• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best rci points for the buck

tdfam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone advise which resorts give the most RCI points for the least maintenance fees. It can be a points resort or a weeks resort that can be converted to points. Thank you.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We hear that the best bang for the MF buck is Grandview in Las Vegas. iirc, a 2 bedroom- which is really 2- one bedroom units- gets 122,000 for something like $800/yr in MF. However this little tidbit has become known and the sales prices of converted (to points) units has skyrocketed. Anytime you can find one with points at-or near a penny (of MF) a point is considered pretty good.

Jim

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I get 137,000 per year with MF @ $775 for a 4BR LO at Woodstone Massanutten.

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
4 bedroom lockoff at the summit at Massanutten is weeks, but can be pfd'd into 121000 points. MF is 785. You have to own a points resort to be eligible to pfd though. You can buy a triennial Grandview that gets 49000 every 3rd year. MF is only 128 so combined mf of just over 900 for 137333 points per year. A lot cheaper to obtain than 122000 Grandview

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
4 bedroom lockoff at the summit at Massanutten is weeks, but can be pfd'd into 121000 points. MF is 785. You have to own a points resort to be eligible to pfd though. You can buy a triennial Grandview that gets 49000 every 3rd year. MF is only 128 so combined mf of just over 900 for 137333 points per year. A lot cheaper to obtain than 122000 Grandview

I thought once a resort was in RCI points I thought it was no longer eligible for PFD?

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is true, but the summit is weeks, not points. Woodstone is points

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Woodstone and Regal Vistas at Massanutten are in points but you don't see the high season weeks (the ones with the highest points) that have been converted for resale very often. I avoid updates at Massanutten so I don't know what the fee to convert would be or if they would allow a straight conversion without an additional purchase. Several years back when they first moved to points one of the salespersons indicated that Massanutten (Great Eastern) had to pay several hundred thousands to RCI as a one time payment in order to get the high points allowances that they received vs what they would have received without the extra one time cash payment and that accordingly Massanutten will charge a high fee to help recoup on their investment.

m2736185

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay,

so Summit can no longer be traded for points only exchanged? Do we know that woodstone and regal will not be joining RCI as well?

kukenan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay,

so Summit can no longer be traded for points only exchanged? Do we know that woodstone and regal will not be joining RCI as well?

Summit still in weeks, so can be used for PFD or TPU in RCI. Woodstone and Regal are in RCI points, so can't be used to PFD, but fixed or floats weeks there can be converted to points for a high fee, high points deeds there aren't in the resale market yet.

tdfam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can Grandview weeks properties be PFD? If so do they still give a favorable points to maintenance fee?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No Grandview is points property and can not be PFD. If a resort code has any points members it can not be used for PFD. Massanutten has several HOA's with separate RCI numbers. Ones that are still in weeks can PFD. Ones in points can not. If you see a RCI points chart in the directory and the resort is listed as points it is not eligible for PFD. The reason for PFD is to allow owners with points who also own at non points weeks to use RCI points. Once a resort is selling their own conversion, RCI stops allowing PFD as is is a cheap alternate competitor for the resort who is selling the conversion and RCI has agreed to bow out of the PFD process for that resort because why would anyone pay $1000-$5000 to convert when they could pay a very nominal PFD fee to RCI.

needgeech

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit 4BR, Grandview and Woodstone points
Anybody know if Woodstone or RV exercises ROFR on ebay/CL/etc. "cheap" resales??

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
There isn't anything stopping the developer from converting the summit units to points though, which would eliminate the option to do PFD. Bit of a risk there, so might make sense to have a backup usage plan.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There isn't anything stopping the developer from converting the summit units to points though, which would eliminate the option to do PFD. Bit of a risk there, so might make sense to have a backup usage plan.
While I agree that it is a risk but because there are 1-52 deeded Summit weeks, fixed summit weeks and much more limited off season float weeks it would be hard to put a coherent point value for the mish mash of contract types- all in the same Summit HOA. I can't see them converting to RCI points but you never know.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can land a deal at grandview if you are willing to settle for a 98K contract. Still a ton of points, but they can sell for a lot less than at 122K contract.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes 'more' isn't necessarily better. I own a nice 2BR 2BA TS in Arizona. It gives me almost 60,000 RCI points a year for around $800. There are better deals around, but also some not so good. The important thing is that timesharing is not the only way we vacation. I have found that I usually 'spend' around 35K for a week in a nice 1 BR unit. So That means I get easily 2 weeks for that $800 MF. PLUS $500 in RCI Exchange fees AND $100 RCI membership.

Imagine having 122K to spend every year. If you just need 1BR units, You'd have roughly 4 a year, pay RCI $1100 + your MF+ transportation. It may nbe exactly what you want, but if the idea of timesharing is to vacation on the cheap, this seems to defeat the purpose.

Jim

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can land a deal at grandview if you are willing to settle for a 98K contract. Still a ton of points, but they can sell for a lot less than at 122K contract.
Agreed. Some of the 98,000 contracts sell for $1500+ Without current year's use. But sometimes you can get them almost free. I was recently able to get a week through ebay for $1000 total including all closing/transfer/rci transfer fees that included 2018 points (which would have been $804 in maintenance fees.) So basically it was $200. It's not as good as a 122,000 contract, but the upfront cost was almost nothing. However, over 5 years, the 122,000 contract will get an additional 110,000 points. That's worth half the cost of a 122,000 point contract. It seems the 122,000 point contracts hold their resale value, so if you have the cash available, it seems to make better sense to get a 122,000 contract at Grandview (assuming you need 122,000 points a year.)

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Some of the 98,000 contracts sell for $1500+ Without current year's use. But sometimes you can get them almost free. I was recently able to get a week through ebay for $1000 total including all closing/transfer/rci transfer fees that included 2018 points (which would have been $804 in maintenance fees.) So basically it was $200. It's not as good as a 122,000 contract, but the upfront cost was almost nothing. However, over 5 years, the 122,000 contract will get an additional 110,000 points. That's worth half the cost of a 122,000 point contract. It seems the 122,000 point contracts hold their resale value, so if you have the cash available, it seems to make better sense to get a 122,000 contract at Grandview (assuming you need 122,000 points a year.)

Yes, landed a deal for $250 all-in on a 98K contract. I figured if we decided we didn't like it, we could at least not be hurt unloading it. So far it's been a great value for us.