashing that was at one time on top of the building for cosmetic purposes? You can see some of it still up there, though not in the right place.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to tell from the picture, but other than the boat on the beach, The Cove appears to have weathered the storm fairly well. Anyone have any better information? I've been scouring the interwebs for pictures, but I'm just not seeing anything posted.

Errr... Hmm.. Take a closer look at the tree's and landscape. All of the vegetation has been stripped of foliage and leaves.

Also look at the color of the water in what used to be the swimming pools. Would you swim in a green algae pool at a luxury resort? I don't think so. Maybe the buildings held up. But there is most definitely damage.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Errr... Hmm.. Take a closer look at the tree's and landscape. All of the vegetation has been stripped of foliage and leaves.

Also look at the color of the water in what used to be the swimming pools. Would you swim in a green algae pool at a luxury resort? I don't think so. Maybe the buildings held up. But there is most definitely damage.
I haven't seen as many photos from St Thomas, but St Thomas is pretty much stripped of vegetation. There are no green leaves on anything. The color of the water is more probably just dirt and foliage that has been blown in. It will all have to be cleaned and will probably take weeks. The trees will be replaced or will grow back over time, but the island won't look the same for several years.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned already. I am watching and hearing on the cable news that there are many reports of looting, gangs with machete's, hold ups. Very disappointed in the actions of the local citizens of these islands. Is this what they are really made of? Is this how they behave when nobody is looking. Not sure I will be patronizing these places due to their hidden agenda.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This may have been mentioned already. I am watching and hearing on the cable news that there are many reports of looting, gangs with machete's, hold ups. Very disappointed in the actions of the local citizens of these islands. Is this what they are really made of? Is this how they behave when nobody is looking. Not sure I will be patronizing these places due to their hidden agenda.
I had read about that on Saint Martin/Sint Maarten. Not sure that the USVI has had as big of an issue, though thefts and looting had been reported on St John. The problem is that no one was looking. The local police force was not prepared and overwhelmed. Unfortunately people in desperate situations can do the unspeakable, especially in places like Saint Martin where there was a total loss of government infrastructure, no food, no water and no electricity. It left people with no hope. I don't condone any of these actions, but I also I don't ever want to be in their shoes in the same fight for survival.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Unfortunately people in desperate situations can do the unspeakable, especially in places like Saint Martin where there was a total loss of government infrastructure, no food, no water and no electricity. It left people with no hope. I don't condone any of these actions, but I also I don't ever want to be in their shoes in the same fight for survival.
Agreed dioxide45...in a much less severe situation here in usually calm and civil Connecticut a few years back when a major snowstorm caused major extended power outages across the state for a week or more in some areas, when a few gas stations here and there had their power restored and the long lines started where people were waiting hours to get gas for their home generators, etc....fights broke out, knifings, etc, etc. all over getting gas. Portable home generators were being stolen right from peoples yards while in operation. And that was just from being out of power for a week. No major damage to homes and no lack of food like these folks are experiencing.

There is a very thin line between control and chaos in situations like this, and there is little difference in how some people react whether on an island in the Caribbean or in little old Connecticut, USA.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a very thin line between control and chaos in situations like this, and there is little difference in how some people react whether on an island in the Caribbean or in little old Connecticut, USA.

Or in any place where you have a huge disparity in wealth, and, therefore, in the means to prepare and rebound from disasters. But I think it's a disproportionate response to call what happened a "hidden agenda" on behalf of "the local citizens." Tragic, disappointing, heartbreaking, scary, yes....but not a "hidden agenda" on behalf of all full-time residents. I would say that the vast majority of "local citizens" responded by trying to help their neighbors as much as they could in a world that was turned upside down.